PDA

View Full Version : Falcons acquire safety Crocker ... after adding Milloy

Jersey1031
03-18-2006, 12:18 PM
ATLANTA -- Demonstrating that they are serious about overhauling a safety corps that rated as one of the NFL's worst in '05, the Atlanta Falcons have acquired three-year veteran Chris Crocker from the Cleveland Browns for a fourth-round pick in this year's draft.

Chris Crocker
Crocker

The trade is contingent on Crocker passing a Monday physical exam. On Friday, the Falcons added 10-year veteran safety Lawyer Milloy, agreeing with him on a three-year, $6.01 million contract.

Crocker, 26, started all 16 games for the Browns in 2005 for the first time in his career and has his best season by far, with 86 tackles, two sacks, two forced fumbles, one recovery, two interceptions, and four passes defensed. For his career, he has 175 tackles, three interceptions and 11 passes defensed, and had appeared in 44 games and started 22 of them.

A former Marshall standout, Crocker was chosen in the third round of the 2003 draft. While the Browns felt Crocker was still a starting caliber player, the team has a glut at safety, and coaches are convinced that second-year pro Brodney Pool, a highly regarded second-round choice in 2005, is prepared to step into the starting lineup this season.

The young Cleveland safety contingent also includes Sean Jones and Brian Russell.

Conversely, safety has been a position of concern in Atlanta for several years, and the overall performance of the team's safeties in 2005 was poor. Not only did the Falcons safeties not make big, game-altering plays, they also failed to make routine ones, and their collective tackling was shoddy. Team officials and coach Jim Mora acknowledged that rebuilding the safety position was an offseason priority.

Even with the additions of Milloy and Crocker, the Falcons might still use an early-round draft choice to bring in another young safety.

In Milloy, the Falcons landed a veteran who will get everyone lined up in the right place, and who is a sure tackler. Crocker should provide energy and another physical hitter to the interior of the secondary, and he is also a very good special teams player.

Crocker has two seasons remaining on his contract and has a base salary of $1 million for 2006.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2373883
ATLANTA -- In a move that addresses the Atlanta Falcons' most glaring defensive shortcoming, the team on Friday reached an agreement with unrestricted free-agent safety Lawyer Milloy, who was released by the Buffalo Bills two weeks ago for salary cap reasons.

Lawyer Milloy
Safety
Buffalo Bills

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int
107 75 32 0 1 1

Milloy, 32, will sign a three-year contract, worth $6.01 million, with a signing bonus of $2.5 million and salaries of $810,000, $1 million, and $1.7 million, according to agent Carl Poston, ESPN.com's Michael Smith reports.

The 10-year veteran visited with Falcons coaches and team officials earlier this week and dined with owner Arthur Blank at a local steakhouse, usually a tip-off that Atlanta is serious about pursuing a player. Milloy had also visited with the Cincinnati Bengals and Seattle Seahawks.

Atlanta had made no pretense about dramatically overhauling a safety contingent that arguably ranked as one of the NFL's worst in 2005. Even with the addition of Milloy, the Falcons likely will still use a high-round draft pick to acquire a safety, one who might even have a chance to start as a rookie. Coach Jim Mora indicated at the conclusion of the '05 season that the Falcons would probably sign a veteran in free agency and also add a younger safety as well.

The Atlanta starting safeties combined for just three interceptions in 2005 and totaled just five "big plays" -- a combination of interceptions, sacks, fumbles forced and fumbles recovered. In fact, over the last three seasons, the Falcons' safeties averaged fewer than six "big plays" per year. Contributing to the problem in 2005 was that the starters, Keion Carpenter and Bryan Scott, also tackled poorly.

In hindsight, the Falcons' brass probably erred last spring in its approach to the longtime safety woes, eschewing higher-priced veterans at the position and instead concentrating on stop-gap players. Adding a player the caliber of Milloy, a heady veteran and a high-character guy, should benefit the Falcons both on and off the field.

That said, Milloy, certainly in the past few years, hasn't authored many game-altering plays. He has just three interceptions in the past four seasons and, while his resume includes 22 pickoffs, Milloy has had more than three interceptions in a season just once in his career, when he garnered six in 1998. Still, he is a steadying force on a defense, and a very good tackler, both commodities the Falcons need at safety.

