X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Tatonka's Draft Preview

There has and always will be a lot of back and forth about what fans want and don't want their teams to do in the first round of the draft.. This time of year all we can do is speculate, and then wait for a FA signing and retool our whole thought process on the upcoming draft because of teams filling needs prior to the draft. This is the kind of stuff that most of us fans love and the reason a board like the Billszone is so popular.

Every year, I put together some kind of article or write up going over the draft. Last year I did a scenario article where I went over 3-4 picks that I thought would suit us in the first three rounds. This year, to change it up a bit, I will touch base just on the guys up top in the first round and my opinion, how I see them fitting with the team, and who would benefit the team the most immediately. Basic best player available vs. need stuff.

I am not going to list every guy in the top 20, because several of them, I think we would all, or most all of us, agree that they are not currently a need at all, like RBs and QBs. I can already hearing some saying "We need a QB!". I am not getting into that whole debate here. I am simply stating that we have a first round pick at qb on our roster who at least needs a chance and a proven veteran. Those two will complete and another guy will be brought in to "complete" but will more than likely be depth.

These names are in no particular order. This is not a ranking of how I feel about them or who I see as plan a, plan b, ect..

And before I get into this, I will say this upfront. All of the guys on this list are amazing players and any of them would be good additions to this team. There are no players on this list that I think will be duds in the NFL. Truely, the only one that I really just don't like at the top of this draft is Vince Young. Another day for that arguement.

1. Brick Ferguson

Well, I think everyone would agree that if the guy is there, it would be almost impossible to pass on him. I don’t know that I was as impressed with him as I am now, until I just saw him absolutely dominate the best seniors in this years draft class. Brick basically single handedly cost a few DE's millions of dollars after making them look like buffoons dragging themselves up from the ground time and time again. He is highly intelligent and well spoken, physically dominating, added 12 lbs to get to the perfect/ideal weight. his technique (hands and footwork) are pretty damn close to flawless. He has been coached by a former NFL head coach, and it shows. The guy is an absolute stud. The likelihood may be slim that he is there for us, but if the price is right, I won’t fault the bills for moving up a few spots to get this kid.

Gandy was serviceable last season, and well worth the money we paid him. I thought he played above most expectations. We also have Peters, who is probably capable of making the move to LT, but if you get a shot at brick, you leave peters where he has shown he is a baller, at RT, and brick is a starter from Day 1, and now Gandy is great depth.

2. Mario Williams

Mario Williams is probably the best DE prospect to come out of college since Julius Peppers. The guy has the perfect attributes of a Left defensive end that has to line up over normally the largest and most physical tackles on the team on the right side. He was great at the combine and showed everyone what they thought they would see. he has speed, moves, attitude, and a love for the game. Overall he is the total package.. that being said, I can't say that I am 100% sold on him. While his overall numbers this season were good (14.5 sacks), the way he got them was not quite as impressive. he did have 3 games that accounted for more than half of those sacks. he disappeared at times and was not a factor in more than a few games against top competition. I am not implying that he takes plays off, but that maybe he is not quite as good as people want to believe. He had a very good DE on the other side of him, in Lawson. It can be debated who made who better and who got the double teams all the time and who didn’t. In the end, I don’t know that you can say that Lawson was just a product of Williams’s success. Sometimes when you see the measurable, and the overall numbers, you don't see some details, like how they were acquired. None the less, he is the best DE available, and if he fell to us, and we selected him, I would not be unhappy. I would not trade up for him though.

Pass rush is important, but we have one DE , Schobel, that is good for 10-15 sacks and Kelsay on the other side, who I don’t believe deserves quite as much critisism as he has received. I thought he and Denny were decent, but far from spectacular. Rarely though do you see two top tier DEs on a team. Phil Hanson was never a big force at rushing the passer.. but he got consistent pressure and was a worker bee. I see Kelsay being that guy. if the DTs in the middle of the field are getting pressure to, along with Schobel, I think Kelsay is more than serviceable.

3. AJ Hawk

This guy has caused quite a bit of discussion. I think everyone would agree that the guy is as good a LB prospect as any in recent memory. If you ever watched an Ohio State game, it was impossible to miss Hawk. He showed up huge in every game. He is consistent, smart, fast as hell, strong, and can play any position across the board at LB. I will say now, when next years Defensive Rookie of the Year is announced, my odds on favorite is AJ Hawk. He will start from day one and LB is one of the easiest places for rookies to step in at. I love the way the guy plays, his passion for the game. He is the type of player that is the perfect fit for buffalo, the team and the city. He is hard nosed, not flashy, and tough. He may not make it to pick 8, but if he does, I can say that I will be slightly disappointed if we don’t grab him.

The debate has been that he is not a need. We currently have Spikes, Fletcher, and Posey, with Crowell newly resigned and fresh off a highly impressive season filling in for Spikes. I think people need to look past what we have right at this moment though and really think about this. Spikes is coming back from one of the worst injuries that a speed demon like him could sustain. There is a VERY REAL possibility that he will NEVER be the same player he was. People quickly forget Sam Cowart. He was as dominating a LB as the Bills ever had prior to his injury, and has been a shell of himself since. I am not saying that will happen to TKO, but does anyone really want to take that chance? what are the consequences if he is not the same or is reinjured? His loss was the biggest factor in the defenses performance last year. Posey may not even be on the opening day roster, due to the money we could save and his overall average ness since he has been here. Then there is Fletcher. Some think he is really a top MLB in this league, others see him as average. Regardless, he has a high cap figure and this is probably his last year in buffalo at that. he is on the wrong side of thirty and his replacement is currently Josh Stamer. I think that if you really look at the LB situation, you can see that if AJ Hawk is the pick, it is definitely not a wasted pick. Sure, we may have other more pressing needs, but then again, if TKO is not himself, Posey is gone, or Fletcher, who has been amazingly healthy, suffers any kind of injury, we are right from being in good shape to dire straights.

