PDA

View Full Version : Something that gets me about that Center Bentley.

ICE74129
03-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Everyone is griping about not signing him. Ok so...he was New Orleans Center right? Didn't they do WORSE than us this year?

'But ICE....he was a great center on a bad TEAM'. Exactly. And if he came here right now, he would be a great center on a bad team.

Apperantly having bentley didn't do much for the Saints now did it?

So taking up about 43% of your available cap room on ONE player, regardless of how good he is, isn't a good thing? Hummmmm....

Bill Brasky
03-19-2006, 08:02 PM
that team had no defense and half the offense was injured all year, including McAllister.

That is like taking Willis the of our lineup last year, and the Bills QB situation was even worse than NO's.

Bentley could have helped this team tremendously. He can play G or C, which would have given the Bills more leeway to work on targeting more linemen, or maybe shuffeling a few guys around.

Not to mention, he could have been a building block. He would have been a good guy to rebuild a line around, and would have given the FO one less position to worry about.

ICE74129
03-19-2006, 08:26 PM
that team had no defense and half the offense was injured all year, including McAllister.

And we had no defense either

That is like taking Willis the of our lineup last year, and the Bills QB situation was even worse than NO's.

Bentley could have helped this team tremendously. He can play G or C, which would have given the Bills more leeway to work on targeting more linemen, or maybe shuffeling a few guys around.

Bentley said he would never play guard. It was center or nothing

Not to mention, he could have been a building block. He would have been a good guy to rebuild a line around, and would have given the FO one less position to worry about.

Again Bentley on the Saints = a worse record than we had. One player won't do it esp when he eats up 43% of your available cap. You cant' win this arguement. It's simple fact, when you have several needs you don't overpay for one or two names. You always fail. Cleveland had more than enough cap room for him and more. If we went into this season with 28-35 mill in cap room, you can bet Marv would have been on the phone with hutchenson or the tackle from Atlanta and or Bentley.

TacklingDummy
03-19-2006, 08:29 PM
So what your saying is, we should sign a bad center from a bad team? How we gonna get better if the Bills don't sign better talent?

Bling
03-19-2006, 08:32 PM
You do realize you just admitted to having a defeatist attitude. Instead of trying to succeed, you'd rather Ralph Wilson keep his money to go buy himself some more hoes.

ICE74129
03-19-2006, 08:39 PM
So what your saying is, we should sign a bad center from a bad team? How we gonna get better if the Bills don't sign better talent?

What did bentley do for a bad team? Nothing. Guess what? We're a bad team. Build up the team over two offseasons with mid tier guys and FA's THEN sign a guy like Bentley that can help be the difference between making the playoffs or not. We arent' there yet.

gr8slayer
03-19-2006, 08:47 PM
"Build up the team over two off-seasons"

Weve been building for the past freaking seven seasons. Its time to produce results.

TacklingDummy
03-19-2006, 08:47 PM
And we will never get there signing has beens like Andre Davis, Robert Royal.

Teams are built thru the draft, FA is to plug holes.

gr8slayer
03-19-2006, 08:48 PM

Weve been building for the past freaking seven seasons. Its time to produce results.

ICE74129
03-19-2006, 09:04 PM

MARV hasn't been building over 7 seasons. Barely over 7 days...

ICE74129
03-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Lets see, NEW GM (New being the operative word) is taking over a team that tom donahoe built. That team went 31-49 over 5 years. That is about 6-10 on average.

So Marv is taking over a really crappy team. He can't help the fact TD screwed us royally trying to sign aging NAME players. Tons of cap room making signings that appeased the fans.

Oh wait, you mean the same types of signings that the fans are *****ing and whining we arent' making now. Huh? Interesting. Marv isn't repeating Tom Donahoe's mistakes? What a concept!

How about we give marv a full offseason or two. He understand the fans are tired of the last 6 years of futility, but the man can only do so much about it...esp only in free agency for barely over a week.

ICE74129
03-19-2006, 09:14 PM
And we will never get there signing has beens like Andre Davis, Robert Royal.

Teams are built thru the draft, FA is to plug holes.

Yeah the team really got there signing TKO, Adams, Posey, Milloy, Vincent, Etc right? I think doing it that way got us a 31-49 record. How about we let marv do it the RIGHT way.

