PDA

View Full Version : Hutch gets deal from Vikings

Kerr
03-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Vikings | Hutchinson signed to offer sheet
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:12:55 -0800
Jay Glazer (http://www.kffl.com/link/14), of FOXSports.com (http://www.kffl.com/link/189), reports free agent OG Steve Hutchinson (http://www.kffl.com/player/1701/nfl) (Seahawks) has been signed to an offer sheet worth $49 million over seven years. The deal includes $16 million in guaranteed money and holds a very high salary cap number for the first year. The Vikings (http://www.kffl.com/team/23/nfl) are using a high cap number for the first year to prevent the Seattle Seahawks (http://www.kffl.com/team/33/nfl) from matching the offer.

G. Host
03-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Seven million a year is too much no matter how good he is.

Vikings are also doing because they have the cap space this year like when they did the deal with Winfield.

Sportsuser101
03-12-2006, 03:34 PM
That has got to be the craziest signing. He's a very good guard but he's a guard. $16m guaranteed money.. Almost $18m the 1st year. Funny stuff.

EDS
03-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Great player but agree that that is an awful lot of money for a guard.

Dozerdog
03-12-2006, 03:44 PM
That has got to be the craziest signing. He's a very good guard but he's a guard. $16m guaranteed money.. Almost $18m the 1st year. Funny stuff.

It's a dumb deal if you are getting an unknown quantity, or if there is an injury concern.

But that's how the Vikes always seem to have a crapload of cap space. They are masters of "frontloading" deals - They did it with Winfield- and having the contract level out after the first year or so. It's the Eric Moulds deal in Reverse.

Is it a good strategy? Well- they are able to get a few big names each season. But for all the cap space they have, I'm always amazed at how average this team seems to be.

Instead of getting a bunch of studs and going for it, they always seem to play with cap money. Maybe it was a way for Red McCombs not to spend a lot of cash up front like most teams do in Free agency. Just give it to them in
guaranteed salary instead of cash depleating bonus. Red didn't want to have to lay out a lot of coin up front when he was trying to sell.

Seattle is stupid too. I never unbderstand the transition tag and why a team would use it on a great player. An average guy? maybe. But like Spikes a few seasons ago, the transition tag just ties up your cap money and there is always a team willing and able to F your cap up the first year so you would not match the offer.

At least get compensation for them!

Sportsuser101
03-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Its a dumb deal because they're paying him a ton of money. Has nothing to do with front loading or back loading a contract. $49m is too much for Larry Allen in his prime let alone Hutchinson.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
03-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Vikings appear to be putting the squeeze on Seattle.. playing a bit of hard ball I guess.

I agree with the above posters... its a good deal for Hutch but bad for Seattle AND Viks.

No way he plays out the contract, and it is going to be a heavy cap hit all along for Viks.

There will be a restructure in 2 years I'd wager.

gr8slayer
03-12-2006, 04:47 PM
He is worth every penny.

Drive 4 Five
03-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Hutchinson is the best in the business right? Besides, don't you guys realize that with every increase in the salary cap, the already ridiculous ass salaries these guys get inflate too? Mad cash. It's crazy.

My question is this: It is no secret that we are in desperate need of quality linemen ourselves, so why the hell haven't we signed one? I hope to GOD that we can ink Kevin Mawae.

ICE74129
03-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Hummm, well this drives the market up for guards I think :roflmao:

Scumbag College
03-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Hummm, well this drives the market up for guards I think :roflmao:

Even with Hutch getting that type of money, Bennie Anderson doesn't deserve enough to eat off of McD's value menu.

Sportsuser101
03-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Hutchinson is the best in the business right? Besides, don't you guys realize that with every increase in the salary cap, the already ridiculous ass salaries these guys get inflate too? Mad cash. It's crazy.

My question is this: It is no secret that we are in desperate need of quality linemen ourselves, so why the hell haven't we signed one? I hope to GOD that we can ink Kevin Mawae.

By the time they increase substantially Hutchinson will be out of Minnesota.

Don't sign a player that a crazy contract just because we need offensive lineman.

L.A. Playa
03-12-2006, 06:03 PM
lets see how good he is without Walter Jones next to him

Michael82
03-12-2006, 06:27 PM
lets see how good he is without Walter Jones next to him
:goodpost:

chubluv
03-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Wow! I cant believe that contract. Theres no way Seattle can match that offer.

clumping platelets
03-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Seattle can match this offer....salary cap will not be a problem

If I'm Seattle, I send a thank you note to the Vikings for doing the negotiating work for them

Michael82
03-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Seattle can match this offer....salary cap will not be a problem

If I'm Seattle, I send a thank you note to the Vikings for doing the negotiating work for them
:shocked: