PDA

View Full Version : DT Pickett Trying to Agree to Contract With Bills

deathadder
03-15-2006, 05:37 AM
Thats what this article states:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/E692E99CC5A8F66A86257132002388B1?OpenDocument

In Buffalo, defensive tackle Ryan Pickett will wrap up his visit today and will meet with Bills officials to try to agree on a contract. The Rams have had a five-year, $16 million offer on the table for some time for Pickett.

Night Train
03-15-2006, 05:43 AM
Green Bay supposedly offered him 5 Mil a year. Plus reports stated he was trying to get a 10 Mil bonus.

If so, his agents initial thinking is 5 years - 35-40 Mil total. Rams aren't even close to the Green Bay offer.

If we want him, we must pay.

ICE74129
03-15-2006, 07:11 AM
He isn't getting 10 mill up front. I would say 6 mill on a 5 year 22 mill contract.

But it is good they feel he is trying to become a Bill.

ryjam282
03-15-2006, 07:21 AM
I like the news, I hope it works out. We need to get on the signing train. He would be a great addition.

I like the fact that he is trying to work it out, instead of leaving and saying, "Work it out with my agent"

ICE74129
03-15-2006, 07:42 AM
BTW...did anyone read the date on the article? It was YESTERDAY. Pickett is gone somewhere else (Giants?)

Forward_Lateral
03-15-2006, 07:44 AM
That's a crapload of money, is Pickett worth it? (I ask this honestly, because I dont' know if he is or not)

don137
03-15-2006, 07:44 AM
BTW...did anyone read the date on the article? It was YESTERDAY. Pickett is gone somewhere else (Giants?)

Yes, I noticed that plus it sounds more like the writers opinion than fact..

ghz in pittsburgh
03-15-2006, 07:50 AM
He's not. He's the best available on the market but I don't know if he's type that you build your line on. I read somewhere that he, along several other Rams defensive picks, were considered a semi 1st round bust before he salvaged a bit this season.

Now is he considred a rising player? I don't know. That question has to be answered by Levy's assistants.

ICE74129
03-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Agreed with GHZ. If Marv and our new DC and DL coach (Pickett's old DL coach) feels he is worth it then there will be a decent offer made. If not, then no

YardRat
03-15-2006, 08:10 AM
That's an awful lot of money. Then again, we just shelled out two mil per year for a blocking TE.

ICE74129
03-15-2006, 08:14 AM
That's an awful lot of money. Then again, we just shelled out two mil per year for a blocking TE.

It isn't 2 mill per, it's somewhat backloaded. I think his cap hit this year is 800K or something?

cablesabres68
03-15-2006, 09:07 AM
why are all you guys so pesamistic seriously have some faith in marv and co. i believe ralph is not gonna throw money around but he also wants a super bowl b4 he dies now come on give them a little slack

mybills
03-15-2006, 09:15 AM
That's a crapload of money, is Pickett worth it? (I ask this honestly, because I dont' know if he is or not)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5476

ICE74129
03-15-2006, 09:24 AM
For a DT to put up that many tackles is impressive.

Meathead
03-15-2006, 09:32 AM
stl wasnt exactly a run stopping team you know. so why do they have a relatively low ball offer on the table? makes you wonder

clumping platelets
03-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Triplett got $5.5 million sb and nearly $4 million/season from us already....

Pickett is worth more than that....I say...$7 million sb and $4.5 million/season

gr8slayer
03-15-2006, 09:47 AM
I hope we sign him so we dont have to waste a pick on a DT at #8

patmoran2006
03-15-2006, 09:49 AM

Yes. He is.
YOu want to build a strong DL, this is your main building block.. He led the NFL in tackles for a DT last year and with him it frees up guys for Trippleet and Schobel.

He is one player who is worth the money. Plus, he still has his best years ahead of him.

ICE74129
03-15-2006, 09:50 AM

It't not a wasted pick if we go DT. Run, stop the run football 101. It is better if we can address this in FA? Sure. but DT isn't a wasted pick at #8.

