I am growing more impressed with this staff by the day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

I am growing more impressed with this staff by the day.

Marv has a clear plan and so does DJ. Best part is they are on the same page.

Marv is going to build up the DEFENSE first and formost. Can't score on us, then we don't have to score that much...yet.

He will address the OL. but the Defense is #1 and the OL is 1a. Look for OL in the draft. Before we have any kids *****ing about this process, there are guys available with the 8th pick in the 2nd round that will become 5 mill per year guys. The OL depth is VERY good esp with Modrak, Guy and McNally ranking them.

It is more than apperant Marv, DJ and Fairchild are going to run the 1 back set as the base formation. This is a GREAT thing. MUCH Harder to defend, many more options and Willis again to me is a one cut and go back. Get the FB out of his way. This plays into our strengths as a team.

If we can sign Pickett to go with Tripplett, and draft/ Sign a good LE then we have drastically improved this team. It will show immediately on the field. if we can add some to the OL and play to our strengths we will improve there also.

Look lets be realistic. This is a two offseason process. We CAN improve very much this offseason/ throughout the 06 season. That is all we can ask for at this point. Come next offseason when the guys have had a full year and now the final pieces needed are clear cut AND we have as much cap room as we do now...we will be ready in 07 to start competing with an eye on the AFCE title, the AFC Title and the Superbowl.

It is going to happen.
  • Kerr
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: I am growing more impressed with this staff by the day.

Good post Ice. Nobody should expect us to contend for a championship next season. Shelton will hardly be used, except for goal line and short yardage situations.

Hey Ice, I hope Marv looks into this kid ,Troy Bergeron.
    He could be this team's don beebe if drafted in the later rounds. Martz will have interest.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
      Sab and TD are insignificant
      • Sep 2002

Is it farfetched to hope for a playoff birth this year?
      www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• ICE74129
        Legendary Zoner
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ublinkwescore
        I am going to say yes. Even 9-7 may not get it. I want to see the following....

1) no blowouts. I can even live with a 14 point loss IF we were fighting and the things that cost us are fixable.

2) improvement. I can deal with an 8-8 season if we play hard, and really gain some momentum going into the end of the season (2-3 game winstreak)

3) the game plan looks solid.

If we can do those things then REALISTICALLY we are doing all we can be expected to do. Many teams trying to improve this offseason and many are. We are in a very big hole compared to them. Getting the right systems, people for those systems and COACHING are going to be the keys to beating other teams.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
          Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
          • Jul 2002

No, strange things happen every year. We sure won't get picked to go to the playoffs, but hey, it appears there will be a level of optimism since we're headed in the right direction.

With a sound defense and special teams, and if the breaks go our way, you just never know.

God give me style and give me grace
          God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• Dicknoze69
            Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
            I am going to say yes. Even 9-7 may not get it. I want to see the following....

1) no blowouts. I can even live with a 14 point loss IF we were fighting and the things that cost us are fixable.

2) improvement. I can deal with an 8-8 season if we play hard, and really gain some momentum going into the end of the season (2-3 game winstreak)

3) the game plan looks solid.

If we can do those things then REALISTICALLY we are doing all we can be expected to do. Many teams trying to improve this offseason and many are. We are in a very big hole compared to them. Getting the right systems, people for those systems and COACHING are going to be the keys to beating other teams.
            I always think of teams like the 2004 Chargers and Falcons, 2001 Pats, etc., and to borrow a phrase from Curt Schilling, "Hey, why not us?"

God give me style and give me grace
            God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• gr8slayer
              • Feb 2005

Yes.

Comment

• Marvelous
                • Feb 2004

I think it's very fafetched. We are not a .500 team now. With a change of staff and most likely no Moulds, and questionmarks everywhere, we aren't up to .500 yet IMO. I solid draft might make .500 not only a goal, but a destination
                GO BILLS!!! NE
                Magical Trevor

Comment

• Marvelous
                  • Feb 2004

I think it's very fafetched. We are not a .500 team now. With a change of staff and most likely no Moulds, and questionmarks everywhere, we aren't up to .500 yet IMO. I solid draft might make .500 not only a goal, but a destination.
                  GO BILLS!!! NE
                  Magical Trevor

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Not to be contentious, but...

