PDA

View Full Version : Last two cheap dt veteran alternatives

Kerr
03-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Brenston Bucker and Hollis Thomas.
Both old guys, but could start for at least two years before giving way to a younger player.
As i've said before, I'd rather they start a vetaran at Dt, instead of a rookie. It's almost too much to ask of a rookie Dt to start and stuff the run when they could be preping for their starting role down the line. DT is too important on defense to take a chance on a rookie. Ngata or Bunkley could be the real deal, but they also could be busts. As insurance, a veteran dt is given the role, and if he fails, perhaps the rookie could surprise and take over. You need to have backup plans at that position.

Anyway, I wonder if Marv is trying to trade for Thomas? Or he could go with Buckner who could fit right in next to Trips.
Russell Davis already got snatched up by Seattle. I can't stand to see the DT pool keep getting thinner and thinner by the moment.

PS
Grady Jackson is not an alternative. He's more of a two gapper, which is not a fit for the defense.

camelcowboy
03-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Ill pass on both. If i had a choice it would Thomas

patmoran2006
03-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Can we get Adams back????

Mr. Pink
03-18-2006, 09:59 PM
Do you think we can bring in Jerry Ball, Tony Siragusa or Gilbert Brown?

Bmax
03-18-2006, 10:39 PM
Can you say street free agent Jermaine Hailey....just a guess .....They will find a guy we haven't heard of or wait out Ron Edwards who is still out there...

Bmax

Kerr
03-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Do you think we can bring in Jerry Ball, Tony Siragusa or Gilbert Brown?

You have a better solution?

Kerr
03-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Can we get Adams back????

Need to understand Adams was let go because he didn't fit the system(two gapper). It wouldn't have been such a big deal that he's old, but he just didn't fit the defense.

kgun12
03-19-2006, 01:25 AM
I would take Buckner. He had a good season last year and is healthier than Washington and Adams as far as their knees go. I think him and Tripplett would make a good combination til we groomed a rookie.

ArcticWildMan
03-19-2006, 01:45 AM
I think it's a foregon conclusion that we will be drafting Bunkley or Ngata. No reason to gnash your teeth about signing another DT.

Now, how we are addressing our OL is another story....

Marvelous
03-19-2006, 03:18 AM
I agree 100% witjh thread starter. A rookie NT/DT isn't as improtant a need as Safety or O-line is. Seems tehre'smore capable DT's every year in FA then lineman. We def need a good NT in the middle but we have no safeties at all and we're playing cover 2 :confused: I think we missed Spikes bigtime last year in run support so most of the blame fell on teh dt's... I am against DT with #8 because we can get a more skilled player @ #8 then a NT. I also think Marv knows this.. I wouldn't mind getting Sam Adams back as Pat mentioned :lmao: doubtful.. We just have so many holes to fill..

rockeastwood
03-19-2006, 03:21 AM
I didn't even know Buckner was available. Go for it Marv.....

Night Train
03-19-2006, 07:11 AM
I think it's a foregon conclusion that we will be drafting Bunkley or Ngata. No reason to gnash your teeth about signing another DT.

That's exactly how most should view things. Until Draft day, keep working on the OL. After we pick our DT in Round 1, draft 2 more OL on Day 1 of the draft. A starting Guard in Round 2 is not only possible, it's probable with the depth.

Kerr
03-19-2006, 09:45 AM

Bunkley or Ngata could turn out to be busts. Then what? You missed out on a backup plan whether that player is a starter or an actual backup for ngata or bunkley. You don't want to wait til' draft day to see what's available. All the decent Dt's will have gone already.

ICE74129
03-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Carolina now has 3 starting DT's on thier team. I say sign Bunkner and STILL Draft Bunkley. We need to have that kind of talent for constant rotation throughout the game. We will have anderson so that helps, but sign another DT and draft one.

ArcticWildMan
03-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Bunkley or Ngata could turn out to be busts. Then what? You missed out on a backup plan whether that player is a starter or an actual backup for ngata or bunkley. You don't want to wait til' draft day to see what's available. All the decent Dt's will have gone already.

So could Lienert, Super Mario, or even reggie Bush.

It's obvious that we are going to fill our DT need via the draft so there is no need slit your throat waiting for a FA signing of significance on the DL.

Of any position in football, DT is probably the one that is easiest to fill via the draft. I would have preferred we had our Dline already fixed so we could look at safety or even Oline in round one but that isn't going to happen now. I'm not going to jump off the nearest bridge because of it.

Kenny
03-19-2006, 11:27 AM

It's obvious that we are going to fill our DT need via the draft so there is no need slit your throat waiting for a FA signing of significance on the DL.

Of any position in football, DT is probably the one that is easiest to fill via the draft. I would have preferred we had our Dline already fixed so we could look at safety or even Oline in round one but that isn't going to happen now. I'm not going to jump off the nearest bridge because of it.

Exactly... DT is the easiest position to fill via the draft (or even FA). Which is why I dont like the idea of getting Bunkley or Ngata with the #8.
Sure there's never any way to know if the guy you take will turn out to be a bust, but when we're picking this high we need to go with a player who will make the most impact for this team.

If Super Mario, Brick, and Hawk are all gone (and of course Leinart and Bush too), then count me in for the Vernon Davis bandwagon.

Kerr
03-19-2006, 06:21 PM

There's nothing wrong with hoping on signing a veteran DT, is there flanders?
Nobody is going to jump off a bridge like sheep, but it's risky business to try and put the pressure of stuffing the run on a rookie.

Teams on top of us who draft mario williams, lienart and bush aren't going to instantly put all the pressure on their shoulders. Texans already have dom davis. Jets and Titans(reportedly after leinart) have experienced qb's. Saints and Jets(reportedly after Williams) already have veterans at DE. That's the different. Bills don't have a veteran DT, they have no insurance like those other teams.

Tatonka
03-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Carolina now has 3 starting DT's on thier team. I say sign Bunkner and STILL Draft Bunkley. We need to have that kind of talent for constant rotation throughout the game. We will have anderson so that helps, but sign another DT and draft one.

i agree 100%.

i would love to see buckner here.. he is a high quality guy.. he has not shown any signs of slowing down, and if you put him in a good rotation, with triplett, and a rookie, anderson, and hopefully edwards (if we can resign him).. that would more than satisfy me.. hell, that would be a top Dline in my opinion.

Tatonka
03-19-2006, 07:26 PM
i dont konw why you guys think drafting rookie DTs is the easiest position.. we have not had any real success with anderson, edwards, and bannan.. that is 2 third round picks and a fourth rounder.

and just because you take him in the 1st round doesnt mean he will be that much better.

buckner is and has been a great, not good, but top DT for a long time.. and if you put him in a rotation that could prolong his career even more.. i think he could play 3 more years if he was in a good rotation.. hell, longer if you consider what ted washington is still doing.

i am not against a rookie DT, but i dont want to depend on a rookie DT.

gr8slayer
03-19-2006, 07:29 PM
i dont konw why you guys think drafting rookie DTs is the easiest position.. we have not had any real success with anderson, edwards, and bannan.. that is 2 third round picks and a fourth rounder.

and just because you take him in the 1st round doesnt mean he will be that much better.

buckner is and has been a great, not good, but top DT for a long time.. and if you put him in a rotation that could prolong his career even more.. i think he could play 3 more years if he was in a good rotation.. hell, longer if you consider what ted washington is still doing.

i am not against a rookie DT, but i dont want to depend on a rookie DT.
Good post.

Mr. Pink
03-19-2006, 07:30 PM
You know, you very same people who say NO to other players because of their age then decide to say yes to some of them really have no legs to stand on and are hypocrites. Don't sign player A because he's too old...but Player B is fine.

I don't get it.