PDA

View Full Version : "Rebuilding"

patmoran2006
03-19-2006, 10:11 AM
This is from a different thread.. I thought it was most DEFINITELY worth its OWN thread...

This is not an opinion, it's a FACT that is directed towards ANYBODY who buys into (year after year) about the most over-used and over-rated word in football.. "Rebuilding"

Re: What is the goal of free agency?

<HR style="COLOR: #f3f3ff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->* Miami went from 4 wins to 9 in ONE year last year.

* Chicago was 5-11 in 2004 and went 11-5 and made the playoffs one year later.

* Washington was 6-10 in 2004 and went 10-6 and made the playoffs one year later.

* The Giants went 6-10 in 2004 and went 11-5 and made the playoffs one year later.

* Tampa Bay went 5-11 in 2004 and went 11-5 and made the playoffs one year later.

That's not one example.. thats FIVE.

Now, can we for the LOVE of GOD, please stop having to endure this "rebuilding" crap..

Win... NOW.. It was done last year.. by FIVE different teams.

Nighthawk
03-19-2006, 10:14 AM
This is from a different thread.. I thought it was most DEFINITELY worth its OWN thread...

This is not an opinion, it's a FACT that is directed towards ANYBODY who buys into (year after year) about the most over-used and over-rated word in football.. "Rebuilding"

<HR style="COLOR: #f3f3ff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->* Miami went from 4 wins to 9 in ONE year last year.

* Washington was 6-10 in 2004 and went 10-6 and made the playoffs one year later.

* The Giants went 6-10 in 2004 and went 11-5 and made the playoffs one year later.

* Tampa Bay went 5-11 in 2004 and went 11-5 and made the playoffs one year later.

Now, can we for the LOVE of GOD, please stop having to endure this "rebuilding" crap..

I hear ya, it has been done by many teams in the past, but it isn't the approach the Bills are taking...whether you like or not. Yes, it can be aggravating, but there is nothing you can do about it. I'm actually starting to believe that Marv is doing the things he's doing to aggravate you...j/k. :;

OpIv37
03-19-2006, 10:19 AM
I hear ya, it has been done by many teams in the past, but it isn't the approach the Bills are taking...whether you like or not. Yes, it can be aggravating, but there is nothing you can do about it. I'm actually starting to believe that Marv is doing the things he's doing to aggravate you...j/k. :;

you have to question the wisdom of "building for the future" in the age of FA and salary caps though. It's very difficult to keep a team together for more than 2-3 years before FA and the cap get in the way. So far, NE, and to a lesser extent Indy, are the only teams that have done it effectively.

Jersey1031
03-19-2006, 10:20 AM

It's the baggage that comes with being a Bills fan..I still love them!

justasportsfan
03-19-2006, 10:21 AM

So what's the bills record this season? Oh wait , it hasn't even started .

The_Philster
03-19-2006, 10:22 AM
So what's the bills record this season? Oh wait , it hasn't even started .
are you sure...cause from the tone of some of the posts, I could swear we went 0-16

Nighthawk
03-19-2006, 10:22 AM
you have to question the wisdom of "building for the future" in the age of FA and salary caps though. It's very difficult to keep a team together for more than 2-3 years before FA and the cap get in the way. So far, NE, and to a lesser extent Indy, are the only teams that have done it effectively.

yep, I agree. I didn't say I agree with the way Marv is doing it, but it is what it is.

patmoran2006
03-19-2006, 10:27 AM
2-14 because we'll beat Miami.. twice (just for you Bing)

justasportsfan
03-19-2006, 10:31 AM
2-14 because we'll beat Miami.. twice (just for you Bing)

that's easily achieved by putting in our 2nd and 3rd string D. We all know how Moolarkey reacts against them.

patmoran2006
03-19-2006, 10:37 AM
I hope we beat Miami on a two-yard pass from JP to Shelton on the last play of the game.

Mularkey will NEVER see that coming... BTW.. Off the topic, but when did you become CERTAIN that Mularkey was a bum coach?

For me it was his first year, week three at Miami.(pretty sure it was week three). When Henry threw the half-back option pass.. in the RED ZONE.

Mr. Pink
03-19-2006, 11:09 AM
I hope we beat Miami on a two-yard pass from JP to Shelton on the last play of the game.

Mularkey will NEVER see that coming... BTW.. Off the topic, but when did you become CERTAIN that Mularkey was a bum coach?

For me it was his first year, week three at Miami.(pretty sure it was week three). When Henry threw the half-back option pass.. in the RED ZONE.

I think I became certain Mularkey was a bum coach when he turned that bum Kordell Stewart into a pro-bowler. I hate the squealers.

