PDA

View Full Version : LOST IN TRANSITION

deathadder
03-15-2006, 05:47 AM
Jeff Burris wants everyone who heard him on 97 Rock on the final pregame show of the Buffalo Bills season to know he's doing fine.
The sideline reporter stunned listeners on the first day of 2006 by revealing he had been battling depression for more than two years.

After telling play-by-play man John Murphy that he had some things he wanted to say, Burris told the radio audience that he understood what Indianapolis coach Tony Dungy's late son, James, had experienced because he was battling depression, had lost his family and had considered suicide.

The revelation surprised Bills officials, who were concerned for Burris' welfare and believed it was a cry for help. They were unaware that he has been treated by a doctor on and off for about two years.

"Am I where I need to be right now? No, not yet," Burris said in a telephone interview from his home in Indianapolis. "But I will eventually get there. I am close to recovery and where I need to be."

He says working on the Bills radio broadcasts was a big help in getting him out of depression.

"It was a huge step forward, four or five steps forward," Burris said. "It gave me a sense of direction again. When you walk away from football, a lot of guys lose a sense of direction. All my life I dealt with a set regimen. This has given me another opportunity to be on that time frame."

The suicide of Dungy's son and the announced retirement of New York Jets receiver Wayne Chrebet, who, like Burris, experienced a series of concussions and didn't want to walk away from football, inspired Burris to discuss his difficulties since his 2004 retirement.

"I felt it was time to speak of the trials and tribulations that I've experienced for the last three years," he said.

Ken Ruettgers, who played for the Green Bay Packers for 12 years and is the founder and executive director of GamesOver.org, a nonprofit Web site dedicated to helping players struggling with transition, said Burris' radio address was a good sign for his recovery.

"The fact he is making his challenges public is a big step because he's moving beyond denial," Ruettgers said.

Ruettgers, who experienced depression after he retired in 1996, notes that Burris' post-retirement story is common. He said that many players experience denial, depression and addictive behavior and have relationship problems after retirement.

"It is very familiar," said Ruettgers, who is 43. "Every playerat some level the challenges of transition. You've lost your job, your identity and your position. Their identity is so locked in to seeing themselves as a football player. It is common for a player in transition to consider suicide. The suicide rate for a retired NFL player is six times greater than the national average. Half of all the divorces that happen to NFL players happen in the first year of transition."

He plans to let Burris know that he is "facing typical and normal challenges" for a retired player.

"Most people don't realize and appreciate what professional athletes go through," Burris said. "Unfortunately, we don't get the help we deserve. The perception is you get paid all this money and you're able to afford this and that. Yes, it is true to an extent. But there are a lot of things that go outside of that that people don't realize."

Burris retired after banging heads with receiver David Givens in a non-contact drill during a New England minicamp in June 2004. He had had numerous concussions, and decided against risking another.

He said his problems began soon after when he started drinking to pass time. Around the time of training camp, he separated from his wife, Lisa, a lawyer in Indianapolis. They have two young children, and Burris says he is in contact with them daily.

READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE HERE:

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20060314/1030259.asp

Pride
03-15-2006, 06:55 AM
Awwww...

Sorry, I dont feel bad. Dude has more money than most people would know what to do with. See how depressed he would be if he had to get up at 6 AM 5 days a week to go do a meaningless job for little to no pay like half of america!

Suck it up Pussy!

YardRat
03-15-2006, 07:21 AM
Awwww...

Sorry, I dont feel bad. Dude has more money than most people would know what to do with. See how depressed he would be if he had to get up at 6 AM 5 days a week to go do a meaningless job for little to no pay like half of america!

Suck it up Pussy!

I have a friend that suffers from depression (and have had three classmates from high school commit suicide) and I have to say that's the most asinine post I have ever seen on any message board...ever.

Money means nothing when you've lost your family, your job, the sense of who you are or why you do what you do. When everything you've worked you're entire life for gets taken away, a fat checkbook can't buy them back. Depression is a serious ailment that not only profoundly affects those that suffer from it, but others that surround the afflicted.

Just getting out of bed, into the shower, dressed, and out the front door to continue to deal with everyday life without slitting your wrists or sticking a 45 in your mouth is a major accomplishment. The recovery process is slow, and painful, and affects every aspect of your being-emotionally, mentally, and physically.

Unless you've ever had to deal with the effects of depression, or until you ever do (which for your sake, I hope you don't), why don't you just shut the **** up, be thankful that you still are able to maintain the parts of your life that you hold so dearly, and let the man work through the healing process.

Oh, yeah...and if you're not just blowing false macho bravado up eveybodies ass and you truly believe what you wrote inyour post...You're a dick.

Pride
03-15-2006, 07:24 AM
I disagree... My mother is supposedly "depressed", To me, depression is simply the act of being too lazy to change something about your life that you don't like.

Sure, there are extreme cases, which I have sympathy for, but 90% of the diagnosed depression cases are simply people being too lazy to change something.

As for suicide... thats the EASY way out... I call them quitters.

Stewie
03-15-2006, 07:26 AM
I have a friend that suffers from depression (and have had three classmates from high school commit suicide) and I have to say that's the most asinine post I have ever seen on any message board...ever.

Money means nothing when you've lost your family, your job, the sense of who you are or why you do what you do. When everything you've worked you're entire life for gets taken away, a fat checkbook can't buy them back. Depression is a serious ailment that not only profoundly affects those that suffer from it, but others that surround the afflicted.

Just getting out of bed, into the shower, dressed, and out the front door to continue to deal with everyday life without slitting your wrists or sticking a 45 in your mouth is a major accomplishment. The recovery process is slow, and painful, and affects every aspect of your being-emotionally, mentally, and physically.

