PDA

View Full Version : What do you expect in FA?

ghz in pittsburgh
03-16-2006, 08:58 AM
I don't know if the new CBA will alter the landscape but I tend to side with the long standing theory: you win when you draft well in NFL.

Look at the teams that win consistently in NFL: NE, Phily, Pittsburgh, Indy. They draft very well the last few years. The stars in those teams - Brady on offense, Seymour on defense; McNabb on offense; Roethlisberger on offense and Palomalu on defense, Manning on offense and Freeny on defense - are all drafted by their own team. You can bet they will never let them become free agents.

In other words, guys that you build your team on will never be available in FA.

Now look at our beloved Bills. Look at our offense and defense, do you see a guy or guys we should build our team on?

When Levy came to the Bills in the 80s, he already had Kelly and Bruce Smith. This time, he needs to find them, in the draft, before talking about returning the Bills back to the glory days.

I'll admit that Donahoe and Co. tried. I view the Nate Clements pick being the closest to a big time impact guy who unfortunately regressed last season. They thought they might've had THE guy in McGahee but this past season made me believe he's good but not great.

In retrospect, Donahoe was more successful in filling holes with FA than his draft, to the point he might've believed that he can build the team through FA. To me, that is his ultimate downfall. Draft is the bloodline. Throwing away draft picks like he did is bleeding yourself, literally.

I'm not going to judging the GM Levy based on what he does in FA. Having a good draft, especially drafting impact guys, is what this team needs badly. That'll be his ultimate test. And please no more 3 for 1 (like a first, 2nd, a 5th round picks for one first round pick) kind of deals.