PDA

View Full Version : Idonije.. Projected Starter?

patmoran2006
03-19-2006, 11:09 AM
Bears | More on offer sheet for Idonije
Sun, 19 Mar 2006 06:06:19 -0800
<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/148">Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times (http://www.kffl.com/link/149), reports restricted free agent DL Israel Idonije (http://www.kffl.com/player/7418/nfl) (Bears) signed a four-year offer sheet believed to be worth $7.5 million, including a $1.6 million signing bonus with the Buffalo Bills (http://www.kffl.com/team/9/nfl). The Chicago Bears (http://www.kffl.com/team/11/nfl) have a week to decide whether to match the offer and retain him. The Bears (http://www.kffl.com/team/11/nfl) will not receive any draft-pick compensation should they not match the Bills' offer.

======================================================
Is it me.. OR does this seem to be an awful lot of money for a player, UNLESS we plan on using him as our starting DT opposite Tripplett?? Maybe Ferrel sees this guy as athletic and a good fit as a starter. I have no problem with this contract offer, if thats the case.

I find it hard to fathom that this orginization can pay out a $1.6 million bonus and nearly two million a year for yet ANOTHER BACKUP.

If I'm correct .. Shows me that its no lock they are taking Ngata with that first pick..

But If I'm wrong and they are going to pay this much money to ANOTHER DEPTH/BACKUP/CHARACTER PLAYER..and then STILL draft a DT first when our OLINE is awful.. Then this restructured FO is a joke

The_Philster
03-19-2006, 11:17 AM
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/397248

I can't say as I'm impressed..I figured him as a backup

patmoran2006
03-19-2006, 11:20 AM
That's TOO Much money for ANOTHER BACKUP..

BillsFever21
03-19-2006, 11:22 AM
Midas well sign another backup for 2 million a year. That's the routine at OBD this year.

If only we could get some starters we will have great depth. The bad thing is we won't be able to pay for them good starters because all of our money is tied up in backups making 2 million a year.

The_Philster
03-19-2006, 11:25 AM
That's TOO Much money for ANOTHER BACKUP..
yeah...stuff like that was a problem that Butler had :ill:

patmoran2006
03-19-2006, 11:26 AM
This team is running its operation BACKWARDS.

The DRAFT on day-TWO should be used to find quality depth at a cheaper price and you get the majority of your starters through FA.

We're using FA to get BACKUP DEPTH and what are we gonna use the draft to get a bunch of ROOKIE starters??

confusing.. shakin my head.

patmoran2006
03-19-2006, 11:30 AM
For the record..

I have no problem with us paying this money to Idonije, IF our new defensive coaches see the guy as a starter at end.. Maybe an upgrade in their eyes over Kelsay?

But that's really horrible if they're going to pay this much to a RFA if he's here for depth purposes.

djjimkelly
03-19-2006, 11:56 AM
guys u need to get 2 mil a season out of your heads as alot of moneyits under 2% of our cap. this year. in 2-3 years when cap goes to 130 mil or hell 160 like they say by 2010. 2 mil a season will be same as 750K was in 2004. these are not crazy deals. they just sound crazy becuz we all make in the 30-150K range.

DraftBoy
03-19-2006, 12:01 PM
I must say that I completely disagree with Phil in this case, I believe his stats speak volumes. The kid was 4th in the DE rotation behind Brown, Ogluneye, and Haynes. For him to get the stats he had an the playing time he received as a DE those are pretty incredible stats.

Idonije-played in 11 games 16tackles and 1 sack=1.4tack .09sack/Per Game

Kelsay-Started 16gms 25tackles and 2.5 sacks= 1.5tack .15sack/Per Game

These stats are extremely comparable and the kid only played in 11 games and did not start any. Kelsay played and started in all 16 games and put up piss poor numbers. The kid has talent and I think he could be a huge steal. I could see him as an immediate starter. Also lets not forget he is 2 inches taller than Kelsay which will give us more of a pass blocker DE. We have to look deeper than the surface when we are evaluating unknown talent. Yea just to glance at his stats they dont look special but when you factor in the games he played in, that he didnt start any games, and was 4th in a DE rotation. His stats all the sudden appear so much better.

SquishDaFish
03-19-2006, 12:07 PM
The cap went up so min deals of 2 years ago went up. 750,000-1.5M have gone up and now are 1.5 M - 2,000,000 It sounds like alot but in reality with the new increase in cap the increase in pay went up for ALL the players not just the stars.

Tatonka
03-19-2006, 12:15 PM
I find it hard to fathom that this orginization can pay out a $1.6 million bonus and nearly two million a year for yet ANOTHER BACKUP.

before you waste any more damn tears crying.. try doing some math man.. rofl.. you guys kill me.

7.5 million - 1.6 million SB = 5.9 million

5.9 million over 4 years = 1.475 million a year.

is 1.5 million dollars = to 2 million a year? why not say it is equal to 1 million a year? because it doesnt serve your whiny ass agenda.. that is why.. it is harder to complain about something unless you make the numbers lean your way.

the minimum salary for a vet is now just under a million.. so get used to seeing these types of numbers.

i swear to god.. the amount of ****ing whining is just unbelievable.. do you have any ****ing idea how the deal is set up? he could have minimum salaries for a few years, and if he doesnt pan out, he gets cut and we take a very small cap hit..

i mean seriously.. if the ****ing bills DONT sign someone, you cry.. if they DO sign someone, you cry... the only way to make you stop the endless string of new threads that involve pissing and moaning is to sign EXACTLY the guys that you want us to sign.. and in your grand judgement, that would be an old ass RIGHT TACKLE that gives up 7 sacks in 9 games, which is worse than what we currently have..

for **** sakes.. it is just unbelievable how unbearable it has gotten just to read this board.. and it is due to endless threads that are identical to this one, by the same damn people.

