PDA

View Full Version : Character VS Talent

Mr. Pink
03-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Everyone around here sits and says that they want to build a winner through character, character this and character that. Oddly enough you need talent to win not just character. The TO signing in Dallas made me have to write this.

I've seen people overjoyed at the resigning of Josh Reed because he's a HIGH character guy. Well guess what his character doesn't help him catch more passes. His character doesn't allow him to gain separation off the line from a DB. His character also doesn't get him in the endzone.

Complain as much as you want that you never wanted a player like TO on this team or even Keyshawn, what do these guys share in common? TALENT. You need talent to win games, who comes to play harder than either of these guys on Sundays? Not many. And that is all that really counts performance on the field not what guys do between M-F in the community. You want to see a winner on the field as do I and having a few of these selfish me first type players surprisingly enough helps you win.

Marv knew this back in the day, Jim Kelly wasn't the highest character guy, yet he did what it took to win so it was easy to look past all of his character issues. bickering bills era for example. Bruce Smith got caught by police asleep in his car with marijuana on board in Virginia, he was still here. I wouldn't call that one high character either. So don't sit back and believe Marv only wants high character guys, the problem is he hasn't shown anything in free agency that suggests he wants talent either.

People sit and point to the Patriots as the paragon of virtue and model of how every other NFL team should be built. Two years ago they brought in the miscreaint from the Bengals, Corey Dillon. Plenty people questioned his character, his heart, his commitment. Apparently that didn't dissuade the Patsies from bringing him and giving them a running game the sorely needed. So, even Bill Belichick and Pats brass knows that you need to take a gamble here and there to WIN.

Sure the Eagles last year fell apart like a house of cards in the wind. But what happened 2 years ago when TO came in? He took them over the hump of the NFC title game and into a SB. A SB that they wouldn't have ever even been in if TO didn't carry the entire offense on his back in the most gritty, heart driven performances I have ever seen. So go ahead and question his character, the dude helps your team win ballgames.

In conclusion I'll name probably the greatest QB we've ever seen in the past 25 years of the NFL. John Elway. A guy who spurned a franchise to go play baseball just because he never wanted to suit up in their uniform. That's right Mr. Elway was originally drafted by the Colts. Yet lead the Broncos to 5 SBs.

PromoTheRobot
03-18-2006, 03:43 PM
The difference between Kelly, Smith and Owens is that as bad as they were off-field, when they showed up to play, it was ALL team! Owens has shown, twice, he will put himself above his team. I feel it's no coincidence that guys like Owens and Randy Moss have no rings.

The real irony of this Owens talk is that there are people actually think T.O. would have come to Buffalo! Yes...if all 31 other teams said NO! And even then he might pick a CFL team! Look how long it took him to sign with a sexy franchise? 5 minutes? All I can say is T.O. and Jerry Jones deserve each other.

PTR

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 03:49 PM
damn...

good points. even actually cited samples.

I think Jerry Jones knows that TO can put him over the hump and he's taking a shot.. I dont like Keyshawn so I wouldnt want him even if he wanted to come to buffalo.

we can go on and on with theories for days about whats going on at OBD. I still say at the end of the day, too many people question WTF LEvy is doing when in reality, Its' on Ralph Wilson to cough up the bucks.

Put it this way.. If Levy was GM and Jerry Jones was the Bills owner, I can guarentee you given the Bills needs coming in we'd have three offensive linemen and a pair of tackles for defense right now.

Don't hate on Marv.. At least until we see what he does with the draft. a Mike Williams-selection would be on Marv........... til then.. nah.. I believe marv wants the guys he needs and he's settling for the best Ralph's money will give him.

Crisis
03-18-2006, 03:53 PM
I'd take a group of WRs like Branch, Givens, Patten, etc. over TO and Meshawn anyday.

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 03:53 PM
I think he's best WR in the NFL and I dont think he could've worked with a team like buffalo.. I Think dallas is the ONE team between tradition, ownership and a coach where he will work out well..

I wouldnt be surprised at all if Dallas is in the Super Bowl next year.

BillsFever21
03-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Everyone here who are calling all these signings "high character guys" are the ones that's in denial that we're gonna suck again this year.

Sure you need some high character guys for a good locker room atmosphere but without talent on the team you're not gonna be any good.

Ralph isn't willing to pony up the signing bonuses to contend in this league. See my post earlier today about how high the salary cap will get. The big spending teams will have more then enough money to outbid teams and get whoever they want and teams with penny pinching owners like Ralph Wilson probably won't even use all of the cap or shell out the big bonuses that will even be increasing higher over time.

BillsFever21
03-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Also the difference between the Patriots' high character team and the one the people in denial think that we're building is the Patriots have one of the best HC's in the history of the league.

Our coaching staff sucks and could be lucky enough to take a team of stars anywhere let alone a team of backups.

The Patriots molded these guys into great players with great coaching. Unfortunately Buffalo doesn't and never will have that kind of a coaching staff which also falls back to Ralph Wilson's penny pinching ways.

Instead of going out and paying top dollar for a top notch coaches we have our budget for coaches and end up with the bottom of the barrel.

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Just for the record.. THis "huge" contract TO signed..

All three years, even if they pay the bonuses out in full.. NONE Of the three years is his cap number as high as Eric Moulds is on the books for Buffalo in 2006.

The_Philster
03-18-2006, 06:14 PM
There's no reason that talented guys can't have character...it's the guys with talent but are complete POS that we don't want. Andre Reed, Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas all had a few issues from time to time...but their worst transgressions were never as bad as TO's...and when push came to shove, they put the team first. TO and Meshawn are 2 examples of head cases who will never get it because with each of them, it's a me-first attitude.

Bmax
03-18-2006, 07:01 PM
I think he's best WR in the NFL and I dont think he could've worked with a team like buffalo.. I Think dallas is the ONE team between tradition, ownership and a coach where he will work out well..

I wouldnt be surprised at all if Dallas is in the Super Bowl next year.

Pat

Can't let you get away with this one !!!!!! The boys in the bowl....Say what ?

With Drew Bledsoe at qb ......NO WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!

BMAX

ICE74129
03-18-2006, 07:10 PM
Just for the record.. THis "huge" contract TO signed..

All three years, even if they pay the bonuses out in full.. NONE Of the three years is his cap number as high as Eric Moulds is on the books for Buffalo in 2006.

And Moulds isn't on the same planet talent wise as TO, sorry no. So lets take that down even further as to what Moulds can expect to get as a FA. The man needs to wise up.

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Drew wouldn't be the main reason..

Lets no forget they do have a great running back in Jones.. They also have a lot of younger guys on defense who are getting better.

How many games did dallas blow last year in the final minutes? This could be the year they put it together.. I think TO will win them a few games alone.

I certainly wouldnt BET on Dallas winning the NFC, but i wouldnt bet against it either.

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 07:13 PM
Moulds will end up getting $3-4 million a year over 2-3 years.. and with Dallas obviously now out I'd see Denver as the front runners, IF they can find a way to fit him in the cap.

Other teams I wouldnt bet against either are Philly and Carolina.