PDA

View Full Version : Pickett Coming For Visit...

ZacGriffi~82
03-13-2006, 06:44 AM
"After he finishes meeting with the Green Bay Packers today, free-agent defensive tackle Ryan Pickett is scheduled to visit the Buffalo Bills as he weighs potential contract offers from three NFL teams." http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_25147174.shtml

Kerr
03-13-2006, 06:53 AM
The question is how much would he cost? I would rather have him over r. davis because of his youth, but would he cost too much for the team? It would be great if we could add pickett to the line. He would be the run plugging tackle, with trips being the penatrating tackle(rush the qb). I like that Marv is trying to make our defensive line as young as he can. This also would indicate we could draft a DE in the 1st round if we could add Pickett/other.

ICE74129
03-13-2006, 07:03 AM
Very interesting. We make a move on the kid (or another DT) that makes our draft VERY interesting.

Night Train
03-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Signing him would eliminate Ngata on Draft day. Then Huff moves to the front of the line, unless we trade down or have someone better ( Ferguson,Hawk,Mario Williams etc.) drop, which is unlikely.

ICE74129
03-13-2006, 08:19 AM
Signing him would eliminate Ngata on Draft day. Then Huff moves to the front of the line, unless we trade down or have someone better ( Ferguson,Hawk,Mario Williams etc.) drop, which is unlikely.

We are not taking huff period! It will be a DE or trade down

Night Train
03-13-2006, 08:35 AM

I'd have no problem with that. A tradedown is never a given if the phone doesn't ring.

DE ? After Mario Williams, any other DE would be a major reach. That includes Hali of Penn St. or Kiwanuka of Boston College. Hali is too small and Kiwanuka looked overmatched at the Senior bowl and was downgraded considerably.

Tatonka
03-13-2006, 08:36 AM
wow.. i would LOVE this signing..

i really dont think that people realize how active this guy is.. he has more tackles then almost all the other DTs in the league last season.. he definately flys to the ball.

i wouldnt be against ngata or bunkley on draft day even if we sign picket.. we need an awesome rotation for this D.. the only other guy is anderson.. and sape, i guess.

LifetimeBillsFan
Even if we were to sign Pickett, I still think a DT in the first or second round is a definite possibility unless someone like Ferguson falls into our laps.

At this stage the Bills have two legit DTs on their roster: Anderson and Tripplett. Sape is a guy who will struggle to even be a back-up/emergency option. That means that the Bills need to obtain 1-2 additional DTs to transform the interior of their defensive line and provide enough bodies for them to have a solid rotation at DT.

Because the system the Bills are looking to use at DT this year requires two fairly different types of players, the Bills could look to add a rookie to compete with Anderson for one spot, while adding a vet to rotate with Tripplett at the other. Or, vice versa.

Since the contract that Tripplett got was a pretty good deal for the Bills, they may feel that they can spend more than they had originally intended to pick up a second vet DT--enough to actually allow them to look at Pickett. With Pickett and Tripplett on board, the Bills could hold off until Round 2 or even later to get their "run-stuffer who can run", but it doesn't preclude them from drafting a DT early in the draft (although it would give the team many more options on draft day--which would be great).

The one proviso about Pickett is that, now that the NY Giants have lost K.Clancy, they are also in the market for a DT now. Yesterday's NY Daily News reported that Pickett is one of the guys that they are interested in talking with this week.

NIck in RaCHaCha
I'd have no problem with that. A tradedown is never a given if the phone doesn't ring.

DE ? After Mario Williams, any other DE would be a major reach. That includes Hali of Penn St. or Kiwanuka of Boston College. Hali is too small and Kiwanuka looked overmatched at the Senior bowl and was downgraded considerably.

WE could move up!

ICE74129
03-13-2006, 08:38 AM

Hali would work great here.

justasportsfan
03-13-2006, 08:41 AM
With the impact of guys like Williams and Reed plus Jauron being a former db back himself, i wouldn't be so sure about that. If we don't land anyone of Archulleta's caliber or better, I wouldn't be surprised to see Huff a bill if he's still there at 8.

capitolneal
03-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Huff would be a GREAT PICK.... Bottom line He is Roy Williams but faster this kid is amazing talent can play both coroner and safety, IMHO it would be a mistake to pass on this kid

ICE74129
03-13-2006, 09:05 AM
So you guys say take a guy that couldn't fit at CB or SS in college? He is a tweener. I don't care what he runs a 40 in blah blah blah, I have seen the kid play. Until this year it wasn't that spectacular. Unlike Roy Williams he didn't sit in any one position for a set time, didn't re define the position.

Huff is a workout warrior and that is it. I said this about Mike Williams and I will say it about Huff, you take him that high, he will end up biting us in the ass.

ublinkwescore
03-13-2006, 09:12 AM
I'd rather see us grab Tamba Hali, and sign a free agent or trade down and try to grab Darnell Bing.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-13-2006, 09:13 AM

Can you say TAMBA HALI
http://www.cumberlink.com/PSUfootball/04/game10/images/1111_defense.jpg

ublinkwescore
03-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Chris Hope anyone?

