PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins reach deal with former Giants CB Allen

Jersey1031
03-19-2006, 06:32 PM
The Miami Dolphins continued their aggressive approach to upgrading their starting lineup by reaching a four-year, $12 million deal with Giants cornerback Will Allen. Included in the deal are guarantees of $5 million.

Allen, 27, a five-year starter with the Giants, gives the Dolphins a corner who can also help on run support.

Allen picked the Dolphins over the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday. The Seahawks made a competitive bid that in some ways had a better structure than the Dolphins' offer, but Allen decided to stay on the East Coast instead of moving west. The Kansas City Chiefs also had Allen in for visit.

A native of Syracuse, N.Y., Allen attended Syracuse University and has been on the East Coast all his life. The Giants selected him in the first round of the 2001 draft, 22nd overall.

The signing with the Dolphins was a little ironic because they cut Sam Madison to open the starting job Allen has a chance to earn. Madison ended up signing with the Giants and taking Allen's place on their roster.

The Dolphins also reached a $1.5 million a year agreement with Chargers tight end Justin Peelle. The length of the contract wasn't known.

Jersey1031
03-19-2006, 06:35 PM
the fins spending continues...

ZacGriffi~82
03-19-2006, 06:44 PM
haha..good.

Al13
03-19-2006, 06:46 PM
our offseason becomes better and better, now with this signing we really can go BPA on draft day with our 1st pick

Nighthawk
03-19-2006, 06:47 PM
The Miami Dolphins continued their aggressive approach to upgrading their starting lineup by reaching a four-year, $12 million deal with Giants cornerback Will Allen. Included in the deal are guarantees of $5 million.

Allen, 27, a five-year starter with the Giants, gives the Dolphins a corner who can also help on run support.

Allen picked the Dolphins over the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday. The Seahawks made a competitive bid that in some ways had a better structure than the Dolphins' offer, but Allen decided to stay on the East Coast instead of moving west. The Kansas City Chiefs also had Allen in for visit.

A native of Syracuse, N.Y., Allen attended Syracuse University and has been on the East Coast all his life. The Giants selected him in the first round of the 2001 draft, 22nd overall.

The signing with the Dolphins was a little ironic because they cut Sam Madison to open the starting job Allen has a chance to earn. Madison ended up signing with the Giants and taking Allen's place on their roster.

The Dolphins also reached a $1.5 million a year agreement with Chargers tight end Justin Peelle. The length of the contract wasn't known.

That's a pretty good signing, that will help out their secondary...one of the places that the Phins need help.

Tatonka
03-19-2006, 07:09 PM
allen got burnt more than toast in new york.

ICE74129
03-19-2006, 07:32 PM

Exactly. the happiest person in the AFC is Lee Evans at that signing.

Bling
03-19-2006, 07:38 PM

He's insurance. We already have Travis Daniels as a starter. Allen and Poole will duke it out for the other CB position. Maybe Allen needed a new scenerario, Poole needs some time to heal. With the even more pressure the Dolphins will get on the QB this year, I don't think we need a top CB to play. We'll manage.

ICE74129
03-19-2006, 07:39 PM
He's insurance. We already have Travis Daniels as a starter. Allen and Poole will duke it out for the other CB position. Maybe Allen needed a new scenerario, Poole needs some time to heal. With the even more pressure the Dolphins will get on the QB this year, I don't think we need a top CB to play. We'll manage.

Hell you need to fit that entire crew with Fire ******ant jerseys

Tatonka
03-19-2006, 08:22 PM

that was hilarious.

:roflmao:

Bling
03-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Assuming Lee Evans' leg doesn't snap in half.../

Bling
03-19-2006, 08:35 PM

ICE74129
03-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Assuming Lee Evans' leg doesn't snap in half.../ Wow, that post was so bad you had to do it twice?

Jersey1031
03-19-2006, 08:44 PM

What's that supposed to mean??

Bling
03-19-2006, 08:48 PM
What's that supposed to mean??

The guy destroyed his legs at Wisconsin.

feelthepain
03-19-2006, 10:07 PM
Another Dolphin signing that sucks. I can't wait to hear about how Arrington or Peterson suck if we sign one of them.

Crisis
03-19-2006, 11:56 PM
The guy destroyed his legs at Wisconsin.

...But Pep destroying his last year has no relevance compared to someone who blew his out 3-4 years ago. :xmas:

Samphin1
03-19-2006, 11:59 PM
Allen won't set the world on fire (no pun intended), but it is a nice, solid signing. I think Saban is looking for guys who have yet to tap their full potential when it comes to the secondary. He has a lot of young guys who have either bene labeled busts, injury prone or flat out written off as no good.

