PDA

View Full Version : A return for Runyan?

Michael82
03-13-2006, 11:22 AM
A return for Runyan? Along the offensive line, the Eagles are still discussing the idea of re-signing right tackle Jon Runyan, who had a visit of his own scheduled for this morning.

"I'm leaving the country," he said. "But my flight connects in Charlotte, so maybe people will be talking about me going" to the Carolina Panthers.

Runyan is going to be on vacation until Saturday and said he did not have any visits scheduled with other NFL teams.

"Make the offer first, and then I'll come visit," he said. "I'm not sure I'm going to make any visits."

As for the Eagles' decision not to make an offer before the start of free agency, Runyan admitted that he would have liked them to handle things differently, but he didn't expect it.

"You'd like it, but you know that's not their style," he said. "You've seen many guys go through that and walk out the door and move on. They've had quarrels about it, but I'm not about to do anything like that. It's not worth all the emotional strain that takes."

Runyan, 32, said he appreciates fans' getting upset that after taking a pay cut last season, he now finds himself in limbo with the team. But the giant tackle is every bit as unflappable as he is reliable when it comes to lining up to play on game day.

"I can see where people are coming from," Runyan said. "But that's how [the Eagles] conduct their business. It's not a popular way of doing things, but if you're going to be around them, you have to deal with it. Some people go out of their way to take care of the players, but this is a business."

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/14084405.htm

ICE74129
03-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Eagles | Team discussing re-signing Runyan
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 22:02:04 -0800
Bob Brookover, of the Philadelphia Inquirer, reports the Philadelphia Eagles are still discussing the idea of re-signing free agent OT (http://www.kffl.com/team/29/nfl)Jon Runyan (http://www.kffl.com/player/1471/nfl) (Eagles). Runyan is going to be on vacation until Saturday, March 18, and said he did not have any visits scheduled with other NFL (http://www.kffl.com/team/77/nfl) teams.

That says to me he isn't in a hurry. It also says that in spite of rumors, maybe Marv isn't as high on him as the rumors thought?

gr8slayer
03-13-2006, 11:25 AM
They should re-sign him. He is a hell of a football player.

Michael82
03-13-2006, 11:28 AM
That says to me he isn't in a hurry. It also says that in spite of rumors, maybe Marv isn't as high on him as the rumors thought?
After reading the article, it doesn't seem like many people are interested. He also sounds like he will only come and visit a team if someone offers him a contract first. :scratch:

gr8slayer
03-13-2006, 11:29 AM
After reading the article, it doesn't seem like many people are interested. He also sounds like he will only come and visit a team if someone offers him a contract first. :scratch:
Dont talk back to ICE, he'll slap you with his GED.

chernobylwraiths
03-13-2006, 11:31 AM
You pretty much know what you are going to get if you sign him so why not make him an offer?

ICE74129
03-13-2006, 11:32 AM

That is always a red flag. He is good, not great....good. But so was Peters at RT. I have faith that Modrak, Guy, Jauron, McNally and Marv have a list of the RIGHT guys to try and bring in. If there arn't any that signifigantly upgrade us and are affordable, then you draft who you need.

ICE74129
03-13-2006, 11:33 AM
You pretty much know what you are going to get if you sign him so why not make him an offer?

Really? I would rather him go through a physical, sit down with the staff and make sure he is a good fit HERE.

gr8slayer
03-13-2006, 11:34 AM
Really? I would rather him go through a physical, sit down with the staff and make sure he is a good fit HERE.
It doesnt matter what you want if he isnt willing to come in and do it.

Michael82
03-13-2006, 11:40 AM
I agree with you. Modrak was the one who signed him in FA, he knows all about him. With Runyan, if u are interested....send him an offer before he leaves for his vacation and he'll probably come here for a visit. :up:

ICE74129
03-13-2006, 11:47 AM
It doesnt matter what you want if he isnt willing to come in and do it.

Ok which is it? You scream 'Throw money at them... they will come'. Now you say it doesn't matter if they dont' want to be here. So which is it?

ICE74129
03-13-2006, 11:47 AM
I agree with you. Modrak was the one who drafted him, he knows all about him. With Runyan, if u are interested....send him an offer before he leaves for his vacation and he'll probably come here for a visit. :up:

Before you do that ask yourself, why isn't anyone else beating down his door?

Michael82
03-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Before you do that ask yourself, why isn't anyone else beating down his door?
maybe because teams are scared away by his age? :idunno:

casdhf
03-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Wasn't he drafted by the Titans?

Michael82
03-13-2006, 12:48 PM
yup, good catch. He was drafted by the Houston Oilers.

But Tom Modrak did bring him into Philly in free agency.

capitolneal
03-13-2006, 12:49 PM

Yes... Modrak piucked him up as a free agent when he was with Philly