Mike Huff

The guy has great speed, good size, and really his most valuable asset, he is probably the best CB and Safety in the draft. That said, unless the bills really believe he will be a probowl caliber starter at corner back in the NFL, I cant see drafting him. The SS, which is the bills open spot currently, in a cover 2 defense does not require an all world athlete. If you look at the history of cover 2 strong safeties, you will see a list of names that you would have never heard of, had they not been thrown in that position. Now, I am not saying that having a dominant player there on top of the ease of transition that seems to come with the cover 2 SS spot, wouldn’t be great. But I feel that there are more than 3 other safeties in this draft that can be had in later rounds, most notably, Bing, Simpson, and Bullocks, that could do that job as good if not better because of more experience at the position that Huff has.

What is critical with Huff is that if the bills feel he is the best cornerback in the draft, then it makes a lot more sense. After this year, Nate could be on the market again, if the bills are not able to lock him up long term. Who is his replacement? We don’t know enough about Eric King or Jabari Greer to say if they are the answer, although both of them have shown that they can play in the opportunities that they have had. I would be included to pass on Huff simply for the fact that there are other true CBs in the draft that can be had, and we have two young guys on our roster currently that may be the next success story like Terrance McGee. Tom Donahoe didn’t do a lot of things well, but one thing he and his staff did know how to do was to pick corners.

Coming Soon -
    Ngata, Bunkley, Vernon Davis, and a guys that could be trade down picks.

If there are any guys specifically you want me to go over, feel free to let me know.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Re: Tatonka's Draft Preview

Tonk- now that we have some money spent in FAcy, we might have a clearer picture on who we draft.

If you can pu together a polished, professional looking piece on Bills draft needs - we can see about getting it up on our Yahoo/Fox sports page.

But it has to be of the best quality. You did some great draft stuff in the past- now we have astage for it to go on.

BTW- this goes for any other aspiring writers out there.

Comment

• Dozerdog
      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

Tonk- now that we have some money spent in FAcy, we might have a clearer picture on who we draft.

If you can pu together a polished, professional looking piece on Bills draft needs - we can see about getting it up on our Yahoo/Fox sports page.

But it has to be of the best quality. You did some great draft stuff in the past- now we have astage for it to go on.

BTW- this goes for any other aspiring writers out there.

Comment

• kgun12
        • Jul 2002

T, Nice job can't wait to read the rest of the article!
        Retired Air Traffic Controller
        USAF VETERAN
        DAV

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

Dozer.. i appreciate it, but i am fine with just being a message board dork if it requires a whole lot more than what i am doing.. what exactly were you thinking as far as what you would want me to do to get it ready to put it in those other spots?

thanks Kgun.
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• ryjam282
            Offical Billszone Starting QB
            • Mar 2003

Good stuff as usual T. Nice job.

Ryan Withey
            Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• vicmantak
              • Jun 2005

Great stuff Tatonka!

Time is telling us that Bills are really commited on Huff and your comments on the secondary situation are unvaluable. If the cover 2 system brings priceless flexibility to this draft (to not make SS a top priority)... Bills have a very solid opportunity to immediately help other key-spots and optimize at the same time the only thing Donahoe excelled: DBs.

If I'm not wrong, this "new" cover 2 system automatically benefits Troy Vincent's cover skills and it seems that Rashaad Baker, Jim Leonhard and inclusive Jabari Greer are more than enough to improve this position.

"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward"
              - Helen Keller

"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"

- Mary Pickford

Comment

• Tatonka
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by vicmantak
                Great stuff Tatonka!

Time is telling us that Bills are really commited on Huff and your comments on the secondary situation are unvaluable.

i am not really following you with that one. could you please rephrase?

Comment

• vicmantak
                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Tatonka
                  i am not really following you with that one. could you please rephrase?
                  In other words, there are some speculation that Bills will draft Michael Huff and your comments on secondary are good enough evidences to kill this horrible idea.

"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward"
                  - Helen Keller

"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"

- Mary Pickford

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

ah.. gotcha...

thanks!

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

1- drafting Michael Huff is anything but a horrible idea. Cover two benefits guys who can run and cover, and nobody in the draft and not too many in NFL can do that better than Huff.. HE makes plays all over the field and not only can he cover, he unloads and brings the noise to the ball; and there's a reason he's being labeled as the next Ronnie Lott; He's a damn good player. I would LOVE to have Huff.

Assuming I am wrong and Buffalo does not draft a QB in round one (and I really hope the big three are all gone for two reasons 1) so we dont have the choice and 2)it makes a non QB slide down more..

We are either taking Huff or Ngata.. Both would be an asset to our defense of course.. I'd be THRILLED to have Huff on this team.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

Working...
                      X