PDA

View Full Version : matt bowen signs

DBrown77
03-16-2006, 05:27 PM
www.buffalobills.com (http://www.buffalobills.com)

gr8slayer
03-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Wow, this great off-season just got better :rolleyes:

ICE74129
03-16-2006, 05:30 PM
So now we have 4 guys playing for one safety spot. Not bad.

Philagape
03-16-2006, 05:31 PM
If I try out, it'll be five :D

ICE74129
03-16-2006, 05:32 PM
I expect the others to sign as well. No word at all from Fabini so far

gr8slayer
03-16-2006, 05:35 PM
Well its good to know that Marv knows how to find camp fodder.

DBrown77
03-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Well at least he had a decent 2003 season. :fishing: Looks like he is a special teams player too

Kerr
03-16-2006, 05:39 PM
From the scouting report, he's an adequate starter. Good tackler, won't make mistakes, but also won't be a playmaker or hitting presence on the field. I wouldn't say it was such a bad signing.

Jersey1031
03-16-2006, 05:43 PM
...another redskin

L.A. Playa
03-16-2006, 05:45 PM
cheap, cheap, cheap cheap

ICE74129
03-16-2006, 05:48 PM
cheap, cheap, cheap cheap

He is good depth. Wire and Baker are going to fight it out for the safety spot opposite Vincent according to the Coaches.

L.A. Playa
03-16-2006, 05:49 PM
im just messing around but I bet he came cheap, and iam all for developing our own players

Bill Brasky
03-16-2006, 05:51 PM
He is good depth. Wire and Baker are going to fight it out for the safety spot opposite Vincent according to the Coaches.

Holy crap, watch out Randy Moss. Those guys will SHUT.YOU.DOWN!

ICE74129
03-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Holy crap, watch out Randy Moss. Those guys will SHUT.YOU.DOWN!

Like Nate Clements did? You know the guy you and 90% of this board *****ed and whined about keeping? Didn't this guy get lit up by the worthless San Diego WR's?

Bill Brasky
03-16-2006, 05:57 PM
You are forgetting the 218 yards Chambers got against him. Or was it 222, I forget.

Bmax
03-16-2006, 05:58 PM
good signing for back up and starter until top safety arrives which should come via the draft 2nd, 3rd or 4th round pick...Fabini is the big signing that needs to happen.. if healthy he would upgrade our line ....

Bmax

bigbub2352
03-16-2006, 05:59 PM
good on special teams can do better than him for a starter though

gr8slayer
03-16-2006, 05:59 PM
You are forgetting the 218 yards Chambers got against him. Or was it 222, I forget.
What does it matter? Dont you know that you are always wrong when arguing with her.

Bmax
03-16-2006, 06:01 PM
wire should be cut.....special teamer only .. how will it take for this guy to develope...

Bmax

lunatic_bills_fan
03-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Man, I hope Baker steps up, If I have to watch Wire at safety again, I will be in need of a triple bypass by week 4

Bmax
03-16-2006, 06:09 PM
2 years 2 million....cheap......

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2371483

Bmax

Dicknoze69
03-16-2006, 06:10 PM
Wire won't win the safety competition. My dog is better in coverage than he is.

Dicknoze69
03-16-2006, 06:10 PM

Bmax

Good signing then.

Philagape
03-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Blue light special in safeties, aisle 4

Michael82
03-16-2006, 06:19 PM
:ill:

Michael82
03-16-2006, 06:19 PM

Bmax
too much for another bum. :ill:

L.A. Playa
03-16-2006, 06:22 PM
200 k over league min Mikey not a big deal

patmoran2006
03-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Yes.. He's good on special teams.

And coming to Buffalo he's going to get plenty of practice at it; between the punt team and the kick return team that is.

Coy Wire is a candidate to start?? LMAO.. Coy Wire in coverage makes Laywer Milloy look like Deon Sanders

Michael82
03-16-2006, 06:26 PM
I hope not or we are ****ed. There are still other safeties out there. Marv better call some of them for a visit....Joseph Jefferson, Tank Williams. ANY of them are better than Wire at SS. :ill: :scared:

Kerr
03-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Maybe because Tank Williams isn't the right fit for the defense?? 46D is what Tank played in.