Saban's specialty happens to be the seoncdary so I have a pretty good feeling he can coach these guys up. If Daniels continues to hit hard and tackle effectively and Will Poole can stay on the field and cut back on penalties from his rookie season, we should be solid with our starting cb's. Will Allen provides and young, experienced cb who can run with any wideout in the league and also gives us depth in the defensive backfield.

He, along with the likes of Yermiah Bell, Shirdonya Mitchell, Sideeq Shabazz and others will be looking to make a name for themselves under Saban. I still wouldn't be surprised to see Saban draft a safety/cb in the draft either. It is a deep draft this year and someone in the third round sounds about right.

feelthepain
03-20-2006, 12:22 AM
Allen won't set the world on fire (no pun intended), but it is a nice, solid signing. I think Saban is looking for guys who have yet to tap their full potential when it comes to the secondary. He has a lot of young guys who have either bene labeled busts, injury prone or flat out written off as no good.

Saban's specialty happens to be the seoncdary so I have a pretty good feeling he can coach these guys up. If Daniels continues to hit hard and tackle effectively and Will Poole can stay on the field and cut back on penalties from his rookie season, we should be solid with our starting cb's. Will Allen provides and young, experienced cb who can run with any wideout in the league and also gives us depth in the defensive backfield.

He, along with the likes of Yermiah Bell, Shirdonya Mitchell, Sideeq Shabazz and others will be looking to make a name for themselves under Saban. I still wouldn't be surprised to see Saban draft a safety/cb in the draft either. It is a deep draft this year and someone in the third round sounds about right.

I think our secondary is solid, not the best, but solid and we could draft a corner at 16. I see this as more of a possibility because we don't have a second anymore. I also agree Saban will coach up the young players in the secondary, we are also still getting younger. If we sign either Arrington or Peterson we will add another younger player to the D.

AndreReed83
03-20-2006, 12:27 AM
I'm not one of those guys that flames the signings of my team's rivals (ie: my stance on Culpeppor) just because my team's rival signed that player. But as Tatonka said, Will Allen got burnt more than toast last season. At times, he looked like a Freshman in college trying to cover the wideouts of a reigning National Championship team. Fugly.

dplus47
03-20-2006, 12:44 AM
I'm not one of those guys that flames the signings of my team's rivals (ie: my stance on Culpeppor) just because my team's rival signed that player. But as Tatonka said, Will Allen got burnt more than toast last season. At times, he looked like a Freshman in college trying to cover the wideouts of a reigning National Championship team. Fugly.

the phins had some cats on the field last year that would make the "freshman in college trying to cover the wideouts..." (etc.) look like he has a pretty good grip on the position. i'm not gonna say that allen is going to be great or anything. he sounds a lot like madison lately (inconsistent), but with fewer penalties.

it's funny how the phins and giants basically traded corners they were unhappy with. maybe the change of scenery will do both some good. saban's specialty is teaching DB's; maybe that'll help allen. i think madison will bounce back in NY to prove a point...

feelthepain
03-20-2006, 12:46 AM
I got this on FinHeaven,

last five years:

Madison
tackles-212
passes def.-53
INT-10

Will Allen
tackles-288
passes def.-69
INT-8

Madison is a solid veteran corner, Allen has better numbers over the same stretch. Allen is younger ,faster and a better tackler. I think it's an upgrade.

feelthepain
03-20-2006, 12:49 AM
the phins had some cats on the field last year that would make the "freshman in college trying to cover the wideouts..." (etc.) look like he has a pretty good grip on the position. i'm not gonna say that allen is going to be great or anything. he sounds a lot like madison lately (inconsistent), but with fewer penalties.

it's funny how the phins and giants basically traded corners they were unhappy with. maybe the change of scenery will do both some good. saban's specialty is teaching DB's; maybe that'll help allen. i think madison will bounce back in NY to prove a point...

I'm not sure Saban was upset with Madisons play, but it is strange how most of the players here from JJ and Wanny era, are being shown the door. Both corners in two years?? Saban's makin a statement. We are getting younger all the way around.

dplus47
03-20-2006, 01:02 AM
I'm not sure Saban was upset with Madisons play, but it is strange how most of the players here from JJ and Wanny era, are being shown the door. Both corners in two years?? Saban's makin a statement. We are getting younger all the way around.

i think you're right about saban and madison. madison's run support had to get to saban, though. that is one area of allen's game that has supposedly gotten better over the years: run support. that's a must. and "getting younger," as you say, is also a good thing. i wish they could have kept surtain last year, but that's water under the bridge...