PDA

View Full Version : LOL! Tom Donahoe is still blaming the media

Michael82
03-14-2006, 11:18 AM
"That's a great signing," former Bills president Tom Donahoe told jaguars.com. "The media (in Buffalo) keep describing him as a bust. He's not a bust. This past year he had some injury problems that set him back. He's like all young offensive linemen. His first couple of years he felt his way; 2004 was his best year. Jim McNally (offensive line coach) said on numerous occasions (Williams) was as good as any big man he's ever coached."

Donahoe drafted Williams in '02 and remains as convinced now as he was then that Williams can be a star player in the league.

"If you wanna run the football, he's the guy you want on your offensive line. He's a dominating run-blocker when he's healthy. He mashes guys. He knocks guys 10 yards off the ball," Donahoe said.

"This is an outstanding signing. What got him in the doghouse last year are the injuries. He was getting into the big years of his contract. They were too high. If Mike's healthy, he will definitely upgrade their line. He's young and has a lot of football ahead of him," Donahoe added.

http://www.jaguars.com/story/5054.asp

ublinkwescore
03-14-2006, 11:22 AM
:loner:

RedEyE
03-14-2006, 11:22 AM
:rolleyes: Jobless *****

ICE74129
03-14-2006, 11:30 AM
:rolleyes: Jobless ***** Hey Tom....What did the hand say to the face? SLAP!

BAM
03-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Whatever makes you feel better, Tom.

Michael82
03-14-2006, 11:38 AM
:lmao:

Mudflap1
03-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Honestly? He's partially correct. When Mike Williams was healthy, he was definitely improving into a pretty darn good lineman. The problem was, he kept getting injured which kept setting him back. That, coupled with a huge salary made him not worth the headache.

Jon

Michael82
03-14-2006, 11:46 AM
He was getting into the big years of his contract. They were too high.
It was your dumbass fault, Tom. :mad:

Devin
03-14-2006, 11:58 AM
:roflmao:

don137
03-14-2006, 12:03 PM
that's why they couldn't run on short yardage situations and had to throw...

Patrick76777
03-14-2006, 12:20 PM
that's why they couldn't run on short yardage situations and had to throw...
I’d be willing to bet that Mike Williams has a nice career. Now that he has to earn his money, he’ll work a little bit harder. Plus I’m sure he’ll grow up a little and the expectations are lowered.

That being said, it never would have worked here because of how much he was making and the expectations. The guy needed a change.

And living in Buffalo, TD is not far off. The media, namely WGR and Jerry Sullivan, pick a whipping boy or 2 every year. They hated Mike Williams. TD’s problem was getting into a battle with WGR, a radio station with the ear of Buffalo sports fans 24 hours a day. They have the power to set the agenda and make us agree with it by pounding it into our brains every single day. TD let them get under his skin and instead of ignoring it or going on their shows to back them down, he choose to fight! He pulled all his coaches off the air and refused to do interviews with them.

He had no chance to win that battle. Not with GR on all the time and Sully getting an article everyday. It was a poor decision on his part and it’s one of the reasons he’s out of town.

GR and Sully have run a lot of players, coaches and GM’s out of town. And they’re not all bad.

TedMock
03-14-2006, 12:30 PM
Honestly? He's partially correct. When Mike Williams was healthy, he was definitely improving into a pretty darn good lineman. The problem was, he kept getting injured which kept setting him back. That, coupled with a huge salary made him not worth the headache.

Jon

I think you're right. I honestly believe that he's going to be a nice lineman for the Jags. Everybody seems to forget that not only was he coming into his own at the end of 2004, he was dominating as a run blocker. The only thing I questioned is his toughness. Lineman get minor injuries all the time, you have to play through many of them. I don't know for certain that any were minor, I'm only speculating. However, talentwise, he's got it.

dplus47
03-14-2006, 01:04 PM
people with jobs a lot more important than donahoe's make blaming others for their own failings a daily occurrence. people lap that up all the time. you can't blame donahoe for latching on to a winning strategy.

i agree with the "headache" comment. he was making too much money. doesn't mean he can't live up to his potential one day. it does look highly unlikely. bills' fans should be glad they are out from under his contract.

mysticsoto
03-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Isn't he a backup in the Jags team?

