PDA

View Full Version : Marv suggests second DT will be bigger

patmoran2006
03-11-2006, 07:58 PM
In his press conference, Marv Levy suggested that the second defensive tackle in the 4-3 will be larger than Tripplett (Who I believe is just under 300 pounds)

Even though he's old. Maybe Ted Washington would be a good fit at a reasonable rate for 2 years while someone else gets developed or we resign Ron Edwards for depth.

Of course, that means Ngata could be our first draft pick.

gr8slayer
03-11-2006, 08:02 PM
Didnt big Ted play for us at one time?

patmoran2006
03-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Yep.. He was a cap casualty when Donahoe took over in 2001

Bmax
03-11-2006, 08:09 PM
grady jackson.....Bunkley weighs 306...ngata.. i will be happy with one of the those guys.

Bmax

L.A. Playa
03-11-2006, 08:12 PM
he also said it has to be a high motor guy and Ngata, Pnkett and Lewis all have a knock on them for taking plays off

L.A. Playa
03-11-2006, 08:12 PM
I think Bunkley is the Bills pick

Tatonka
03-11-2006, 08:13 PM
bunkley definately wont be the pick if they are looking for a "bigger" guy..

i doubt they will go with an old guy.. marv specifically stated that the big DT still had to be able to run.. not just a space filler.. so ted washington is out (is he even a FA?).. it also rules out grady jackson.

ngata is the only big man that i can think of that can run.

L.A. Playa
03-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Isnt Bunkley 6'2 306 lbs ??

RedEyE
03-11-2006, 08:20 PM
I think that the Bills got their proven Veteran in Triplett and are going to go out and get the younger, upcoming runstuffer..

Here's my guess as to who they attempt to sign:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/teamRosterDetails.jsp?id=359

L.A. Playa
03-11-2006, 08:21 PM
I think that the Bills got their proven Veteran in Triplett and are going to go out and get the younger, upcoming runstuffer..

Here's my guess as to who they attempt to sign:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/teamRosterDetails.jsp?id=359

he signed with Carolina today

RedEyE
03-11-2006, 08:21 PM
he signed with Carolina today

.. or not

L.A. Playa
03-11-2006, 08:22 PM
LOL Tim Anderson is still on the roster

patmoran2006
03-11-2006, 08:26 PM
IF it comes down to draft day, Buffalo needs a DT and I have my choice of Ngata or Bunkley, I"m taking Bunk..

He has a higher motor, he looked like a beast at the combine, I like that he comes from FSU and I think he has far greater upside.. He's also bulking up.

Not that I would hate Ngata being here.. He is what he is; a really big guy who would clog up lanes and take on blockers, freeing up Fletch and hopefully TKO to make a ton of tackles.

Tatonka
03-11-2006, 08:27 PM
306 lbs is not a "bigger" DT..

340 lbs is a "bigger" dt.

RedEyE
03-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Grady Jackson fits, but the guy is going to be looking for retiree money.

Tatonka
03-11-2006, 08:31 PM
bunkley was very borderline on the first round radar until he had a good workout..

do you kno why he wouldnt have been a first rounder? because he was not an overwhelming presence in college.

i dont dislike him.. but that motor that you keep referring to didnt do all that much good.. people fell in love with him because he had a good combine and is built like a greek god.. a really big greek god.

i am not saying that ngata is the answer.. i am simply saying that since the combine, people are really blowing bunkley up to be bigger than the guy that actually plays football.. he is not superman on the field like he is when the pads are off.

L.A. Playa
03-11-2006, 08:31 PM
306 lbs is not a "bigger" DT..

340 lbs is a "bigger" dt.

by bigger do you mean fatter??

id rather have a guy at 306 less injury prone and more mobile

RedEyE
03-11-2006, 08:35 PM
The more I think about it, the more I believe the Bills go DT in the draft.

Especially if they can land Mawae. Signing Mawae instantly improves the OL. #8 overall pick comes around and either Ngata or Bunkley will be available (if not both).

Sniff out an OG in round 2.

Tatonka
03-11-2006, 08:35 PM
grady jackson cant RUN..

all the bigger guys that are available in the FA market are big fat asses... washington.. sam adams, grady jackson... all they can do is get a good first step (what sam was great at) and then they are done.. they are not chasing anyone.

ngata (again, i am not for or against him) is the best of the "big" dt available via draft or FA that can actually move..

RedEyE
03-11-2006, 08:36 PM
grady jackson cant RUN..

all the bigger guys that are available in the FA market are big fat asses... washington.. sam adams, grady jackson... all they can do is get a good first step (what sam was great at) and then they are done.. they are not chasing anyone.

ngata (again, i am not for or against him) is the best of the "big" dt available via draft or FA that can actually move..

agreed

L.A. Playa
03-11-2006, 08:37 PM
they may just go with Tim Anderson, not a given they will try to sign another dt or draft one

RedEyE
03-11-2006, 08:38 PM
they may just go with Tim Anderson, not a given they will try to sign another dt or draft one

I'd rather they go with Tim Horton.

