PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Pickett and Reggie Wells in Buffalo today!

Michael82
03-14-2006, 10:36 AM
V.COACH BILLS:
Free agents DT Ryan Pickett (St. Louis) and G Reggie Wells (Arizona) are visiting One Bills Drive today.

:up:

RedEyE
03-14-2006, 10:39 AM
We knew Pickett was coming...Who is Wells?

Michael82
03-14-2006, 10:40 AM
Guard from Arizona. I have him on my BZFL team. He's pretty good and young too. :up:

RedEyE
03-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Pro Career: Arizona’s first selection in the sixth round (177th overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft, Wells started every game for the Cardinals in 2004 after making his first career start in the dramatic 2003 season finale vs. Minnesota.

2004: Started at left guard in each of the first 15 games of the season … shifted to left tackle for the final game of 2004 due to an injury to Leonard Davis and was part of an offensive line that did not allow a sack vs. TB (1/2).

2003: Appeared in 15 games (one start), primarily on special teams … first pro start at left tackle in place of L.J. Shelton (ankle) vs. Min (12/28) in season-ending 18–17 win … prior to game-winning touchdown pass from quarterback Josh McCown to Nate Poole, recovered a McCown fumble on previous play when Vikings defensive lineman Chris Hovan batted the ball away from McCown as Wells made the recovery to set up the dramatic finish.

College: Four-year starter at Clarion State … two-time NCAA Division II all-America and all-Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) choice … product of the school’s weight room, adding over 50 pounds to his frame after arriving on Clarion campus as a freshman … father Reggie, Sr. a basketball all-America at Clarion, was inducted into the Clarion Sports Hall of Fame in 1990.

Personal: attended South Park (Library, Pa.) High School … lettered in football and basketball … all-league defensive end led squad to league title by posting 13.5 quarterback sacks as a senior … communications major at Clarion … resides in Library, PA.

Ickybaluky
03-14-2006, 10:42 AM

Wells is a OG for Arizona. He is a restricted FA.

Arizona tendered him the low tender, and he comes with a 6th round pick as compensation.

Michael82
03-14-2006, 10:43 AM
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" bgColor=#999999 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#cccccc><TD class=text16B align=middle colSpan=3>74, Reggie Wells, G, Arizona Cardinals</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text11 width="26%"> Height: 6-4</TD><TD class=text11 width="40%"> Weight: 320</TD><TD class=text11 width="34%"> Experience: 3 years</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text11 width="26%"> Born: 11/3/1980</TD><TD class=text11 width="40%"> Birthplace: </TD><TD class=text11 width="34%"> College: Clarion</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><LINK href="/stats/nflinfo/nfl_stylesheet.css" rel=stylesheet>

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" bgColor=#cccccc border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#999999><TD class=text11B vAlign=top align=middle colSpan=10>Career Offensive Line Stats</TD></TR><TR align=right bgColor=#cccccc><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom align=left width="9%">Year</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom align=left width="9%">Team</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="9%">G</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="9%">GS</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="9%">Pen</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="9%">Yds</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="10%">False Start</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="9%">Holding</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="9%">Sacks Allwd</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="9%">Yds</TD></TR><TR align=right bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text11 align=left>2003</TD><TD class=text11 align=left>Ari (http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/teams.asp?team=22)</TD><TD class=text11>15</TD><TD class=text11>1</TD><TD class=text11>0</TD><TD class=text11>0</TD><TD class=text11>0</TD><TD class=text11>0</TD><TD class=text11>2.00</TD><TD class=text11>16.00</TD></TR><TR align=right bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text11 align=left>2004</TD><TD class=text11 align=left>Ari (http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/teams.asp?team=22)</TD><TD class=text11>16</TD><TD class=text11>16</TD><TD class=text11>5</TD><TD class=text11>40</TD><TD class=text11>2</TD><TD class=text11>3</TD><TD class=text11>3.00</TD><TD class=text11>24.00</TD></TR><TR align=right bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text11 align=left>2005</TD><TD class=text11 align=left>Ari (http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/teams.asp?team=22)</TD><TD class=text11>9</TD><TD class=text11>9</TD><TD class=text11>1</TD><TD class=text11>10</TD><TD class=text11>0</TD><TD class=text11>1</TD><TD class=text11>2.25</TD><TD class=text11>17.75</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
http://snap.stats.com/snap/pfw/nfl/playerstats.asp?id=6513&Submit=Go

Ickybaluky
03-14-2006, 10:44 AM
The only odd thing is Arizona has oodles of cap room. If they want to keep him, they can match any contract.