!Papacrunk!
03-19-2006, 11:20 AM
When Henry threw the half-back option pass.. in the RED ZONE.
Picked off by Pat Surtain on the 2-3 yard line.
:couch:

Even though no one will agree or hope the same thing on this board, but hopefully Mularkey has gotten all of those boneheaded plays out of his system if not:
1.) us Phins fans who don't get tired of bashing Wanny, can have someone new to be our scapegoat
2.)Bills will instantly have 2 wins
Win win for all right, lol

Drive 4 Five
03-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Rebuilding for the future, when done successfully, will keep your team competitive longer. Those teams you've named, they'll be back in the dumps as qucikly as they came on.

Drive 4 Five
03-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Especially the Dolphins.

Mr. Pink
03-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Rebuilding for the future, when done successfully, will keep your team competitive longer. Those teams you've named, they'll be back in the dumps as qucikly as they came on.

Meanwhile we're sitting in the dumps now for the better part of 6 seasons with no light at the end of the tunnel. But I guess that's fine right? We've just been rebuilding the proper way for 6 years.

!Papacrunk!
03-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Especially the Dolphins.
Very possible, who knows what will happen, hopefully the ride is fun a long the way

Dr. Lecter
03-19-2006, 11:31 AM

So you are saying the Bills are in the same situation as those teams? Or that the Bills have no chance of improvement in 2006. (I also assume you evaluated all of those teams in the first week of FA last season and gave them A++++'s and they all signed 10 or more top notch FA guys in that first week).

patmoran2006
03-19-2006, 11:34 AM

BTW, none of these teams had a great QB last year either.. SO JP Losman being young is no excuse.. The Bears did it with Kyle Orton most the year.. Miami with Gus Ferrote, Tampa with Sims, Giants with Eli and the Skins' with Brunnel, all 64-years of him.

DraftBoy
03-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Pat these teams did not just have this amazing turnaround through just FA. In fact with most of these teams it was the current players jelling and a draft pick coming up huge.

Miami-Rookie: Ronnie Brown
Chicago-Rookie: Kyle Orton
New York: Player Jelling: Eli Manning
Washington: Player Jelling: Clinton Portis
Tampa Bay: Rookie: Alex Smith

I cant remeber any of these teams making huge FA pickups aside from NYG get Plaxico. Im sure Washington did. But I dont think FA had any kind of a big factor in their turnarounds.

Mr. Pink
03-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Pat these teams did not just have this amazing turnaround through just FA. In fact with most of these teams it was the current players jelling and a draft pick coming up huge.

Miami-Rookie: Ronnie Brown
Chicago-Rookie: Kyle Orton
New York: Player Jelling: Eli Manning
Washington: Player Jelling: Clinton Portis
Tampa Bay: Rookie: Alex Smith

I cant remeber any of these teams making huge FA pickups aside from NYG get Plaxico. Im sure Washington did. But I dont think FA had any kind of a big factor in their turnarounds.

Miami turning it around via running back had just as much to do with Rickey Williams coming back and performing to old levels as Ronnie, which Rickey came from another organization.

Chicago won in spite of Kyle Orton not because of him and their top running back of the year was also from another organization Thomas Jones. Also they signed Mushin Muhammad who made them have a legitimate wide receiver.

Giants brought in Plaxico which you admit. And Eli learning the NFL system.

Portis was brought in via trade with Denver for Champ Bailey and Shawn Springs was a FA signing to replace Champ the year prior. Santana Moss was brought in via trade for Coles.

Tampa Bay-Alex Smith had little or nothing to do with their turn-around, Griese was a free agent signing, Cadillac had the most to do with their turnaround on offense, but when he got hurt a backup orginally from TB took over the reins.

Point is, all these teams have picked up other teams good players in order for them to be good themselves. Not just picked up also-rans and scrubs via free agency and then won just due to their own abilities to draft and use FA to fill depth. Meanwhile here at OBD our trades are a draft pick for Mark Campbell.

patmoran2006
03-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Miami turning it around via running back had just as much to do with Rickey Williams coming back and performing to old levels as Ronnie, which Rickey came from another organization.

Chicago won in spite of Kyle Orton not because of him and their top running back of the year was also from another organization Thomas Jones. Also they signed Mushin Muhammad who made them have a legitimate wide receiver.

Giants brought in Plaxico which you admit. And Eli learning the NFL system.

Portis was brought in via trade with Denver for Champ Bailey and Shawn Springs was a FA signing to replace Champ the year prior. Santana Moss was brought in via trade for Coles.

Tampa Bay-Alex Smith had little or nothing to do with their turn-around, Griese was a free agent signing, Cadillac had the most to do with their turnaround on offense, but when he got hurt a backup orginally from TB took over the reins.

Point is, all these teams have picked up other teams good players in order for them to be good themselves. Not just picked up also-rans and scrubs via free agency and then won just due to their own abilities to draft and use FA to fill depth. Meanwhile here at OBD our trades are a draft pick for Mark Campbell.

Good point.. At some point all these teams went beyond "character" players.. Maybe we will, but I dont see when, how or with who.