PDA

View Full Version : I Am Still Encouraged

BuffaloBlakely14
03-17-2006, 10:08 AM
I know there is a little dissappointment going on the past couple days with the fanbase, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed to see us miss out on both Bernard and Pickett, but the more I read about Pickett the more I realize he is exactly the type of player that we are shying away from, and trying to get rid of. He is an underachiever who plays for himself, and his paycheck. I still think we should have made a play for Bernard, but maybe he is so similar to Tripplett we didnt or I will have to trust the Front Office and Coaching Staff and he wasnt what they were looking for.

Now today's article in the Buffalo News makes me feel a whole lot better about Bowen, and his ability to step in and take over our vacancy at SS. The article has soem nice things to say about him, and proves he is also exactly like the rest of these guys that we are signing.

I also read some great articles on some other boards about the reality of our situation. We are not in position to make a one year turn around, and we might need to accept that. This year should be used for strengthening the lines, developing young players, and committing to and giving a chance to a young QB, which I think should be JP. We have to find out what we have and if he can lead us. If they are not willing to do that we need to get rid of him and start over. But one things is clear, we do not need an open competition, we need a committment to a starter and then let him play and play out the season. We have to find out where our future lies at QB. Then next year we now know who fits and what we have and we fill in the remaining holes, and grab some more studs via the draft. We look for 8-8 to 10-6 in the second year, and hopefully noticeable improvement, and development. Then in the 3rd year we are hopefully ready to make our run at the Suprer Bowl. That is the reality. So there is no use overspending for shorttimers or big splash guys.

We need to go the nonglamorous route of drafting linemen, and someone who Pat Moran mentioned yesterday, that I liked all season and am starting to like a lot is Mike Haas from Oregon State, he is a Marv Type player and someone I would love to see as our second 3rd or 4th pick.

My ideal draft would go something like this. (not going to speculate about trades, but would love to see us work something out with Denver)

1st - Broderick Bunkley DT Florida State or Winston Justice OT USC (maybe trade back and still get Justice)
2nd - Davin Joseph OG Oklahoma or Charles Spencer OG Pittsburgh
3rd - Best OLineman or D Lineman available whoever rates higher on our board
3rd - Mike Haas WR Oregon State
4th - Best LB or Secondary Player available whoever rates higher
5th - Best QB available

I think moves like this will make our current players better and will help us build a solid foundation for the future.

*Have seen some other Threads stating trade down with Denver, love this idea
and agree with Pat that we should then take

Nick Mangold and either Spencer or Joseph