ICE74129
03-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Triplett got $5.5 million sb and nearly $4 million/season from us already....

Pickett is worth more than that....I say...$7 million sb and $4.5 million/season

I was close! I said 6 mill on a 5 year 22 mill contract

patmoran2006
03-15-2006, 09:54 AM

Well said. He would solidify the DT spot.

Buffalo then is allowed to trade down if Hawk or Huff (if they even want him) are off the board..

I'm usually against trading out of the top ten.. If you score on your first pick you have yourself a franchise player.. But by moving down and picking up 1-2 more first day picks you can fill more holes.

I'm really upset over the ROyal signing because I truly think Davis is a franchise tight end that only 2-3 teams in the NFL can boast to having.. But its already over and done with now... I think he would have changed the entire complextion on how a defense has to try and cover the Bills. And I think JP and Willis would have both been better off with him on the team.

I just cant see them throwing Everett under the bus when he hasnt even played yet..

Tatonka
03-15-2006, 09:56 AM
He's not. He's the best available on the market but I don't know if he's type that you build your line on. I read somewhere that he, along several other Rams defensive picks, were considered a semi 1st round bust before he salvaged a bit this season.

Now is he considred a rising player? I don't know. That question has to be answered by Levy's assistants.

i dont know how pickett could be considered a "semi-bust" for a DT.. he led all DTs in tackles last season, and was near the top the prior two season. Lewis, the other 1st round DT that was taken much higher is the guy that took the heat for being a bust, or at least only inconsistenly living up to his draft status.

patmoran has stated this a few times, and although i dont hold this reports word as gospel, lenny P picked pickett as his best FA pick up potentially and raved about how he was coming into his own, ect. ect..

personally, i perfer pickett over tripplet.. pickett is more active, and at least he could stay on the field.. tripplet was used in a rotation, but i am sorry.. if you are that good, they find a way to keep you out there.. period.

we need to spend cash on this kid. him and wells (obviously not as much on wells). the reason this team will live or die (any team) is the line.. if the o and d lines are not addressed with studs, we will suck. no matter what.

i would love to us sign pickett, and then draft ngata or bunkley.

justasportsfan
03-15-2006, 09:57 AM
It't not a wasted pick if we go DT. Run, stop the run football 101. It is better if we can address this in FA? Sure. but DT isn't a wasted pick at #8.
It would be a waste but we could sure use those picks for other positions plus we wouldn't have to wait for the DT to develop. A vet DT would make a quick impact. Besides, I also agree with those who think that #8 is too high for a DT especially the ones on this years draft who some people question. There are players that we can get with that 8 that people say is a sure thing when it comes to BPA.

gr8slayer
03-15-2006, 10:02 AM
DT is a wasted pick when our OL is as bad as it is.

Tatonka
03-15-2006, 10:04 AM
OL at 8, other than brick is not smart either though.

ICE74129
03-15-2006, 10:05 AM
DT is a wasted pick when our OL is as bad as it is. Starters on the OL (and guys that will end up making 5 mill per in a couple years) can be hand in the 2nd round.

New England started a 2nd round Center and went to the superbowl. For awhile they had 5th round types on the line and making superbowls.

Look TD is GONE! With modrak, marv and Guy doing the scouting now I feel we can find lower round STARTERS. The OL WILL Be addressed.

McGahee420
03-15-2006, 10:05 AM
I was listening to a Radio Show in Rochester, NY. The channel is WCMF, they said that the Bills and Pickett are very close to signing a deal, and that it could be signed sometime today. They didn't give any specifics, lets hope that this is true. It would be nice to have the D-line in place and we can start concentrating more on the O-line.

ICE74129
03-15-2006, 10:06 AM
I was listening to a Radio Show in Rochester, NY. The channel is WCMF, they said that the Bills and Pickett are very close to signing a deal, and that it could be signed sometime today. They didn't give any specifics, lets hope that this is true. It would be nice to have the D-line in place and we can start concentrating more on the O-line.