Bill Brasky
03-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Again Bentley on the Saints = a worse record than we had. One player won't do it esp when he eats up 43% of your available cap. You cant' win this arguement. It's simple fact, when you have several needs you don't overpay for one or two names. You always fail. Cleveland had more than enough cap room for him and more. If we went into this season with 28-35 mill in cap room, you can bet Marv would have been on the phone with hutchenson or the tackle from Atlanta and or Bentley.

So you are saying Bentley did nothing for a bad team? How many Saints games did you watch last year other than the Bills one?

That is like saying Takeo Spikes did nothing for a bad team this past season, or before that, either. Neither did Nate Clements, but the Bills had enough to franchise him.

Willis did nothing for a bad team last year as well. As did Lee Evans, Eric Moulds, Lawyer Milloy, or Troy Vincent.

Stop saying the Bills didn't or don't have cap room. They shelled out huge money for a backup TE and a WR who won't go past 3rd on the depth chart. They signed 2 useless guys when they could've used the money to sign one of the best OL in the game.

And since you seem to think you can tell people what they are and aren't capable of... you need to stop using the word "we" when referencing the Bills... you don't work for the Bills.

ICE74129
03-19-2006, 09:36 PM
So you are saying Bentley did nothing for a bad team? How many Saints games did you watch last year other than the Bills one?

That is like saying Takeo Spikes did nothing for a bad team this past season, or before that, either. Neither did Nate Clements, but the Bills had enough to franchise him.

Willis did nothing for a bad team last year as well. As did Lee Evans, Eric Moulds, Lawyer Milloy, or Troy Vincent.

Stop saying the Bills didn't or don't have cap room. They shelled out huge money for a backup TE and a WR who won't go past 3rd on the depth chart. They signed 2 useless guys when they could've used the money to sign one of the best OL in the game.

And since you seem to think you can tell people what they are and aren't capable of... you need to stop using the word "we" when referencing the Bills... you don't work for the Bills.

WE don't have enough cap room. (I will say WE when I damn well please). WE can't afford a 6 mill cap hit when WE only have 14 mill to spend.

Marv is doing it right.

As for as your comments about TKO helping blah blah blah....31-49 over 5 years and no playoffs. So apperantly they didn't help that much huh? You guys ***** about how we are such a bad team, well they were part of it right?

Bottom line the TEAM needs an upgrade. That means filling many holes. Overspending for a couple name players is NOT the way to make the TEAM better.

WE understand that.

That Guy
03-19-2006, 09:45 PM
Everyone is griping about not signing him. Ok so...he was New Orleans Center right? Didn't they do WORSE than us this year?

'But ICE....he was a great center on a bad TEAM'. Exactly. And if he came here right now, he would be a great center on a bad team.

Wow. That might be the worst logic in the history of thinking.

Bill Brasky
03-19-2006, 09:49 PM
Bottom line the TEAM needs an upgrade. That means filling many holes. Overspending for a couple name players is NOT the way to make the TEAM better.

But overspending for scrubs will help the Bills get to the promised land?

They could have "overspent" for Bentley, instead of "overspending" for a backup TE at 2/mill a year. Keep in mind this guy couldn't even land the starting job on one of the WORST offenses last year.

They also "overspent" for a guy that dropped pass after pass after pass for THIS offense the last few years to the tune of 12 million. Let me try to rationalize how stupid the Reed signing was...

Many of you guys think Moulds isn't worth anywhere near 7-10 million. They signed Reed at 3-4 million a year, for catching a little over 100 passes in 3 seasons. Compare that to Moulds who consistantly grabs 80-90 balls a season. Factor his salary based on what the Bills paid Reed and Moulds should be making 9-12 million a year because he puts out 3 times the production that Reed does.

If they used the $ they spent on Reed, Davis, and Royal, they could have signed Bentley. If Bentley stays healthy, he will make more of a difference for Cleveland than all 3 of those guys combined.

camelcowboy
03-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Bentley wanted to go home to cleveland, i don't think we could have changed his mind.

Bill Brasky
03-19-2006, 09:57 PM
Bentley wanted to go home to cleveland, i don't think we could have changed his mind.

