• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

A response to our Salary Cap Situation

A response regarding the salary cap..

I got into a debate with Phil and Ice earlier regarding the Bills lack of spending for impact players on the cap. Well, I shouldn't say Phil and Ice, I should say Phil.. Ice aka "Moulds for Javon Walker" and "Lets bring in Harrington" is in his own world. I really need to just ignore that hamerhead.

But I suggested we had at LEAST $8 million (with after research we have more than $8 mill to spend, AFTER signing Larry Tripplet and the "triplet" of scrubs we just signed (Bowen, Davis and Royal) to spend on FREE AGENTS alone.. Not draft money, not NLTB money.. Just at least $8 million to spend on FA's.. OH, and did I include that's NOT counting the Eric Moulds money?

Anywho, Phil (who's opinions I do respect whether I agree or not) told me that quote "$8 million would get eaten up with two signings".

Phil, you are wrong.

I just completed research on my own and talked to the best cap guy I know (Outside of Clump of course)..

I would concur that ANY Buffalo Bills fan would think that LeCharles Bentley over Preston, Kevin Shaffer over Gandy and Joe Jurevious over parrish/davis are ALL tremendous upgrades that would help this team in a HUGE way, no?

WEll check this out.. This is how much these players count against the cap for the Cleveland Browns in 2006..
    Bentley: $2.66 million (2.08 + 650k base)
    Shaffer: $2.585 million (2.0 + 585k base)
    Joe J. $1.71 million (1.0 + 710k base)

That is a TOTAL of $7.22 million against the salary cap for 2006. for ALL THREE of them. Three IMPACT players.. I think we can all agree we wouldnt be talking OL anymore (our #1 weakness) with Bentley and Shaffer on the roster, or a quality 2nd WR to replace Moulds..

For the Record: IN 2007 the cap figure goes up to $8.3 million. BTW, the salary cap goes up some $7-8 million for each team in 2007..

Bentley and Shaffer's cap numbers start to really get up there in year four of their contracts.. That's what having a good draft over the next few years is SUPPOSED to accomplish.. HAving young guys primed to replace the older, expensive guys who by 2008-09 will be on their way out.
    ====================================================
    So I hope what is learned that its NOT just about how much salary cap room you have.. Its even more about what your owner is willing to spend. Cleveland is a small market team like Buffalo.. Yet the owner was willing to shell out exactly $28.5 million in signing bonuses to these three players who WILL make Cleveland a better team.. by doing that, he prorated the bonuses and lowered the cap numbers so the team could go and get MORE role players, like Washington and McGinest.

The Bottom line is Buffalo doesnt get these kind of players and make these kind of moves, NOT because we dont have the cap space, it's because we have a FRUGAL owner who refuses to pay what it takes to put a winning team on the field anymore.. Hell, he admits he didnt even understand the new CBA.

Say what you want about Dan Snyder to, He got the guys he got with less cap room than Buffalo because he was willing to pay the bonus money out to spread the cap out more.

Until Ralph Wilson ever does this if ever, we're going to continue to sign the Robert Royal's and Matt Bowen's of the league and try to sell our fans on the draft.

In some cases, especially with Snyder owners do FOOLISHLY throw away money.. But if you're in the Buffalo organization, getting players like Bentley, Shaffer and Jurevicious isn't foolish.. Its NECESSARY to winning.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Nighthawk
    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
    • Jul 2002

Re: A response to our Salary Cap Situation

I would've liked to see the Bills address some needs with upgrades and not leftovers, but, what can you do. Fabini would save a lot of face for Marv if he can somehow sign him.

Comment

• kgun12
      • Jul 2002

Let's take this a step futher; with the players you mentioned

Bentley / Royal
      Shaffer/ Bowen
      Joe J / Davis

Who is going to put more fans in the seats, thus recooping the bonus money over the next several years and what 3 player excite you more, let's guess!

Let me also say I know we can't sign every FA out there, however I would of like to see us make a better play for some of these guys!
      Retired Air Traffic Controller
      USAF VETERAN
      DAV

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

1) this info is not reflective of Marv Levy.. It's Wilson's money and therefore it's Wilson's fault primarily.. Its Levy's job to FIND and put together the talent.. It's Wilson's job to do what it takes to get them here..

I am not suggesting go and offer every key guy at every position we need $10-12 million signing bonuses.. I am saying in some cases it CALLS For it at certain key positions..

