PDA

View Full Version : How the heck is Washington signing anyone??

Mr. Miyagi
03-12-2006, 10:27 PM
According to ESPN, the Redskins are $4.9 million over the cap.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2349505

How the heck are they signing Randle El to a big contract, plus Christian Fauria, and talking to Adam Archuleta and Andre Carter??? What kind of creative accounting do they have going on over there??

nova
03-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Probably by listing it as an emergency expenditure. Ooops! Wrong group.

My thoughts are that either the numbers ESPN have are old / wrong, or that teams are not always required to be in compliance and just have to be in compliance by certain dates. Anyone with knowledge of the cap know for sure?

Edit:
Oh ya, the numbers are old. The numbers are dated Friday, March 10th. Washington would have had to get into compliance with the cap by 12:01AM Saturday March 11th -- the start of free agency.

I don't know what cap moves they made though.

lordofgun
03-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Clumpy? :mad:

Mr. Miyagi
03-12-2006, 10:38 PM
But then again, there should be no surprise that there's "fuzzy math" going on in Washington.

McBFLO
03-12-2006, 11:34 PM
But then again, there should be no surprise that there's "fuzzy math" going on in Washington.
you right!

AndreReed83
03-12-2006, 11:43 PM
I hate Washington. I think they fact they drive up the market everywhere and take most of the premier free agents every season is bad for football.

gr8slayer
03-12-2006, 11:44 PM
What have you to say Clump?

Carlton Bailey
03-12-2006, 11:58 PM
Snyder's probably paying these guys under the table like Eddie DeBartolo used to in San Fran.

Ebenezer
03-13-2006, 02:37 AM
According to ESPN, the Redskins are $4.9 million over the cap.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2349505

How the heck are they signing Randle El to a big contract, plus Christian Fauria, and talking to Adam Archuleta and Andre Carter??? What kind of creative accounting do they have going on over there??
All teams had to be cap complient at the start of the NFL calender year (in this case when the CBA was ratified). There is no way Washington was over the cap at that time; they would have been penalized. Then when you add in the increase in the cap you get how they could afford it.

clumping platelets
03-13-2006, 02:38 AM
They integrated from pi to pi/2

Ebenezer
03-13-2006, 03:02 AM
:ouch: that'll leave a mark...

clumping platelets
03-13-2006, 03:05 AM
seriously........Arrington paid back $4.4 million to be released. Unsure of the cap savings.....they also released 5 players, restrucutured Portis, Brunell, and copy of others.

Take cap numbers by Clayton lightly.....he's always behind a day or two with his numbers.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
03-13-2006, 06:11 AM
:ouch: that'll leave a mark...

:rofl:

That Guy
03-13-2006, 06:55 AM
Now they're trading for John Abraham possibly.

Mr. Miyagi
03-13-2006, 07:46 AM
Don't sass me with that 2nd grade math. I'm Asian remember?

Ebenezer
03-13-2006, 07:53 AM
:roflmao:

clumping platelets
03-13-2006, 10:47 AM

:miyagi:

Mitchy moo
03-13-2006, 10:58 AM

that's classic.

Michael82
03-13-2006, 11:02 AM
I hate Washington. I think they fact they drive up the market everywhere and take most of the premier free agents every season is bad for football.
plus, look what they did with the coaches. They hoard all the best Coordinators and have raised the average coaching contract up by a ton. :ill:

**** DAN SYNDER! I hate that piece of ****. He is what's wrong with the NFL.

gr8slayer
03-13-2006, 11:07 AM
plus, look what they did with the coaches. They hoard all the best Coordinators and have raised the average coaching contract up by a ton. :ill:

**** DAN SYNDER! I hate that piece of ****. He is what's wrong with the NFL.
How can you fault the guy for knowing how to run his team? He knows how to make money off his team unlike Ralph. Then he turns around and puts the money he makes back into the team. That's called being a good businessman.

Gunzlingr
03-13-2006, 11:29 AM
How can you fault the guy for knowing how to run his team? He knows how to make money off his team unlike Ralph. Then he turns around and puts the money he makes back into the team. That's called being a good businessman.

How many championships has he won since he bought the team and went on his spending sprees?

YardRat
03-13-2006, 11:34 AM

That's a joke :roflmao:

If Snyder knew how to run his team, he'd either be making more money or winning more, depending on where his priority was.

If he's pumping his profits back into his team, he's not pocketing any, so he's not looking at it from strictly a financial standpoint.

If he's putting his profits back into his team, he's not winning anything, so he's failing at it from strictly a competitive standpoint.

When he sells the team for a profit, then you can call him a good business man. When he actually manages to win something, even a conference championship, then you can call him a winner.

Until then, you should just continue to call him a pud.

