PDA

View Full Version : Young, Hungry Players Is What Marv is Bringing IN

BuffaloBlakely14
03-12-2006, 10:09 AM
I really like what Marv is doing here with these FA signings. He is taking players who are in there 4th/5th years in the league, who by all accounts are system guys for the system that he and Coach Juron are trying to implement and giving them a chance to prove themselves.

All three of these guys have started for their teams but for the most part weren't superstars. All three sound like they are high character, high motor guys with great upside, who are most importantly hungry to contribute and contribute in a big way for a team that is wants them.

Royal, while not flashy, drew rave reviews this past year from Joe Gibbs on his blocking ability, and even admittedly from Gibbs was just not the first option with Chris Cooley being such a threat. Then man had to be doing something right he started the past 26 out of 31 games for the Skins, a scrub doesnt do that. He wasnt a second stringer/ST that half this board keeps quoting him as.

As a lifelong VA Tech fan, I am pretty excited about the opportunity we are giving Andre Davis. Contrary to some other posts stating that he had no one else interested in him, if you go to www.kffl.com you will see that the Steelers, Texans, Chargers, and Bucs were all interested in him as well. When he stepped on the field at Tech he was pure electricity and is a threat to take it to the house everytime he touches the ball. He was an exciting punt returner with very good hands, and has more than enough moves to make people miss after the catch. He missed the first half of the season with an injury last year. You never have to question his effort or desire.

Tripplett I think will end up being a steal. I have seen him ranked in the Top 5 of every FA DT rankings. This guy was part of a 3 man rotation that included Corey Simon, and he still put up pretty good DT numbers. He is exactly the type of DT that Marv said that they were targeting, and has played in our new system of D for the past 4 years. I think we will all see what he has come season time. Also look at what kind of contract he got compared to other guys he was rated higher than yesterday, some of those DTs were breaking teams yesterday. Geniusly played by Marv.

Marv has invited 3 in and signed all 3. I think this should be one of the most important things that we all look at. While these guys may not have been Tier 1 guys in some of our opinions they are what this team needed. This speaks to where the team sits in the eyes of players around the league. Under TD the past couple years it seemed like a place where people ran away from, and people left extremely bitter. I think we are definitely headed in the right direction.

As far as the OL, I am not a huge fan of bringing in old guys, but if these guys have 2 to 3 left in them, and can mentor some young guys we draft this year and next, then I am all for it. Especially if they can play at a relatively high level this year and next.

patmoran2006
03-12-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm feeling that..

Maybe Marv is taking notes from the Sabres.. Youth and Chemistry is important.

madness
03-12-2006, 10:30 AM
great post! I was thinking along the same lines. All three players have shown what it takes to be in the NFL along with some flashes of greatness. Marv is well aware of DJ's rep for getting the best out of his players and is bringing in young vets that will benefit from that.

I can't help thinking about UNC'S basketball coach Roy Williams and what he did with that team this year. DJ seems to be that same type of coach that turns underachievers into overachievers. Let's hope that i'm right.

Billsrock4life
03-12-2006, 10:42 AM
yeah im liking what marv is doing aswell now we need to bring in a sum OL

Don't Panic
03-12-2006, 11:31 AM
I agree with just about everything said. Marv has a philosophy for success and he is following through on it, something that we can't say about TD. They only way to be successful is to have a plan and stick to it. Are we all of a sudden a playoff team? Not at all... but the pieces are being put in place. We've spent half of our cap space (less if Moulds is cut, which I still hope doesn't happen) and we have two (three if you count SS) glaring weaknesses left, at least one of which can be filled through the draft. Plus, there is no stat which will show how much better the attitude is going to be at One Bills Drive next year. I am still very concerned about LT, but I am more willing to go with a guy like Runyan for a couple of years (if he brings the right attitude) than I was a week or two ago.

The key, once again, will be the play of JP, who needs to show that he can lead this team this year. If that happenes, we are looking great. if it doesn't, then we have another glaring weakness to account for this time next year.

BAM
03-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Very good post. 5 stars.

BuffaloBlakely14
03-12-2006, 11:39 AM
I agree with just about everything said. Marv has a philosophy for success and he is following through on it, something that we can't say about TD. They only way to be successful is to have a plan and stick to it. Are we all of a sudden a playoff team? Not at all... but the pieces are being put in place. We've spent half of our cap space (less if Moulds is cut, which I still hope doesn't happen) and we have two (three if you count SS) glaring weaknesses left, at least one of which can be filled through the draft. Plus, there is no stat which will show how much better the attitude is going to be at One Bills Drive next year. I am still very concerned about LT, but I am more willing to go with a guy like Runyan for a couple of years (if he brings the right attitude) than I was a week or two ago.