ParanoidAndroid
03-13-2006, 09:19 AM
I'd grab Jimmy Williams. He played safety up until this year when he moved to CB, but he is no tweener. He would be a lights out FS and he's big enough to plug in at SS. He would be somewhat of a waste at SS due to his coverage skills. Any safety that can transition as well as he did to CB has got to be at least gifted. The buzz on Huff may be warranted, but allowing it to overshadow Williams is a mistake IMO. There is also the possibility that he could be a CB in the NFL.

ParanoidAndroid
03-13-2006, 09:24 AM
BOT

Pickett is a must sign. Kollar being here gives us the edge, I hope.

mysticsoto
03-13-2006, 09:28 AM
I'd grab Jimmy Williams. He played safety up until this year when he moved to CB, but he is no tweener. He would be a lights out FS and he's big enough to plug in at SS. He would be somewhat of a waste at SS due to his coverage skills. Any safety that can transition as well as he did to CB has got to be at least gifted. The buzz on Huff may be warranted, but allowing it to overshadow Williams is a mistake IMO. There is also the possibility that he could be a CB in the NFL.

Jimmy Williams has character issues. I don't think he's a Levy type of guy. I wouldn't mind Huff, and I don't believe he's just a workout warrior as ICE says. I think he's a tweener b'cse he's so good, he can do both - not b'cse people don't know which one he'd do better.

That said, Huff wouldn't be my 1st choice. The more I look at the FA signings, the more I think maybe Mario could fall to us after all. GB was slated to take him, but now that they signed their DE to a long term contract, that may not be their top priority. They may want Hawk as their top priority. Which then leaves the Raiders and San Fran. Both have lots of holes to fill and it is difficult to know which way they may take. But stranger things have happened. Nobody thought Aaron Rodgers would last so long in last year's draft and he did. Nobody thought Matt Jones would go that high and he did. Unexpected things could happen - especially if there are trade downs - or trade ups for that matter.

I'm afraid the list of who may be available to us at #8 is much more volatile than it usually is. We may just have to wait until draft day to accurately see who might be available to us at that point...

ParanoidAndroid
03-13-2006, 09:33 AM
I was unaware that he had character issues. There are a few guys I've seen mentioned around here as possible draft picks that I knew had problems, like Wroten and Justice. They fit our needs, but Marv would likely pass. I guess Williams is in the same boat? What did he do? (I'll look it up in the meantime.)

capitolneal
03-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Being here in Austin I have seen this Kid play alot he is Not a work out warrior he is the real deal.... He lined up anywhere Mack Brown wanted him to play he os selfless how can you be a tweener as a db? he is big strong fast and has great instincts and can hit what else do you want in a db?

Night Train
03-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Being here in Austin I have seen this Kid play alot he is Not a work out warrior he is the real deal.... He lined up anywhere Mack Brown wanted him to play he os selfless how can you be a tweener as a db? he is big strong fast and has great instincts and can hit what else do you want in a db?

In the several Texas games I viewed, He showed an uncanny ability to close fast on the ball, whether he was lined up near the LOS or deep. His ability to make plays was all too obvious. 4.34 40 with a knack for the big play. Hard to ignore.

capitolneal
03-13-2006, 09:57 AM
In the several Texas games I viewed, He showed an uncanny ability to close fast on the ball, whether he was lined up near the LOS or deep. His ability to make plays was all too obvious. 4.34 40 with a knack for the big play. Hard to ignore.

Spoken like a knowledgable football fan

ICE74129
03-13-2006, 09:59 AM

consistancy esp against top competition. OU owned him for the time he was there until this year. For all his speed in 04 I saw Adrian Peterson blow by him on route to 225 on the day. So an RB in the backfield outruns a Safety? A CB? Not if they are that good they dont.

He didn't do much until this year. And Selfless is fine...but it doesn't make you a good pro Safety. Get Tank Williams in here if we can.

gr8slayer
03-13-2006, 10:00 AM
I hope we do sign him so we dont get stuck drafting Ngata.

ICE74129
03-13-2006, 10:00 AM

Yes, THIS year. What about the previous years? Read my post on Adrian Peterson. Apperantly huff wasn't running 4.3 anything that day.

eyedog
03-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Except every texas player we get ends up sucking. Actually I like huff but not at #8.
If they can sign Pickett, then the move is to trade up 3 or 4 spots to get into D'brick and Mario territory. I would give up our 1st and 2nd to move up three spots to get either of those two.
My question is our #2 going to be enough ?
Then with the two thirds you can get the dt,ol, or db.

Sportsuser101
03-13-2006, 10:12 AM
We don't need a DE in the 1st round. We have much bigger holes.

ICE74129
03-13-2006, 10:13 AM
Except every texas player we get ends up sucking. Actually I like huff but not at #8.
If they can sign Pickett, then the move is to trade up 3 or 4 spots to get into D'brick and Mario territory. I would give up our 1st and 2nd to move up three spots to get either of those two.
My question is our #2 going to be enough ?
Then with the two thirds you can get the dt,ol, or db.

