PDA

View Full Version : Possible clues to Qb Situation

jmb1099
03-18-2006, 08:04 AM
After having some time to think about the Qb situation, we may be seeing some clues as to who the starter may be. Now as I said in the subtitle this is purely speculation, but interesting nonetheless. The clues I believe are in the players we have re-signed and brought on board, clues I believe are leading up to JP Losman being the starting QB.
1) Josh Reed: Not a favorite singing around here, but if you recall was a favorite target of Losman's along with Lee Evans of course. Redd really did stink up the place the first few years he was here as a pass catching receiver, but he has always been a very good run blocking receiver. Last year he started to demonstrate some decent pass catching skills, and more than once it appeared he was the only one playing with any kind of heart or urgency on the team. With Losman in Reed made plays and demonstrated heart, someting most of the team was lacking.
2) Davis: Losman's other favorite target was of course Lee Evans, our speed receiver. Even when double covered, Losman found some success throwing to Lee. However, throwing to a doubly covered receiver will eventually lead to incomplete passes, or picks. Enter Andre Davis, a very fast receiver with decent hands. Put into formations with Evans and Parrish and the potential for the long ball is very real. We all know that Holcomb is unable to take advantage of a long passing situation, but Losman has the ability.
3) Royal: I groaned when he was singed until I read his scouting report. Good blocking TE. Now initially this may seem like it has no upside, but consider the potential of a QB rollout and pass or scramble and it makes a bit more sense. We don't know what Everret can do yet, but with Royal we know he can block and block well. We know there won't be any rollouts with Holcomb any time soon, but Losman could take full advantage of that situation. Remember the tight ends Levy had in the past? The man understands the importance of the position.

If we add wells and runyan we will have a mean, hungry line that should buy a few more seconds to throw the football and open holes for the run. Like I said, pure specultaion.

Mitchy moo
03-18-2006, 08:07 AM
davis was brought in thinking he is playing w/ KH, so where do we stand?

ICE74129
03-18-2006, 08:17 AM
davis was brought in thinking he is playing w/ KH, so where do we stand?

Resorting to flat out lies now huh skoob?

Mitchy moo
03-18-2006, 08:19 AM

He played w/ Kelly before & I read an article that said he really likes KH. So that leads me to believe that he has an opportunity to do that again.

ICE74129
03-18-2006, 08:25 AM
No you flat lied...again. "davis was brought in thinking he is playing w/ KH". That is a statement. Liking Kelly H doesn't in any way give him any indication that he was brought in thinking KH Was the starter.

In fact if you read the notes from his PC he said BOTH could get the job done and it really didn't matter who was throwing him the ball.

jmb1099
03-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Davis was brought in because he was encouraged to come by Holcomb. If Holcomb is the team player everyone believes he is than this is his way of simply improving the team. No where does it say that Davis believes that he was brought in "for" holcomb. Nice try though.

ICE74129
03-18-2006, 10:33 AM
Davis was brought in because he was encouraged to come by Holcomb. If Holcomb is the team player everyone believes he is than this is his way of simply improving the team. No where does it say that Davis believes that he was brought in "for" holcomb. Nice try though.

Agreed. the man is a BACKUP! If JP isn't the guy, look for someone else to be. From the way I am seeing this offense built up, Holcomb just doesn't have the arm for it

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Davis and HOlcomb can play chess together, on the bench.

In all seriousness.. I get the point that JP is a Reed, Evans kinda guy while Hitch Pass Holcomb favors Moulds/Shelton..

It really doenst matter who is QB to Andre Davis.. His task is to win the #2 WR job and compete with Reed and Parrish..

I dont mind losing a bit at WR by starting reed or even davis instead of moulds, as long as we take that money saved from Moulds and apply it to a PROVEN veteran linemen.

As long as its not a case of Wilson just being CHEAP by brigning back Reed, I'm cool with it.

ICE74129
03-18-2006, 11:07 AM
We will draft linemen. I think AZ says no thank you to matching the contract for their guard.

Dozerdog
03-18-2006, 11:29 AM
It will be the guy who doesn't screw up in training camp. It will be an open competition

ICE74129
03-18-2006, 11:31 AM
It will be the guy who doesn't screw up in training camp. It will be an open competition LOL there is no such thing. It will be one sided and that guy just doesn't have to screw up. So far it looks like JP or someone else. Holcomb just doesn't have the arm.