What will it take for the Bills to get top FA's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

What will it take for the Bills to get top FA's?

First and formost Signing bonuses. That is how it's done. Everyone is freaking (including me) about how washington can do it with being so far over. Signing bonuses. This is where Ralph just doesn't have it. it is 1/2 he doesn't have the personal resources and 1/2 he is unwilling to pony up as much as other teams.

Now that aside, we need to show players Buffalo is a place where top FA's want to go. how do we do that? Sign some solid FA's, Draft well, play some good football. This is the other reason I say this is a two offseason retool.

Dick Jauron will be a huge factor in this. How he coaches, what the current players tell other players will be HUGE toward signing top FA's next year. Showing improvment on the field, running good systems will play a large role as well.

If marv can solidify DT and some of the Ol. Trade moulds, find his replacement then this sets the foundation for what I am talking about. There is only so much we can do in our current situation. Marv's hands are tied until we show some progress and I really think we can.

I know it is hard, but lets give the org a clean slate under marv. I feel he understands how to build this right, lets give him a chance.
  • vicmantak
    • Jun 2005

Re: What will it take for the Bills to get top FA's?

After Bledsoe, Villarrial, Milloy and probably Sam Adams fakes... it looks like it will take at least the Ralph Wilson era...

"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward"
    - Helen Keller

"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"

- Mary Pickford

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by vicmantak
      After Bledsoe, Villarrial, Milloy and probably Sam Adams fakes... it looks like it will take at least the Ralph Wilson era...
      LOL

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Ralph tried to level out the playing field for the lower revenue teams with this last CBA...and none of the other dumb-ass owners would listen.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ICE74129
          Legendary Zoner
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
          Ralph tried to level out the playing field for the lower revenue teams with this last CBA...and none of the other dumb-ass owners would listen.
          CBA doesnt' matter. Signing bonuses matter. Snider pays these out of HIS pocket, so does jones. If ralph sells stadium naming rights for 10 mill per there is one SB right there.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
            Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
            CBA doesnt' matter. Signing bonuses matter. Snider pays these out of HIS pocket, so does jones. If ralph sells stadium naming rights for 10 mill per there is one SB right there.
            The signing bonus is exactly why Ralph wanted more revenue sharing. Low revenue teams can't afford to pump out great sums of money at once in order to sign a player, but a team like Washington can.

If Ralph has less money from revenue sharing, it directly affects how much of a signing bonus we can give out.

God give me style and give me grace
            God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Dicknoze69
              The signing bonus is exactly why Ralph wanted more revenue sharing. Low revenue teams can't afford to pump out great sums of money at once in order to sign a player, but a team like Washington can.

If Ralph has less money from revenue sharing, it directly affects how much of a signing bonus we can give out.
              Thank You
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dicknoze69

Then Ralph needs to find other ways doesn't he? That is REALITY. That or a new owner with deeper pockets

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Then Ralph needs to find other ways doesn't he? That is REALITY. That or a new owner with deeper pockets
                  The NFL didn't become what it is today by bringing in new ownership with deeper pockets. It became the greatest professional team sport because of revenue sharing, and Ralph knows it because he helped build it.

The Dan Snyders, Jerry Jones, and Bob Krafts of the league are benefitting from the foresight, intelligence, and business acumen of men like Ralph Wilson, and the greedy bastards will eventually be the downfall of the league.

Back in the 60's, when the Oakland franchise was going bankrupt who bailed them out? Ralph Wilson, with cash out of his own pocket. Why? Because it benefitted the league, not just the Bills. Can you see one of these contemporary team owners doing the same? No way.

Snyder and Jones can't carry Wilson's smelly jockstrap when it comes to knowledge of professional football, or passion for the game or the league.

Greedy, self-serving, coattail riding, selfish son-of-a-*****es is all they are, and all they'll ever be. Bastards.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Ebenezer
                    Give me a minute...
                    • Jul 2002

$10 mil per year?? in Buffalo?? you're high...who is going to pay that???

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                      Give me a minute...
                      • Jul 2002

let them spend their new found money this year...the cap will catch up to them.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• ICE74129
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

The NFL didn't become what it is today by bringing in new ownership with deeper pockets. It became the greatest professional team sport because of revenue sharing, and Ralph knows it because he helped build it.

The Dan Snyders, Jerry Jones, and Bob Krafts of the league are benefitting from the foresight, intelligence, and business acumen of men like Ralph Wilson, and the greedy bastards will eventually be the downfall of the league.

Back in the 60's, when the Oakland franchise was going bankrupt who bailed them out? Ralph Wilson, with cash out of his own pocket. Why? Because it benefitted the league, not just the Bills. Can you see one of these contemporary team owners doing the same? No way.

Snyder and Jones can't carry Wilson's smelly jockstrap when it comes to knowledge of professional football, or passion for the game or the league.

Greedy, self-serving, coattail riding, selfish son-of-a-*****es is all they are, and all they'll ever be. Bastards.
                        Thats all well and good. Facts are RW now has to find new ways to get money or we dont' compete.

Comment

• vicmantak
                          • Jun 2005

If Mr. Ralph Wilson is sacrifying the big market only to satisfy fans in Buffalo, it could be a costly mistake. IMHO he should find a way to achieve both issues at the same time to not overexpose the possibility to finish this great organization.

Canada and Mexico are arguably two possibilities to achieve it. They are the big markets the NFL deeply want and both would be a solid chance to geometrically increase Bills fans wideworld.

The only problem I see as an overseas fan is: Do Bills fans would digest that it will be strictly necessary to sacrify two of the eight local games?

"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward"
                          - Helen Keller

"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"

- Mary Pickford

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                            • Jul 2005

No, we won't sacrifice two home games to win fans abroad. I don't want signing bonus money THAT bad.
                            Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Dicknoze69
                              Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
                              • Jul 2002

I agree with you. The problem is that these new-age owners have a huge amount of debt, either from new stadiums (NE), buying the franchise (Wash), or expansion fees (Hou). It takes a lot of foresight and unselfishness to forfeit some of your revenue when you have a lot of debt, and you feel that the low-revenue teams aren't doing all they can to generate money.

I know the richer teams weren't happy with Buffalo and Cincy because they feel they could get money from naming rights to the stadium.

It's not an easy situation, but it sure couldn't hurt if the Bills FO, not just Ralph, found ways to generate more revenue. I'm sure they realize this problem as well.

God give me style and give me grace
                              God put a smile upon my face

Comment

Working...
                              X