PDA

View Full Version : more info on josh reed

Tatonka
03-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Bills | Reed was considering Carolina
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 06:57:11 -0800

Allen Wilson, of the Buffalo News, reports Buffalo Bills WR Josh Reed was giving consideration to signing with the Carolina Panthers before he re-signed with the Bills. "Mr. (general manager Marv) Levy, head coach (Dick) Jauron and Josh's receivers coach Tyke Tolbert called and reassured him they were going to have a different offense, and with (offensive coordinator) Steve Fairchild coming over from the Rams, he would have a legit chance to step up and be far more productive."

again.. i am really glad we kept him.. i still have faith that he will be a good wr.. and losman really likes him.

The_Philster
03-19-2006, 03:24 PM
The fact that JP has a good rapport with him is a good sign. If they didn't have the chemistry they do have, I'd've let him go. That being said, I do think he got more than warranted.

patmoran2006
03-19-2006, 03:26 PM
count me among the few who likes his return as well Tatonka.

I think he's taken too long but I do see upside and JP clearly trusts him.

My only problem is if we dont do something between now and september to make this OL 60% better.. He's never going have to time to throw to him, unless its a 5-yard slant on 3rd and 14..

FIX the God-damn line and JP, Willis, Evans and Reed will better off for it!

I'm with you on Reed here

gr8slayer
03-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Im more than happy with the re-signing. I have liked Reed since day one. Its great tos ee a WR that can run block.

Yasgur's Farm
03-19-2006, 03:39 PM
I'm trilled with his signing... Aside from the 2004 season, his percentage of dropped passes has only been just over 5%... A very respectable stat. TO wishes he could say the same.

His stats for catches resulting in 1st downs is even more impressive.

patmoran2006
03-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Well .. I wouldnt go that far..

Through four years. Josh Reed has only been consistent, about being inconsistent..

but I think we all agree that he hasnt played his best football yet.. Good call on Marv's end to bring him back.. I think for the MONEY he was better than the second tier or WR's on the FA market.. Randle El, Caldwell, etc.

YardRat
03-19-2006, 03:42 PM
I'm glad Reed stayed...he redeemed himself to a certain point, last year.

ICE74129
03-19-2006, 03:54 PM
again.. i am really glad we kept him.. i still have faith that he will be a good wr.. and losman really likes him.

More and more this hints of JP being set up to win the 'competition'

Jersey1031
03-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Does this signing mean we don't draft a WR at all??

YardRat
03-19-2006, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't, unless there's someone that you just can't pass up on Day 2.

Yasgur's Farm
03-19-2006, 04:02 PM
I still think we take a WR with our 2nd round.

Jersey1031
03-19-2006, 04:02 PM
I really like Aiken, I want us to sign him back, he's a great special teamser...

Yasgur's Farm
03-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Aiken's already been tendered.

Jersey1031
03-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Aiken's already been tendered.

No ESPN says he's untendered, a RFA.
http://sports-att.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=buf

The_Philster
03-19-2006, 04:33 PM
No ESPN says he's untendered, a RFA.
http://sports-att.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=buf
no...it says he's a RFA....he's tendered...which means he was offered a contract...he just hasn't signed one

Jersey1031
03-19-2006, 04:39 PM
no...it says he's a RFA....he's tendered...which means he was offered a contract...he just hasn't signed one

Ok, sorry. I hope he signs back, which is what I said the first time. "I hope we sign him back," needing offer and signature...

Yasgur's Farm
03-19-2006, 04:52 PM
You do know how this RFA thing works... don't you?

Jersey1031
03-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Yea, I made a mistake, my bad.

Mr. Pink
03-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Want to know some more info on Josh Reed? He's a former second round pick that has never lived up to his billing. A former Biletnikoff award winner who never has done anything to warrant his 2nd round selection as a pro.

Here's some more 2nd round receivers who have had more productive seasons in their career than our own Josh Reed. Other 2nd Round receivers that VERY same year who have shown they belong in the NFL, Antwaan Randle El, Antonio Bryant and Deion Branch. BTW Andre Davis was also selected in this draft and round, too bad instead of two bust receivers they couldn't have one of the good receivers. As much as everyone dislikes Randle el from what I've seen on this board, Antonio Bryant was available and he also was a 1000 yard receiver last year in Cleveland.

