PDA

View Full Version : Brought up in another thread Verba a possibility?

Mr. Pink
03-19-2006, 12:59 PM
We've so far noticed that in this free agency period by the lack of bringing in top name proven NFL players that this regime isn't too keen on the idea of spending the big bucks to bring players in.

So why not take a look at Ross Verba who would be an instant contributor on this offensive line? He's not the best tackle in the NFL even though he did try to claim to be at one time. And yes he's sat for over a year without playing which might turn some of you off.

However, when you don't have anyone better at the position already and you don't have any better prospective players at the position knocking your door down why not?

Being that he's sat for a year he's leverage in any contract demands would be minimal, he could literally be brought in for a year at veteran minimum in which he'd have to prove himself over again. It could be a smart and wise pickup at this time in efforts to strengthen up our porous offensive line.

I'll also address the character issues of said player. In another thread the poster said his character issues were gambling and partying. Oh no, we've all indulged in either one of these two activities at some point. Neither are illegal and as long as neither effect his play on the field, who cares.

Just a thought, seeing what everyone else thinks of this idea.

patmoran2006
03-19-2006, 01:13 PM
I will take ANYTHING at this point right now via FA that is an IMPROVEMENT at any position over what we had last year.. You cant "fix" or "plug" 5-6 positions though the draft.

the ONLY improvement we have over last year so far is Triplett, and thats ONLY if you compare him to the second DT spot.

FlyingDutchman
03-19-2006, 01:18 PM
his age, and the fact that hes missed a year is enough for me to say no, unless he signed for the league minimum so we could cut him if he sucked.

patmoran2006
03-19-2006, 01:22 PM
I dont like Verba either.. I"m not sure he's much better than Gandy anyway.

I'll take a HIGH RISK guy if he's a HIGH REWARD guy.. Some might think thats stupid.. but that's just how I am.. Maybe I'd get burned, I dunno..

That's why I would have taken TO in a second.. This isnt a TO thread, I'm just using an example.

But I wouldnt take Verba.. To me anyway, the risk isnt worth the potential reward.. I dont see him that much better than Gandy.

Buffalogic
03-19-2006, 01:57 PM
his age, and the fact that hes missed a year is enough for me to say no, unless he signed for the league minimum so we could cut him if he sucked.
That's pretty much where I stand.

I don't know, maybe Verba has had time to reflect on that move he made last offseason. If he comes cheap, why not give him a shot?

gr8slayer
03-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Old and wants too much money. That along with taking a year off is not a good combination.

ICE74129
03-19-2006, 05:23 PM
Old and wants too much money. That along with taking a year off is not a good combination. Agreed 100% and his attitude was an issue as well.