PDA

View Full Version : The Ball is In Billszone.com's court.

patmoran2006
03-17-2006, 10:33 AM
I"d like to POLL this board and its members.. If for no other reason than I am now curious as to what everyone here wants.

Some people are ready to throw in the towel in march.. some aren't even a big concerned we haven't landed the players we need.. and some are in the middle.. I think to this point we've been an embarassment, but I agree with most its way to early to say we can't do what we gotta do still. Take that for what it's worth.

You are now the GM.. What will/should the Buffalo Bills do between TODAY and April 30 (draft included) that will make you as a Bills fan pronounce "this has been a very successful spring for Marv Levy and the Buffalo Bills"???

I'm VERY interested to hear everyone's theories.. There is no right or wrong answer, its each person's OPINION.

Mitchy moo
03-17-2006, 10:37 AM
I"d like to POLL this board and its members.. If for no other reason than I am now curious as to what everyone here wants.

Some people are ready to throw in the towel in march.. some aren't even a big concerned we haven't landed the players we need.. and some are in the middle.. I think to this point we've been an embarassment, but I agree with most its way to early to say we can't do what we gotta do still. Take that for what it's worth.

You are now the GM.. What will/should the Buffalo Bills do between TODAY and April 30 (draft included) that will make you as a Bills fan pronounce "this has been a very successful spring for Marv Levy and the Buffalo Bills"???

I'm VERY interested to hear everyone's theories.. There is no right or wrong answer, its each person's OPINION.

Ask RW to step down and find someone who understands the NFL and their gameplan. Playing dumb with the other owners makes you well, dumb.

clumping platelets
03-17-2006, 10:41 AM
PUNT!!!

Gunzlingr
03-17-2006, 10:42 AM
We obviously need to sign every free agent out there! The more ridiculous the contract, the better.

NorthCarBills
03-17-2006, 10:53 AM

1. Sign Fabini via FA if possible.
2. If no FA DT is signed via FA, draft Ngata.
3. If Ngata is selected before 8 spot, try to trade the pick to mid-first round and land extra second round pick with that trade (unless by miracle it's Denver).
4. Select Bunkley with the new first round pick if necessary.
5. Use next two picks on o-lineman (e.g. Spencer, Justice).
6. With remaining picks focus on adding depth on both lines so there is a real competition in camp - make it so no one on those lines is an automatic starter, save Schoebel.
7. Announce JP as the starter heading into camp - Holcomb should not be considered as his competition for a starting job - ever. Give the guy who we spent a first round pick on a chance to play behind a hopefully improved O-Line. Stick with him for the year - do or die.

EDS
03-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Given the free agent options available to the Bills this off-season, you really can't criticize the front office for not signing "so-and-so."

Sure it would be great to have LeCharles Bentley, but there was zero chance he was signing in B-Lo without a ridiculous contract - one that would have hampered the team this year and in the future. Same for Hutchinson. Other then those two guys, none of the free agent offensive lineman are studs and most of the good ones are past their prime and would only be a band-aid for the offensive line. The Wells guy they brought in sounds like a good option but I imagine Arizona will match. We will see. None of the other guards on the market seem better then the guards available in the second round, so I would go that route.

As far as the defensive line, they signed a promissing player with lots of game experience. Pickett would have been nice but not for that much money - he just isn't that good. I don't think it is unreasonable to believe Bunkley or Ngata will be better within a year or two, so better to address that in the draft. I might try and sign a Russell Davis type for depth.

Moulds is still a Bill so no need to spend big money on a receiver. I would keep Moulds, so the reiver corps to me looks good.

The coaching staff and front office need to determine whether JP is a guy they can build around, if so, then put him under center and cross your fingers. If not, maybe that has to be addressed in the draft. Personally, I don't know, I have some doubts but am hoping for the best.

I like the tagging of Clements and signing of Bowen for the secondary. The Bills are done there until the draft.

Overall, I don't think the team needs to sign people just to sign people, and expect the remaining signings to be depth guys. The draft is super important. I would draft DT first round, guard second round, then o-line depth round three. Beyond that, maybe another safety, corner and DE.

I believe the team is looking at a two year building process. This years free agents and draft will be a foundation that te '07 off-season will build on.

Philagape
03-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Obviously, the plan has to fit our needs ...
-- O-line. We need an immediate starter at LG, so either we get a good one in the second round or sign a T (Fabini), moving Gandy to guard (which would make me pretty nervous). Ideally, we get both a new T and LG so Gandy can become the depth player he's suited to be. Plus, all of this is betting on Preston taking over at center.
-- DT. Immediate starter needed. First-round pick is the best bet. Some would say Vernon Davis here, but I'd rather see what we got in Everett. DT is the bigger need; we MUST stop the run.
-- Assuming Moulds leaves, we need a starter at WR. Slim pickings left; perhaps Nate Burleson, who would cost us a third-rounder.

Now those are just to fill glaring holes, not considering positions that could use a present or future upgrade (DE, RG, TE, SLB, CB, FS, backup RB).

mybills
03-17-2006, 11:27 AM
We obviously need to sign every free agent out there! The more ridiculous the contract, the better.
:rofl:

SquishDaFish
03-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Good one Gunz. That will make these KIDS real happy and they can stop making POST after POST about how a failure of an offseason he HAD even though its not over yet LOL

clumping platelets
03-17-2006, 11:41 AM
I will post mine later.....I'm doing other things right now

patmoran2006
03-17-2006, 11:54 AM
This is the bluprint for what I would do:

1- First and foremost, secure a trade with Denver where I am sending my 8th pick to denver for #22 and #29. Having this effects how I approach everything leading up the draft.

