PDA

View Full Version : Bills to meet with QB McCown

Nighthawk
03-12-2006, 06:42 AM
Bills | Team will visit with McCown
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:59:18 -0800

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports the Buffalo Bills plan to visit with free agent QB Josh McCown (Cardinals) at a later date.

Interesting...I think he has some talent and would much rather see him in here battling for the position than just Holcomb and Losman. Why I say that is because it is becoming clearer that the Bills brass may not be sold on Losman. Let's hope I'm wrong.

The_Philster
03-12-2006, 06:43 AM
Maybe he could supplant Holcomb as the #2

Nighthawk
03-12-2006, 06:44 AM
Maybe he could supplant Holcomb as the #2

That would be a good thing.

jmb1099
03-12-2006, 06:49 AM
good find and good move. Nothing wrong with looking at him, nothing wring with a little healthy competition

RedEyE
03-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Interesting. Obvioulsy the Bills are not satisfied with the QB position. McCown has thrown over 300 yards several times this past season. He can pass the ball around but lacks in other areas. I think that he's a step up from Holcomb, but there are still questions lingering about Losman that need to be answered.

Dozerdog
03-12-2006, 07:36 AM
If I were Josh MCown, I'm not sure I want to come to Buffalo. There are other teams where I'd have less competition and more opportunity to start

ICE74129
03-12-2006, 07:41 AM
If I were Josh MCown, I'm not sure I want to come to Buffalo. There are other teams where I'd have less competition and more opportunity to start

Unless they are telling him something they aren't telling us. I am really shocked there is QB competition (sic) going on under marv. That crap of 'Well if someone could have been here to beat Kelly he would have started' BS is just that, BS. Where was the competition for Todd Collins? Unless he got hurt Billy Joe Hobag didn't sniff a start with the first team. Marv back then understood, you pick a guy and you go with him.

All I know is this, The QB position has been a state of pure crap since Kelly left. Find ONE DAMN GUY and stick with him! That is what GOOD TEAMS DO! If it isn't JP, ship his ass out and lets move on. If you aren't going to let the kid get his time to develop on the field, move on. This ONE position has caused more pure crap for the org and its fans than any other 3 combined.

Pick one guy, stick him in there, stay with him and put this crap to rest.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
03-12-2006, 07:44 AM

You are dead on right with this post Dozerdog. Losman has alot of potential, but is still so unknown that any FA QB coming in would not be able to judge his chances of starting. MCown wants to start... he will go somewhere that he feels pretty sure that will happen.

The_Philster
03-12-2006, 07:47 AM
Where was the competition for Todd Collins? Unless he got hurt Billy Joe Hobag didn't sniff a start with the first team. Because he sucked...he couldn't unseat him as the starter. I will go to my grave saying that had AVP not gotten hurt on his 2nd snap of that preseason, he would've been the starter in 1997 and Flutie and RJ may never have come here...and I told AVP that last season after a game

ICE74129
03-12-2006, 07:52 AM
Because he sucked...he couldn't unseat him as the starter. I will go to my grave saying that had AVP not gotten hurt on his 2nd snap of that preseason, he would've been the starter in 1997 and Flutie and RJ may never have come here...and I told AVP that last season after a game

Hey I am with you on AVP. Before the grade III Seperation, the kid had a strong arm (Stronger than holcombs). Look, Find a guy and stick with him. Wouldnt it be nice for say the next 5 years to find a GOOD QB and he is the starter? No BS, no QB contriversys etc?

Holcomb isn't the answer. No arm, dink and dunk, fumbles at least 1x per game etc. We go with holcomb and I just can't get excited about this team. Why? You know we won't do spit on offense. I hope McCown comes in and either he or JP take the job

Gunzlingr
03-12-2006, 08:06 AM
I would like to see him on our roster

ICE74129
03-12-2006, 08:10 AM
Maybe he could supplant Holcomb as the #2 Pray that is the case. If not and holcomb starts...:lastyr:

X-Era
03-12-2006, 08:28 AM
Bills | Team will visit with McCown
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:59:18 -0800

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports the Buffalo Bills plan to visit with free agent QB Josh McCown (Cardinals) at a later date.

