PDA

View Full Version : Denver could open door for Bills stockpile of picks

patmoran2006
03-16-2006, 08:00 AM
We could easily get a second ,first round pick in this draft.

Denver doesn't want a pair of first rounders.. I'd wager we could get Denver's first rounder (22) for Buffalo's first rounder next year (2006).

Denver has already said they are low on cap room and want picks for 2007... and I'm sure that Denver would gamble the pick would be better than 22 for them next year.

22 would be an excellent spot for either Santonio Holmes or Chad Jackson to replace Moulds. One of those cats would still be on the board.

Naturally, we'd lose our first rounder next year and it would probably end up being higher than 22. But if my math is correct, our GM is post-80 and if your going young, this is the year to do it.. by 2007, whomever we took would have a year of NFL experience.

In fact, the more I think about it.. UNless you think Huff or Ngata is a franchise player you trade down from eight.. STockpile as many day one picks as you can get in 2006..

We currently have four first day picks right now. If we did this deal with Denver and traded down from 8, we could end up with six first day guys.

By 2007, we could have a really nice young core of players.
Here's my "dream" 2006 draft scenario

Trades (2)
* Give up our first next year for Denver's 22nd this year.
* Trade down from 8 with Atlanta (who would wet themselves to have Huff play with Hall) and get their first and second round picks.

Realistic Draft Day Picks
1-15 (from Atlanta) Tamba Hali, DE Penn State
1-22 (from Denver) Chad Jackson, WR (Holmes if Jackson goes first)
2-42 Gabe Watson, DT Michigan (and yes, he will be there at this spot)
2-47 (from Atlanta)- Daniel Bullocks or Pat Watkins, S
3-70 The best guard on the board (probably Spitz or Boothe)
3-73 Best LB available (replacement for Posey, who doesnt fit this D and also insurance for Spikes)

Of course, you HAVE to sign a tackle through FA , either Fabini or Runyan and Gandy is kept as depth.

To me, this has the makings of a strong football team, and BOTH those trades are realistic if Marv desired so.

Jersey1031
03-16-2006, 08:06 AM
3-73 Best LB available (replacement for Posey, who doesnt fit this D and also insurance for Spikes)

Of course, you HAVE to sign a tackle through FA , either Fabini or Runyan and Gandy is kept as depth.

To me, this has the makings of a strong football team, and BOTH those trades are realistic if Marv desired so.

Good thinking, we have more to address than just a couple of holes...

TacklingDummy
03-16-2006, 08:07 AM

Denver doesn't want a pair of first rounders.. I'd wager we could get Denver's first rounder (22) for Buffalo's first rounder next year (2006).

The only problem with this is Buffalo could be a crappy team next year and get a top 5 pick. So trading our #1 next year that could be a high first round pick for Dnvers low first round pick wouldn't be smart.

I've never liked the idea of trading future 1st round picks. Didn't work out the last 2 times the Bills tried it.

We may need our high first round pick next year to grab a QB.

SquishDaFish
03-16-2006, 08:22 AM
Keep talking out your butt like normal Dummy

TacklingDummy
03-16-2006, 08:30 AM
Keep talking out your butt like normal Dummy

And this added to the thread? Why even bother saying it?

clumping platelets
03-16-2006, 08:31 AM
It would be a mistake to give up our 1st in 07 for a late #1 this year IMO......

don137
03-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Unless something drastic happens Buffalo will be in position for a top pick next year. I don't think it would be smart for them to make that trade to swap picks.

ICE74129
03-16-2006, 08:35 AM
I am against trading future picks esp the 1st round pick.

mysticsoto
03-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Yeah, I don't know if I like this idea either. Trading away our 1st pick for Denver's 22nd this year means we think we are really going to do well next year and be in the playoffs. With all this rookie talent that needs to be incorporated into this team, and establishing a new identity - which we haven't had for a long time...I think it might take 2 years before we reach the playoffs...

