PDA

View Full Version : Spend the Cap on D rather than Price

justasportsfan
02-01-2003, 01:23 PM
We all know what a D can do for a team. The bucs and the Ravens carried their team all the way to winning a SB. The Rams had a good defense as well in all those SB years. The Pats beat the Rams with Belichik's D in SB 2002.

The reason why I brought this up is because although we all know we need DE's and LB's, a lot of emphasis has been on signing Price. Even Drew has openly said he wants Price back and would take some cash out of his paycheck for this to happen. Then again Price helps make Drew's nos. better.

Price was our no. 2 WR and yet he had more yards than Keyshawn Johnson. . Another thing to consider is that Travis Henry doubled the output of Pittman .Despite this , the Bucs are the Champs and we didn't even make the playoffs.

The Raiders were the no.1 offense in the league but that wasn't good enough to win them the Championship.

Based on these facts , I have to ask what direction would you rather see the bills go? Would you rather this team head towards having a no. 1 Raider type of offense or build a D that wins championships. We've all seen what happens when the bills fall way behind and leave it up to Drew and co. to play catch up .

You would think the combination of Drew, Moulds, Price and Reed would be enough. Obviously not. Defenses have figured us out and know what Gilbrides way of thinking is when his back is against the wall. This tandem with Gilbride leading the way has "pass" written all over Drew's eyes.

Price is definitely an asset , but if signing him for a huge ammount which therefore prevents us from signing the right defensive players to make us the top D in the league, then he becomes a liability. A great D that causes turnovers and stops offenses deep in their territory will make up for the loss of Price if he decides to go elsewhere for the money.

Greg Williams is supposedly a defensive genius. Find him the right players to win us a SB. Tampa won the SB on their first trip. Despite the KGun, we didn't win it in 4 tries. We should learn from the past.

Sorry for the long post. Time for me to go back to the twighlight zone where I belong .

ublinkwescore
02-01-2003, 02:08 PM
If I remember correctly, if we get rid of Jay Riemersma, we save another 3.5 million dollars - which we could probably use to get Price to stay, and then still have like another 13 million to spend on D. Dave Moore proved (in my opinion anyways) that he's BETTER then JR. If you ask me, I think we can keep Price, and get all the help on D that we could possibly want. Not to mention - I think that if we get rid of Rogers, and use Crosby, or Morris, or Clements even (Clements did a stellar job as a punt returner last year) as a punt returner (though I wouldn't want to see Clements handling the KO return duties after seeing the kinds of hits people tend to take on KO duty) we could probably shave ourselves even more cap room for next season.

KEEP PRICE, AND GET HIM THE DAMN BALL.

I hope you read this Price, and hold on to the damn ball when it gets thrown to you!

Bufftp
02-01-2003, 02:16 PM
use it all on the D
9 out of 10 times when the top D meets the top O meets in the SB the D wins!
our fast paced supercharged O the K-gun was 0-4 in SB
I want us to have a SB victory even if it was 7-6
'nuff said

justasportsfan
02-01-2003, 02:16 PM
I agree that we should keep Price , but not at all cost. We need to prioritize getting the best defensive players first and then Price second.

WG
02-01-2003, 02:41 PM
Nicely stated just!

Some people just like to see lots of passing yards accumulate regardless of how many points we let through or whether we allow RBs to dominate us the way they did for 312.6 YPG.

DDDDD!!!!!! All the way!

WG
02-01-2003, 02:44 PM
With everything we had on O, we still only managed to finish 11th in the league in offense scoring only 23.7 PPG.

Time to see what D can do for us!

If Drew wants to split half of his $5.5M due this year w/ Price then fine. Otherwise, C YA!

MissBuffalo
02-01-2003, 02:59 PM
I agree. I'd love to see us keep Price, but not at all costs. IMO the D is a higher priority this offseason than another receiver. Reed can step in at no. 2 and I'm sure there will be no problem signing a 3rd WR.

justasportsfan
02-01-2003, 03:10 PM
Reed had practically half the yardage that Keyshawn had all season long. Make Reed no. 2 and he'll have Price's nos. as well.

Goes to show you that your top recciever can have only so much stat nos, but with a D that which can stop O's and take away capabilty will translate to scoring oppurtunities.