Interesting...I think he has some talent and would much rather see him in here battling for the position than just Holcomb and Losman. Why I say that is because it is becoming clearer that the Bills brass may not be sold on Losman. Let's hope I'm wrong.

sign him and sh_t can Hol-Pelt!

!Papacrunk!
03-12-2006, 08:30 AM
I mean no offense to McCown's ability or play, but I'm wondering if he may be the door prize for the Phins if they don't get Brees or Culpepper, since they will have a future visit with him too. Saying that he doesn't sign with the Bills of course.

Tatonka
03-12-2006, 08:32 AM
mcCown has never impressed me.

he is sloppy with the ball..

djjimkelly
03-12-2006, 09:19 AM
this move is baffling this to me me makes not sense unless bills brass really doesnt like either HOMOBUM(holcomb) or JP. im praying my read on this is close. bills brass have zero interest in homobum and this will be our new backup to push JP and homobum is shown the door. ill try and be postive about this my best case scenario would be sign mccown release HOMOBUM and let him reunite with mularky in miami. ah i can dream!!! becuz id like to face HOMOBUM twice a year.

gr8slayer
03-12-2006, 09:42 AM
A very very good thing.

patmoran2006
03-12-2006, 09:54 AM
Maybe I'm a rare breed.. But I don't like bringing in another QB for competition.. In fact, I don't like a quarterbacking competition period.

I'm from the old school.. Your QB should be the UNDISPUTED leader of the club, not one bad interception away from a clipboard on the bench.. Having three guys of equal value; translation "you're not sold on any of them" isn't good for a Football team.

Maybe I'm spoiled from the Jim Kelly days, but I want a QB who's going to line up behind center whether he throws for 400 yards or whether he is bad that Sunday and gets picked 5 times.. I want a QB who will grab Bennie Anderson's facemask after a stupid penalty and let him know about it. I want a guy who is 100% confident and has PURE command of that offense inside and outside that huddle.

Personally, I think Marv needs to evaluate if JP Losman is that guy.. Holcomb cleary is not... If Marv doesn't conclude JP is that guy, scrap him and take one of the three QB's in the draft..

If (and I'm not suggesting we should do this) Marv can't convince himself JP is that guy... Any of the big three QB's coming out would be tremendous picks, not so much for 2006 but for far beyond that..

Cutler- This guy has a lot of Kelly in him. He's got a great arm, he's cocky with a swagger.. He's also a workaholic you saw how impressive he was at the combine and I'm not talking about his throwing.

Young- say what you want about this guy.. When the whistle blows this guy is as cool and calm as any college QB I've ever seen... I wont get into his other strengths, I"ll just say as he develops good luck to D coordinators trying to game plan him..

Leinart- I actually like the least of the three.. But he's also the most polished, NFL ready right now, a winner and knows how to lead.
=======================================================
I just dont believe in this "competition is healthy" crap.. I dont a Chicago Bears or Arizona Cards QB situation.. I want a QB who from day one is going to take charge of this team; something it hasn't had since Jim Kelly.

My first choice is still JP Losman.. But if Jauron and marv don't agree... Use that first pick on one of the three QB's, make him "your guy" and have be the undisputed leader.

BuffaloBlakely14
03-12-2006, 10:05 AM
The thing I think we all need to remeber is that Marv and the current regime didnt pick Losman. I think Losman was forced on Ralph by TD, and as much as it sucks I think we have to be open to the fact that we may be starting over at QB.

I think McCown is a great option to bring in to compete. He has NFL experience, is in the years that he is either going to have it or not have it, and he has played in an offense where you throw the ball all game, so he can do that if called upon.

The Cards were 3-3 under him last year, in which he averaged 280 yards, 8 TDs and 8 INTs, completed 61% of his passes, had a QB rating of 80 over those games, 2 of which he had over 100 and one 91.

Billsrock4life
03-12-2006, 10:46 AM

definetly they should sign McCown and dump Holcomb

The_Philster
03-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Personally, I think Marv needs to evaluate if JP Losman is that guy.. Holcomb cleary is not... If Marv doesn't conclude JP is that guy, scrap him and take one of the three QB's in the draft.. No way can JP be evaluated like that before the draft...the only way an evaluation like that can be made is in live game action...and I don't think JP will be in any games til August

Mahdi
03-12-2006, 10:52 AM
McCown is going to be a good QB in this league for someone. He's got a great arm too. It would be one heck of a QB competition between JP, Holcomb and McCown.