Michael82
03-13-2006, 11:46 AM
:bs:

Snyder hasn't even sniffed the Super Bowl since he bought the team. Apparently he's not a good businessman if he still can't win it all. Hell, he can't even get to the NFC Championship in a weak conference. :rofl:

Michael82
03-13-2006, 11:46 AM

If Snyder knew how to run his team, he'd either be making more money or winning more, depending on where his priority was.

If he's pumping his profits back into his team, he's not pocketing any, so he's not looking at it from strictly a financial standpoint.

If he's putting his profits back into his team, he's not winning anything, so he's failing at it from strictly a competitive standpoint.

When he sells the team for a profit, then you can call him a good business man. When he actually manages to win something, even a conference championship, then you can call him a winner.

Excellent post! :bf1:

:posrep:

MarvLevy
03-13-2006, 08:51 PM
THEY HAVE DONE IT FOR YEARSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. THEY ALWAYS GET THE BIG NAMES IN FA. DONT SEEM TO DO ANYTHING WITH IT THO.

That Guy
03-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Snyder puts the money he makes from football back into football. That makes him an excellent owner in my opinion. Just like George Steinbrenner.

Dozerdog
03-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Here's the deal-

1- He has a fan base willing to sell out a 90,000 seat stadium and give him a 20 year season ticket waiting list base- and pay premium prices for that priveledge.

2- He takes his huge local revenue pot and reinvests it into his team. His gobbs of cash allow him to overpay coaches. Between having to pay off Marty Schottenheimer, Steve Spurrier, and now paying Joe Gibbs, Williams, & co, he has in excess of $30 Million tied up in COACHES!!!!!

3- With tons of cash, he puts out huge lengthy contracs with fat bonuses. Notice all the guys he signed were for $30 million and six or more years?

This is done so he can inflate the overall contract value, so he can give out these sick signing bonuses. I beleive (Clumpy please correct me if I'm wrong) you can only give someone in the neighboorhood of 1/3rd the contract total in bonus. This prevents teams from giving someone a minimum salary and $50 million in bonus.

Basically, he writes lengthy deals, backloads the last few years to inflate the deal so he can give a huge cash payment up front, and then will go ahead and cut these guys 2 years before the deal is up. These 30 million / 6 year deals aren't really $30 million- they will end up costing him something like 20 million over 5 years.

It's living off the NFL credit card. Big cash up front, spread out the payments over 5 years.

G. Host
03-13-2006, 09:33 PM

:clap: :10:

This is same putz who signed high profile coaches and let them go because they argued about the high priced has-been stars he wanted on team so he they could show up for his functions and parties. Same owner who let players go because they would not go to parties. Same owner who overrode GM ans couching staff on who to sign. Same owner who recruited a college coach who attempted to have a reunion. Same owner who started charging for training camp (Mikey will love that) and did not realize it would mean scouts could legally attend practices. Same owner who had fans living in area arrested for not taking the bus or paying the outrageous parking costs.

ANybody who thinks $nyde is a good owner is a pud! :rofl:

AndreReed83
03-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Hell, let's not even look at the amount of money he spends for a second. He just spends the money on big names or the latest flashes in the pan guys. They usually don't even fit the coaches scheme nor are the players ever given a chance to gel.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
03-13-2006, 09:52 PM
Here's the deal-

1- He has a fan base willing to sell out a 90,000 seat stadium and give him a 20 year season ticket waiting list base- and pay premium prices for that priveledge.

2- He takes his huge local revenue pot and reinvests it into his team. His gobbs of cash allow him to overpay coaches. Between having to pay off Marty Schottenheimer, Steve Spurrier, and now paying Joe Gibbs, Williams, & co, he has in excess of $30 Million tied up in COACHES!!!!!

3- With tons of cash, he puts out huge lengthy contracs with fat bonuses. Notice all the guys he signed were for $30 million and six or more years?

This is done so he can inflate the overall contract value, so he can give out these sick signing bonuses. I beleive (Clumpy please correct me if I'm wrong) you can only give someone in the neighboorhood of 1/3rd the contract total in bonus. This prevents teams from giving someone a minimum salary and $50 million in bonus.

Basically, he writes lengthy deals, backloads the last few years to inflate the deal so he can give a huge cash payment up front, and then will go ahead and cut these guys 2 years before the deal is up. These 30 million / 6 year deals aren't really $30 million- they will end up costing him something like 20 million over 5 years.

It's living off the NFL credit card. Big cash up front, spread out the payments over 5 years.

Dozer, I'm not a capologist by any streach, but doesnt this all catch up to the team eventually? just like a credit card, eventually you gotta pay the piper... and snyder has been doing this for years... when is he going to hit the wall and be in cap jail?