Does anybody realize that the Bills gave a $10 mil contract to a TE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Does anybody realize that the Bills gave a $10 mil contract to a TE...

....with 31 career receptions?? unacceptable.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Does anybody realize that the Bills gave a $10 mil contract to a TE...

If he can block as advertised, then he's worth it. Until he signed, we had ZERO TE's who could block. It's 10 Mil spread out over 4 years, which includes a bonus. In reality, he probably isn't that expensive.

I noticed the year before he only caught 8 passes but 4 were TD's. Butch Rolle Jr.

With him and Everett in the lineup, I now doubt Vernon Davis of Maryland is on the radar anymore...if he ever was.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• billsburgh
      • Jul 2003

from what Marv has said, he is really a 6th o-lineman, sort of a Mark Bruener type.

Comment

• vicmantak
        • Jun 2005

I agree that it's just unacceptable to overpay for a one dimensional TE.
        I thought he was brought only as depth until Vernon Davis develop his blocking skills...
        I wonder when are Bills going to be an exciting threat on offense...

"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward"
        - Helen Keller

"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"

- Mary Pickford

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
          The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Ebenezer
          ....with 31 career receptions?? unacceptable.
          It does seem a bit extravagant... I hope the guy blocks like a freight Train... he'll need to in order to justify his pay.
          In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• lynobx
            • Jan 2005

He is potentially a good pass receiver as well as a monster blocker, so I think we should reserve judgment until we see how he performs. We wouldn't have given him $10M unless we thought he was going to be a very good player.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
              • Jul 2002

it is over 4 years.

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by lynobx
                He is potentially a good pass receiver as well as a monster blocker, so I think we should reserve judgment until we see how he performs. We wouldn't have given him $10M unless we thought he was going to be a very good player.
                It's not like he's a rookie. I guess his numbers have improved with each season. Also, I think there might be history with some players that got big contracts that never lived up to them, just saying you know.

Comment

• Kerr
                  Hall of Fame Zoner
                  • Feb 2005

From what i've heard, he's regarded as one of the top blocking TE's in the league. We basically signed another lineman. Even coming out of LSU, he was nothing spectacular as a receiver, but his blocking skills were noticed.

Comment

• Iehoshua
                    • Jan 2003

I'd rather pay a guy for what he's going to do than overpay when he's on the downside of his career... That said, hopefully he lives up... Then again if he's too good, he'll hold out or demand a trade.. Ugh...

Comment

• ICE74129
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Darth Takeo
                      I'd rather pay a guy for what he's going to do than overpay when he's on the downside of his career... That said, hopefully he lives up... Then again if he's too good, he'll hold out or demand a trade.. Ugh...

Outstanding post. Agreed. Don't pay a guy for what he has done (Moulds) pay someone for what he can do now and for the next couple of years.

Royal is considered a great blocking TE. Did you guys want to run the damn ball or not? If so quit *****ing. If royal is one of the top 3 blocking TE's in the game today then a 10 mill contract is worth it. Esp. if we are going to a 3 wide formation like I think we are.

Comment

• Kerr
                        Hall of Fame Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

I believe Marv is trying to get his own McKellar and Metzellars. Not flashy TE's who ever put up big numbers, but servicable and got the job done on the field. I don't think Marv is really into drafting big time TE's who are bigger names or could become bigger names than his receivers.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                          Roways rooking ahread!
                          • Sep 2005

RW won't spend $10M to improve his lines but will spend it for a position we already drafted for, not good.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                            Give me a minute...
                            • Jul 2002

again, same trap as before...this team does more to get TE than they do T or G...

then again, if it were TD he would try to make him into a G.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• ICE74129
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                              again, same trap as before...this team does more to get TE than they do T or G...

then again, if it were TD he would try to make him into a G.
                              Name for me who we should have signed? We can't afford Hutchenson and nor should we even try for the stupid amount the Vikes are going to pay him. If it's not there, dont sign guys just to sign them. That is what TD did.

Comment

Working...
                              X