YardRat
03-14-2006, 01:18 PM
If he can stay healthy, I'm with those that say MW will end up with a nice career somewhere. Especially in a warmer climate.

Never bring a big guy from Texas to Buffalo...they just can't cut it in the weather.

AndreReed83
03-14-2006, 02:56 PM
TD is a delusional jackass, just like the last headcoach he ever hired is.

Michael82
03-14-2006, 03:17 PM
:rofl:

patmoran2006
03-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Thinking of Williams just made me think of something else..

Hutch is joining the VIkes.. and McKinnie will play next to him, the guy we should have drafted.

YOu can go ahead and pencil in BRyant McKinnie for the Pro Bowl right now

Mr B
03-14-2006, 03:42 PM

Amen brother! By defending Williams TD is really defending his own ego. Williams wasn't cut because of his contract or his injuries. Get real.

HEY TD, "save the postage" you "idiot fan!"

mchurchfie
03-14-2006, 03:54 PM
:rofl:

BillsFever21
03-14-2006, 03:59 PM
He has a good chance to turn it around. It's too bad for the team that drafted that happens with so many high draft picks.

They start their career of slow and their salary skyrockets to where they are not worth that kind of money. They end up getting released and grow into their own somewhere else.

tat2dmike77
03-14-2006, 04:08 PM
TD needs to put the crack pipe down and come back to reality.

You don't cut a guy that you drafted that high without him being an authentic bust. Sure at times MW looked like he might turn the corner but then a new all you can eat buffet restaurant would open in buffalo and MW would go and try to put themout business. MW never had the anger gene to get mad and throw people around like he was supposed to.

Along with that the money he was going to be gettting from the bills was truely ridonkulous. To pay a guy as much as he was going to be getting to sit on fat ass and not do anything would be bad business.

I knew he would get anthor chance everyplayer does in the NFL. Will he turn around in J-ville i dunno but he better get ready for camp. The heat is brutal down there. Hell when i was living in Savannah it was enough to make you wanna pass out. So how is his fat ass gonna handle it during TC and mini camps?

All this seems to be is TD trying to get his name out there for anthor possible employment oppurtunity with some other team. He wants people to think that he knows what he is talking about. Even though every bills fan knows better.

DynaPaul
03-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Apparently, Donahoe just can't let go of his mistakes. Williams isn't going to do any better down there than he did here. The guy is a bust, end of story.

justasportsfan
03-14-2006, 05:40 PM
After all these years and millions of $ later, he's a bust. Whether he moves on to become better is another question but he was a bust here in buffalo.
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/attachment.php?attachmentid=9960&d=1133273419

vicmantak
03-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Thinking of Williams just made me think of something else..

Hutch is joining the VIkes.. and McKinnie will play next to him, the guy we should have drafted.

YOu can go ahead and pencil in BRyant McKinnie for the Pro Bowl right nowInteresting... very interesting.
Just figure Bryant McKinnie in Buffalo. For sure, our discussions would have been focused on probowlers and not on promising players...
No way, I really envy Vikings, Eagles, Dolphins and specially Redskins news and board discussions...

BidsJr
03-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Just wanted to add this and it is a bit off topic, but............. I really hated Mike Mularkey, but when he kept calling MW's back injury a chest injury I ROFLMFAO every time he said it. MW had a "heart" injury keeping him out of the games meaning he had no heart. No idea if this is how MM meant it or not, but if he did it was a stroke of fing genius. (The only one he ever had except the throwback to Willis for a TD against the Seahawks 2 years ago.)

He had no heart lmao!!!