Which is why I'm for taking top available prospects this year - I don't feel like we are going to be a playoff team and think that if we take top available prospect this year, and try to fill some holes with younger players, then next year, we can finish closing the holes, take the top available players in the 1st day also (which now gives us 2 years of elite players...this assumes we draft high again next year) and gives time for this year's rookies to begin to acclimate and come into their own. It also gives JP time to develop and Preston also. In 2 years, we could become a strong team.

But, in my opinion, if we try to do it all at once, we will at best, be a mediocre team and with lower draft pick status next year...

justasportsfan
03-16-2006, 09:02 AM
We are in a rebuilding mode and still have question marks about our coaching staff. I'm not so sure we'll be picking lower than 22 next year.

TacklingDummy
03-16-2006, 09:03 AM
I'd trade our 2nd round pick next year for Denver's first round pick this year.

If the Bills do stink next year the second round pick could be around the 33-40th pick in the draft.

A future #1, that could be a high draft pick 3-10 for the 22nd pick in the draft?

Or a could be high second round draft pick next year for Denver's 22nd pick this year?

Bert102176
03-16-2006, 09:15 AM
I would give our second this year, and say a 6th rounder this year to get that 2nd 1st rounder this year

ryjam282
03-16-2006, 09:19 AM
Good luck getting anyone to do that one Bert. We would have to pony up more then that.

tampabay25690
03-16-2006, 09:24 AM

Denver has already said they are low on cap room and want picks for 2007... and I'm sure that Denver would gamble the pick would be better than 22 for them next year.

22 would be an excellent spot for either Santonio Holmes or Chad Jackson to replace Moulds. One of those cats would still be on the board.

Naturally, we'd lose our first rounder next year and it would probably end up being higher than 22. But if my math is correct, our GM is post-80 and if your going young, this is the year to do it.. by 2007, whomever we took would have a year of NFL experience.

In fact, the more I think about it.. UNless you think Huff or Ngata is a franchise player you trade down from eight.. STockpile as many day one picks as you can get in 2006..

We currently have four first day picks right now. If we did this deal with Denver and traded down from 8, we could end up with six first day guys.

Trades (2)
* Trade down from 8 with Atlanta (who would wet themselves to have Huff play with Hall) and get their first and second round picks.

No way the Bills will probably have a top 15 pick again next year....No way do we take 22nd this year

ddaryl
03-16-2006, 10:32 AM
It would be a mistake to give up our 1st in 07 for a late #1 this year IMO......

It would be a mistake if we only got 1 pick in 2007. From what I understand is Denver wants to get rid of their 2006 1st rd picks... BOTH OF THEM in exchange for multiple 2007 picks. Unless I understood the news wrong.

There is nobody in this league willing to give Denver 2 1st rd picks in the future for 2 low rd 2006 picks ... NOBODY. SO why not offer our 1st in 2007 and our 2nd in 2007.

We would then have 3 1st rd picks this year.... NOW why not trade down from number 8. Swap our #8 with someone and gain back a pick or 2 in 2007 for moving back depending how far we do move back. If its 10 or more positions we can recoup our 2007 2st rd pick.

THEN why not dangle EM as trade bait for a 2nd or 3rd in 2007.

We'd recoup some or most of our 2007 draft AND WE WOULD HAVE 3 - 1st rd picks in 2006, 1 - 2nd rd pick, and 2 - 3rd rd picks this year.

6 day 1 picks in total and 3 in the top 29 !!!! To me this is the only intelligent thing forthe Bills do given our complete team dissaray.

With the state of the Bills and our needs we don't really have the luxuy of waiting around for the 2007 and 2008 drafts IMO. We need to do what Dallas did in the 90's and parlay some trades into a 2006 draft pick bonanza and jump start the rebuild

patmoran2006
03-16-2006, 11:00 AM
I understand your points. Here is my only logic on this:

This is a team that's trying to win sooner than later.. Why not have a pair of first rounders this year, that by next year have a year of experience in the NFL?

