PDA

View Full Version : Bills and Sabres - who's #1?

Bill Brasky
03-16-2006, 06:34 PM
We all know the Bills are the #1 sports team in town... but if the Sabres pull off the unthinkable and win the cup this year, do you think Buffalo becomes a Sabres town where the Bills take the backseat?

justasportsfan
03-16-2006, 06:38 PM
If you think about it, the Sabres are a team that is where it's at because of youth.

Kinda like what the Bills are doing don't you think? I know Dick is no Bellichick and we don't have a Brady but they too build via the draft and not expensive Bentley type of players. Let's give Jauron a shot before we panic.

Bill Brasky
03-16-2006, 06:41 PM
It's not panic, it's a serious question.

You've got almost every sabres game selling out, while the bills couldn't keep people in the seats for a nationally televised night game at home.

The more you think about it, the more this whole thing reminds me of what happened to the Browns.

The indians got really good, while the Browns sucked for several years. People got sick of it and started going to Indians games and essentially drove the Browns out of town. It wasn't the only factor, but it was a pretty big reason for the Browns leaving.

With our current owner situation and play on the field, not to mention the economics of Buffalo, I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happen as it did in Cleveland.

The_Philster
03-16-2006, 06:44 PM
The Browns were still selling out..as have the Bills.
Also, the Browns did have an 11-5 record their last season before Modell swiped the team away from Cleveland

Bill Brasky
03-16-2006, 06:49 PM
yeah but they couldn't get to the Super Bowl. Indians got the World Series and almost won. Really the main reason they left was because of the whole stadium ordeal. But Cleveland became and Indians town in the early 90's. Ask anybody. It contributed to them leaving. I could see the same happening here. The Sabres are winning, the Bills have sucked forever, excluding the early 90's, and they're not going to improve anytime soon. With the exception of the previous few seasons, the Sabres are always in the playoffs.

The_Philster
03-16-2006, 06:52 PM
yeah but they couldn't get to the Super Bowl. Indians got the World Series and almost won.still counters the
while the Browns sucked for several yearsstatement. Besides, who knows if maybe the Browns could've kept in the playoffs..maybe won a Super Bowl had Modell not pulled that BS...after all, the Ravens did win one

DMBcrew36
03-16-2006, 06:53 PM
I don't really think the Bills will ever take a backseat. The Sabres will just take the forefront for a little while.

The Sabres will ALWAYS be #1 to me, though.

YardRat
03-16-2006, 06:56 PM
As long as the NFL is in Buffalo, the Bills will be #1...football has more general fan appeal than hockey.

Personally, I like them both equally :D

Bill Brasky
03-16-2006, 06:57 PM
still counters the statement. Besides, who knows if maybe the Browns could've kept in the playoffs..maybe won a Super Bowl had Modell not pulled that BS...after all, the Ravens did win one

I would have done the same thing Modell did. Every team in town got a new stadium, the city got the Rock n Roll hall of fame.

The Browns were an institution in that town and still are, but the city treated them like crap and let them basically play in what was equivalent to the old Rockpile. You can't continue to operate in a stadium like that and expect to stay above the red line.

And BTW Phil, you were wrong....

Cleveland W/L
1990: 3-13
1991: 6-10
1992: 7-9
1993: 7-9
1994: 11-5
1995: 5-11

Dicknoze69
03-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Lots of sports fans don't like hockey. So no, it won't ever be a Sabres town.