ICE74129
03-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Maybe I'm a rare breed.. But I don't like bringing in another QB for competition.. In fact, I don't like a quarterbacking competition period.

I'm from the old school.. Your QB should be the UNDISPUTED leader of the club, not one bad interception away from a clipboard on the bench.. Having three guys of equal value; translation "you're not sold on any of them" isn't good for a Football team.

Maybe I'm spoiled from the Jim Kelly days, but I want a QB who's going to line up behind center whether he throws for 400 yards or whether he is bad that Sunday and gets picked 5 times.. I want a QB who will grab Bennie Anderson's facemask after a stupid penalty and let him know about it. I want a guy who is 100% confident and has PURE command of that offense inside and outside that huddle.

Personally, I think Marv needs to evaluate if JP Losman is that guy.. Holcomb cleary is not... If Marv doesn't conclude JP is that guy, scrap him and take one of the three QB's in the draft..

If (and I'm not suggesting we should do this) Marv can't convince himself JP is that guy... Any of the big three QB's coming out would be tremendous picks, not so much for 2006 but for far beyond that..

Cutler- This guy has a lot of Kelly in him. He's got a great arm, he's cocky with a swagger.. He's also a workaholic you saw how impressive he was at the combine and I'm not talking about his throwing.

Young- say what you want about this guy.. When the whistle blows this guy is as cool and calm as any college QB I've ever seen... I wont get into his other strengths, I"ll just say as he develops good luck to D coordinators trying to game plan him..

Leinart- I actually like the least of the three.. But he's also the most polished, NFL ready right now, a winner and knows how to lead.
=======================================================
I just dont believe in this "competition is healthy" crap.. I dont a Chicago Bears or Arizona Cards QB situation.. I want a QB who from day one is going to take charge of this team; something it hasn't had since Jim Kelly.

My first choice is still JP Losman.. But if Jauron and marv don't agree... Use that first pick on one of the three QB's, make him "your guy" and have be the undisputed leader.

About time someone else gets it.

ICE74129
03-12-2006, 12:04 PM
The thing I think we all need to remeber is that Marv and the current regime didnt pick Losman. I think Losman was forced on Ralph by TD, and as much as it sucks I think we have to be open to the fact that we may be starting over at QB.

I think McCown is a great option to bring in to compete. He has NFL experience, is in the years that he is either going to have it or not have it, and he has played in an offense where you throw the ball all game, so he can do that if called upon.

The Cards were 3-3 under him last year, in which he averaged 280 yards, 8 TDs and 8 INTs, completed 61% of his passes, had a QB rating of 80 over those games, 2 of which he had over 100 and one 91.

Then cut JP. It's that simple. Either he is the guy or you cut / Trade him. this Bull SH@! QB competition sets this team back. Pick one guy, give him the meat of the snaps and lets move on.

ICE74129
03-12-2006, 12:28 PM
No way can JP be evaluated like that before the draft...the only way an evaluation like that can be made is in live game action...and I don't think JP will be in any games til August

Agreed but phil a QB 'competition' is pure crap. You can load that puppy to make a guy look great or like crap. If we add a 3rd QB to the mix now we have to cut the pie (reps with the first string) again. This takes away from continuity for ALL of the QB's.

Marv needs to go old school, pick a guy and stick with him.

BuffaloBlakely14
03-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Agreed but phil a QB 'competition' is pure crap. You can load that puppy to make a guy look great or like crap. If we add a 3rd QB to the mix now we have to cut the pie (reps with the first string) again. This takes away from continuity for ALL of the QB's.

Marv needs to go old school, pick a guy and stick with him.

I agree with you that we need to pick a guy and then roll with him for better or worse. I have to admit I have no idea who that guy should be, except I do pretty much agree that i dont think that it should be Kelly Holcomb.

ICE74129
03-12-2006, 12:44 PM
I agree with you that we need to pick a guy and then roll with him for better or worse. I have to admit I have no idea who that guy should be, except I do pretty much agree that i dont think that it should be Kelly Holcomb.

Anyone but holcomb.