PDA

View Full Version : Without overtime Buffalo would be...

Ebenezer
03-17-2006, 03:19 AM
as much fun as this season has been and trust me I am enjoying the ride, this team is being helped by the new shootout system. Team records are being set for consecutive wins and they have won 7 or 8 games in a row at least twice...

however, had they played under older rules without overtime this team would be - 35 wins 16 losses 14 ties...84 points...not bad at all for this time of year...that would be a pace of 103 points in 80 games...for comparison the 74-75 Sabres (possibly the best Sabres team ever) were tied for the lead league in points with 113 and a record of 49-16-15. Buffalo also had three players with 95+ points (all three members of the French Connection).

unless they make (and possibly win the finals) this is not the best Sabres team ever. granted the kids have made a great impression but that is due to the talent in the league being watered down.

I am not trying to be a downer - just trying to put it in perspective. :handball:

YardRat
03-17-2006, 05:13 AM
They may not be the best ever (yet) but they're just as entertaining to watch as the team that went to the finals against Dallas, LaFontaine-Mogilny, and the French Connection.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-17-2006, 05:30 AM
Why would you try to put things in perspective? There really is no reason for it. Why is it when you get something good someone always has to put a negative spin on it?

Philagape
03-17-2006, 07:36 AM
What does it matter how this team compares with past teams? It's a new NHL. So it's "watered down" ... Does that mean all future Stanley Cup winners should have asterisks next to them? The Cup is about beating the rest of the league as it is, and that's all that matters.

clumping platelets
03-17-2006, 07:44 AM
:movie:

lordofgun
03-17-2006, 03:07 PM
Eb :mad:

Crisis
03-17-2006, 03:26 PM
The 99 team wasn't that great. It was a decent team backed by GREAT goaltending.

I'd take this team over that one anyday.

Bill Brasky
03-17-2006, 09:43 PM
as much fun as this season has been and trust me I am enjoying the ride, this team is being helped by the new shootout system. Team records are being set for consecutive wins and they have won 7 or 8 games in a row at least twice...

however, had they played under older rules without overtime this team would be - 35 wins 16 losses 14 ties...84 points...not bad at all for this time of year...that would be a pace of 103 points in 80 games...for comparison the 74-75 Sabres (possibly the best Sabres team ever) were tied for the lead league in points with 113 and a record of 49-16-15. Buffalo also had three players with 95+ points (all three members of the French Connection).

unless they make (and possibly win the finals) this is not the best Sabres team ever. granted the kids have made a great impression but that is due to the talent in the league being watered down.

I am not trying to be a downer - just trying to put it in perspective. :handball:

If you replaced the word "sabres" with the "bills" and posted this in the football forum you'd get negged to death.

If you are going to say this about the Sabres, you can make the same argument for many other teams. How many shootouts has Dallas won? Aren't they second in points in the West?

Bill Brasky
03-17-2006, 09:45 PM
The 99 team wasn't that great. .

that's an understatement... they were a 7 seed and had to make a late season run just to get to the playoffs.

SabreEleven
03-18-2006, 12:12 AM
99 team got hot at the right time.

Dozerdog
03-18-2006, 12:26 AM
What woiuld everyone else's records be witht his new math, Eb?

PUCKER
03-18-2006, 01:38 AM
Good grief! :shakeno: Were still having a great season,nontheless. I am ready for the playoffs! :hockey:

Bill Brasky
03-18-2006, 02:56 AM
Good grief! :shakeno: Were still having a great season,nontheless. I am ready for the playoffs! :hockey:

hells yes! i have saved up a lot of vacation days at work... now I'm hoping that I can use them to go watch the Sabres win the cup!

The_Philster
03-18-2006, 04:33 AM
The 99 team wasn't that great. It was a decent team backed by GREAT goaltending.

I'd take this team over that one anyday.
agreed. This is a better TEAM

Ebenezer
03-18-2006, 02:02 PM
What woiuld everyone else's records be witht his new math, Eb?
I haven't been able to find every team's overtime record. Safe be it to say that all teams would have fewer points...all teams have benefitted from the new point scoring system.

This was only an exercise to put this current team in perspective...not to criticize a team that is playing very well and is possibly a contender for the cup...some of you took my comments more seriously than I did my research on the topic. :rolleyes:

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-18-2006, 04:01 PM
I haven't been able to find every team's overtime record. Safe be it to say that all teams would have fewer points...all teams have benefitted from the new point scoring system.

This was only an exercise to put this current team in perspective...not to criticize a team that is playing very well and is possibly a contender for the cup...some of you took my comments more seriously than I did my research on the topic. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I guess 10 of us are the idiots, not you.

Ebenezer
03-18-2006, 06:33 PM
apparently so.

JD
03-20-2006, 05:05 PM
:mods:

Typ0
03-20-2006, 06:17 PM
comparing apples to oranges always seems to put things in perspective doesn't it?

pyrrhonist
03-20-2006, 06:48 PM
How many shootouts has Dallas won? Aren't they second in points in the West?

As of Saturday, the answer is---10.

Meathead
03-21-2006, 06:10 PM
eb youre a

http://robthurman.com/weblog/archives/scissorblog/evilqueen.jpg

err i mean

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/b/b0/350px-Top_fuel_eg.jpg

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-25-2006, 12:15 AM
Actually without overtime the Sabres would be in, you guessed it, fourth.

Ebenezer
03-25-2006, 02:56 AM
Actually without overtime the Sabres would be in, you guessed it, fourth.

yes, with 84 points...and we wouldn't be hearing (previous to the 4 game losing streak) how this might be the best sabres team ever...that is why i started the thread...this team is nowhere near as good as that team was 30 years ago.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-25-2006, 06:41 AM
yes, with 84 points...and we wouldn't be hearing (previous to the 4 game losing streak) how this might be the best sabres team ever...that is why i started the thread...this team is nowhere near as good as that team was 30 years ago.

Who cares? It is like say that you were a great poster a couple of years ago and you just aren't the same today.

Ebenezer
04-02-2006, 03:40 AM

you seem to be correct. looks like they are not exactly world beaters...

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-02-2006, 07:25 AM
you seem to be correct. looks like they are not exactly world beaters...

Now you are going to make up stuff? I said why do you have to bring this up, can't we just enjoy the team and that translates into they are world beaters?

Your thread is stupid, just admit it and move on.

SABURZFAN
04-02-2006, 05:36 PM
comparing apples to oranges always seems to put things in perspective doesn't it?

there's always Wysism. :up:

Ebenezer
04-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Now you are going to make up stuff? I said why do you have to bring this up, can't we just enjoy the team and that translates into they are world beaters?

Your thread is stupid, just admit it and move on.

I think you missed the point...I took gruff for daring to bring up that the Sabres aren't as good as people thought...I did that by emphasizing the increased point total due to no ties and that they are not as good as the '75 team...enjoy the season and the ride all you want but accept the fact that I might have been a little bit closer to the truth than the others that posted.