PDA

View Full Version : New NFL Deal widens gap between small and big market teams

Bill Brasky
03-12-2006, 02:00 PM
The quest for a new NFL collective bargaining agreement was never about the owners versus the players. The league knew the players' association, once the weakest in sports, finally had its act together. There was no doubt the owners would to have to surrender a larger cut of the colossal revenue pie.

How big a piece the players would receive was relatively incidental to reaching an agreement. The central issue was the manner in which owners would address the widening disparity in gross team revenues and ensure a long-term competitive balance in a sport that worships at the altar of parity. It's on that front the league failed, and miserably so.

What the NFL has done is widen the chasm between large- and small-market teams. Franchises such as Buffalo and Cincinnati that spend to the cap would incur $20 million in player salary increases over the next two years, a burden that exceeds what they'll receive from the NFL's laughable, bare-bones revenue-sharing plan.

It's no wonder Bills owner Ralph Wilson was struggling to comprehend the finer points of the deal. Who could make sense of backward logic that places a greater financial burden on the franchises least equipped to bear it?

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060312/1058979.asp?tbd1058979.asp

Devin
03-12-2006, 02:07 PM
well there is a ray of sunshine.

Bill Brasky
03-12-2006, 02:08 PM
it's the buffalo news. i'd expect nothing else!

G. Host
03-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Article makes a lot of sense in that the new deal does not help poorer teams.

FlyingDutchman
03-12-2006, 03:50 PM

really...i would never have guessed that especially with the title of the thread being what it is...

Michael82
03-12-2006, 05:52 PM
and people were mocking Ralph out and criticizing him for voting no. :cynic:

Stewie
03-12-2006, 07:34 PM
I don't buy this argument that it's terrible for small market teams. Nothing makes money like winning super bowls. I don't think a few extra million bucks used to pay a greedy "star" player wins too many games.

HHURRICANE
03-12-2006, 08:39 PM

I got news for everybody. The Bills would have these issues even if the deal would have been at at a revenue sharing number of 56 percent. And to think that a potential owner who is not from this area is going to keep the Bills in Buffalo is ludicrous. You better hope Paychex keeps doing well and that the corrupt local government (that keeps Buffalo in an everlasting state of recession) gets their act together.

Mitchy moo
03-12-2006, 09:10 PM
I got news for everybody. The Bills would have these issues even if the deal would have been at at a revenue sharing number of 56 percent. And to think that a potential owner who is not from this area is going to keep the Bills in Buffalo is ludicrous. You better hope Paychex keeps doing well and that the corrupt local government (that keeps Buffalo in an everlasting state of recession) gets their act together.

i got an idea, why don't the guys with money in buffalo buy the bills?

oh wait everyone is broke. next idea.