PDA

View Full Version : I have some concerns with Mawae

X-Era
03-12-2006, 07:56 AM
Im not sure hes an upgrade.

He would seem to be with him being a multi year pro bowler. But he missed 10 games with an injury and is 35. Center is definetely the spot where you can hold up the longest age wise. But the injury is a concern.

Marv made 2 moves that are anti- Donahoe, young vets who can play and get better.

Royal was a bit Donahoe, a young vet backup no name. But Tripplett is a player Donahoe wouldnt have went after sighting "we think highly of Ron Edwards" or some BS. Donahoe would have signed....well.....Sam Adams whos best days are behind him.

But, if Marv adds a recently injured, 35 year old C, isnt that Donahoe part 2? Whats wrong with drafting a C?. Nick Mangold has been called the best C prospect in the past decade. He could be grabbed in the 2nd at our 8 pick most likely.

I just dont want to see us spend cap cash on guys whos plays is quickly declining anymore.

So, is Mawae the right move?

RedEyE
03-12-2006, 08:01 AM
Yeah, but it was a bicep tear. A freak injury that hardly ever happens on the field. Besides, he would sign a contract only long enough for Duke Preston to get up to speed, or until the Bills find a hard nosed Center in the draft (later seasons).
Believe me, he's worth it. Those seasons with Martin bursting through center were greatly provided by Mawae. He is most definitly an upgrade.

X-Era
03-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Yeah, but it was a bicep tear. A freak injury that hardly ever happens on the field. Besides, he would sign a contract only long enough for Duke Preston to get up to speed, or until the Bills find a hard nosed Center in the draft (later seasons).
Believe me, he's worth it. Those seasons with Martin bursting through center were greatly provided by Mawae. He is most definitly an upgrade.

OK, maybe Preston becomes the next Peters and steps way up. But chances are good he doesnt too. Id rather get a much better prospect at C to be honest.

I like guys into the 3rd round better than Preston. I love the looks of Mangold and Marvin Philip.

Mawae is a stop gap for a year or two. I agree he is an upgrade but only if the injury isnt an issue.

Tatonka
03-12-2006, 08:24 AM
his injury does not worry me at all. it is not like he has an injury history.. he has always been one of the best centers in the league.. if he can play for 2 more years or so.. perfect.

i would love nick mangold though still

Dozerdog
03-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Mawae would be great for this team- his vet leadership would be a huge plus as well

L.A. Playa
03-12-2006, 09:32 AM
if you had to choose between signing runyan and signing mawae who do you sign ???

gr8slayer
03-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Even if he is injury prone the guy can still help teach some of our younger guys how its done.

gr8slayer
03-12-2006, 09:34 AM
if you had to choose between signing runyan and signing mawae who do you sign ???
Mawae. The interior of the line is of most importance to McGahee. McGahee is of most importance to J.P. staying alive.

patmoran2006
03-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Teams in football that are successful often take chances that pan out.

Signing Mawae might be taking a chance but he's a huge upgrade at center and would be an excellent teacher to Preston..

If the Bills aren't sure Preston can start at center; there is no better center out there on the market that Mawae. Justin Hartwig would have the best pickup with his skill and young age, but Carolina just signed him.

Id be thrilled to have Mawae in and start for 2 years. I think he also makes Preston a better player as well.

Night Train
03-12-2006, 10:19 AM

Why not both ? Their combined numbers wouldn't even match what Bentley received from Cleveland.

The_Philster
03-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Mawae...C was a bigger problem in 2005 than T was