Although it is speculation, thanks for reporting what they said and here is to hoping it works out.

patmoran2006
03-15-2006, 10:08 AM
The best OL prospects in this draft post-Brick are not even close to being worthy of a number eight pick...

Mangold, Justice and Joseph are the next best three linemen.. Not the tackles Justice, McNiel and Scott.. and none of them will go into 2nd half of round one.

Carlton Bailey
03-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Sign him to a 5-year deal worth 27 mill with a 7 mill signing bonus. That should get him. I'm a big Pickett fan.

gr8slayer
03-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Sign him to a 5-year deal worth 27 mill with a 7 mill signing bonus. That should get him. I'm a big Pickett fan.
See that is more than I personally would want to give up for him.

ublinkwescore
03-15-2006, 11:24 AM

Or we could trade down a few spots, grab Tamba Hali, in addition to an extra 2nd rounder, and then address the OL while we've got the makings of possibly the best DL in the league, backed up by Spikes, Fletcher, Crowell, McGee, and Clements - Our D would have no trouble getting off the field, and that in my opinion should make us pretty damn close to the front runners in the AFC East.

ublinkwescore
03-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Pending of course whether or not we give JP some time in the backfield to operate - I still say JP will be a great QB, and he has shown exactly that WHEN HE'S HAD TIME.

DraftBoy
03-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Come on Levy get this done!!

Then Micheal Huff becomes your next Buffalo Bill

*barring a trade down*

ublinkwescore
03-15-2006, 11:41 AM
No Micheal Huff - grab Chris Hope in FA, and draft Hali.

Tatonka
03-15-2006, 12:26 PM
See that is more than I personally would want to give up for him.

now this is just my personal opinion, and the opinion of more than a few guys in the industry, is that pickett has his best years ahead of him.. which is saying alot, because just from a tackles standpoint last year, he lead the nfl. he is obviously very active, and is a presence to be reconned with.

based on his size (330), and the way he played (granted, i do not claim to be an expert that watched ever rams game, but i watched my fair share because i had steven jackson and holt in fantasy football) , high tackle totals, ect... he reminds me very much of a young pat williams..

so that in mind, let me as you and anyone else this question.. would you pay a 25 year old pat williams 27 million, over 5 years, including a 7 million dollar signing bonus?

I know I would, in a heartbeat.. i would pay 30 million/10 million sb, actually... for pat williams/warren sapp type DT with unlimited potential just coming into his own, meaning he should be good to go for the entire 5 year deal.

now this is ALL assuming that the bills coaches/talent evaluators, feel that pickett truley has that kind of potential.

after thinking about the robert royal signing, at first i was really pissed... but in retrospect.. if the TEAM feels that he is the BEST blocking TE in the league, like marv said they did, then FINE!! pay him 10 million..

teams live and die by the players they choose to invest their money in.. every team does.. and if they are wrong, like we were with mike williams, then we will suffer.. but i would rather take those chances, then sit back and sign left overs and has beens just becaues they used to be good and come for a little or even a lot cheaper.

you have to bet big to win big.

Michael82
03-15-2006, 12:27 PM
SWEET! That would be ****ing awesome!!! :dance:

It does help that he has family in Rochester, NY too...the home of the Buffalo Bills Training Camp. :D

The Natrix
03-15-2006, 12:35 PM
:pray:

This would be key

I wouldn't even mind slightly overpaying. Buffalo is still trying to recover from the loss of Pat Williams. Now wth Big Sam's departure, two DTs are needed, and I don't trust a rookie to fill the void.

ICE74129
03-15-2006, 12:35 PM
SWEET! That would be ****ing awesome!!! :dance:

It does help that he has family in Rochester, NY too...the home of the Buffalo Bills Training Camp. :D

It sure is sweet! I can use an extra 1K in zonebucks :roflmao:

Devin
03-15-2006, 12:56 PM
He should try a little harder and get it done already.