Tatonka
03-11-2006, 08:38 PM
by bigger do you mean fatter??

id rather have a guy at 306 less injury prone and more mobile

dude.. you can "have" whatever you want.. i am simply explaining what MARV said.. he said he wants the other tackle to be a BIG guy that can run.. tripplet was at 300 lbs.. and could be again.. but in todays NFL, 300lbs for a DT is not considered big. period.

this is not a debate. it is a simple fact.

you can want bunkley all you want.. and you can pretend that he was some superstar in college and not just a combine freak.. but if Marv wants a big DT, bunkley is not going to be the pick.

RedEyE
03-11-2006, 08:40 PM
dude.. you can "have" whatever you want.. i am simply explaining what MARV said.. he said he wants the other tackle to be a BIG guy that can run.. tripplet was at 300 lbs.. and could be again.. but in todays NFL, 300lbs for a DT is not considered big. period.

you can want bunkley all you want.. and you can pretend that he was some superstar in college and not just a combine freak.. but if Marv wants a big DT, bunkley is not going to be the pick.

Right, but Ngata has to be there at number 8. Teams don't generally bank on one player unless in the top 5 range. Even then, things happen.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-11-2006, 08:42 PM
LOL Tim Anderson is still on the roster

Believe it or not, that's actually the role that Anderson played when he was in college at Ohio State. That's not to say that he could do it in the NFL, but it's hard to say because it is a different technique than he was asked to play the last two years.

If you're talking about space-eaters who can still run up and down the line of scrimmage, Ngata and Watson both fill that bill--I'm not sure if Bunkley would because I don't think that's what they had him doing in college, but, from what I've seen of him, he certainly has the mobility to do it, it's just a question of whether he has the bulk and the temperment to take the pounding (he might, but I don't know).

The guy from Baltimore who signed with Carolina I think would have been a fit. I could be wrong, but I think that Rocky Bernard played that spot with Seattle prior to last season and they switched him after the DT that they had spent a high draft pick on (Marcus Tubbs) got hurt when their defense was ravaged by injuries the season before last.

L.A. Playa
03-11-2006, 08:42 PM

im just messing around with you

LifetimeBillsFan
03-11-2006, 08:53 PM

If you are going to expect your DTs to attack and run, you have to be able to spell them occasionally. You need at least 3-4 solid players to use in a rotation.

With Tripplett, the Bills now have him and Anderson for certain. That's two. Sape is strong, but it is questionable if he can even be a back-up in this system. Same for Bannan. At best, that would mean that the Bills have 3 guys for this position, with no back-up in case of injury and questionable quality and depth.

As I see it, the Bills have to add at least one more DT, perhaps two: perhaps a rookie that they can work into the rotation and a veteran who can at least be adequate as a rotation player until the rook is ready. It depends on how they see the guys that they have on hand already and how much they want to spend on the position in relation to their other needs, but it would not be surprising to see them opt to draft a rookie in one of the first two rounds (no surprise) and sign a cheaper, less well-known veteran role-player later on in free agency (think of a Kenderick Clancy type who was nothing more than a solid veteran back-up role-player when the NY Giants signed him).

hydro014
03-11-2006, 09:37 PM

Bunkley would be the pick beforoe Ngata would be. Ngata is a 2 gap DT, the same as Sam Adams. They dont fit in cover two Defenses. Bunkley is a physical freak that only played one year, which is why he had to work himself up the draft boards. He can pass rush a lot better than Ngata can. If we take a DT, IMO, we'll take Bunkley.

patmoran2006
03-11-2006, 09:55 PM
I wouldnt be at all upset if we signed Ron Edwards and drafted another DT in the draft for a rotation.

I like Edwards, when he's healthy he's a good player.. But then again, health unfortunately is now a concern.

patmoran2006
03-11-2006, 09:55 PM
And lastly I believe in Marv and what he's doing.. But I cant help but think of how much effective Adams would have been if he was playing next to Tripplett.

ScottLawrence
03-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Ted Washington would be a great pick up to be the two gapper next to Triplett.

Even at the age of 38, he can still plug the hole, and take up blockers.

Although, even if Washington did sign, Ngata will still be our pick, IMO.

DraftBoy
03-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Much rather have Watson in the late 1st by trading down then draft Ngata. I just dont like him at all in his showings this season. If he's our pick I hope he turns out to be a good one.

Bling
03-11-2006, 11:06 PM
I will say it again... Bunkley never showed up till his senior year. He has incredible attributes--most FSU players do. They have such speed, and are able to get to the QB. I never personally saw Bunkley going up to #8, but it looks like the Bills are considering. He's not big, rather short to me. I don't even go DT if you guys are debating Ngata vs. Bunkley, personally. I wouldn't take Bunkley till about 15, so that speaks volumes about Ngata to me. Go with someone else.

DraftBoy
03-11-2006, 11:26 PM
Also an intriguing DT prospect may be Montavious Stanley from Louisville. Didnt get alot of credit playing along side Drummerville, but he's a big but and very athletic. He ran the 40 in 5.06 which was only .06 higher than Ngata.