Now on to other receivers in this draft who were/are as bad as Reed. Jabar Gaffney even he's on a new team now, and I'd rather have him over Reed. Tim Carter-long since an after thought with the Giants. Andre Davis traded by cleveland and subsequently not given a contract by New England. Reche Caldwell who seemingly has little to no interest by anyone.

Those are facts. Dispute them as much as you want. Defend his resigning as much as you want. Truth of the matter the Bills should have cut the cord on this underachieving never was. He makes one boneheaded play-drops a pass and he's done for the game because he lacks.....MENTAL TOUGHNESS. Mental Toughness used to be the huge buzzword for this organization, but they never did do anything about it. Seemingly the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Yasgur's Farm
03-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Want to know some more info on Josh Reed? He's a former second round pick that has never lived up to his billing. A former Biletnikoff award winner who never has done anything to warrant his 2nd round selection as a pro.

Here's some more 2nd round receivers who have had more productive seasons in their career than our own Josh Reed. Other 2nd Round receivers that VERY same year who have shown they belong in the NFL, Antwaan Randle El, Antonio Bryant and Deion Branch. BTW Andre Davis was also selected in this draft and round, too bad instead of two bust receivers they couldn't have one of the good receivers. As much as everyone dislikes Randle el from what I've seen on this board, Antonio Bryant was available and he also was a 1000 yard receiver last year in Cleveland.

Now on to other receivers in this draft who were/are as bad as Reed. Jabar Gaffney even he's on a new team now, and I'd rather have him over Reed. Tim Carter-long since an after thought with the Giants. Andre Davis traded by cleveland and subsequently not given a contract by New England. Reche Caldwell who seemingly has little to no interest by anyone.

Those are facts. Dispute them as much as you want. Defend his resigning as much as you want. Truth of the matter the Bills should have cut the cord on this underachieving never was. He makes one boneheaded play-drops a pass and he's done for the game because he lacks.....MENTAL TOUGHNESS. Mental Toughness used to be the huge buzzword for this organization, but they never did do anything about it. Seemingly the more things change, the more they stay the same.Try these facts (http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/playerstats.asp?yr=P&id=05922) on for size.

Mr. Pink
03-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Try these facts (http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/playerstats.asp?yr=P&id=05922) on for size.

Alright try these stats http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/306271 Gaffney

Yet no one would care if their team signed him and know why? He's a 2nd to 3rd tier WR in the NFL. Which is why the Texans didn't care to keep him, the stat lines these guys produce is not indicative of where they were selected nor validate their selection. They are what they are average NFL players.

Tatonka
03-19-2006, 06:49 PM
I'm trilled with his signing... Aside from the 2004 season, his percentage of dropped passes has only been just over 5%... A very respectable stat. TO wishes he could say the same.

i think that that is the biggest misconception about reed.. he did have a bad 2004 season.. but he played extremely well last season. and his rookie year as well.. but people just have those dropped passes in their mind as the only thing he has done.

Kerr
03-19-2006, 11:42 PM
I can't say i'm totally against reed coming back. It's not like there were many alternatives left out there. True he's had an up and down career thus far in the nfl, but the guy is still young so he has time to salvage his career with a new coaching staff and new offense. It's also strange to me that they brought him back as a potential #2. This offense is based on speed and reed is not a speed demon, but he is quick. I suppose they only plan on using him on underneath routes or short routes to try and again more yards after the catch. That's the best role for him in the offense. He's not going to burn anyone. Anyway, I'm hoping he reaches that point in his career where he can be counted on as a #2 receiver.

vicmantak
03-20-2006, 03:31 AM
Reed is arguably a player on the rise but the problem is that we strongly feel that he is really overpaid.
On the other hand, if Bills FO was so high on Reed it should have been way before.

Bill Brasky
03-20-2006, 07:19 AM
#2 money for a guy that isn't even worth #3 money. That is my gripe. "We've got no money" yet they can pay this guy like he's Lee Evans

TedMock
03-20-2006, 07:26 AM

His case of "the dropsies" was really only in the first half of 2004. For some reason people still harp on him dropping passes. Right now, his biggest attribute is his run-blocking which is excellent. I think this is a solid signing. I don't dispute, however, that he may have gotten a little bit too much.