I'm sure Edge didn't have Arizona as his first choice, but :zb: and persistance can change anything.

camelcowboy
03-19-2006, 09:59 PM
Yeah, but the home team also pulled the brinks truck up to his front door. Win win, I wouldn't be happy if we paid him anymore then cleveland, it would be to much.

kgun12
03-19-2006, 10:38 PM

So taking up about 43% of your available cap room on ONE player, regardless of how good he is, isn't a good thing? Hummmmm....

For a guy who has a master plan to get the city of Buffalo back on it feet this post makes no sense!

Your right on a bad team one linemen isn't going to make them better, however why would stop there and where are you getting the 43% from. Bentley the # 1 rated center in FA signed a contract that will pay him 2.6 million for the first 3 years. So if we signed him for that we should be able to sign another linemen (Neal, Wells) for about the same or less money, seeing that Bentley was the #1 center. So 2.6 and 2.6 is 5.2 million now for 2 quality linemen were are at about 33% of the Bills 16 million. If you add Tripplett's money (five-year, $18 million contract that included a $5.5 million signing bonus) that's roughly 3 million a year. 5.2 +3 =8.2 million, about 50% of our cap. Sign a good compliment for Tripplett and there go another 3 milllion 8+3= 11 million. Now that leaves 5 million to find a WR wait we have one sitting on the team right now even with his 10 million we still have 5 to play with! Need a safety go get who ever you want. Still have money to sign Davis, and Royals. Look at that in the first week of FA I have gotten 2 OL and 2 DL, S, WR and Moulds is still here. Need money for the Draft, cut Moulds just free up 5 million, which by the way now I can draft who ever I want, cause I have fill the major holes throught FA, which is what it is for. The draft builds for the future. This is the way most other teams do it! That's how teams turn around using FA. NFL people say it all the time, there is no rebuilding anymore, unless your the Bills!

If we think like you one OL isn't going to help we will always be 5-11!

kgun12
03-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Yeah, but the home team also pulled the brinks truck up to his front door. Win win, I wouldn't be happy if we paid him anymore then cleveland, it would be to much.

His contract pays him 2.6 million for the 1st 3 years!

dplus47
03-19-2006, 11:47 PM

i would amend your final sentence to include the words "for the next ten years" at the end.

Mr. Pink
03-20-2006, 12:24 AM
BTW....Bentley, Shaffer and Jurevicious count for a grand total of.....

7.1 million dollars against Clevelands cap. Now I realize we weren't getting Joe, he was the one guy who did actually want to play for cleveland and cleveland alone. But Bentley was also courted by the Eagles, Cleveland just ponied up more guaranteed money to get him.

So there's 2 OL and a WR for 7.1 million against the cap....I believe Buffalo at the start of free agency had DOUBLE that available to spend, so we could be sitting here with Bentley and Shaffer on the roster if the brass decided to pony up a little extra in terms of guaranteed money up front. Just a thought.

kgun12
03-20-2006, 12:41 AM

7.1 million dollars against Clevelands cap. Now I realize we weren't getting Joe, he was the one guy who did actually want to play for cleveland and cleveland alone. But Bentley was also courted by the Eagles, Cleveland just ponied up more guaranteed money to get him.

So there's 2 OL and a WR for 7.1 million against the cap....I believe Buffalo at the start of free agency had DOUBLE that available to spend, so we could be sitting here with Bentley and Shaffer on the roster if the brass decided to pony up a little extra in terms of guaranteed money up front. Just a thought.

Good point, I made the same point with the last post of the 1st page. But if Buffalo tries to sign these type of players we will break the bank!

So for 7.1 million Cleveland gets, Bentley Shaffer and Jurevicious and for about the same money we got S Matt Bowen; WR Andre' Davis; TE Robert Royal; DT Larry Tripplett.

Which group make you want to go out and buy season tickets!

Bill Brasky
03-20-2006, 03:19 AM

"WE CAN'T SIGN EVERYONE".... "FREE AGENCY IS ONLY A WEEK OLD"... "WE DON'T NEED TO OVERSPEND FOR LINEMEN WHEN WE CAN OVERSPEND FOR BACKUPS!"

Some just don't get it.

Bills easily could have had these guys. They dropped the ball, plain and simple. Guarentee that Cleveland improves while the Bills stay at the same level, or probably even regress depending on how they draft.