It seems the Bills would just be negotiating for Arizona.

RedEyE
03-14-2006, 10:45 AM
The only odd thing is Arizona has oodles of cap room. If they want to keep him, they can match any contract.

That's an understatement. They'll have 67$ mill to spend next year :dizzy:

ICE74129
03-14-2006, 10:45 AM
I can hear the *****ing now from the kids on the board :roflmao: The guy may be great depth or turn into a quality starter. New England did great turning guys just like this into a solid OL.

ICE74129
03-14-2006, 10:46 AM

If they like him they have to try.

ublinkwescore
03-14-2006, 10:47 AM
Ice, I think you may have killed this thread...

mysticsoto
03-14-2006, 10:48 AM
Wells is a OG for Arizona. He is a restricted FA.

Arizona tendered him the low tender, and he comes with a 6th round pick as compensation.

Sounds like he's got good promise. A 6th rounder for a guy that has experience starting in the NFL AND has done well in his role...sounds good - and he would close out the hole we have at LG. If we can get both of these, I'm very happy in closing most of the holes we have. Then we can concentrate on best available player at the draft!!!

Although I guess we still have a WR hole when we let Moulds go...it would be awesome then if we could grab Davis in the 1st round, and use our 2nd and one our 3rds to get into the late 1st rd and grab Chad Jackson. Not likely, but grabbing these two would add SO Much speed to our offense, it would probably make the Rams offense a few years ago look like slow motion!!!

ICE74129
03-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Lets hope Marv is 4 for 4 on signings with Pickett

ICE74129
03-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Ice, I think you may have killed this thread...

HUH?

EDS
03-14-2006, 10:51 AM
Reggie Wells | OG Complete player profile
Full Name: Reggie Wells
Born: November 3, 1980
, TX
Height: 6-4
Weight: 320 lbs. Age: 25
Pos: OG
Experience: 3 years
College: Clarion
Drafted: Year:2003 Round:6 Pick:4, Cardinals
Insider Analysis
Grade 70
Expert's Take He is a starting left guard who will be a restricted free agent with sixth-round compensation. He is a young player who should receive the upgraded restricted free agent tender based on this being a very poor guard market. He was starting to play better toward the end of last season but was injured and placed on IR. He has very good size and bulk. He flashes solid first-step quickness. He flashes the ability to play explosive in-line. He shows a little initial pop as a run blocker. He is effective on down blocks -- he can collapse down and create a run or cutback lane. He has good short-area foot quickness. He slides off initial blocks well in an effort to get to the second level. One of his biggest improvements has been his hand use. They are much more active. He does not show a lot of range or mobility. He does not look like he has long arms and allows defenders to get into his body. He is more of a straight-line man blocker -- he struggles to move laterally. He can lose his power on angle blocks. He is quick to the second level, but is slow to adjust on the move. He does not pull or trap as effectively as the Cardinals would like. Overall, he is a small school player (Clarion College) who has upside. He is still a little raw and rough around the edges, but offensive line play has diminished at the NFL level and this guy could be something special.

Kerr
03-14-2006, 10:53 AM
The cardinals lineman coach said that Wells was their best lineman. Sounds like he could start at LG. Get him Marv.

I like how marv is trying to find and sign young, cheap and upcoming players.

Michael82
03-14-2006, 10:53 AM
Sounds like he's got good promise. A 6th rounder for a guy that has experience starting in the NFL AND has done well in his role...sounds good - and he would close out the hole we have at LG. If we can get both of these, I'm very happy in closing most of the holes we have. Then we can concentrate on best available player at the draft!!!

