PDA

View Full Version : Memo to SF or Oak: Please take V Davis

patmoran2006
03-11-2006, 05:59 PM
With the "addition" of Robert Royal, lets be the first to call him "Bob." anyone (including myself) who had grand illusions of Buffalo taking Vernon Davis with their first pick in the draft can now scratch that hope..

Spending $10 million on Bob Royal destroys any chance of a draft day shocker. Anyone's who read my various BillsZone columns knows how I feel about Davis. I said in my column last week he'd be the best pro of ANYONE in the draft. I still feel that way, but I digress.

With the acquistion of Bob the tight end guy from the Skins that pretty much says either Haloti Ngata or Broderik Bunkley is coming to town when the Bills pick 8th. Michael Huff may still be high on the Bills board but Buffalo is already looking at safeties

(for the record, not too put much stock into rankings, but Bob wasnt even ranked among the Top 20 TE FA's according to scout.com)

Anyway.. MY point is this.. I really hope to God that Vernon Davis goes in the draft to either the 49ers or the Raiders in the draft before Buffalo selects... It will pain me to see us pass on him because we already signed Bob..

And Draft fans, dont give me that crap ANY LONGER that we already have Everett and Davis wasnt a need. If that's true, then why are we paying a TE $2 million per year as our first move?

L.A. Playa
03-11-2006, 06:07 PM
you are quickly becoming the new Op, here is something to help you out

http://members.aol.com/montaukny/myhomepage/midol.jpg

Philagape
03-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Just because we signed Royal doesn't mean we're going to keep him. Remember Jason Gildon ...

Dozerdog
03-11-2006, 06:15 PM
You can't fall in love with one guy.

It's quite apparent the Bills are trying (Finally!) to put together a power running game. Control the clock, give Losman just a handful of passes a game, play defense. Not a bad formula for playing in Buffalo in December

Davis does not fit the needs of this team.

patmoran2006
03-11-2006, 06:15 PM
He got a $2.5 bonus.. He keeps that.. He's not going anywhere.

LA.. what is the "op"

You guys know how high I am on V. Davis

L.A. Playa
03-11-2006, 06:20 PM
OP is the biggest *****er, complainer on the zone, he got a new job o he hasnt been posting that much lately.

Look you have great insights an I enjoy your articles, but Dozer is right every offseason people fall in love with "names", that is not what makes a "team" so what the guy got a $2.5 mil signing bonus, thats peanuts in the NFL today.

Davis looks like a great prospect and can run fast taht doesnt mean he fits the concept or the plan of what the Bills are building as a team. We can all play armchair QB, but bottom line is we dont have all the information the Front office has or the plan of attack they have.

Just go with the flow state your opinion but dont repeat it over and over and over again, we got it the first time

Bmax
03-11-2006, 06:25 PM
i would say their are other guys that complain more than pat....

Bmax

BuffaloBlakely14
03-11-2006, 06:53 PM
With the "addition" of Robert Royal, lets be the first to call him "Bob." anyone (including myself) who had grand illusions of Buffalo taking Vernon Davis with their first pick in the draft can now scratch that hope..

Spending $10 million on Bob Royal destroys any chance of a draft day shocker. Anyone's who read my various BillsZone columns knows how I feel about Davis. I said in my column last week he'd be the best pro of ANYONE in the draft. I still feel that way, but I digress.

With the acquistion of Bob the tight end guy from the Skins that pretty much says either Haloti Ngata or Broderik Bunkley is coming to town when the Bills pick 8th. Michael Huff may still be high on the Bills board but Buffalo is already looking at safeties

(for the record, not too put much stock into rankings, but Bob wasnt even ranked among the Top 20 TE FA's according to scout.com)

Anyway.. MY point is this.. I really hope to God that Vernon Davis goes in the draft to either the 49ers or the Raiders in the draft before Buffalo selects... It will pain me to see us pass on him because we already signed Bob..

And Draft fans, dont give me that crap ANY LONGER that we already have Everett and Davis wasnt a need. If that's true, then why are we paying a TE $2 million per year as our first move?

Seems like the numbers coming out on some of the other boards are that he only takes up 1 mil in cap space this year, I dont know if this is true or not, but if it is that cant be all that bad. Marv says he was the best blocking TE out there period. Also www.scout.com does say that he was constantly praised by Joe Gibbs for his blocking ability, and desire on the field. Also he started 29 out of 36 games for the Skins, he has to do something right.

Mad Bomber
03-11-2006, 07:00 PM
It's quite apparent the Bills are trying (Finally!) to put together a power running game. Control the clock, give Losman just a handful of passes a game, play defense. Not a bad formula for playing in Buffalo in December.

Now all we need is a defense.

patmoran2006
03-11-2006, 07:38 PM
and an offensive line.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-11-2006, 08:15 PM
I think that signing Royal shows what the team's priorities are going to be and makes it highly unlikely that V.Davis will be drafted by the Bills.

Being in the NYC area, I got a chance to see Royal at least twice a year the last couple of years and, while he is NOT what every poster here who has been crying for the team to draft a stud receiving TE wants, he is a very solid player. Good blocker. His blocking ability helped to make Chris Cooley--the Skins' H-back--very effective coming out of the backfield. Washington didn't throw the ball his way a lot, but, when they did, Royal seemed to have good hands. I can only recall one pass in his 4 games against the Giants that maybe he should have caught (it was behind him) and didn't. Was dangerous on the goal-line (because the Skins didn't throw to their TEs much, they always seemed to be open in the red zone and Royal was a good target there--especially since opposing defenses had to focus on Cooley). While he won't be mistaken for a Gates or Gonzales, Royal does have some speed and is more athletic than a lot of the mid-range TEs out there, but isn't really shifty and doesn't have the natural feel for running pass routes of the top TEs. He's a good, solid, traditional blocking TE.

I could see the Bills using Royal with Euhus in a similar manner to the way that Washington used him and Cooley. I can see them giving each of their three TEs a distinct role: Royal, the blocker; Euhus the H-back; Everett (if he pans out) the guy you sneak deep in double TE sets.

YardRat
03-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Royal was brought in to be an extra tackle with an eighty on his uniform.

Everybody's been *****ing (including yours truly) that Buffalo has to upgrade their offensive line to help the running game and get better pass protection.

Guess what? They just did....

Samphin1
03-12-2006, 03:22 AM
I suppose it depends on who is available(like for instance if Hawk somehow falls to you) but I think you have to give serious consideration to Davis if he is there, Bob signed or not. A good pass catching tight end is a young QB's bestest friend and right now, Losman can use a friend in the worst way. Davis over Ngata if you ask me.

Marvelous
03-12-2006, 03:57 AM
PatMoran, i see fans like you every seaosn that get their sights set on 1 playe rin the draft and go nuts trying to explain why the pick makes total sense. I agree that we've been without a speed/recieving TE ofr waaay too long. But don't have the luxery of depth to take a TE at #8. I wouldn't mind it 1 bit though :smile:

-What's Royals contract look like year to year? I know it's not 2 mill this year etc..right? I don know it's 5 years, 10 mill..Hows it worked?