PDA

View Full Version : Here's the free agent DT that should line up next to LT

Kerr
03-12-2006, 01:07 AM
I completely forgot about him, Russell Davis. Last year he had a bicep injury so missed much of the season. Arizona really wanted him back, but got stuck on contract negotiations so instead signed Clancy. He's been an underrated tackle for Arizona for years. He's only 30 and would be well matched up next to Trips. Like Marv said, the next Dt would need to be bigger than Trips. Davis is 6-4 310+ lbs. He would be the run plugging Dt in the defensive scheme. I hope Marv contacts his agent.

Here's a good scouting report I found on the net:

Russell Davis (grade, 74): Davis is a very active inside penetrator. He has good strength at the point of attack, plays with leverage, quickness, and some explosiveness, and really comes off the ball with some power. He is an outstanding finisher, and a lot of his success and tackles come on second effort and the ability to stay in a play, and make some backside tackles. He is an excellent inside tackler, will wrap up, and is fundamentally sound. He can play some two gap read and react techniques, and because of his initial quickness and explosiveness, he is really actually improved as a one gap penetrator. However, he is a solid football player who now seems to really understand the game, e plays with excellent instincts, and can adapt to any style, whether it be quickness or power. While he doesn’t give you a lot of big explosive highlight type plays, he is steady and effective, and does a great job of shutting down the inside.

tat2dmike77
03-12-2006, 01:11 AM
I like the signing of triplet today i really do not a bad signing and i think the guy your refering to would also be a good pick up.

Hell he could even be a steal IF he stayed healthy. But injuries happen so the bills if they did sign him could maybe get him for a low contract.

Bmax
03-12-2006, 01:20 AM
i would rather have grady jackson....

Bmax

Kerr
03-12-2006, 01:26 AM
Davis had been pretty healthy for much of his career except for last year. A bicep injury ended his season after 3 games. He would be a good pickup. With the 8th pick we could still draft ngata or bunkly and just have either one of them get seasoned behind trips and davis.

Jackson is too old and I'm not sure he fits the scheme, bmax. Wasn't one of the reasons Sam Adams was cut was because he did not fit the scheme.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-12-2006, 02:23 AM
Good info, Kerr!

The report on Davis sounds very much like the kind of player that the Bills might be looking for. And, it is very possible that Davis might come fairly cheap given the numbers that the other DTs that have signed so far have gotten.

As I see it, the Bills will need to have a 4 DT rotation in this defensive scheme this year if they decide to plug in a rookie into the equation because, no matter how good a rookie is, he still will need time to develop and adjust to the speed of the game and the number of games in the season. If you count Anderson and Tripplet, that's two of the four. A rookie (at this point it is looking like the Bills will go with Ngata, but that's still not certain) would be the third. And, you would probably want the fourth guy to be a veteran DT, like Davis, who you could bring in for a reasonably cheap price. I doubt that Sape has what it would take to be that fourth guy--I'd let him come to camp to compete for the fourth spot, not expecting him to win it, as insurance in case of an injury in TC or the preseason.

Kerr
03-12-2006, 10:02 AM
You got it lbf. But we better act fast because the seahawks have already scheduled a visit with him this week. He's the best option left out there in my eyes.

patmoran2006
03-12-2006, 10:11 AM
The best remaining bigger 2nd DT left out there is someone we already cut, Sam Adams..

so I'd be happy to have Davis join the team.

Night Train
03-12-2006, 10:17 AM
I don't mind signing " under the radar " guys who don't command killer cap numbers, yet can still upgrade what you previously had. The 3 guys they signed so far will all see lots of snaps. Davis could also fit the Bill, pardon the pun.

He'd be a fine aquisition.