TedMock
03-20-2006, 07:04 AM

I'm not going after your post, but I'd like to add that we NEVER, EVER, NEVER, EVER had a chance of landing Bentley. Does anybody watch NFL Network anymore? The guy was lobbying for the Browns to sign him from day one. Like Jurevicous, he's from Ohio. It was widely reported that Joe J. was offered greater contracts but chose the Browns to be back in his home state. Does anybody realistically think that one of the top 2 OL in the entire FA market signed a friendly deal because that's the best he could get? People need to stop *****ing about things that are 100%, totally, completely, out of the control of the Buffalo Bills organization.

ICE74129
03-20-2006, 07:07 AM
"WE CAN'T SIGN EVERYONE".... "FREE AGENCY IS ONLY A WEEK OLD"... "WE DON'T NEED TO OVERSPEND FOR LINEMEN WHEN WE CAN OVERSPEND FOR BACKUPS!"

Some just don't get it.

Bills easily could have had these guys. They dropped the ball, plain and simple. Guarentee that Cleveland improves while the Bills stay at the same level, or probably even regress depending on how they draft.

You need a break like your buddy Pat.

Bill Brasky
03-20-2006, 07:16 AM
it's funny how 90% of this board disagrees with you.

kgun12
03-20-2006, 07:18 AM
it's funny how 90% of this board disagrees with you.

But he's right J don't you know that yet?

ICE74129
03-20-2006, 07:21 AM
The only people that disagree with me are a VERY *****y and vocal minority. It's the same 5 guys over and over and over.

Bill Brasky
03-20-2006, 07:22 AM
The only people that disagree with me are a VERY *****y and vocal minority. It's the same 5 guys over and over and over.

:rofl: what board are you reading?

kgun12
03-20-2006, 07:25 AM

ICE isn't this what we are suppose to do here start a thread and discuss it, weather we agree or disagree? How much fun would it be if we (god forbid) agree with everything you posted?

ICE74129
03-20-2006, 07:30 AM
The problem is you guys ***** and moan every post, every thread, every minute of every day.

And you should agree with me, I'm right.

Bill Brasky
03-20-2006, 07:34 AM
and you defend your boyfriend marv every post, every thread, every minute of the day.

this team could sign stephen hawking and you'd consider it the move of the century.

kgun12
03-20-2006, 07:35 AM
The problem is you guys ***** and moan every post, every thread, every minute of every day.

Now that's funny! I would rep you, but you have the family for that! :blowkiss:

kgun12
03-20-2006, 07:39 AM

Look ICE I would love all these guys to pan out, but over the last 6 yeas we have signed these types and it has made me afraid to trust that it is going to work this time!

Stewie
03-20-2006, 08:53 AM

I usually disagree with you, because your observations are usually short sighted and your inferences moronic.

I don't usually take the time to let you know.

BillsFever21
03-20-2006, 09:06 AM
This is a joke. Unless you bring in some good players the team won't get better to even have the chance of bringing in big time FA's.

That's like saying that Torry Holt or Orlando Pace wouldn't help a team. The Rams sucked last year so if they wern't good enough to make the Rams contenders then what's the sense of bringing them in.

You will never get better bringing guys like Robert Royal and Matt Bowen on your team to be your starters along with some of the other previous losers from their other team.

With all the money we spent on these guys who won't make a major difference we could've given that money to some great players that will make a difference. Them guys could've been had in the middle rounds of the draft for 500k a year. Instead we're gonna pay them 2 million a year.

Oh and Bentley won't even cost the Browns 3 million dollars for this years cap. Royal and Bowen combined will cost as much as someone like Charles Bentley will on the cap. Who will contribute more to help you become a better team?

patmoran2006
03-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Yeah the team really got there signing TKO, Adams, Posey, Milloy, Vincent, Etc right? I think doing it that way got us a 31-49 record. How about we let marv do it the RIGHT way.

1- WE had the 2nd best defense in the NFL two of the past three years.. I think we can all be in agreement the Bills went 31-49 because of ONE main reason; Donahoe's neglect of the offensive line in Free AGency..

Marv's signed how many starting linemen so far?