I have no problem with what ya'll are saying, as long as you admit are you expecting the Bills to suck really bad this year.. Which if thats the case stop pushing for guys like Fabini< grady jackson and runyan to come in.. Guys who will be too old by the time we get better.

Mudflap1
03-16-2006, 01:20 PM
I would do this deal. We've been doing the "next year" thing for 6 years running. I would trade for the two Denver 1st round picks, trade down from #8, have three 1st round picks plus maybe another 2nd or 3rd (or whatever) and just stockpile young, high-graded talent, particularly on the offensive and defensive lines (with perhaps a good WR taken to replace Moulds). Throw them all out there for experience this coming season, and we'll start to be getting to the point about getting somewhere.

Moulds has no trade value. Don't bring it up anymore. Everyone in the universe knows we are going to cut him. Once teams know he is getting cut, they will no longer offer anything to trade for him. There are only a handful of teams that would probably make a run for him anyway. Forget about trading Moulds. Either make him happy and keep him, or cut him. Frankly, I would just as soon cut him at this point and go out and get some talent in FA.

Jon

FlyingDutchman
03-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Id like to see us possibly trade our 2, 3rd round picks for an early second round pick if any team is willing to do so. We could pick up a decent DT or OL early second round. We would still have the same amount of picks, but we would be able to select from a better pool of talent in the second round versus 3rd round.

mysticsoto
03-16-2006, 05:34 PM
Id like to see us possibly trade our 2, 3rd round picks for an early second round pick if any team is willing to do so. We could pick up a decent DT or OL early second round. We would still have the same amount of picks, but we would be able to select from a better pool of talent in the second round versus 3rd round.

I'd rather keep what we have. We will still likely be able to get a very decent Safety in the 3rd round as well as a semi-decent WR.

1st and 2nd pick should be for the O & Dline!!!

jpdex12
03-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Unless something drastic happens Buffalo will be in position for a top pick next year. I don't think it would be smart for them to make that trade to swap picks.

yeah, that top pick may end up being Quinn if JP sucks one more year!

ddaryl
03-17-2006, 01:55 AM
Moulds has no trade value. Don't bring it up anymore. Everyone in the universe knows we are going to cut him. Once teams know he is getting cut, they will no longer offer anything to trade for him. There are only a handful of teams that would probably make a run for him anyway. Forget about trading Moulds. Either make him happy and keep him, or cut him. Frankly, I would just as soon cut him at this point and go out and get some talent in FA.

Jon

You know we don't have to cut Moulds, and we might not. IMO we will try and trade him for a pick or we will expect him to play for us in 2006. We have no replacement for Moulds, and we won't find his replacement in FA or the draft this year unless we have luxury picks from a trade scenario that gives us extra 1st day picks.

Moulds is still a solid WR and a team who doesn't want the TO headache or a lesser player like Meshawn might be interested in parting with a 3rd rd 2007 pick. It might require EM to agree to a restrucutre but I don't believe EM has as little value as you think.

I also don't believe this would be an easy thing to do but I do know that Buffalo should be very interested in Denvers 2 1st rd picks.

Look what a Draft Bonanza did for Dallas when they trade Herschel Walker. Buffalo should get pretty creative and see if they can't parlay something into more picks in this years draft. Maybe it isn't with Moulds but we should be interested IMO

X-Era
03-17-2006, 07:07 AM

Trades (2)

So, I dont mind the trade down. A team thats got young top prospects at the skill positions and a few others may not need a 8 pick. QB, WR, RB, CB are all in good shape.

But if we moved to 15 and 22, Id like to see us spend BOTH picks on D and O lineman. Guys like Whitworth, McNeil, John Scott, Winston, Orien Harris, Claude Wroten will all be there. Now, if we feel a top lineman wont be there at 8 in round 2 we could get players like Mangold, Charles Spencer, Davin Joseph.

I like the thought, but I would have taken different players at 15 and 22 I guess.

Billsrock4life
03-17-2006, 03:43 PM
I am against trading future picks esp the 1st round pick.

same with me unless we r getting sum guarenteed talent