Although I guess we still have a WR hole when we let Moulds go...it would be awesome then if we could grab Davis in the 1st round, and use our 2nd and one our 3rds to get into the late 1st rd and grab Chad Jackson. Not likely, but grabbing these two would add SO Much speed to our offense, it would probably make the Rams offense a few years ago look like slow motion!!!
Eric Moulds replacement.....

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/nd/galleries/m-footbl-112903/stovall-lg.jpg

:pray:

ICE74129
03-14-2006, 10:54 AM
The cardinals lineman coach said that Wells was their best lineman. Sounds like he could start at LG. Get him Marv.

Crap. Yeah that means they will try to match the offer. Damn.

ublinkwescore
03-14-2006, 10:54 AM
HUH?

what?

damn it, Kelly Monaco was distracting me again.

ICE74129
03-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Eric Moulds replacement.....

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/nd/galleries/m-footbl-112903/stovall-lg.jpg

:pray:

I'd rather have a J Walker / Veteran guy.

Michael82
03-14-2006, 10:55 AM

if thats the case, they should have locked him up themselves. I hope Marv offers him a contract with the Bills and he asks Arizona not to match. That would be sweet. :pray:

Michael82
03-14-2006, 10:58 AM

Damn if thats the case, whats the point of wasting our time? :(

Maybe Marv can create a contract that makes Arizona iffy about signing him. Either way, you might as well try. :up:

lynobx
03-14-2006, 11:05 AM
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" bgColor=#999999 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#cccccc><TD class=text16B align=middle colSpan=3>74, Reggie Wells, G, Arizona Cardinals</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text11 width="26%">Height: 6-4</TD><TD class=text11 width="40%">Weight: 320</TD><TD class=text11 width="34%">Experience: 3 years</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text11 width="26%">Born: 11/3/1980</TD><TD class=text11 width="40%">Birthplace: </TD><TD class=text11 width="34%">College: Clarion</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><LINK href="/stats/nflinfo/nfl_stylesheet.css" rel=stylesheet>

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" bgColor=#cccccc border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#999999><TD class=text11B vAlign=top align=middle colSpan=10>Career Offensive Line Stats</TD></TR><TR align=right bgColor=#cccccc><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom align=left width="9%">Year</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom align=left width="9%">Team</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="9%">G</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="9%">GS</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="9%">Pen</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="9%">Yds</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="10%">False Start</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="9%">Holding</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="9%">Sacks Allwd</TD><TD class=text11B vAlign=bottom width="9%">Yds</TD></TR><TR align=right bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text11 align=left>2003</TD><TD class=text11 align=left>Ari (http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/teams.asp?team=22)</TD><TD class=text11>15</TD><TD class=text11>1</TD><TD class=text11>0</TD><TD class=text11>0</TD><TD class=text11>0</TD><TD class=text11>0</TD><TD class=text11>2.00</TD><TD class=text11>16.00</TD></TR><TR align=right bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text11 align=left>2004</TD><TD class=text11 align=left>Ari (http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/teams.asp?team=22)</TD><TD class=text11>16</TD><TD class=text11>16</TD><TD class=text11>5</TD><TD class=text11>40</TD><TD class=text11>2</TD><TD class=text11>3</TD><TD class=text11>3.00</TD><TD class=text11>24.00</TD></TR><TR align=right bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text11 align=left>2005</TD><TD class=text11 align=left>Ari (http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/teams.asp?team=22)</TD><TD class=text11>9</TD><TD class=text11>9</TD><TD class=text11>1</TD><TD class=text11>10</TD><TD class=text11>0</TD><TD class=text11>1</TD><TD class=text11>2.25</TD><TD class=text11>17.75</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
According to these stats, he's allowed about one sack every 5 games, and comitted about 1 holding penalty every 6 games, over his last 25 starts. That's pretty good.

ICE74129
03-14-2006, 11:07 AM
here is what I wonder, why not Stephen Neal? No draft pick lost, no matching etc? I wonder if he and Ashworth really aren't that good? I'd also like to hear if we are officially bringing in Mawae or not.

ICE74129
03-14-2006, 11:07 AM
According to these stats, he's allowed about one sack every 5 games, and comitted about 1 holding penalty every 6 games, over his last 25 starts. That's pretty good.

