X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gunzlingr
    • Jul 2002

McGinest gets $12M from Browns

The No. 55 looked familiar, but the color did not. In place of Patriots silver and blue, Willie McGinest held orange and brown.
    “Can you see it?” McGinest asked as he stood for photographers in Cleveland. “I know, it’s a little odd.”
    McGinest leaves the Pats
    McGinest signs with the Browns
    After 12 years and three Super Bowl titles, McGinest’s Patriots career officially ended yesterday when he signed a three-year, $12 million contract with the Browns that includes $6 million in guaranteed money.
    Released a week earlier by a Patriots team that made no effort to retain him, McGinest bears no ill will toward the only professional franchise he has ever known.
    “I had a great run in New England,” McGinest said. “We did some really good things. I’m not bitter at all, but at the end of the day, they did release me into free agency. I’m excited about my options. This is a different chapter in my life.”
    In New England, it felt like an era had ended. The Kraft family bought the team 12 years ago and made McGinest its first draft pick. Owner Robert Kraft didn’t become a billionaire by bowing to emotion, but McGinest’s departure stung.
    “This is a very sad day for me,” Kraft said. “To see Willie joining another team after he was the first draft choice when our family bought the team, I have a very special place for him. He represented us so well. He’s someone we’re going to miss very much.”
    McGinest targeted the Browns at the start of free agency, thanks to his ties with former Patriots defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel, now Cleveland’s head coach, and a belief that the Browns are on the rise. They were his first and only visit.
    The Patriots released him before the start of free agency, even though they could have held him until late this week, as a sign of respect for 12 years that included two Pro Bowls. But the early release also signaled a willingness to bid him adieu.
    Asked how he felt about departing an organization with roughly $20 million in salary cap space, McGinest shrugged. [continue]

You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: McGinest gets $12M from Browns

I'm sorry but that is high for a guy his age.

Comment

• Gunzlingr
      • Jul 2002

I am pissed Ralph didn't sign him!
      You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• ICE74129
        Legendary Zoner
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Gunzlingr
        I am pissed Ralph didn't sign him!
        We have 4 starting quality LBs on this roster already. and 4 mill per is too much.

Comment

• Gunzlingr
          • Jul 2002

I am going to say that about everybody that signs elsewhere. I want to fit in.

Comment

• ICE74129
            Legendary Zoner
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Gunzlingr
            I am going to say that about everybody that signs elsewhere. I want to fit in.
            GOTCHA! I am down with that.

Damn Marv, WTF is he doing? We are screwed since we didnt' sign Willie McGinest. He could have helped this team become a superbowl winner immediately damn it!

Comment

Working...
            X