The former University of Washington standout was a second-round pick of the New England Patriots in the 1996 draft. He was released by New England in 2003, after he rejected a salary reduction, and signed with the Buffalo Bills. He has 1,035 tackles in his career, including seven seasons with 100 tackles or more, and 15 sacks, 10 forced fumbles, nine fumble recoveries and 70 passes defensed.

Milloy has missed just five of a possible 160 regular-season contests in his career.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=2

Jersey1031
03-18-2006, 12:33 PM
they're commited to bettering their defense...

Philagape
03-18-2006, 12:33 PM
I hope his mother's name isn't Betty

Jersey1031
03-18-2006, 12:39 PM
I hope his mother's name isn't Betty

...oh boyy

Philagape
03-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Sorry :couch:

Jersey1031
03-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Atlanta close to landing Abraham too...

ATLANTA -- In their marathon pursuit of New York Jets three-time Pro Bowl defensive end John Abraham, the Atlanta Falcons and Seattle Seahawks have each reached the halfway point of the grueling race.

The Falcons on Friday reached an agreement with Abraham on a multi-year contract, a high-ranking team official and several league sources confirmed. The next step: Reaching a trade agreement with the Jets on appropriate compensation for the standout defender.

Clearly, though, the Falcons feel they can complete the deal. In fact, team officials indicated Friday they are confident that Abraham will land in Atlanta, to lend energy and a consistent weakside pass-rush threat to a defense that must improve for the Falcons to return to the playoffs.

Earlier on Friday, the Falcons reached a three-year, $6.01 million contract accord with unrestricted free agent safety Lawyer Milloy.

"We're very comfortable with where we are at [with Abraham], and we think he is comfortable, too," said one Atlanta official. "We've got a [contract] deal in place with him."

Abraham, 27, visited with Falcons officials and coaches on Thursday and Friday. He had a physical exam administered by the Falcons' medical staff on Friday morning. Obviously, given that the Falcons have a contract agreement in place with Abraham, he passed the exam. There are unsubstantiated rumors that Abraham would prefer to play in Atlanta, because of its proximity to his native South Carolina.

In 16 games in 2005, Abraham registered 67 tackles, 10½ sacks, six forced fumbles, one recovery and two passes defensed. For his career, the former South Carolina star has 328 tackles, 53½ sacks, 18 forced fumbles, five recoveries and eight pass deflections in 73 games.

The_Philster
03-18-2006, 06:54 PM
:scratch: I wonder if that would free up Keion Carpenter

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 07:19 PM
:scratch: I wonder if that would free up Keion Carpenter

I'm hoping that was sarcasm.. :pimped:

The_Philster
03-18-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm hoping that was sarcasm.. :pimped:
nope..I've always liked Keion...maybe not a star safety..but he played hard, gave it his all...and was at least above average, IMO...at the very least he'd be some solid depth

Mr. Pink
03-18-2006, 09:52 PM
nope..I've always liked Keion...maybe not a star safety..but he played hard, gave it his all...and was at least above average, IMO...at the very least he'd be some solid depth

Is that all you fans care about is depth? I'm really beginning to wonder. Anyone who complains that NOT ONE SINGLE name free agent was brought here is a nay-sayer or has a chicken little post, but you guys salute all these "depth" and "character" choices. Then you dismiss the Bills bringing in anyone of talent through FA that they might have to give 4-5 million a season. I don't know about you but I would have rather given Adam Archuleta or Darren Howard, both of whom would be upgrades over what we already have with the money we tossed around on BACKUPS like Josh Reed and Robert Royals.

I guess I won't be surprised when the Bills bring in Jeff Blake monday and sign him to a 2 year 3 million dollar deal....then tuesday maybe they'll go out sign Kyle Richardson to a 4 year 3 million dollar deal as insurance in case Moorman gets hurt. But hey they're both depth and quality character guys, so that's ok right?

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 09:54 PM

Cool, maybe we can have a contest to see how many "depth" safeties and WR's we can have on the roster.

The_Philster
03-19-2006, 04:01 AM
Cool, maybe we can have a contest to see how many "depth" safeties and WR's we can have on the roster.
so you'd prefer not to have any depth? got a little piece of info for you...starters aren't all going to play every snap. It's a rough game and there will be injuries. It's bad enough you seem to expect us to have Pro Bowlers at every starting spot...now you want Pro Bowlers as backups as well? :coocoo: