PDA

View Full Version : What is the goal of free agency?

kgun12
03-19-2006, 12:08 AM
What is the goal of free agency?

I can see both sides of this arguement. Some of the "name players" are "name players" cause of what they have done so far in their careers, they have a right to ask for the money! On the other hand we are strapped by an owner who doesn't like to give out big signing bonuses, which REALLY does hurt our chances with players because most of the other owners are willing to hand out the cash. So it is up to the GM to get with the coaches and look past the "money players" and find those guys who can play like those "money players" and in 4 years will also become the "money players" I would have loved to have Hutch, Bentley, Randle El and company here, but over the last week I took a step back and realized IT AIN"T GONNA HAPPEN, so let's hole Marv and company do their homework and get it right!

BUT the real question here is what is the goal of free agency? FA isn't about bringing in players to develop, it is about bringing in players to make your team better right now, not in 2 or 3 years. That is what the draft is for.

The only thing we have done so far in FA is bring in players that we have to develop, with the exception of Tripplett and without another experienced player, he will be as effective as Sam Adams was without Pat Williams. As far as the 06 season goes, I think the front office, mainly because RW won't pony up the money has had a horrible off season! 2 million for a TE, hell I would have rather put that money toward a stud at OT/OG or DL and drafted Davis with the 8th pick.

Oh well, let's hope that the players brought in give us hope for 07, but I got to tell you I am getting sick of always waiting for next year!

Mr. Cynical
03-19-2006, 03:55 AM
It depends on who you ask.

A competent FO will say "to make your team instantly better."

An incompetent FO will say "to make it look like your trying to make the team better but in reality are only signing players who will be gone in a year or two without making any impact."

ICE74129
03-19-2006, 09:33 AM
FA isn't about bringing in players to develop, it is about bringing in players to make your team better right now, not in 2 or 3 years. That is what the draft is for.

Really? Who says that? What are the goals that Ralph, Marv and DJ have set out. They know fact. Facts are we arent' going to go out and win a superbowl this year, so start building to be a constant competitive team. That is what this offseason is showing me they are trying to do.

Most of us understand this is a two offseason process. We also understand only 1-2 top fa's 3 or so mid fa's will want to sign here THIS offseason. Honestly Marv is doing well for being as handcuffed as he is thanks to TD.

We will draft well, go to camp and then play the games. Attack FA again next year.

patmoran2006
03-19-2006, 09:43 AM
FA isn't about bringing in players to develop, it is about bringing in players to make your team better right now, not in 2 or 3 years. That is what the draft is for.

Really? Who says that? What are the goals that Ralph, Marv and DJ have set out. They know fact. Facts are we arent' going to go out and win a superbowl this year, so start building to be a constant competitive team. That is what this offseason is showing me they are trying to do.

Most of us understand this is a two offseason process. We also understand only 1-2 top fa's 3 or so mid fa's will want to sign here THIS offseason. Honestly Marv is doing well for being as handcuffed as he is thanks to TD.

We will draft well, go to camp and then play the games. Attack FA again next year.

Hmmm.
SInce we "arent going to go out and win a super bowl this year", that means we dont want guys like Neal or Runyan around here.. Great point. JP may make it to week four without a broken neck.

"We also understand only 1-2 top fa's 3 or so mid fa's will want to sign here." Hmmm.. who are the 1-2 top fa's that signed here? I count ONE mid fa in Triplett. The rest at BEST are role players and depth.. Nothing more.

"Honestly Marv is doing well for being as handcuffed as he is thanks to TD"
Sure, if you call being $14.1 million under the salary cap AFTER you signed Nate Clements and still have Eric Moulds on your roster.. That sounds pretty HANDCUFFED TO ME.

I dont want/need to "Personally Attack" you .. You do a good job of it on yourself everytime you write anything.

kgun12
03-19-2006, 09:50 AM

. We also understand only 1-2 top fa's 3 or so mid fa's will want to sign here THIS offseason. Honestly Marv is doing well for being as handcuffed as he is thanks to TD.

Who say that, the standings will, Cleveland will the Dolphins did this year. Just look at where we went from 2 years ago til now. All of us know we aren't going to win the Super Bowl this year, but do you really think and be honest that any of the guys we brought in will get us there in 2 to 3 years.

We have been saying "We will draft well, go to camp and then play the games. Attack FA again next year for the last 8 years going back to John Butler and his great 1st round pick of A. Smith.

I think we all wish we all had your great knowledge of pro football, but if you think about it, how much more knowledge of it do you have then the rest of us. You post on the same board we do, and like us you don't work for the NFL, so I would call your knowlegde no better or worse, just a difference of opinion, which BTW the statements like "Most of us understand this is a two offseason process" is getting old ICE get over yourself please, the personal attacks are really starting to wear thin!

patmoran2006
03-19-2006, 09:59 AM
* Miami went from 4 wins to 9 in ONE year last year.

* Chicago was 5-11 in 2004 and went 11-5 and made the playoffs one year later.

* Washington was 6-10 in 2004 and went 10-6 and made the playoffs one year later.

* The Giants went 6-10 in 2004 and went 11-5 and made the playoffs one year later.

* Tampa Bay went 5-11 in 2004 and went 11-5 and made the playoffs one year later.

That's not one example.. thats FIVE.

Now, can we for the LOVE of GOD, please stop having to endure this "rebuilding" crap..

Win... NOW.. It was done last year.. by FIVE different teams.

kgun12
03-19-2006, 10:06 AM
* Miami went from 4 wins to 9 in ONE year last year.

* Chicago was 5-11 in 2004 and went 11-5 and made the playoffs one year later.

* Washington was 6-10 in 2004 and went 10-6 and made the playoffs one year later.

* The Giants went 6-10 in 2004 and went 11-5 and made the playoffs one year later.

* Tampa Bay went 5-11 in 2004 and went 11-5 and made the playoffs one year later.

That's not one example.. thats FIVE.

Now, can we for the LOVE of GOD, please stop having to endure this "rebuilding" crap..

Win... NOW.. It was done last year.. by FIVE different teams.

Stop fact will only confuse the issue. Remeber we aren't as smart as them! :curtsey:

Mr. Pink
03-19-2006, 10:56 AM

Facts are with who we've signed so far this offseason we aren't going to win 5 games let alone a superbowl this year. Which of these signings helps the Bills become a constant competitive team? Triplett is the only guy I see that helps towards this, but it's hard to be competitive with anyone when your QB is going to be on his back every play.

In this age of parity, teams can go from bad to good overnight. Every team is so closely packed together that one or two top moves by most teams would put them over the hump. Why do you think Dallas went out to get TO, hoping he was the missing piece in the puzzle. Fact is in the age of free agency most teams cannot afford to keep their nucleus especially if everyone is good, even the Colts lost the Edge.

Buffalo was in the middle of the pack when it came to cap space so to say marv was handcuffed is just a flat out lie. It's obvious you have a glaring distaste for the last regime and a blindingly homer-esque approach to this one.

Out of curiousity, which top free agent did we did bring in anyways?

I seem to have forgot, as did everyone else around here.

Well, there's always next year when we can be the same team and organization in disarray that none of the top free agents will play for and then we can hear yet again....Wait until next year!

kgun12
03-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Facts are with who we've signed so far this offseason we aren't going to win 5 games let alone a superbowl this year. Which of these signings helps the Bills become a constant competitive team? Triplett is the only guy I see that helps towards this, but it's hard to be competitive with anyone when your QB is going to be on his back every play.

In this age of parity, teams can go from bad to good overnight. Every team is so closely packed together that one or two top moves by most teams would put them over the hump. Why do you think Dallas went out to get TO, hoping he was the missing piece in the puzzle. Fact is in the age of free agency most teams cannot afford to keep their nucleus especially if everyone is good, even the Colts lost the Edge.

Buffalo was in the middle of the pack when it came to cap space so to say marv was handcuffed is just a flat out lie. It's obvious you have a glaring distaste for the last regime and a blindingly homer-esque approach to this one.

Out of curiousity, which top free agent did we did bring in anyways?

I seem to have forgot, as did everyone else around here.

Well, there's always next year when we can be the same team and organization in disarray that none of the top free agents will play for and then we can hear yet again....Wait until next year!

Agreed!

To shorten up what you said:

kgun12
03-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Hmmm.
SInce we "arent going to go out and win a super bowl this year", that means we dont want guys like Neal or Runyan around here.. Great point. JP may make it to week four without a broken neck.

"We also understand only 1-2 top fa's 3 or so mid fa's will want to sign here." Hmmm.. who are the 1-2 top fa's that signed here? I count ONE mid fa in Triplett. The rest at BEST are role players and depth.. Nothing more.

"Honestly Marv is doing well for being as handcuffed as he is thanks to TD"
Sure, if you call being $14.1 million under the salary cap AFTER you signed Nate Clements and still have Eric Moulds on your roster.. That sounds pretty HANDCUFFED TO ME.

I dont want/need to "Personally Attack" you .. You do a good job of it on yourself everytime you write anything.

ICE this is what the draft is for! Every other team signs free agents for now and uses the draft to build for the future.