Name for me how many players from the U of T actually live up to thier hype?

eyedog
03-13-2006, 10:14 AM
A d-end like Mario williams every team needs.

gr8slayer
03-13-2006, 10:14 AM
We don't need a DE in the 1st round. We have much bigger holes.
A pass rush is just as important as anything. I think pass rush is one of our biggest holes.

eyedog
03-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Thats my point Ice. I'm not big on Texas players.

capitolneal
03-13-2006, 10:21 AM
consistancy esp against top competition. OU owned him for the time he was there until this year. For all his speed in 04 I saw Adrian Peterson blow by him on route to 225 on the day. So an RB in the backfield outruns a Safety? A CB? Not if they are that good they dont.

He didn't do much until this year. And Selfless is fine...but it doesn't make you a good pro Safety. Get Tank Williams in here if we can.

Bob Stoopes Owned Texas and peterson and others made Casey Hampton, Tubbs, Vasher, d.johnson look bad but I think each and everyone of those people are doing very well in the nfl

HHURRICANE
03-13-2006, 10:21 AM
"After he finishes meeting with the Green Bay Packers today, free-agent defensive tackle Ryan Pickett is scheduled to visit the Buffalo Bills as he weighs potential contract offers from three NFL teams." http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_25147174.shtml

This would be an incredible signing! I think the Bills would be well advised to move down if there is a taker. However, I have a funny feeling that somebody surprising is going to be at #8. If Brees goes to NO's than #8 becomes alot more interesting!!

ICE74129
03-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Bob Stoopes Owned Texas and peterson and others made Casey Hampton, Tubbs, Vasher, d.johnson look bad but I think each and everyone of those people are doing very well in the nfl

so lets hire bob stoops :bf1:

capitolneal
03-13-2006, 10:25 AM
so lets hire bob stoops :bf1:

Not opposed to it he is a spread offense guy that I think Willis would thrive in and a hell of a motivator

Michael82
03-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Come on Marv. Work your magic again. Impress Pickett enough so he never leaves without a signed contract in his hands. :pray:

gr8slayer
03-13-2006, 10:41 AM
Come on Marv. Work your magic again. Impress Pickett enough so he never leaves without a signed contract in his hands. :pray:
Come on Ralph open up your wallet for once :pray:

justasportsfan
03-13-2006, 10:44 AM
We don't need a DE in the 1st round. We have much bigger holes.I'll take a stud DE anyday. These guys make db's look better than they really are. Kelsay and SHoebel don't scare qb's in the league. I want a DE who makes qb's lose sleep the night before gameday.

HHURRICANE
03-13-2006, 10:50 AM
I'll take a stud DE anyday. These guys make db's look better than they really are. Kelsay and SHoebel don't scare qb's in the league. I want a DE who makes qb's lose sleep the night before gameday.

I agree with you!! I'm tired of coverage sacks!!

HAMMER
03-13-2006, 11:33 AM
So you guys say take a guy that couldn't fit at CB or SS in college? He is a tweener. I don't care what he runs a 40 in blah blah blah, I have seen the kid play. Until this year it wasn't that spectacular. Unlike Roy Williams he didn't sit in any one position for a set time, didn't re define the position.

Huff is a workout warrior and that is it. I said this about Mike Williams and I will say it about Huff, you take him that high, he will end up biting us in the ass.

Sooner Fans all feel this way. Huff is a lot more than a workout warrior, I have watched him make many big plays. I won't call them game changing because Texas killed most of their opponents. Who knows what direction we go, but I say Marv trades downn and picks up another second. Someone will be salivating at what is left at #8.

ICE74129
03-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Sooner Fans all feel this way. Huff is a lot more than a workout warrior, I have watched him make many big plays. I won't call them game changing because Texas killed most of their opponents. Who knows what direction we go, but I say Marv trades downn and picks up another second. Someone will be salivating at what is left at #8.

Sooner fans say this because it took an extrememly down year for TexASS to finally beat us. We have seen the kid play too. He didn't do much until this year.

ublinkwescore
03-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Gotta love the college homerism...

CAbills
03-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Pick up Bernard Pollard from Purdue as SS in the second or 3rd. Boiler love!

TedMock
03-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Gotta love the college homerism...

Exactly. It takes everything I have to realize that we don't need Vernon Davis, but man would I be quietly pleased to have the fellow Terp playing for the Bills!

ParanoidAndroid
03-13-2006, 02:36 PM
I agree with you!! I'm tired of coverage sacks!!

Good to know that others see Schobel for what he is. He is solid, but 9 out of 10 of his sacks are a result of coverage. If we are going to play cover 2, we had better upgrade our pass rush.

Crisis
03-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Name for me how many players from the U of T actually live up to thier hype?

That's dumb.

There's an exception to everything, LT from TCU, busts from ThugU, DeMarcus Ware went to TROY didn't he?

Picking a player because of what college he goes to is is stupid.