• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

SS Pool running thin

I'm hoping Marv plans on getting a new starting SS through the early part of the draft, because I REALLY DONT think Rashad Baker is ready to be a starter. He gives good depth but I'm not prepared to rely on him for 60 minutes and I doubt Marv is either.

There are only two starting-quality SS's on the FA market that I see.
    1- Lance Schulters- Cap victim in Miami. Former Pro Bowl if we go FA route he's the best out there at what we need.

2- Tank Wiliams - good physical safety but weakness is in coverage, much like Milloy, only younger.

I'm really starting to think we go safety, either with Huff at 8 or a 2nd rounder..

This is why I REALLY hope we sign a guard like Neal through FA, to eliminate the need for one early in the draft.. If we get a guard like Neal through FA

Then in the draft we can one of two routes
    1- Huff in the first, and best DT in second (Watson, Wroten perhaps)

2- Ngata or Bunkley in first.. and Watkins or Bullocks in the second.

And one other quick note.. I chatted with someone from nfl draft scout.. And he said the rumblings about Williams (VT) being mentally unstabble are greatly exxagerated.. If Buffalo traded down 3-4 spots and had him on the board he'd be a great pickup..

In fact talent-wise, some people think he projects as a safety even better htan huff.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • L.A. Playa
    • Aug 2003

Re: SS Pool running thin

your best hope is that Darnell Bing has a terrible pro day and swoop him up in rd 2

Comment

• camelcowboy
      • Mar 2005

Well the bright side of the cover 2, is that the safties are interchangable. So thats why i think baker could be our safety, or we could see a chris hope,

Comment

• ICE74129
        Legendary Zoner
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by camelcowboy
        Well the bright side of the cover 2, is that the safties are interchangable. So thats why i think baker could be our safety, or we could see a chris hope,
        Thank you! in the cover 2 there is no FS/SS there are just safetys. Baker CAN Be our other safety and do well.

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

I don't agree.. I'd spend the money on Hope though, but I would not trust a starting safety spot to Rashad Baker for at least one more year.

IF he continues to get better than maybe he takes over for Vincent in 2007.

Comment

• ICE74129
            Legendary Zoner
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
            I don't agree.. I'd spend the money on Hope though, but I would not trust a starting safety spot to Rashad Baker for at least one more year.

IF he continues to get better than maybe he takes over for Vincent in 2007.
            What the hell are you talking about? Do you know the cover 2? Then you would understand Baker is FINE as a STARTING safety in it. Will they start him? I don't know. What I do know is baker could have started at Safety last year easilly and done well.

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Your right.. Baker COULD have started last year at safety..
              And you just said it perfectly my man..

that is a reason WHY Buffalo is a 5-11 team.
              No knock on Baker, but he has a lot to learn..

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

I'd love Chris Hope or Michael Huff.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                  Your right.. Baker COULD have started last year at safety..
                  And you just said it perfectly my man..

that is a reason WHY Buffalo is a 5-11 team.
                  No knock on Baker, but he has a lot to learn..
                  And a rookie safety--be it Huff, Williams, Bing, Simpson, or any other--wouldn't have a lot to learn? Give me a break....! It is ridiculous to say that the Bills should draft a rookie to plug into the starting lineup because their 2 year veteran "has a lot to learn". Baker might not have ideal size or speed, but after a couple of years of playing in the NFL, he already knows more about playing the position in the NFL than any rookie, no matter how talented.

If the Bills are going to draft a safety, as expected, remember that this draft is pretty deep at safety--especially if you are playing a system where the safeties are interchangeable. While Huff, Williams and Simpson are projected to go in the 1st Round, there are a number of safeties who project with 2nd-3rd round grades, including Bing, Bullocks, Watkins, Whitner, Blue, Landry and Pollard.

While it is possible that the Bills may take Huff, depending on who is still on the board at # 8, if they don't there is a pretty good chance that they will look to take Whitner, who they interviewed at the Combine, in either Round 2 or, more likely, Round 3. Whitner, out of Ohio State, is a shade shorter and stockier than Huff and almost as fast. Ohio State also has a history of producing pretty good NFL DBs, so Whitner has been well-schooled and would be well-prepared to step in and play right away.

While I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the Bills might take Huff, I would be very surprised if they do because they know that they can get a decent safety later on. If all of the guys that they have been projected to take--Mario Williams, Hawk, Ngata, Ferguson, etc.--are gone when they pick at # 8 and they have addressed their needs at DT in free agency, it wouldn't surprise me if they were to use their top pick on someone totally unexpected who may be projected to go a little later in the first round, like a Tamba Hali or Chad Jackson/Santonio Holmes, and still pick up an offensive lineman in the second round and a safety in Round 3.
                  Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• G. Host
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                    What the hell are you talking about? Do you know the cover 2? Then you would understand Baker is FINE as a STARTING safety in it. Will they start him? I don't know. What I do know is baker could have started at Safety last year easilly and done well.
                    He could easily have done as much as Milloy.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                      Too sober for this...
                      • Apr 2004

LTBF is correct. Baker has shown good signs and even with the little experience he has, it dwarfs the experience that a rookie will have. People are judging Baker by the way he played previously. But the Cover 2 is different and easier on DBs to pick up and handle. Baker also has good speed which should help him a great deal. He will probably do just fine. The Safeties in the draft are deep and we should probably be able to get one fine in the 3rd round. I like Pat Watkins alot, but I think he will still be there in the 3rd...

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

In the Cover 2, an actual Strong Safety no longer exists. The CB's play up tight on the line and release deep. The Safties both sit back deep and must close fast with the play in front of them. Milloy was a dead duck the minute the Cover 2 was announced, since his game was playing up close to the LOS like a 4th LB. Void of the needed speed.

Even Jim Leonard has a shot at some playing time. He did record 22 INT's at Wisconson playing a deep closing Safety.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• ICE74129
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by G. Host
                          He could easily have done as much as Milloy.
                          Nope, Milloy doesn't have the speed nor agility anymore.

Comment

• NC-BILLS44
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
                            In the Cover 2, an actual Strong Safety no longer exists. The CB's play up tight on the line and release deep. The Safties both sit back deep and must close fast with the play in front of them. Milloy was a dead duck the minute the Cover 2 was announced, since his game was playing up close to the LOS like a 4th LB. Void of the needed speed.

Even Jim Leonard has a shot at some playing time. He did record 22 INT's at Wisconson playing a deep closing Safety.
                            If this is true, that they must close fast, then maybe Huff is a good choice. Didn't he play both CB and S at Texas?

Comment

• ICE74129
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

Baker can handle it

Comment

Working...
                              X