PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS!!! SPACE SHUTTLE Columbia MISSING!!!

Bufftp
02-01-2003, 08:45 AM
The space shuttle Columbia carrying 7 crew members has been lost during re-entry. NASA lost both radio and radar contact with the shuttle and have declared a contigency. Wfaa television station of Dallas has video tape of the shuttle passing over Texas, showing what appears to be multiple parts of the shuttle with multiple smoke trails. Te crew included the first Isreali astronaught and the security was extremley high for this mission.

Michael82
02-01-2003, 08:45 AM
NASA declared an emergency after losing communication with space shuttle Columbia as the ship soared over Texas several minutes before its expected landing time Saturday morning.

FEARING THE WORST, NASA ordered flight controllers to pull out emergency procedures and ordered them to retain all their records. Columbia was aiming for a touch down at 9:16 a.m.
It was at an altitude of 200,700 feet, traveling at 12,500 mph when mission control lost contact. There was no further communication and no further tracking data. Reporters at the landing strip were ordered away 7 minutes after the scheduled touchdown with still no sign of the shuttle. In 42 years of human space flight, NASA has never lost a space crew during landing or the ride back to orbit.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/857733.asp?0cv=CA00

venis2k1
02-01-2003, 09:11 AM
:yankee: :mounty: :yankee:

JayWood
02-01-2003, 09:15 AM
What a terrible story, have been watching it unfold throughout the morning. My thoughts and prayers are with all those who have been effected!

Cntrygal
02-01-2003, 10:02 AM
Gary Hunziker in Plano said he saw the shuttle flying overhead. "I could see two bright objects flying off each side of it," he told The Associated Press. "I just assumed they were chase jets."

"I was getting read to go out and I heard a big bang and the windows shook in the house," Ferolito told The AP. "I was getting ready to go out and I heard a big bang and the windows shook in the house. I thought it was a sonic boom."

more... (http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGAWM02PNBD.html)

I used to live a few hours from here... just across the Oklahoma boarder.

shelby
02-01-2003, 10:25 AM
Oh my God...that is so sad.......

Billz_fan
02-01-2003, 10:32 AM
:(

Commander Rick Husband, US
Pilot William McCool, US
Kalpana Chawla, US
Laurel Clark, US
Ilan Ramon, Israel
David Brown, US
Michael Anderson, US

clumping platelets
02-01-2003, 11:13 AM
:patriot:

:sadwalk:

shelby
02-01-2003, 11:31 AM
Makes me realize how truly insignificant my own trivial problems are.

:pray:

Bufftp
02-01-2003, 12:30 PM
my prayers go out for all of the familys.

northernbillfan
02-01-2003, 02:12 PM
I was watching NASA TV last night/early this morning waiting for the landing. I always watch the Sapce Shuttle missions.

I fell asleep while waiting for the shuttle to land. NASA always has an on board camera showing you the landing from the pilots point of view. The last thing I remeber seeing, is the shuttle entering Earths orbit.

MissBuffalo
02-01-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by shelby
Makes me realize how truly insignificant my own trivial problems are.

You got that right.

My prayers are with their families. :pray:

JefftheBillsfan
02-01-2003, 05:04 PM
I know I will be saying an extra prayer tonight...

Jaydog57
02-02-2003, 12:34 AM
Hey, I posted this on Finheaven and figured it was the best post I could come up with in light of the situation and thought I would leave it here. Hope everybody on here is ok with this...

From the earth to the stars and all the way to heaven
Flew a group to be remembered as the mighty Columbia 7
They paved the way for others to go
Courage and bravery they surely did show

Their journey in space will always be known
To be taught to our children and written in stone
They shouldn't be remembered with anguish and pain
Don't think for a moment that they died in vain

They were part of a group of brave pioneers
Who showed with their efforts that they had no fear
So when you look to the heavens and you see some bright stars
If it's a constellation of seven, then that's who THEY are

----Jaydog

R.I.P. Fly on thunderbirds,
Thunderbirds fly.....
Fly on, spread your wings to the sky...Rock On

:cool:

Dozerdog
02-02-2003, 12:56 AM
:up:

BADTHINGSMAN
02-02-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Billz_fan
:(

Commander Rick Husband, US
Pilot William McCool, US
Kalpana Chawla, US
Laurel Clark, US
Ilan Ramon, Israel
David Brown, US
Michael Anderson, US

:pray: ours prayers are with you:pray:

BADTHINGSMAN
02-02-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Jaydog57
Hey, I posted this on Finheaven and figured it was the best post I could come up with in light of the situation and thought I would leave it here. Hope everybody on here is ok with this...

From the earth to the stars and all the way to heaven
Flew a group to be remembered as the mighty Columbia 7
They paved the way for others to go
Courage and bravery they surely did show

Their journey in space will always be known
To be taught to our children and written in stone
They shouldn't be remembered with anguish and pain
Don't think for a moment that they died in vain

They were part of a group of brave pioneers
Who showed with their efforts that they had no fear
So when you look to the heavens and you see some bright stars
If it's a constellation of seven, then that's who THEY are

----Jaydog

R.I.P. Fly on thunderbirds,
Thunderbirds fly.....
Fly on, spread your wings to the sky...Rock On

:cool:

Thats an awesome quote jaydog. I wanna ask. The town I live in ,in August the volunteer Fire Company im a member of is celebrating there 75th anniversary. And we are making a small book for our fire company. We have quotes and poems from Sept.11th. And I saw your poem. and is truely an amazing poem. Was wondering if you would allow me the permission to put it in the book in memory of these brave astronauts. If you decide no that is fine. Thanks for your time jaydog.

Jaydog57
02-02-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by silent_one

Thats an awesome quote jaydog. I wanna ask. The town I live in ,in August the volunteer Fire Company im a member of is celebrating there 75th anniversary. And we are making a small book for our fire company. We have quotes and poems from Sept.11th. And I saw your poem. and is truely an amazing poem. Was wondering if you would allow me the permission to put it in the book in memory of these brave astronauts. If you decide no that is fine. Thanks for your time jaydog. Wow, thanks. I'd be honored to have it available for others to read. By all means, feel free to put it in your book.:cool:

justasportsfan
02-02-2003, 12:28 PM
Jaydog are you sure you're a finfan?

Jaydog57
02-02-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Jaydog are you sure you're a finfan? Yeah, somebody on here (they know who they are:up: )changed my custom title for me. They can change it back whenever they want ;)

Cntrygal
02-02-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Jaydog are you sure you're a finfan?

He's definately a closet bills fan. He's working thru "issues". :D

Cntrygal
02-02-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Jaydog57
Yeah, somebody on here (they know who they are:up: )changed my custom title for me. They can change it back whenever they want ;)

I don't know what you're talking about. :squish:

:biggrin:

Jaydog57
02-02-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Cntrygal

I don't know what you're talking about. :squish:

:biggrin: Riiiiiight.....:)