PDA

View Full Version : I say neither Bunkley NOR Ngata

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 05:02 PM
I like Bunkley and Ngata, but I hope we end taking neither of them.. I STILL hope we take Vernon Davis (if he even is around then) because of how many different things he can bring to the offense.

As I said earlier in another post, most the great pass catch TE's in this league split wide and dont even line up next to the tackle anymore.Take Jeremy Shockey and Gates.. You never know if they're lining up next to tackle or as a slot receiever... Davis has a TE body AND he has WR speed and hands.. He's the ultimate answer to Moulds, not anyone else we have.

And WITH HIM.. The rest of the offense can do a lot more.. You can run a lot of one back sets to mix it up, with double TE's (Royal is a good blocker).. If you're looking to pound the ball with a two TE set, Davis can block very well and is regarded as a much better blocker than Everett.

Everett, who for intents and purposes is a rookie again this year; can still be of a good use. For starters, he's depth< MUCH better than Nuefeld or Euhus. You can at times use both Everett and Davis in a double TE set.. Good luck trying to figure out who to cover with yer safety.. You can also split out Davis at times, I think his 4.38 speed suggests that he can play a little wide out from time to time. That happens to be faster than about 70% of the WR in the league who play the position.

Most importantly, he's beyond just a "threat" and will free up more chances for Lee Evans to not get triple doubled and tripled team as often, which is what will happen if Josh Reed is our second best receiever on the team.

Basically, to me.. If were able to get Davis it would give our offense a lot more looks and different ways we can hurt you. It will keep defenses guessing a lot more and I feel it would make JP Losman in turn a lot more effective.

That and oh ya, he's only the best prospect at the position to come out of the draft since.. maybe ever.

I'm banking that Marv gets at least 1-2 O linemen between now and the draft, Wells would be an improved start. If he can get Wells and a tackle (ashworth, walker, runyan) Our line will be a lot better.. That affords us:

1- Davis (just too f'n good to not take)
Rd 2- best DT on the board (I think watson will be there)
3a- best guard availabe.. could take over for Chris V in 2007.
3b- Safety

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Maybe I should learn how to spell a headline properly before offering insight to the topic, huh..

ICE74129
03-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Better yet learn football. You ***** and whine every 5 minutes about lines then you say pass on them? We have tight ends, draft linemen

Mr. Pink
03-18-2006, 05:09 PM
Yes so we can have another overpaid TE on this roster, isn't Royals enough?
And then there's Everett who some people expect to be huge on this team based upon him being on the U prior. Drafting Davis would be a HUGE blunder and another step back for this organization.

You say that the biggest problem Bledsoe had here was because the previous regime neglected the o-line? Well why not go after Winston Justice with this pick? Or trade down a few slots and get Winston and more picks to upgrade the huge glaring holes on this "titanic."

Vernon Davis is a luxury pick, the problem is the Bills don't have the luxury of being able to realistically select him.

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Ice:
Here's a thought.. SIGN A FEW VETERANS on the line who've actually played in the NFL..

justasportsfan
03-18-2006, 05:16 PM
I think our TE position is set. We'd be more dangerous if both lines are dominant. Teams that have Gonzo , Shockey and Chargers haven't won a sb. However, dominant lines have.

justasportsfan
03-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Ice:
Here's a thought.. SIGN A FEW VETERANS on the line who've actually played in the NFL..

I don't mind the idea though especially if we get rid of Moulds.

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Vernon Davis wouldnt be a luxury pick to Lee Evans, your new no. 1 WR who's going to be quadruple-teamed on every play because the rest of the receivers are bums..

Josh Reed can't shake Jude Law off the line of scrimmage, let alone Ty Law

DraftBoy
03-18-2006, 05:20 PM
I see your reasoning for Davis and while I would not be upset with the pick I think Huff is the smarter pick for this team. But as long as we dont get Ngata Im happy.

DraftBoy
03-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Vernon Davis wouldnt be a luxury pick to Lee Evans, your new no. 1 WR who's going to be quadruple-teamed on every play because the rest of the receivers are bums..

Josh Reed can't shake Jude Law off the line of scrimmage, let alone Ty Law

You under estimate Andre Davis, personally I think he poised for a breakout year.

patmoran2006
This is another in a long list of examples of just how STUPID Ice is..