!Papacrunk!
03-16-2006, 06:30 PM
238 yards, 15 receptions, one touchdown, one fumble
:couch:

patmoran2006
03-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Bowens.. Wire.. and Leonard are ALL JOKES outside of being special teams contributors.. at BESt, they are DIME BACKS, and thats at best.

I've heard of RB by committee.. But now white-boy safety by committee?

Now Baker, is a quality backup safety who can step in and play if someone goes down. its looking like a LOCK now that S will be addresed early in the draft.. Give him another full year and I think he can take over for Vincent in '07

Nighthawk
03-16-2006, 06:53 PM

Ice, you seem to have some good football knowledge, please tell me you're joking that you think it is good to have Wire in the mix for the starting spot? He is horrible!

Dicknoze69
03-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Ice, you seem to have some good football knowledge, please tell me you're joking that you think it is good to have Wire in the mix for the starting spot? He is horrible!

That's what the coaches said. Of course, any knowledgeable fan knows Wire sucks in coverage. Unless we sign or draft someone, it'll be Baker. And I'm okay with that.

Bmax
03-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Hey pat .. white men can cover.( SEE JOHN LYNCH)..Just give the guys a shot..EXCEPT FOR WIRE HE STINKS...oh in this d maybe jim lenonard gets cut.....

BMAX

kgun12
03-16-2006, 08:44 PM
200 k over league min Mikey not a big deal

True, but it keeps hacking away at money that could be better sent. Take his million, put it with the 2 million we paid Royals, along with their bonuses, add that to whatever we offered, pickett, we have our other DT or LT in Fabini. Just a thought.

TigerJ
03-16-2006, 09:52 PM
As of now, I'd expect Baker and Vincent to be Buffalo's starters at safety. Baker has looked like he belongs on the field any time he has played. If an upgrade becomes available, I'm all for it, but I'm not too worried about the safety situation. There are other areas of the team that need more attention.

jimbohastle51
03-16-2006, 10:10 PM
look adam vinitiari is still out there! he hasnt signed with anyone! hes visiting with the packers but i think we could get him! he would be the perfect QB for out team! LOL!!!LOL!!!LOL!!! the bad thing is he could probably compete with our 2 QBs LOL!!!

AndreReed83
03-16-2006, 10:21 PM
I like this signing actually...

LifetimeBillsFan
03-16-2006, 10:37 PM
I hate to break up the "pity party" about this signing, but, if you read the ESPN article about this signing, you will note why the Bills signed Bowen to play in their Cover 2 defensive scheme:

"Bowen is considered one of the faster safeties in football. The Bills signed him for his speed and ability to fly down the field."

Bowen was considered an up-and-coming young safety before he was injured and, then, Gregg Williams took over as DC in Washington and began installing his 46 defensive scheme. With his speed, he is a great fit for a Cover 2 defense. And, he will compete for a starting safety job. (Coy Wire is likely the odd man out, especially since Bowen can replace him as a Special Teams demon).

Forget about the Bills signing a big-hitting, "in-the-box" safety, like a Tank Williams, etc., to play in this defense--it's not going to happen! The primary responsibility of safeties in the Cover 2 is pass coverage--which puts the emphasis on speed, not blitzing or hitting ability. If a Cover 2 safety is able to deliver a good hit in coverage, like John Lynch, so much the better, but the emphasis is on speed and deep coverage skills not on the ability to hit in run support, etc. The kind of safeties that everyone keeps mentioning here are not Cover 2 safeties (although some of the better ones could play it).

With Bowen, Baker, Vincent and, perhaps, Leonard (who has shown deep coverage skills in college), the Bills do not necessarily have to draft a safety in the first couple of rounds of this draft--they can still go with who they have on board or pick one in Round 3 or later, especially because this is such a deep draft at the safety position.

Bowens lack of numbers the last year and a half are due to the fact that he was injured during the 2004 season and was not as good a fit Williams' 46 defense as Clark (and now Archuleta)--they are not due to the fact that he can't play or is not a good fit in the Cover 2 scheme that the Bills are going to be employing.