That is, if you really want to win. Then again, fans sell out the Ralph every game now.. Wilson is profiting even when we lose..

Comment

• Nighthawk
          Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
          1) this info is not reflective of Marv Levy.. It's Wilson's money and therefore it's Wilson's fault primarily.. Its Levy's job to FIND and put together the talent.. It's Wilson's job to do what it takes to get them here..

I am not suggesting go and offer every key guy at every position we need $10-12 million signing bonuses.. I am saying in some cases it CALLS For it at certain key positions..

That is, if you really want to win. Then again, fans sell out the Ralph every game now.. Wilson is profiting even when we lose..
          Good post...I agree, that sometimes you need to spend a little money to get that player you need. I don't want every FA, but I would like to see one of our major holes, the OL, addressed with a fairly decent player. I would like to go into a season knowing that I don't have to worry about the OL and if they will be good enough. Wouldn't that be great!

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Nighthawk; you're right.. I"m just using the Cleveland trio as an example that you CAN get IMPACT players who can immediately help without killing your salary cap.

Fabini or Runyan are still out there.. So is Neal.. There's a few guys on defense that can help.. But the crop is getting thinner by the day.. And though FA is still young, the players are going a lot faster than normal.

And with teams getting the extra cap room and more time before FA started to make decisions.. There's going to be FAR less cuts come June 1 over money than previous years.

This next week is important if for no other reason than our OL .. We cant afford to strike out in FA with the OL.. the other stuff I dont care so much about the draft and depth can help.. But not the OL

Comment

• kgun12
              • Jul 2002

Not to add fuel to the fire, but look at this and I bet the sign him too. How much cap room did the Browns start with?

Browns | Might attempt to sign Arrington
              Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:42:12 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Cleveland Browns might go after free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins).
              Retired Air Traffic Controller
              USAF VETERAN
              DAV

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                Roways rooking ahread!
                • Sep 2005

The Bottom line is Buffalo doesnt get these kind of players and make these kind of moves, NOT because we dont have the cap space, it's because we have a FRUGAL owner who refuses to pay what it takes to put a winning team on the field anymore.. Hell, he admits he didnt even understand the new CBA.

Reality, cruelist friend you'll ever have.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

LOL.. Arrington is a luxury the Browns can afford because they do have the cap room that Buffalo didn't.

Signing bonus prorated who however many years or not, we can't afford all that.. I didnt include McGinest or Washington either, because I counted Triplett and those bums we signed into consideration..

And BTW, say what you cant about Cleveland.. But Savage is the MAN and there is NO DOUBT that Cleveland is GOING for it now.. Whether it works out or not, at least they're fans are jacked.

Comment

• billsburgh
                    • Jul 2003

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5407036I read an article the other day about Joe Gibbs talking about how the Skins are able to sign all these players. he said any team can do it if they really want to with the signing bonuses. I'll see if I cAn find the link.
                    Last edited by billsburgh; 03-16-2006, 11:36 PM.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                      Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                      • Jun 2005

You have to look past this year too Pat. Those contracts are backloaded im sure. And would count more against the cap next year.

Comment

• vicmantak
                        • Jun 2005

What about the no-panic plan:

IMO it's wise start thinking that we must pay big money to players who deserves it on the way as Bills did it recently with McGee, Crowell and Shobel.

"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward"
                        - Helen Keller

"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"

- Mary Pickford

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by kgun12
                          Let's take this a step futher; with the players you mentioned

Bentley / Royal
                          Shaffer/ Bowen
                          Joe J / Davis

Who is going to put more fans in the seats, thus recooping the bonus money over the next several years and what 3 player excite you more, let's guess!

Let me also say I know we can't sign every FA out there, however I would of like to see us make a better play for some of these guys!
                          Good post!

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

The biggest question I have is....We have $14 million under the cap. If we wait until all the bums are all that is left, we will probably still have at least $10 million under the cap to spend. The question is...What the **** is that money being saved for?

The answer might be that Ralph is going back to his old, cheap ways.

Comment

• don137
                              • Jul 2002

If/when Buffalo has money left over to start the season I hope they extend Clements contract and readjust some contracts by givng some people some unattainable contract incentives so they count against this year's cap. Once the year ends and the players to do not reach those incentives then salary not used gets pushed to next year's cap. Buffalo can then really go hog wild and really re-load. Of course, this is assuming RW would be willing to do that. I don't know if he would but one can hope.

Comment

Working...
                              X