Let JP play this. Let JP play that... He has to prove himself.. blahblahblah..

BUT INSTEAD of going out and getting the KID Losman a set of capable offensive linemen through Free Agency like a Runyan and Wells or Neal.. You know them right.. Guys who've played in the NFL and dont have to learn on the job.

Lets draft ROOKIE OFFENSIVE LINEMEN to put in there for JP to get murdered..

Tell ya what.. Why dont we Keep Peters.. Get rid of everybody else.. TRade down from 8.. have a first and three seconds.. and lets use ALL FOUR of those picks on rookie offensive linemen. Moron

justasportsfan
Josh Reed can't shake Jude Law off the line of scrimmage, let alone Ty Lawthat's not fair, Jude Law was projected to be the next Partick Surtain.

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Ice is back on the board.. My rep will be minus 20,000 before 8pm..

Cause that makes him SOOOO cool.

ICE74129
03-18-2006, 05:25 PM
You need to wake the Fk up and understand It isn't me. You aren't liked period.

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 05:25 PM
Anybody who thinks that Lee Evans is going to be fine as a number one receiver with the likes of Josh Reed, Andre Davis or Roscoe Parrish as the other starter.. and Bobby Royal as the TE is sadly mistaken.

Davis can be a tight end on one play and a WR the next.. It's NOT that he's a TE.. Its two things

1) He can absolute eff up a defensive scheme
2) You can run A LOT More looks on offense with him that YOU CANT without him.

At the end of the day, a team like SF or OAK, who like us both have crappy lines on both sides of the ball.. Will draft Davis because they know the IMPACT he will have in the NFL.

I"m so sick of that "need' word.. Here's a word for bills fans.. "Impact"

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 05:27 PM
You need to wake the Fk up and understand It isn't me. You aren't liked period.

Am I not liked because Im not a cheerleader like you? YOu should be posting on Jills boards not Bills.. You nothing about the Bills except the wire reports and Bills.com columns that are in front of you..

I'm liked by plenty by the way.. I get plenty of positive emails on columns and other things I do.. I'm like enough by the administrators to have articles on the front page of Billszone, not just the message board.

I'd say more but if its not a press release statement you wouldn't understand it anyway.

Mr. Pink
03-18-2006, 05:28 PM
What about Andre Davis has given you any idea he's bound for a break out year? He's had ONE healthy season as an NFL player. ONE! A breakout year for him would be not breaking his pu....uhhh nevermind.

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 05:30 PM
And I have no problem who disagree with what I say.. Unlike your mentally challenged self.. MOst will offer some insight as to WHY a topic I'm covering is wrong, bad idea whatever.. that I respect..

But coming from someone who's three favorite words on this board is "STFU", "TOS" and "SPAM" I dont' take you seriously one tiny bit.

Why dont you ever counter a point by me or ANYONE for that matter with something that actually has merit? then again, that's asking too much.

justasportsfan
03-18-2006, 05:35 PM
:movie:

Mr. Pink
03-18-2006, 05:38 PM
And I have no problem who disagree with what I say.. Unlike your mentally challenged self.. MOst will offer some insight as to WHY a topic I'm covering is wrong, bad idea whatever.. that I respect..

But coming from someone who's three favorite words on this board is "STFU", "TOS" and "SPAM" I dont' take you seriously one tiny bit.

Why dont you ever counter a point by me or ANYONE for that matter with something that actually has merit? then again, that's asking too much.

:stfu: :liar2: :spam: :spammer:

:hitself:

Are you two having fun with your :monkeyp: contest?

Well, now that I'm glad I added nothing redeeming to this topic I must say that I should be :banme:

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 05:38 PM
For everyone else besides Icebrain....

You (not all but many) say you wouldn't take Davis because he's not a need.

Are you NOT going to take AJ Hawk if he slips to eight then? According to our new Defensive coaches, LB is the strength of our team.. Why would need another LB with our first pick?

We havent even sniffed any DE of value through FA, so apparently that's not a need either correct? well, If Mario Williams miraculously was to fall to eight, are you passing on him because he's not a "need"

Are you going to pass on AJ Hawk if he's there at eight? I"d bet not.