The key, once again, will be the play of JP, who needs to show that he can lead this team this year. If that happenes, we are looking great. if it doesn't, then we have another glaring weakness to account for this time next year.

I definitely like what you have in your sig...trade down and pick up an extra second, I am definitely down with that.

Trade down, take Bunkley, then take a G and T with our two second round picks.

Then address Safety and a high potential LB in the third and I am very happy with this offseason.

In the fourth/fifth we can take a flier on a young QB with potential, that could either be a strong backup or potential to be a future starter.

ICE74129
03-12-2006, 11:45 AM
I am with BAM, outstanding post BB.

BuffaloBlakely14
03-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Very good post. 5 stars.

Definitely appreciate it BAM means a lot coming from guys like you and ICE.

Tatonka
03-12-2006, 12:13 PM
i concur.. excellent post..

nice to see a positive post that doesnt reek of homerism.

post more.

billsburgh
03-13-2006, 12:06 AM
I'm feeling that..

Maybe Marv is taking notes from the Sabres.. Youth and Chemistry is important.
There was absolutely no chemistry last year. I think that will be Jauron's biggest challenge in getting this team to play together as a team again.

gr8slayer
03-13-2006, 12:16 AM
Damn good post.

vicmantak
03-13-2006, 12:51 AM
Excellent post. No more words. This is exactly what Marv is making us feel.

McBFLO
03-13-2006, 09:49 AM
I really like what Marv is doing here with these FA signings. He is taking players who are in there 4th/5th years in the league, who by all accounts are system guys for the system that he and Coach Juron are trying to implement and giving them a chance to prove themselves.

All three of these guys have started for their teams but for the most part weren't superstars. All three sound like they are high character, high motor guys with great upside, who are most importantly hungry to contribute and contribute in a big way for a team that is wants them.

Royal, while not flashy, drew rave reviews this past year from Joe Gibbs on his blocking ability, and even admittedly from Gibbs was just not the first option with Chris Cooley being such a threat. Then man had to be doing something right he started the past 26 out of 31 games for the Skins, a scrub doesnt do that. He wasnt a second stringer/ST that half this board keeps quoting him as.

As a lifelong VA Tech fan, I am pretty excited about the opportunity we are giving Andre Davis. Contrary to some other posts stating that he had no one else interested in him, if you go to www.kffl.com you will see that the Steelers, Texans, Chargers, and Bucs were all interested in him as well. When he stepped on the field at Tech he was pure electricity and is a threat to take it to the house everytime he touches the ball. He was an exciting punt returner with very good hands, and has more than enough moves to make people miss after the catch. He missed the first half of the season with an injury last year. You never have to question his effort or desire.

Tripplett I think will end up being a steal. I have seen him ranked in the Top 5 of every FA DT rankings. This guy was part of a 3 man rotation that included Corey Simon, and he still put up pretty good DT numbers. He is exactly the type of DT that Marv said that they were targeting, and has played in our new system of D for the past 4 years. I think we will all see what he has come season time. Also look at what kind of contract he got compared to other guys he was rated higher than yesterday, some of those DTs were breaking teams yesterday. Geniusly played by Marv.

Marv has invited 3 in and signed all 3. I think this should be one of the most important things that we all look at. While these guys may not have been Tier 1 guys in some of our opinions they are what this team needed. This speaks to where the team sits in the eyes of players around the league. Under TD the past couple years it seemed like a place where people ran away from, and people left extremely bitter. I think we are definitely headed in the right direction.

As far as the OL, I am not a huge fan of bringing in old guys, but if these guys have 2 to 3 left in them, and can mentor some young guys we draft this year and next, then I am all for it. Especially if they can play at a relatively high level this year and next.
I love that post. I whole-heartedly agree with you about the OL comments.

justasportsfan
03-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Marv insists on bringing in coaches who are great teachers which simply means, he is bringing in players who have underachieved but still have ability to reach their maximum potential with the right guidance. Davis and Tripplet are examples. Highly touted coming out of college but haven't really made it yet but still have a lot of room for improvement.

They gave up on Mike plus he ws too expensive anyways.

I just hope that Marv is right in thinking that Jauron can fix these players by being a great teacher. The last time we brought in teachers in GW's time, they turned out to be students