Marv is going to build up the DEFENSE first and formost. Can't score on us, then we don't have to score that much...yet.
                    Two of the first three signings have been offense, a TE and a WR. If Pickett and Wells both sign, three of five are offense. How do you come to the conclusion they're taking a defense-first approach?

He will address the OL. but the Defense is #1 and the OL is 1a. Look for OL in the draft.
                    He HAS addressed the o-line with the addition of Royals...instant upgrade in the blocking department, a TE that can block like a lineman. Remember Metzelaars?? Also...if Wells does sign, that's another addition to the line, G and TE, and unless they go after a tackle, I would agree that LT will most likely be a priority in the draft.

Positions on defense that they have yet to reveal an interest in upgrading at this point...safety and DE.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ICE74129
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
                      Not to be contentious, but...

Two of the first three signings have been offense, a TE and a WR. If Pickett and Wells both sign, three of five are offense. How do you come to the conclusion they're taking a defense-first approach?

He HAS addressed the o-line with the addition of Royals...instant upgrade in the blocking department, a TE that can block like a lineman. Remember Metzelaars?? Also...if Wells does sign, that's another addition to the line, G and TE, and unless they go after a tackle, I would agree that LT will most likely be a priority in the draft.

Positions on defense that they have yet to reveal an interest in upgrading at this point...safety and DE.
                      Pickett is here right? We dont know how that will go but he is here so Marv is intent on shoring up DT. We dont' know what the draft brings or who else is going to be brought in.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                        Too sober for this...
                        • Apr 2004

Pickett is here right? We dont know how that will go but he is here so Marv is intent on shoring up DT. We dont' know what the draft brings or who else is going to be brought in.
                        I read that the Rams have made a strong offer for Pickett - so the Bills will likely have to offer him alot to get him. He will likely be the last FA we can get then...too bad. I was hoping we could also make a bid for Javon Walker...

Comment

• ICE74129
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                          I read that the Rams have made a strong offer for Pickett - so the Bills will likely have to offer him alot to get him. He will likely be the last FA we can get then...too bad. I was hoping we could also make a bid for Javon Walker...
                          Why? We have used what? 2.5 mill of a 14+ mill cap room? We can get him and still sign several others, draft and still be 6 mill under the cap.

Comment

• Marvelous
                            • Feb 2004

Yup, we still have plenty of wiggle room.. We need more lunchpale types rigth before the draft for depth.
                            GO BILLS!!! NE
                            Magical Trevor

Comment

• Mr B
                              • Sep 2002

Marv has a clear plan and so does DJ. Best part is they are on the same page.

He will address the OL. but the Defense is #1 and the OL is 1a. Look for OL in the draft. Before we have any kids *****ing about this process, there are guys available with the 8th pick in the 2nd round that will become 5 mill per year guys. The OL depth is VERY good esp with Modrak, Guy and McNally ranking them.

It is more than apperant Marv, DJ and Fairchild are going to run the 1 back set as the base formation. This is a GREAT thing. MUCH Harder to defend, many more options and Willis again to me is a one cut and go back. Get the FB out of his way. This plays into our strengths as a team.

If we can sign Pickett to go with Tripplett, and draft/ Sign a good LE then we have drastically improved this team. It will show immediately on the field. if we can add some to the OL and play to our strengths we will improve there also.

Look lets be realistic. This is a two offseason process. We CAN improve very much this offseason/ throughout the 06 season. That is all we can ask for at this point. Come next offseason when the guys have had a full year and now the final pieces needed are clear cut AND we have as much cap room as we do now...we will be ready in 07 to start competing with an eye on the AFCE title, the AFC Title and the Superbowl.

It is going to happen.
                              Good post, I agree.

Comment

Working...
                              X