And the kid is getting better.

Michael82
03-14-2006, 11:08 AM
here is what I wonder, why not Stephen Neal? No draft pick lost, no matching etc? I wonder if he and Ashworth really aren't that good? I'd also like to hear if we are officially bringing in Mawae or not.
I hope Stephen Neal comes in Buffalo for a visit tomorrow. I really like him too.

ublinkwescore
03-14-2006, 11:08 AM
I'm sold, I just hope Marv makes a point of suggesting that he ask Arizona not to match our offer for him. - seems like he's worth a 6th rounder for - I'd part with that 6th rounder this year as well.

ICE74129
03-14-2006, 11:10 AM
I hope Stephen Neal comes in Buffalo for a visit tomorrow. I really like him too.

Sign the kid from AZ, Neal, Mawae, cut Villarial? Hummmmm.....

eyedog
03-14-2006, 11:11 AM
You don't want Ashworth. Marginal at best. We have enough of those on this line already.

ublinkwescore
03-14-2006, 11:11 AM

I think it's a value question - do you go for former pats who have rings, but are clearly older and will likely command more money, or an up and comer who can likely be had for cheaper with surrendering a 6th round draft pick - I'd take the latter if Marv sees on film that this guy is the real deal.

That being said, I'm convinced now more than ever that Marv is the real deal GM.

He's obviously going after needs and he's getting guys that will be more than stopgap players - guys that can maintain some level of continuity - look how long it took Pittsburgh to get to the promised land - a big part of that was keeping core players in place for long periods of time and keeping the same systems in place.

Ickybaluky
03-14-2006, 11:12 AM
I can't see any contract that Arizona would not match, they are loaded with cap room and are building an offense to feature in their new stadium. I can't see them signing Edge and then letting go of a starting OL, especially considering they need help on the OL already.

I don't know that they would just let him go if he asked either, Mikey. Maybe if he said please.

It could be that Buffalo is just getting an early look at him for next year, thinking he will be unrestricted then. It could just be doing their homework.

ICE74129
03-14-2006, 11:17 AM
I can't see any contract that Arizona would not match, they are loaded with cap room and are building an offense to feature in their new stadium. I can't see them signing Edge and then letting go of a starting OL, especially considering they need help on the OL already.

I don't know that they would just let him go if he asked either, Mikey. Maybe if he said please.

It could be that Buffalo is just getting an early look at him for next year, thinking he will be unrestricted then. It could just be doing their homework.

Or appeasing the whiny kids scraming 'WE NEED OL, NOT TE, WR, DT blah blah blah' LOL

Tatonka
03-14-2006, 11:24 AM
wells sounds decent.. i wouldnt be unhappy with his signing.. but the main priority is to lock up pickett.. that could be huge.

HAMMER
03-14-2006, 11:35 AM
I think it's a value question - do you go for former pats who have rings, but are clearly older and will likely command more money, or an up and comer who can likely be had for cheaper with surrendering a 6th round draft pick - I'd take the latter if Marv sees on film that this guy is the real deal.

That being said, I'm convinced now more than ever that Marv is the real deal GM.

He's obviously going after needs and he's getting guys that will be more than stopgap players - guys that can maintain some level of continuity - look how long it took Pittsburgh to get to the promised land - a big part of that was keeping core players in place for long periods of time and keeping the same systems in place.

Yes, yes, yes. If only more people understood this, the football world would be a better place.

Saratoga Slim
03-14-2006, 11:40 AM
pickett would be huge. I wish he was a little huger (in size) but nonetheless that'd take a lot of pressure off our draft.

I have never heard of Wells before, but from the info on this thread, I'm glad that Marv identified him as a worthy prospect and got him in here for a talk. Like someone said above, I like that we're grabbing a bunch of fairly young guys that have proven their ability to play NFL ball but still have upside.

ublinkwescore
03-14-2006, 11:52 AM

And it's about bloody time that this team had a GM who is "doing their homework".

Marv may just get Ralph Wilson his SuperBowl win before he expires at the rate he's going.

