• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kerr
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Last two cheap dt veteran alternatives

Brenston Bucker and Hollis Thomas.
    Both old guys, but could start for at least two years before giving way to a younger player.
    As i've said before, I'd rather they start a vetaran at Dt, instead of a rookie. It's almost too much to ask of a rookie Dt to start and stuff the run when they could be preping for their starting role down the line. DT is too important on defense to take a chance on a rookie. Ngata or Bunkley could be the real deal, but they also could be busts. As insurance, a veteran dt is given the role, and if he fails, perhaps the rookie could surprise and take over. You need to have backup plans at that position.

Anyway, I wonder if Marv is trying to trade for Thomas? Or he could go with Buckner who could fit right in next to Trips.
    Russell Davis already got snatched up by Seattle. I can't stand to see the DT pool keep getting thinner and thinner by the moment.

PS
    Grady Jackson is not an alternative. He's more of a two gapper, which is not a fit for the defense.
  • camelcowboy
    • Mar 2005

Re: Last two cheap dt veteran alternatives

Ill pass on both. If i had a choice it would Thomas

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

Can we get Adams back????

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Mr. Pink
        Peterman Sucks!
        • Mar 2006

Do you think we can bring in Jerry Ball, Tony Siragusa or Gilbert Brown?

Comment

• Bmax
          • Aug 2003

Can you say street free agent Jermaine Hailey....just a guess .....They will find a guy we haven't heard of or wait out Ron Edwards who is still out there...

Bmax

Comment

• Kerr
            Hall of Fame Zoner
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
            Do you think we can bring in Jerry Ball, Tony Siragusa or Gilbert Brown?
            You have a better solution?

Comment

• Kerr
              Hall of Fame Zoner
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
              Can we get Adams back????

Need to understand Adams was let go because he didn't fit the system(two gapper). It wouldn't have been such a big deal that he's old, but he just didn't fit the defense.

Comment

• kgun12
                • Jul 2002

I would take Buckner. He had a good season last year and is healthier than Washington and Adams as far as their knees go. I think him and Tripplett would make a good combination til we groomed a rookie.
                Retired Air Traffic Controller
                USAF VETERAN
                DAV

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

I think it's a foregon conclusion that we will be drafting Bunkley or Ngata. No reason to gnash your teeth about signing another DT.

Now, how we are addressing our OL is another story....

Comment

• Marvelous
                    • Feb 2004

I agree 100% witjh thread starter. A rookie NT/DT isn't as improtant a need as Safety or O-line is. Seems tehre'smore capable DT's every year in FA then lineman. We def need a good NT in the middle but we have no safeties at all and we're playing cover 2 I think we missed Spikes bigtime last year in run support so most of the blame fell on teh dt's... I am against DT with #8 because we can get a more skilled player @ #8 then a NT. I also think Marv knows this.. I wouldn't mind getting Sam Adams back as Pat mentioned doubtful.. We just have so many holes to fill..
                    GO BILLS!!! NE
                    Magical Trevor

Comment

• rockeastwood
                      Overseas Fan
                      • Jan 2006

I didn't even know Buckner was available. Go for it Marv.....

We Don't Need the Best Players! We Need the Right Players! Herb Brooks

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
                        I think it's a foregon conclusion that we will be drafting Bunkley or Ngata. No reason to gnash your teeth about signing another DT.

That's exactly how most should view things. Until Draft day, keep working on the OL. After we pick our DT in Round 1, draft 2 more OL on Day 1 of the draft. A starting Guard in Round 2 is not only possible, it's probable with the depth.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Kerr
                          Hall of Fame Zoner
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ArcticWildMan

Bunkley or Ngata could turn out to be busts. Then what? You missed out on a backup plan whether that player is a starter or an actual backup for ngata or bunkley. You don't want to wait til' draft day to see what's available. All the decent Dt's will have gone already.

Comment

• ICE74129
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Feb 2005

Carolina now has 3 starting DT's on thier team. I say sign Bunkner and STILL Draft Bunkley. We need to have that kind of talent for constant rotation throughout the game. We will have anderson so that helps, but sign another DT and draft one.

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Originally posted by Kerr
                              Bunkley or Ngata could turn out to be busts. Then what? You missed out on a backup plan whether that player is a starter or an actual backup for ngata or bunkley. You don't want to wait til' draft day to see what's available. All the decent Dt's will have gone already.
                              So could Lienert, Super Mario, or even reggie Bush.

It's obvious that we are going to fill our DT need via the draft so there is no need slit your throat waiting for a FA signing of significance on the DL.

Of any position in football, DT is probably the one that is easiest to fill via the draft. I would have preferred we had our Dline already fixed so we could look at safety or even Oline in round one but that isn't going to happen now. I'm not going to jump off the nearest bridge because of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X