PDA

View Full Version : Number 1 Offseason FA priority

Ebenezer
01-31-2003, 03:31 PM
OK...we all know that the Bills have some holes...

(in no order)
WR-Moulds and Reed and ????

RB-Henry and Centers and ???

DL-Williams, Schobel and ???

LB-Fletcher, Robinson and ???

what should the 1st priority be in FA??

justasportsfan
01-31-2003, 03:52 PM
Where have our opponents been more successful against us? Running? Passing ,because of the lack of a pass rush w/c in turn hurt out take aways?

IMO, cheerleading.

jk,DL

lordofgun
01-31-2003, 03:53 PM
Our linebacking corps is looking mighty slow right now.

Bert102176
01-31-2003, 04:22 PM
I'm happy Spoon is healthy

EDS
01-31-2003, 05:04 PM
As bad as our D-line played at times last year we have much more talent on our roster now at DT and DE than we do at OLB. We desperately need some speed at linebacker. At least we have some young talent on the DL that "could" develop, but you cannot say the same for LB.

WG
01-31-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Our linebacking corps is looking mighty slow right now.

Gotta agree with that!

Robinson? If he's on the team next season then TD ain't doin' his job right. There's gotta be 20 LBs available who can play better than ER!

IMO our biggest hole is at DT. We were 4th from last this past season in rushing D. We allowed ~130 YPG. Getting an LB won't solve that and if we start next year what we had this, then Williams won't get any help. I don't think there's a starter in the bunch the way they played this season other than Williams.

A solid DL beginning w/ two good DTs would help the LBs immensely. If we fill the DT hole w/ a stellar player, then perhaps we won't need a stellar LB. If we got one anyway, all the better. A good DT would help the LBs, whoever they are, and the secondary as well.

On the flip side, getting a star OLB and not addressing the DT spot isn't going to help the rushing D much. It therefore would have less of an impact for the secondary as well.

If we're looking at this in terms of simply "filling slots", sure, we need a LB more since all we really have is Fletcher and Spoon. But if the question is which of the two we should dump more money into, then IMO it's unquestionably the DT position.

Office, Edwards, and Bannan just aren't starters. A great DT and average LB is gonna go a LOT further than an average DT and a great OLB.

We've gotta get this rushing defense under control! OLB isn't going to address that as much as DT will.

casdhf
01-31-2003, 05:43 PM
Running back?

RedEyE
01-31-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176
I'm happy Spoon is healthy

I am as well, but will Spoon stay healthy? The guy has been a constant strain on the IR since he's been drafted. It's been so long since he's played. I'm not sure if he even remembers how to tackle.

I'm voting DL, but I think that OLB is the next greatest concern. Too bad the club isn't hot on keeping Newman, because I firmly believe that he can get it done in the right system. He was completely misused last season and Robinson was a major flunky that just never came around.

WR becomes a concern if both Price and Riemersma are out the door. If the Bills loose two of Drew's receiving options then it becomes absolutely necessary to hire another. IMO (and I probably stand absolutely alone on this one), if Price decides to test the market then TD should retain JayR under new negotiated terms. I personally believe that JR got lost in the offensive shuffle last year, his performance was muted by multiple individuals having the ability to get it done. We all know that Jay had the talent. I guess the only question that remains is can he find it again - I think he can.

RB/FB is really not a problem. RB should be last priority. Infact I think that TD needs to thin the talent and use the cap space for other positions.
Of course Henry and Centers are the starters and if it were me I'd release Sammy Morris. I know Bryson has had a reoccuring knee injury but when healthy he is an excellent 2nd back. Joe Burns and Phillip Crosby both show great potential.

A choice that wasn't offered was OL. I know that the OL has vastly improved in talent and overall performance in the last two season, but there is always room for improvement. Every year several GOOD O Lineman become available through F Agency. This season should be no different. If the right individual is available then he should be worth considering. QUICK NOTE: Ruben is entering his 9th season(FYI). Without insulting the many backup OTs on the roster there are no other "true' Guards that back the position. Just something to think about.

Another choice that wasn't considered was KR. Most of us are satisfied with Charlie Rogers, but I feel that the talent should be reviewed, and other options should be at least considered.

ublinkwescore
01-31-2003, 06:10 PM
Get rid of Rogers, Watson, Riemersma, Robinson, and we'll have a $#!+load more cap space to address any and all weak points on our team. Put Clements back to return punts - he did better at that then Rogers did. And for Kickoff returns, use Crosby, or Kevin Thomas, or Sammy Morris. Then bring in the best DT we can get our hands on regardless of how they rank on the @$$hole meter - just because they scored a ten on it in the past doesn't mean they can't pull a Kerry Collins to the Giants for us. Eric Moulds will straighten them out no matter who they are. Then we need to get Colvin or someone to replace Slowpoke Robinson - I could outrun him with crutches - hell, I could out juke him with crutches too.