Michael82
03-14-2006, 12:01 PM
And it's about bloody time that this team had a GM who is "doing their homework".

Marv may just get Ralph Wilson his SuperBowl win before he expires at the rate he's going.
Agreed. So far, Marv has done a very good job. I like that he has spent time studying and isn't going for the one-year wonders or the overpaid, expensive old guys.

patmoran2006
03-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Few quick points and observations

1- Ublink.. Neal is far from old.. I think he may end up resigning with NE, I sure as hell know Brady wants him back, he's said it publicly Neal should be a high priority.

2- I dont know enough about Wells on my own to conjur up any analysis.. I visited Cardinal message boards and the consenus is he' s a bum.. Coming from Cards fans that scares me.. On the other hand, these are Cards fans were talking about.

3- Lenny Pan from ESPN said that Pickett could the steal of the ENTIRE fa, I hope to god we get him.. Our DL will be so so sooo much better with him

AndreReed83
03-14-2006, 02:58 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" bgColor=#999999 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#cccccc><TD class=text16B align=middle colSpan=3>74, Reggie Wells, G, Arizona Cardinals</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text11 width="26%"> Height: 6-4</TD><TD class=text11 width="40%"> Weight: 320</TD><TD class=text11 width="34%"> Experience: 3 years</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=text11 width="26%"> Born: 11/3/1980</TD><TD class=text11 width="40%"> Birthplace: </TD><TD class=text11 width="34%"> College: Clarion</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><LINK href="/stats/nflinfo/nfl_stylesheet.css" rel=stylesheet>

All I have to say to Marv and Co. is. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!

Ahem... Bring this guy in please, if possible.

kgun12
03-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Not til Tuesday on both Wells and Pickett

Bills | Wells visiting with team
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:34:49 -0800

BuffaloBills.com reports free agent G Reggie Wells (Cardinals) will be visiting with the Buffalo Bills Tuesday, March 14.

Bills | Team visiting with Pickett
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:29:04 -0800

Buffalobills.com reports the Buffalo Bills visited with free agent DT Ryan Pickett (Rams) Tuesday, March 14.

Night Train
03-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Wells will not excite anyone but a couple dozen NFL starts at Guard for a low 6th round pick, he's woth a dice roll. If he bombs, who cares ? He costs nothing.

Ickybaluky
03-14-2006, 03:12 PM
1- Ublink.. Neal is far from old.. I think he may end up resigning with NE, I sure as hell know Brady wants him back, he's said it publicly Neal should be a high priority.

Neal hasn't been rumored to visit anywhere yet. You have heard nothing on the guy. As for his age, he will turn 30 during the season this year.

I think the Patriots would like Neal back, but only at the right price. They have Koppen, Hochstein, Mankins, Ross Tucker and Billy Yates (played at the end of last season and they like him) as interior OL, so they have some depth. I think they are letting Neal go test the market to find a price and will see if they want to meet that price or not.

Neal has improved tremendously the last couple years after coming into the league at age 25 having not played since high school. He is strong and athletic, but his technique still gets him in trouble. He tends to leave his feet at times and can struggle when faced with a veteran player who can take advantage when he gets himself off balance. He will make some great blocks and destroy guys, but will get off-balance and look like a fool on occasion. He is a very athletic guy and runs well for an OG (he can pull and trap), but he probably will never have great technique.

He is a good player, but not one you will break the bank for.

Tatonka
03-14-2006, 03:32 PM
pickett would be huge. I wish he was a little huger (in size) but nonetheless that'd take a lot of pressure off our draft.

I have never heard of Wells before, but from the info on this thread, I'm glad that Marv identified him as a worthy prospect and got him in here for a talk. Like someone said above, I like that we're grabbing a bunch of fairly young guys that have proven their ability to play NFL ball but still have upside.

pickets playing weight is about 330.. that is about 45 lbs heavier than what tripplet plays at.. i would call that pretty hefty.

any bigger, and we are approaching fat sam and fat ted territory.

pat williams played at 330 lbs or close there too for long time.. and was as good as anyone.

ICE74129
03-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This doesn't sound good. :(Is it me or did Wells not sound that thrilled?