I am not dising anybody's opinions. I think ANY OF THESE cats would look good in Buffalo blue.

HOwever, stop throwing that "need' word out there if you wouldnt pass on Hawk or Mario should one of them fall down 3-4 spots to 8.

camelcowboy
03-18-2006, 05:43 PM
Stick with the lines tight end would be a wasted pick. Why pick a tightend when he would have to block all the time, because the lines are crap. Don't tell me the bills should sign a few veterans for the line. I'll tell you what, no more talking about drafting a TE, QB or LB until the bills actually sign some veterans for the lines. As of now if the bills draft a TE, its a wasted pick.

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Stick with the lines tight end would be a wasted pick. Why pick a tightend when he would have to block all the time, because the lines are crap. Don't tell me the bills should sign a few veterans for the line. I'll tell you what, no more talking about drafting a TE, QB or LB until the bills actually sign some veterans for the lines. As of now if the bills draft a TE, its a wasted pick.

I hear what you saying, Camel.. But Davis isn't just a tight end. He's someone who can make as big an impact every Sunday as anybody on the board in the ENTIRE draft and I'm INCLUDING Bush, Hawk, and Mario as well.

ICE74129
03-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Stick with the lines

Mr. Pink
03-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Stick with the lines

So Ice, who would you take with this pick? Or would you trade down to get more picks? If so who would you look to be taking later?

ICE74129
03-18-2006, 06:05 PM
I take Bunkley over Ngata at this point. My prefrence is to get Denvers two picks. Who I pick depends on a couple things. Did the cards match the offer we made to wells, and is he going to play guard or center.

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 06:06 PM
So Ice, who would you take with this pick? Or would you trade down to get more picks? If so who would you look to be taking later?

Lets just take for granted than any team would be willing to give up their first and multiple other picks to move to number eight.

Theres no lock just because Buffalo WOULD WANT To trade down they will find a partner.. There's probably 10 teams that want to trade down.

DraftBoy
03-18-2006, 06:16 PM
For everyone else besides Icebrain....

You (not all but many) say you wouldn't take Davis because he's not a need.

Are you NOT going to take AJ Hawk if he slips to eight then? According to our new Defensive coaches, LB is the strength of our team.. Why would need another LB with our first pick?

We havent even sniffed any DE of value through FA, so apparently that's not a need either correct? well, If Mario Williams miraculously was to fall to eight, are you passing on him because he's not a "need"

Are you going to pass on AJ Hawk if he's there at eight? I"d bet not.

I am not dising anybody's opinions. I think ANY OF THESE cats would look good in Buffalo blue.

HOwever, stop throwing that "need' word out there if you wouldnt pass on Hawk or Mario should one of them fall down 3-4 spots to 8.

Would I pass on AJ Hawk? In a milisecond and would not blink twice about it

Would I pass on Mario Williams? Hell no, he is what we need at DE to replace that bum Kelsay.

AJ Hawk is of no interest to me, but Mario sure as hell is. And you say Davis while not a need is an impact, well Huff is both a need and an impact, so what word should we use to describe him? How about three "The Right Pick"

ICE74129
03-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Would I pass on AJ Hawk? In a milisecond and would not blink twice about it

Would I pass on Mario Williams? Hell no, he is what we need at DE to replace that bum Kelsay.

AJ Hawk is of no interest to me, but Mario sure as hell is. And you say Davis while not a need is an impact, well Huff is both a need and an impact, so what word should we use to describe him? How about three "The Right Pick"

The new DC said the recent SS we signed is counted on to be the 'QB of the secondary'. So he is starting. I wouldn't count on huff unless we are trading clements and that isn't happening

Bling
03-18-2006, 06:20 PM
LMAO... Just go for Lendall White instead if you're going to do something stupid like draft Vernon Davis. We all know McGahee wants out of Buffalo. THAT makes more sense than Vernon Davis, and that's a dumb move.

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Matt Bowen is the new QB of our secondary?
OMG is this going to be a long year.

Well hopefully Idonije will be a good general for the line.

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 06:32 PM
LMAO... Just go for Lendall White instead if you're going to do something stupid like draft Vernon Davis. We all know McGahee wants out of Buffalo. THAT makes more sense than Vernon Davis, and that's a dumb move.