2- Knowing I now have a pair of first rounders, I decide there are two spots in Free agency I absolutely MUST address, even if it costs me more than I'd like
A) I get Jon Runyan in here. He's older, but he STILL plays at a Pro Bowl level. If I cant, then Fabini or Kenyetta Walker are my next choices. But one of those three I am getting.
B) I sign a second DT for a short-term fix. Grady Jackson, Brenston Buckner or Russel Davis.

3- Draft
1a- Nick Mangold, C- absolute stud
1b- Charles Spencer, G- ditto.
2- Safety- either Bing or Bullocks should be on the board- i love both
3a- WR- MIke Haas. Love this guy.. future Joey J.
3b- The best defensive tackle I can find.

The O LINE is SO MUCH better than in 2005
I've now replaced Milloy in the draft and Moulds with WR by committee
(YOu can't have everything in one year)

Then in 2007 your top two priorties become DT and WR.. everything else should be solid, ESPECIALLY if JP develops well.

AndreReed83
03-17-2006, 12:12 PM
If I'm Marv, after reading all these message boards (which I'm absolutely sure he does.) I would step down, ask for my name and bust to be removed from Canton, move to Siberia, and slit my wrists. All of this for you guys, since I didn't sign Ryan Freakin' Pickett.

patmoran2006
03-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Screw Pinkett.. I was all about Kemo until he signed with Carolina..

Kemo = a PROVEN Ngata.

patmoran2006
03-17-2006, 12:15 PM
AndreReed:
You forgot to add "recall your book"

mysticsoto
03-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Okay, here are my GM choices then. I'm working under the assumption that anyone we may get in FA now might be more for depth than a starter.

At #8:

1) If a surprise gem falls to us:
- Brick - grab him!
- Mario Williams - grab him!
- Leinart/Young/Cutler - use them to trade down and get extra picks (depends on who is trading and from how high/low in the draft pick they are to decide what the extra picks would be).

2) No surprise gem? Look at trade down options if available. Can we trade down to low-mid teens and get an extra 2nd rounder? If so, do it. I've thought about the 8th pick for Denver's two late 1st rd picks, but I don't think they will go for that if they are looking to get out of the 1st rd to begin with.

My interest is to try and get Bunkley as low as I can. The Cardinals or Rams could bite on a trade as both are probably very interested in Vernon Davis. Or the Cardinals could be interested if a top QB were to drop to us. I think we can get a 2nd with a trade with one of these teams. For now, I'll say we trade with the Rams and grab their 2nd. But I think it shouldn't be too hard for us to be able to grab an extra 2nd rd to move down...

Then I would draft the following:

1st rd (#12 pick in trade with Rams) - Brodrick Bunkley (DT) - We need someone of starting caliber to place next to Tripplett and quite frankly, anything that is left in FA is probably good depth/backup material at best. Strengths: Very solid and compactly built...Extremely strong...Holds his ground and will not get pushed around...Has tremendous balance...Is very quick and explosive...Does a great job of penetrating and makes a lot of plays in the opponents backfield...Has a motor that never stops...Plays with good leverage...Locates the ball well...Gets a great push up the middle...Had an outstanding senior campaign.

2nd rd - Nick Mangold (if available - but will probably go at the end of the 1st)
Davin Joseph / Charles Spencer / Max Jean-Gillex (top Guard to cement the LG position) - For Davin Joseph: Has a wide frame and long arms...Is a pretty good athlete and moves well inside at guard...Tough and very strong...Packs quite an initial punch...Aggressive and plays with a nasty demeanor on the field...Smart and very technically sound...Is effective as both a run and pass blocker...A hard worker with excellent intangibles who wants to improve...Has a lot of experience against top competition.

2nd rd - (from trade) Martin Nance - we desperately need to replace Moulds with someone who has alot of upside and has some height. At 6'4" plus, JP just has to lob one to him and he can jump and grab it. Has tremendous size and a big frame...Is a major threat in the red zone...Is underrated athletically...Good leaper who knows how to go up and get the ball...Has big, strong, reliable hands...Will make the acrobatic catch...Physical and knows how to use his body...Tough player who is more than willing to go over the middle...Solid route runner...Intangibles are top notch...Very productive.

3rd rd - If available a high rated safety: Jason Allen (S) or Pat Watkins (S) maybe...otherwise a lower safety can be taken lower (I have confidence in Rashad Baker and even Jim Leonard - plus we have more depth now with Bowen) - so more likely instead grab Gerris Wilkerson (ILB) to replace Fletcher next year. Also has good experience/insurance in case TKO isn't 100% and needs more time to recover. Has good size and the frame to get bigger...Very athletic...Fast and quick with good range...An outstanding run defender...Big hitter and solid tackler who packs a punch...Smart with good instincts...A superb pass rusher and blitzer...Extremely versatile and has experience at inside linebacker and outside linebacker as well as defensive end...Was very productive...Still has a lot of potential and promise.

3rd rd - Alan Zemaitis (CB) - he's from the area and he excels at cover 2. We may not have Nate next year...Has excellent size...Very instinctive and has good field intelligence...Has a nose for and makes a lot of plays on the ball...Is a sure tackler who isn't afraid to support against the run...Is smooth out of his breaks...Has a lot of experience against top competition and has been very productive...Came through with a nice senior campaign...A hard worker with excellent intangibles and top character. Could potentially move to safety in the pros if he can't cut it outside at corner...Has some tools to work with but might need to be in the right system (Cover 2?) to succeed.

This assumes we can get an extra 2nd rounder. I address the D and O lines 1st, then WR (our biggest holes) followed by potential holes next year. Hopefully next year, we can then go with best available player and actually start becoming a dominant team!