2- What Math class did you take that Bentley would take up 43% of the salary cap. He got $36 million over six years and a $12 million dollar signing bonus. His cap number this year is counting just under $3 million dollars. Unless the 2006 salary cap was set at $7.5 millon for the Bills, that doesnt add up to 43% for me.

3- You call me a whiner.. Maybe you're right. But what's worse than that is the "woe is me" stance you take for this football team. You have proven over the past 48 hours this team has NO chance of being any good at all for at least the next few years. You think Bentley being a center on a bad team means he wouldn't have been a franchise lineman for us, that's absolutely crazy.

IF that's the case, by your theory I cant even FATHOM how bad Nall must be, being a third string QB on a team even worse than Buffalo.

You sat here yesterday and typed out WHY a good free agent won't come to Buffalo. IF that's "woe is me" I dont know what is. marv levy is the gm and he also has to be a salesmen. The Buffalo Bills are the product and he has to sell the product.

If he cant sell the product to quality players, then he should have never been the general manager to begin with.

patmoran2006
03-20-2006, 09:24 AM
Also, maybe you should go back into the Archives here BEFORE Free Agency started and rethink what you just said about Bentley.

justasportsfan
03-20-2006, 09:27 AM

So taking up about 43% of your available cap room on ONE player, regardless of how good he is, isn't a good thing? Hummmmm....that's like saying we shouldn't have hired TKO who's team was worse than we were.

Saratoga Slim
03-20-2006, 09:33 AM
Bentley was not coming here, period. He wanted to play in Cleveland. It would have taken a lot more than Cleveland gave him to come to Buffalo.

Hutchinson got a ridiculous offer that arguably no guard should receive. I would have been pissed if we gave him a contract like Minnesota did.

Kevin Shaeffer.....is more debatable. we could have probably worked him in with the cap space we have. On paper you'd think he fit in with Marv's current plan of grabbing young players with upside, so I'm a little surprised that it didn't seem like we even looked at him. BUT, you can be damn sure the Bills did look at him on film etc. If we didn't even bring hiim in for an interview, its b/c 1) the staff didn't think he's really that great or 2) we have another plan for tackle.

My point is, its dumb to ***** about Bentley and Hutchinson not getting any love from Marv, and Shaeffer isn't an exciting enough propsect to lose any sleep over.

what other OL's are left in FA that we missed out on? Mawae and Fabini. Both old, short term fixes. Fabini coming off a serious injury.

I agree with what we're doing. It would have been nice to see a big name lineman brought in, but I don't think we really missed out on anyone out there this offseason. Marv is building a SYSTEM, which is the way you win consistently nowadays. Overpaying for a big name quick fix that leaves you in cap trouble two years down the line is not a part of that system, thankfully enough.

Pats are in danger of losing some big contributors on their OL (Neal, Ashworth), but do you see them leaping into the market with a huge contract for Huthinson? Nope. They do it right. granted they're in a different place than we are right now, but they apply a consistent approach to building their program. I'm inclined to say its the way to go, specially when we're not winning the SB this year anyway. Build up the foundation through smart talent investments. Next year we should have more cap space (from what I understand), and perhaps we can throw a big contract at a star or two to patch up any leaks remaining after this season and make a real run in 2007.

patmoran2006
03-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Bentley was not coming here, period. He wanted to play in Cleveland. It would have taken a lot more than Cleveland gave him to come to Buffalo.

Hutchinson got a ridiculous offer that arguably no guard should receive. I would have been pissed if we gave him a contract like Minnesota did.

Kevin Shaeffer.....is more debatable. we could have probably worked him in with the cap space we have. On paper you'd think he fit in with Marv's current plan of grabbing young players with upside, so I'm a little surprised that it didn't seem like we even looked at him. BUT, you can be damn sure the Bills did look at him on film etc. If we didn't even bring hiim in for an interview, its b/c 1) the staff didn't think he's really that great or 2) we have another plan for tackle.

My point is, its dumb to ***** about Bentley and Hutchinson not getting any love from Marv, and Shaeffer isn't an exciting enough propsect to lose any sleep over.

what other OL's are left in FA that we missed out on? Mawae and Fabini. Both old, short term fixes. Fabini coming off a serious injury.