I actually wouldnt be that mad if we did that either.

If this team is starting fresh I want the best player at every position available, I dont care who we already have.. One or two "need' players isnt going to get us anywhere in 2006.

ICE74129
03-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Matt Bowen is the new QB of our secondary?
OMG is this going to be a long year.

Well hopefully Idonije will be a good general for the line.

Since you know more than John Guy, Marv, Modrak and our coaching staff, head on over to OBD and hand them your resume'. I am sure they will be impressed and hire you on the spot....

Bling
03-18-2006, 06:40 PM
Since you know more than John Guy, Marv, Modrak and our coaching staff, head on over to OBD and hand them your resume'. I am sure they will be impressed and hire you on the spot....

This is a freaking message board. That's what we do on them. Like you've never disagreed with management. You're still whinning that Moulds is on the team, hand them your resume.

Bmax
03-18-2006, 06:41 PM
wasted energy thinking about davis..He i repeat for the 10th .. time won't be their at 8..and even if he was we ain't yes ain't taking him.....

Bmax

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 06:43 PM
What are the current "strengths" of the Buffalo Bills, outside of Cornerback?

OL, DL- LOL, Hardly.
LB? - Could be, IF Spikes gets back healthy which given the history of that injury that's anything but a lock? London Fletcher is also going into last year of deal and I'm sure someone will throw a pile of money at him in 2007.
QB?- Ha Ha Ha
RB?- I dont think anyone is sold on Willis as a Franchise back, except maybe Icehead.
WR- After Evans who wont have the luxury of Moulds on the field to take away defenders; we got Drop Reed, Roscoe and Andre Davis.. Not a strength.
S?- You just said Matt Bowen is the "quarterback." VIncent played like he's 59 years old last year.. Baker has never been a starter. Coy Wire is simply Coy wire.. enuf said.

To make a long story short.. With the exception of Nate, TKO (if Healthy) and Lee Evans is irreplacable.

Jason Peters will probably continue to improve but with him being a great LT will come the price of PAYING him like a great LT by off-season in 2007.

What's my point? My point is you take the BEST player on the board when its your turn to pick.

Bmax
03-18-2006, 06:45 PM
lendale white are you kidding !!!!! the guy weighed 253 at the combine .. Talk about dedication...Yeah he has it .... To food.....

I'll pass on the pillsbury dough boy ...can't wait to see how fast he runs the 40.. i'm betting 4.65

Bmax

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 06:46 PM
This is a freaking message board. That's what we do on them. Like you've never disagreed with management. You're still whinning that Moulds is on the team, hand them your resume.

I honestly try hard to not even pay attention to him. If Stupidity was the 100-yard dash, Ice would be Carl Lewis. He still thinks a team will give up a first or second rounder for Moulds, that's enough for me right there.

I dont agree with you often, but at least you have some attempt to make a point to back up what you are saying.

He thinks we'll fix everything through the draft.. and when we dont. Then it will be "we'll have a big cap to work with next year'

either that or it will be "STFU"

Bmax
03-18-2006, 06:56 PM
I'm sorry i just don't get the willis flack...The guy ran behind a sub par line and still had over 1200 yds...Plus teams stacked the line on the guy.

And don't give me that i'm the best rb in the nfl crap either. Ali was hated for his talk back in the day .. way before he whipped sonny liston...He is tough and if used right can be a 1500 yds a year runner...We need a back up..but let's face it rb is the easiest position to fill in the nfl. always has been .

Bmax

Dicknoze69
03-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Honestly, we aren't going to contend this year, so we might as well grab the best player available according to our scouts. Drafting because of need kills teams. Look at Mike Williams. We needed him so bad.

I like Vernon Davis. I really do. I just want someone that isn't a bust. It doesn't matter who it is. I don't care if he's an All-Pro, just please don't suck.

ICE74129
03-18-2006, 07:07 PM
BPA works when you have the needs on your team met. Now if BPA is also a need position, then you are really lucky.

TE isn't a need, The lines are.

Like that worthless coach Bill Cowher said at this years combine in regards to the TE they took last year 'When you have a need, and the best player at his position in the draft is there to fill that need, you must take him'

Bunkley and Ngata will most likely be there at #8. DT is a need. We must take a DT.