:calm:

justasportsfan
03-19-2006, 12:22 PM
This team is running its operation BACKWARDS.

The DRAFT on day-TWO should be used to find quality depth at a cheaper price and you get the majority of your starters through FA.

We're using FA to get BACKUP DEPTH and what are we gonna use the draft to get a bunch of ROOKIE starters??

confusing.. shakin my head.

You don't even know if he's gonna be a back up and yet you're saying it's too much money?

Amazing, you whine that we're not offering enough and now it's too much?

Wow. BZ is soon gonna be underwater due to your tsunami tears.

John Doe
03-19-2006, 12:31 PM
i mean seriously.. if the ****ing bills DONT sign someone, you cry.. if they DO sign someone, you cry... the only way to make you stop the endless string of new threads that involve pissing and moaning is to sign EXACTLY the guys that you want us to sign.. and in your grand judgement, that would be an old ass RIGHT TACKLE that gives up 7 sacks in 9 games, which is worse than what we currently have..

for **** sakes.. it is just unbelievable how unbearable it has gotten just to read this board.. and it is due to endless threads that are identical to this one, by the same damn people.

It had to be said.

Vanilla Thunder
03-20-2006, 12:08 PM
he must not be too bad. i found this on si.com

The Bears on Monday will have further internal discussions on whether to match the four-year, $8.2 million offer sheet that defensive end Israel Idonije signed with Buffalo. The Bears are leaning toward doing so.
-- Chicago Tribune

Mitchy moo
03-20-2006, 12:13 PM
they just sound crazy becuz we all make in the 30-150K range.

I bet the average person on this board makes $30,000 @ most. That's ~$600 a week or $15 an hour. I don't think they raised the hourly rate much past that in Buffalo have they?

TigerJ
03-20-2006, 01:57 PM
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/397248

I can't say as I'm impressed..I figured him as a backup

He has very little football background. That explains his relative lack of playing time and production over the first three years of his NFL career. He sounds like an excellent athlete though. It could be that Fewell, Jauron, and Levy feel he's just about ready to blossom into a big time player. They could be right, but there's always a risk in this kind of aquisition.

Saratoga Slim
03-20-2006, 02:10 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion that Perry Fewell might have SOME F-IN IDEA WHETHER Isreal Idonije is worth the money we just offered. I mean, it's not like OBD is going on stats or film here fellas. Fewell watched this guy in practice every day last year, and WANTS HIM HERE. smart money says that we're not bringing him in as depth.

ParanoidAndroid
03-20-2006, 02:30 PM
before you waste any more damn tears crying.. try doing some math man.. rofl.. you guys kill me.

is 1.5 million dollars = to 2 million a year? why not say it is equal to 1 million a year? because it doesnt serve your whiny ass agenda.. that is why.. it is harder to complain about something unless you make the numbers lean your way.

the minimum salary for a vet is now just under a million.. so get used to seeing these types of numbers.

i swear to god.. the amount of ****ing whining is just unbelievable.. do you have any ****ing idea how the deal is set up? he could have minimum salaries for a few years, and if he doesnt pan out, he gets cut and we take a very small cap hit..

This gets a standing "O" from me!!!! Great post!!!

THATHURMANATOR
03-20-2006, 03:17 PM
I bet the average person on this board makes $30,000 @ most. That's ~$600 a week or $15 an hour. I don't think they raised the hourly rate much past that in Buffalo have they?
I make more that this sir.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-20-2006, 05:19 PM

Thank you for saying this, T!

excellent post :clap:

Tatonka
03-20-2006, 07:32 PM
i am not saying i dont complain about some of the moves.. but i am not going to **** on every player they sign..

matt bowens has had a very good season at safety before.

andre davis has shown that when he is healthy, he can be a good player.. you dont score 11 tds in 2 years if you suck.

josh reed has been a whipping boy because he had one bad season and that stigma sticks with him to this day, but he looked good last year.

nall has played sparingly, but has showed that in very limited opportunities, he can play.. his 4tds and 0 ints shows something.. it is a lot better than what shane matthews has shown.

royal, i could do without, only because i want davis.

but the bottom line is that all the guys we have signed are young and hungry. i dont have a ****ing crystal ball and i cant say that they wont be a good fit here. sometimes all a guy needs is a chance.. tom brady is a perfect example of that.

do i expect that kind of success from all of them? no.. but NONE of them are making ridiculous money.. some are making more money than we are used to seeing, but that is simply because the cap is so much higher and minimum salaries are so much higher. we just need to get over it..

my only complaint is that we havent addressed the oline more.. but there is some signs of them trying, with wells.. and neal coming in..

the offseason is not over yet.

as long as the dont make completely obvious bad moves, like trading a first round pick at qb for a second day pick after only giving him 8 games to prove he is a great player.. when history shows that most qbs dont suceed in their first full year, let alone half a year.

Earthquake Enyart
03-21-2006, 07:23 AM
Idonije is a nice, high motor kinda guy. Things happen when he's on the field, but Tommy Harris, Tank Johnson, and others are ahead of him. He's a good special teamer too.

The Bears have a lot of cap room, and have everyone signed already, so it would not surprise me if they matched.