I agree with what we're doing. It would have been nice to see a big name lineman brought in, but I don't think we really missed out on anyone out there this offseason. Marv is building a SYSTEM, which is the way you win consistently nowadays. Overpaying for a big name quick fix that leaves you in cap trouble two years down the line is not a part of that system, thankfully enough.

Pats are in danger of losing some big contributors on their OL (Neal, Ashworth), but do you see them leaping into the market with a huge contract for Huthinson? Nope. They do it right. granted they're in a different place than we are right now, but they apply a consistent approach to building their program. I'm inclined to say its the way to go, specially when we're not winning the SB this year anyway. Build up the foundation through smart talent investments. Next year we should have more cap space (from what I understand), and perhaps we can throw a big contract at a star or two to patch up any leaks remaining after this season and make a real run in 2007.

I'm not *****ing about Marv giving any love to Bentley.. Bently was NOT coming to Buffalo, I' aware of this. I can't believe that even ICe would HINT that because Bentley played on a crap team that he wouldn't have been a franchise center/guard for us.

BillsFever21
03-20-2006, 09:58 AM

Either this or the young players with upside the Bills want to bring in are the cheap ones Ralph Wilson is willing to pay for. Not the proven good young players with upside that might cost some money to acquire.

There's a big difference from bringing in young players with upside that have already proven to be good then trying to pass off these signings of young players with upside. The difference is ours have never done anything and will come cheap. The proven ones will cost money.

I think the root of the problem is more Ralph Wilson instead of Marv Levy. I don't believe for one second an 81 year old GM would wanna wait around and try to build up a team of scrubs. He's trying to do the best he can with the money Wilson will allow him to spend.

Ralph Wilson is the problem. As long as he is the owner this franchise will be behind the 8-Ball. Like Cynical stated earlier, we have 7 winning seasons out of 35 years for this franchise. Wilson has always been a penny pincher. That's why we keep getting cheap bums as coaches instead of paying the money to get a real coach in here.

You would think that paying good money for somebody to run a multi million dollar operation would be the way to go. Is it worth saving some money on help to run a million dollar business?

That would be like having an expensive sports car but putting cheap used parts in the car. You still have that expensive sports car but it's not gonna run as good with all the cheap parts in it.

patmoran2006
03-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Either this or the young players with upside the Bills want to bring in are the cheap ones Ralph Wilson is willing to pay for. Not the proven good young players with upside that might cost some money to acquire.

There's a big difference from bringing in young players with upside that have already proven to be good then trying to pass off these signings of young players with upside. The difference is ours have never done anything and will come cheap. The proven ones will cost money.

I think the root of the problem is more Ralph Wilson instead of Marv Levy. I don't believe for one second an 81 year old GM would wanna wait around and try to build up a team of scrubs. He's trying to do the best he can with the money Wilson will allow him to spend.

Ralph Wilson is the problem. As long as he is the owner this franchise will be behind the 8-Ball. Like Cynical stated earlier, we have 7 winning seasons out of 35 years for this franchise. Wilson has always been a penny pincher. That's why we keep getting cheap bums as coaches instead of paying the money to get a real coach in here.

You would think that paying good money for somebody to run a multi million dollar operation would be the way to go. Is it worth saving some money on help to run a million dollar business?

That would be like having an expensive sports car but putting cheap used parts in the car. You still have that expensive sports car but it's not gonna run as good with all the cheap parts in it.

Good point.. TOo much marv hating going on when this is Wilson's fault more than anything.

I think marv can get the job done, if you give him the budget.

Saratoga Slim
03-20-2006, 10:33 AM

I don't disagree with you, there are definately times when you have to pony up and shell out the cash to get some true standouts on your roster. My point is that THIS offseason, I don't really think we were faced with the correct opportunities to do that on the offensive line. Thus, while I'm disappointed that we haven't found the OL help that we desparately need, I also don't think that Marv and company have necessarily made the wrong decisions on the available Free agent OL talent thus far.

patmoran2006
03-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Ice
How long have you followed football on a serious level? Just wondering.

According to your theory here: no team in the NFL should want to pay Eric MOulds big money via trade as he played for a loser of a team, no?

Yet every other thread you have is in regards to Eric Moulds having trade value. His cap number is three times the size of Bentley's, and he's 33.