Unless you've ever had to deal with the effects of depression, or until you ever do (which for your sake, I hope you don't), why don't you just shut the **** up, be thankful that you still are able to maintain the parts of your life that you hold so dearly, and let the man work through the healing process.

Oh, yeah...and if you're not just blowing false macho bravado up eveybodies ass and you truly believe what you wrote inyour post...You're a dick.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah .. Burris is a pussy, and it sounds like someone else is too.

Give me the money, I'll show him what unhappy is...

YardRat
03-15-2006, 07:35 AM
I disagree... My mother is supposedly "depressed", To me, depression is simply the act of being too lazy to change something about your life that you don't like.

Sure, there are extreme cases, which I have sympathy for, but 90% of the diagnosed depression cases are simply people being too lazy to change something.

As for suicide... thats the EASY way out... I call them quitters.

You have no clue what depression is, then. I will agree with you, however, that it is an over-used diagnosis, and a certain percentage of those being treated for it aren't clinically depressed, just unhappy. Big difference.

How do you know Burris' situation isn't one of the extreme cases you refer to? How do you know that he isn't actually suffering from the ailment, rather than merely 'lazy' or 'unhappy'? Why hop all over the guy and call him a pussy when you don't know the whole story, the truth?

As for the suicide issue, I can't entirely disagree with you...it may be an easy way out...it may not be. They're not necessarily quitters...some believe there actions are the best they can do for not just themselves, but for others that are being affected by them.

Sometimes suicide is more of selfless action than a selfish one.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
03-15-2006, 07:35 AM
The problem that burris and other athelets face is that all their lives they have been coddled and treated special, and when they leave sports they no longer have the adoration of so many people who only valued them for what they could mooch off them.

Now that he has no "fame" to glom onto, people who only wanted to hang with celebrities no longer want to hang with them.... they find out that being a prig to people all their lives actually has some consequences... I'm not saying burrins was a prig, but alot of athelets are.

Now take TO... please.... You think he will be able to make a living after sports? Hes a jerk and noone will want him around after sports, and he is such an egomaniac that he will crave some kind of attention.... you think he will try to get that attention by serving poor children in Calcuta or do you think he is more likly to hang out at Studioi 54 snorting cocain and getting busted for slapping up a barmaid? Any thing to get attention.

I feel for bad for anyone struggleing to find their way. But a good dose of reality for athelets in their formative years would go a long way to stemming these types of situations.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
03-15-2006, 07:40 AM
As for the suicide issue, I can't entirely disagree with you...it may be an easy way out...it may not be. They're not necessarily quitters...some believe there actions are the best they can do for not just themselves, but for others that are being affected by them.

Sometimes suicide is more of selfless action than a selfish one.

yardrat, I'll respectfully take issue here.... while the person may THINK that their action of suicide is the best that they can offer, their mental capacity to make cogent decision when they reach this point would be seriously in questions. Suicide can never be rationally considerd a positive option fo any party in the situation (I have a realtive who took this action, so I feel I can speak to this issue)

again, I disagree with you RESPECTFULLY

KT

ryjam282
03-15-2006, 07:40 AM
I have to agree to some extent with Burris and Pride on this one. Being a former pro athlete (played pro baseball for 4 years) I have to say it is a tough situation. Thankfully, I was still pretty young and had my whole life ahead of me. My whole life revolved around baseball, or sports for that matter. I always had a league to play in. When I went to HS and college, I had set schedule where I knew where I had to be and when. I loved playing. When I got to the pros it was the best thing in my life at the time. I slept in, showed up at the field, played a game, collected a paycheck, and went home and did it all over again the next day. When I got the call from my manager, I knew I was getting released. I was hurt but my pride set in and I just sucked it up and took it in stride. When I got home, I didn't have a job or anything like that so for the 1st month, I did was I was used too. I slept till about noon and went to the gym and then hit in the cages. Not wanting to come to grips that my dream was pretty much over. I can easily see how Jeff Burris or someone else could get stuck in that rut and get so far into it that they can't pull themselves out. Especially, if he also lost his family during this point. Luckily, for me my girlfriend and I were engaged and we were buying a house and having a baby. That was a wakeup call that I better get my act together or I would be in trouble. So, I got a job and and now, here I am. Sure, working for a living pails in comparison to hitting sliders the opposite way but I couldn't do it consistenly enough to stick around and it is hard to comes to grips with that. But, I did. Thank god, hopefully, Jeff will do the same.

Ryan

YardRat
03-15-2006, 07:54 AM
yardrat, I'll respectfully take issue here.... while the person may THINK that their action of suicide is the best that they can offer, their mental capacity to make cogent decision when they reach this point would be seriously in questions. Suicide can never be rationally considerd a positive option fo any party in the situation (I have a realtive who took this action, so I feel I can speak to this issue)

again, I disagree with you RESPECTFULLY

KT

I agree with you...the issue isn't whether or not suicide is a positive action, but rather the person contemplating it actually believes that it is. That's part of the problem with depression...rational thinking is out the window.

YardRat
03-15-2006, 08:00 AM
Blah blah blah blah blah blah .. Burris is a pussy, and it sounds like someone else is too.

Give me the money, I'll show him what unhappy is...

If you can't discuss the issue like an adult, you're going back into the play-pen, ****ty diaper and all.

If having a sense of empathy for a fellow human being suffering from a serious affliction or compassion for others who have to deal with depression and suicide are qualifications for being a pussy, then so be it.

justasportsfan
03-15-2006, 08:19 AM

As for suicide... thats the EASY way out... I call them quitters.Goes to show you money isn't everything to everyone. Doesn't buy you happiness and contentment.