Kerr
03-16-2006, 10:48 PM
I hate to break up the "pity party" about this signing, but, if you read the ESPN article about this signing, you will note why the Bills signed Bowen to play in their Cover 2 defensive scheme:

"Bowen is considered one of the faster safeties in football. The Bills signed him for his speed and ability to fly down the field."

Bowen was considered an up-and-coming young safety before he was injured and, then, Gregg Williams took over as DC in Washington and began installing his 46 defensive scheme. With his speed, he is a great fit for a Cover 2 defense. And, he will compete for a starting safety job. (Coy Wire is likely the odd man out, especially since Bowen can replace him as a Special Teams demon).

Forget about the Bills signing a big-hitting, "in-the-box" safety, like a Tank Williams, etc., to play in this defense--it's not going to happen! The primary responsibility of safeties in the Cover 2 is pass coverage--which puts the emphasis on speed, not blitzing or hitting ability. If a Cover 2 safety is able to deliver a good hit in coverage, like John Lynch, so much the better, but the emphasis is on speed and deep coverage skills not on the ability to hit in run support, etc. The kind of safeties that everyone keeps mentioning here are not Cover 2 safeties (although some of the better ones could play it).

With Bowen, Baker, Vincent and, perhaps, Leonard (who has shown deep coverage skills in college), the Bills do not necessarily have to draft a safety in the first couple of rounds of this draft--they can still go with who they have on board or pick one in Round 3 or later, especially because this is such a deep draft at the safety position.

Bowens lack of numbers the last year and a half are due to the fact that he was injured during the 2004 season and was not as good a fit Williams' 46 defense as Clark (and now Archuleta)--they are not due to the fact that he can't play or is not a good fit in the Cover 2 scheme that the Bills are going to be employing.

Flippin' good post.

vicmantak
03-16-2006, 10:53 PM
I like this signing. It seems that he is a former QB converted to a speedy SS.

Extremely gifted athlete with impressive size, raw power and blazing speed...Former quarterback who has made a smooth adjustment to the secondary...aggressive hitter who throws his body around willingly...Finds the ball and reacts quickly in run support...Decisive reading moves, turning his hips smoothly in deep coverage...One of the fastest players in the Iowa program... Recently timed at 4.4 in the 40-yard dash.
http://www.jsonline.com/packer/rev/apr00/defensivebacks-mattbowen.asp

tampabay25690
03-16-2006, 11:47 PM

I was at the game and I looked like a Bobble head doll with all the catches up and down the field........E Moulds was sitting next to me the 2nd half of that game becasue he was mad......

Michael82
03-17-2006, 12:49 AM

Thanks for helping me feel better. Good post. :bf1:

TedMock
03-17-2006, 06:59 AM

While Bowen is nothing to get too excited about at this point in time, he is head and shoulders above Coy Wire. Bowen is a decent safety whereas Wire is flat out horrible. Both guys can hit, and play special teams fairly well. I have to believe that it's Bowen and Baker duking it out now. Plus Bowen is very fast, and has a good number of starts under his belt. He started all of 2003, and half of 2004 before he was injured. I don't think he fits into the Gregg Williams scheme too well because of his style. I assure everybody that this guy will bring the wood though.

TigerJ
03-17-2006, 07:54 AM
It's true that some years ago the Bills released Keion Carpenter because he didn't fit the scheme the Bills were going to try and run. He went on to have a decent career with Atlanta.

mysticsoto
03-17-2006, 08:14 AM
While Bowen is nothing to get too excited about at this point in time, he is head and shoulders above Coy Wire. Bowen is a decent safety whereas Wire is flat out horrible. Both guys can hit, and play special teams fairly well. I have to believe that it's Bowen and Baker duking it out now. Plus Bowen is very fast, and has a good number of starts under his belt. He started all of 2003, and half of 2004 before he was injured. I don't think he fits into the Gregg Williams scheme too well because of his style. I assure everybody that this guy will bring the wood though.

Yep. I like this signing. Last year I was always worried that if something happened to Milloy, we would have Coy Wire starting (and he did come out on plays here and there)...I was always nervous when he did. I like that we got someone who might even challenge to start, but if he doesn't, he's better backup material AND we don't lose anything on STs now if we get rid of Coy!