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 07:15 PM
if they sign this kid from Chicago and they're giving him that much money ,I'm thinking they project him to either start or at the least, play a hell of a lot.. From I been reading on him today, it seems he's more of a DT than a DE.. that's just a lot of money to offer someone who wont be starting.

IF the bills fail to get a tackle through FA, and unless they get Runyan I dont think anyone else is worth the money.. I could see them taking Winston Justice over NGata or Bunkley, it the pick is based on need.

bigbub2352
03-18-2006, 08:45 PM
i think the bills would be stupid to pass on vince young if he was there, i know whe have glaring needs on oline and dline but if we sign wells and maybe another dline possibly the guy from chicago who just signed the offer sheet, we can strectch to the second for best oline or dline available and get someone who has athletic ability never seen at the qb level as well as beating one of the best college football teams of all time single handed 6' 5 and 233lbs runs a 4.4 and can throw the ball a mile with accuracy, let him compete a year and see what happen holocomb is 32-33 and jp is unknkown that is my opinion

ublinkwescore
03-18-2006, 08:53 PM
A write up of Bunkley from fantasyfootballjungle.com...

Pros: Brodrick Bunkley is a very athletic power house. He has great explosiveness, and has excellent ability to wrap up and make the tackle. Able to penetrate the line and force the pass. Gets off the block very well. He is a true athlete with a mixture of quickness and strength.
Cons: Lacks the size to dominate the run. Concerns on his strength at the NFL level. Lacks the top speed to be a great pass rusher.
Overall: Top five at the Defensive Tackle position. He would make a great Nose Guard to create a more balanced Defensive Line. Most teams will be amazed at his quickness, and tackling ability. Easily a first round draft choice!

Doesn't mention anything about him having a lack of heart - if I remember correctly, I think they questioned Ngata's heart a little - I'll go back and check - if it does, Bunkley could be more of a Levy guy than Ngata.

Philagape
03-18-2006, 11:35 PM
I think the No. 1 problem on this team last year, other than breaking in a first-year QB, and the coaching, and the o-line .... OK, one of the main problems on this team last year was inability to stop the run. That just killed us. A stud DT is absolutely needed. It's a must. Tripplett replaces Edwards, but he's only a complement to No. 1 guy. At this point, it looks like a rookie is a better bet than whatever's left in FA, so I opt for Bunkley/Ngata (let the draft gurus decide which one).
If we draft Davis, fine, but we better be throwing him touchdowns quickly to keep up with the opponents who will dominate time of possession. But if Everett turns out to be halfway decent, we won't miss Davis. A stud TE is nice but not essential. Stopping the run is.
My philosophy is BPA is a luxury; beggars can't be choosers.

jmb1099
03-19-2006, 07:33 AM
There are a lot of good points to consider in this thread. Pat, I can see why you'd be tempted to take Davis, but it seems (key word seems) like we are not leaning his way because of Everett and Royal. It seems to me that they are looking for a blocking te and Royal is that. Everett may be used in a receivers role more, but we don't really know anything about him just yet. Regardless Davis seems to be out of the picture. Vince Young was also mentioned which is intriguing. I don't think he will be there at number 8, but what if he is? The question then becomes can he do what Losman could not and that is be successful behind a sub-par line? Not likely, possible, but not likely. Because of this I think you have to address where we are weakest and that is still our lines. I by some miracle we could land a Wells or a Neal etc that would be a good upgrade over last year. I hope this is what happens, but things are moving very slowly. So I think we naturally come back to our d line and address that. As has been pointed out Tripp was a good signing, but we need some bulk for him to play along side with. I think we would do ok with either Bunkley or Ngata, but who knows.

lynobx
03-19-2006, 07:40 AM
I hope Vernon Davis can stop the run, because Triplett, Anderson and Edwards (if he's back) are surely going to need some help.

lynobx
03-19-2006, 07:49 AM
Oh. . . and just having signed Royal, a monster blocker, to go with Euhus, an accomplished receiver, and Everett, a more productive college player than Davis, it is inconceivable that we would waste our first round pick on a TE, no matter how highly regarded.