The best way to put the ball in your Qb's hands is when we stopped our opponent and not because they just scored. That statement pretty much sums up our season.

justasportsfan
02-01-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Nicely stated just!

Coming from you wys, you just put me in the most hated list . LOl . JK

Thanks , I have my moments , however rare.

WG
02-01-2003, 03:53 PM
You could be me!

:scared:

justasportsfan
02-01-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
You could be me!

I'd rather be in Iraq :D

The_Philster
02-01-2003, 03:56 PM
:rofl:

Bufftp
02-01-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

Coming from you wys, you just put me in the most hated list . LOl . JK

we hate you just ;):jk:

I agree that we need to put heavy resources in the D.

I don't think if you want to do the above you waste effort in trying to resign Price,
your not gonna get him at price that won't negativly effect the above objective.

ublinkwescore
02-01-2003, 04:22 PM
We'll just have to sic Moulds on Price, let Moulds knock some sense into him.

Moulds - "Look dip$#!+ - re-sign with Buffalo, and you've got a strong shot at getting a ring real soon. Then you can go and be the #1 guy somewhere else - like Atlanta."

Price - "But I want to be the #1 guy right now!"

Moulds - {slaps Price upside the head}
"You're still young, you'll have more then half your career to be the #1 guy somewhere else, if you leave now, and we end up winning the big game this upcoming season, and you never win one, you're gonna be kicking yourself in the @$$ every January for the rest of your life. Stay here, and help us bring this most deserving city and it's fans a Lombardi Trophy. You won't regret it."

Price - "Duhhh, I never thought about that."

Moulds - "That doesn't surprise me. Now, if you re-sign, you better keep a cool head, or else we'll throw you a towel party after every game that you lose your cool, and almost cost us a game."

Price - "Ok, I'll grow up."

ublinkwescore
02-01-2003, 04:23 PM
One can only hope.

justasportsfan
02-01-2003, 10:40 PM
Don't know much about numbers (caps and salary) but can we afford Colvin, Spikes and Douglas if they weren't retained by their respective teams and they wanted to come to buffalo? If it meant letting go of Price for these three , I'm all for it. Just theoretically speaking.

The_Philster
02-02-2003, 04:16 AM
Any two of them together would cost more than Peerless will, justa.

ublinkwescore
02-02-2003, 12:29 PM
Not much more though - offensive players tend to command more money though don't they?

justasportsfan
02-02-2003, 12:31 PM
I would take any of the two over price , granted that Colvin is a 100% healed and ready to go from his injuries.

clumping platelets
02-02-2003, 06:55 PM
:couch:

Did someone say salary cap??

ublinkwescore
02-02-2003, 07:26 PM
I did - Clump, tell us - do you think we'll be able to keep Price, and bring in the D help (DT, LB, depth at all three phases - DL, LB, Secondary) that we need?

I do, if we get rid of some of the dead weight - like Riemersma, Watson, Rogers, Robinson, C. Johnson - what would that make our cap situation look like?

kgun12
02-02-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Bufftp
use it all on the D
9 out of 10 times when the top D meets the top O meets in the SB the D wins!
our fast paced supercharged O the K-gun was 0-4 in SB
I want us to have a SB victory even if it was 7-6
'nuff said

"K-gun 0-4 in SB" Don't blame me, I was routing my A$$ off during all 4 SB's:laughter:

If we cut JR and Drew will take a paycut, AND it doesn't hurt our ability to get the needed defensive help, than I'm all for it. But if we resign PP and anyone in the front office says "we just didn't have the money to fill ALL our needs than I will be PI$$ed:mad:

clumping platelets
02-03-2003, 08:23 AM
I'm working on the cap stuff as I post...........I'll have something very soon

justasportsfan
02-03-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by clumping platelets

Well get on it slacker:snicker2:

You have time to posts the fins cap but not ours. Closet finfan. lol.

clumping platelets
02-03-2003, 10:21 AM
Fins one is easier because they need to get down to the cap. It's easy to cut :evil:

Bufftp
02-03-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
YOUR AWSOME CLUMP!

clumping platelets
02-03-2003, 10:45 AM
Awwww.....shucks! :D

Bufftp
02-03-2003, 10:56 AM
and humble too! ;)