PDA

View Full Version : It's way past time...

lordofgun
03-20-2006, 07:34 AM
...for Holcomb to be released.

He is NOT a backup. He will never be happy at backup, and will always fight to be the starter. That exact thing happened last year when he had one good game and said he hoped it was good enough to convince the coaches he should start.

We need a Frank Reich-type (and we may have that in Nall), who will be content at #2, but is capable when called upon.

Holcomb is one of those QBs who is never happy at #2, but not talented enough to be #1. These types of QBs will always divide the locker room, and Marv needs to send a message that this won't be tolerated by releasing Holcomb NOW.

kgun12
03-20-2006, 07:36 AM

He is NOT a backup. He will never be happy at backup, and will always fight to be the starter. That exact thing happened last year when he had one good game and said he hoped it was good enough to convince the coaches he should start.

We need a Frank Reich-type (and we may have that in Nall), who will be content at #2, but is capable when called upon.

Holcomb is one of those QBs who is never happy at #2, but not talented enough to be #1. These types of QBs will always divide the locker room, and Marv needs to send a message that this won't be tolerated by releasing Holcomb NOW.

Agree 100%

Michael82
03-20-2006, 07:37 AM
Excellent Post, LOG! I completely agree! :bf1:

I hope that the Nall signing is the first step towards Holcomb being cut. :pray:

jmb1099
03-20-2006, 07:38 AM
Yup

THE END OF ALL DAYS
03-20-2006, 07:55 AM
As my first official act as Grand Potentate in exile of the Buffalo Bills, I hereby appoint LordofGun as new GM/Coach/Grand Pubaa of my team.

His first decision to release Holcomb is proof that my choice is correct.

:)

Bill Brasky
03-20-2006, 08:06 AM
Excellent Post, LOG! I completely agree! :bf1:

I hope that the Nall signing is the first step towards Holcomb being cut. :pray:

I sort of disagree.

I think the signing of Nall leads to Losman being cut. The Milwaukee newspapers have gone on record saying that Nall "will compete for the starting job".

In addition, other reports indicate that Marv and some of the coaching staff have been overheard discussing their lack of confidence in Losman and that it will be a completely open competition - winner take all sort of thing.

If Losman has a bad camp he could be on the cutting block. They already know what the have in Holcomb. Nall has nothing to lose, really. They DON'T know what they have in JP - is he improving, can he get the job done, is he a franchise QB, etc - if he doesn't show those types of things in camp I could see them demoting Losman on the bench or even possibly dumping him eventually.

I've said it a ton of times before, this season will define Losman and his role, or lack there of, with this franchise.

clumping platelets
03-20-2006, 08:06 AM
Kelly Holcomb or bust

Michael82
03-20-2006, 08:11 AM
I sort of disagree.

I think the signing of Nall leads to Losman being cut. The Milwaukee newspapers have gone on record saying that Nall "will compete for the starting job".

In addition, other reports indicate that Marv and some of the coaching staff have been overheard discussing their lack of confidence in Losman and that it will be a completely open competition - winner take all sort of thing.

If Losman has a bad camp he could be on the cutting block. They already know what the have in Holcomb. Nall has nothing to lose, really. They DON'T know what they have in JP - is he improving, can he get the job done, is he a franchise QB, etc - if he doesn't show those types of things in camp I could see them demoting Losman on the bench or even possibly dumping him eventually.

I've said it a ton of times before, this season will define Losman and his role, or lack there of, with this franchise.
WTF...this kind of stuff really pisses me off. He only had 9 ****ing games experience. How the hell could that be enough to make them give up on him!??! If they cut him before the season starts, I will be PISSED.

mybills
03-20-2006, 08:13 AM
Wouldn't JP be a better trade value than Holcomb? I think JP is gone.

Bill Brasky
03-20-2006, 08:29 AM
WTF...this kind of stuff really pisses me off. He only had 9 ****ing games experience. How the hell could that be enough to make them give up on him!??! If they cut him before the season starts, I will be PISSED.
I know. I really have no clue what direction this franchie is headed, and I'm pretty sure the front office is operating under the same assumptions!

Losman has sucked, but he's only had 9 games.... 8 of of which were pretty rough. The guy deserves a season as the full-time starter to show everyone what he's got, or doesn't have.

This season is already a lost cause, they're not going to the playoffs. Let Losman take the snaps and prove his case, otherwise, he's gone after the season, IMO.

mysticsoto
03-20-2006, 08:30 AM
Personally, I think nobody is gone. We need 3 QBs. Remember last year when Holcomb got hurt. We need to have 3 QBs on our roster. Teams frequently charge after QBs and they are in a position to get hurt. I don't know how good Nall is, but I don't think that means that anyone else should be gone. And I disagree that we should get rid of Holcomb. I don't feel he is starter material, but I feel he is alot like Alex Van Pelt. A good backup to have. He is not going to win many games on his own, but he is not going to be AJ Feely and be completely lost either.

I had thought the Bills would give Woodbury (currently in NFL Europe) a chance, but this signing likely means that he will not become a 3rd string QB. Which means he will have to try and become a bill by other means. Wasn't he a WR also? I wonder if he should start working on that skillset instead. I remember Woodbury as being tough and able to play good STs. If he can come in at a different position, maybe he could be more valuable elsewhere. But right now, the chances are looking slim...

mybills
03-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Myst - the FO has hinted that one of them will be cut.

Bill Brasky
03-20-2006, 08:33 AM
I had thought the Bills would give Woodbury (currently in NFL Europe) a chance, but this signing likely means that he will not become a 3rd string QB.

I know, this confuses me even more. They've got 2 guys competing for the starting job. Woodbury is there, he's emergency QB. They had 3 guys. Why waste "what little cap space we have" on another QB when it is not a need position. WTF are they thinking? :huh: :mad:

justasportsfan
03-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Myst - the FO has hinted that one of them will be cut.Holcomb.

Marv would be stupid to cut JP who isn't costing us too much cap space but has a lot of potential.

Bill Brasky
03-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Another thing to keep in mind. Remember when Davis signed he said a big reason why he signed with the Bills was because of Kelly Holcomb. Maybe their ideal QB is a guy who plays like Holcomb (pocket passer) oppossed to Losman who is rambunctious at times, more of a gunslinger type... and though Holcomb isn't the long-term solution, they might keep him a year or two and draft "their guy" at QB as oppossed to TD's guy? Maybe they want to start tailoring an offense around that type of QB? Who freakin knows, at this point I'm completely lost with any rationale they are displaying.

And to make it worse they're virtually setting him up to fail by not improving the line. At this point in time the line is WORSE than it was last year, if that's even possible.

mybills
03-20-2006, 08:42 AM
Holcomb.

Marv would be stupid to cut JP who isn't costing us too much cap space but has a lot of potential.
But they still need to address the line, and JP would make good trade bait. Don't you think?

Night Train
03-20-2006, 08:43 AM

Couldn't agree more.

Maybe Marv will try and get a draft pick for him, even a 7th rounder. If no one bites, he'll release him after the draft.

justasportsfan
03-20-2006, 08:44 AM
But they still need to address the line, and JP would make good trade bait. Don't you think?he's not worth much in the open market. Might as well keep him.

mybills
03-20-2006, 08:48 AM
I think he's worth more than Holcomb, is all I'm saying.

BillsFever21
03-20-2006, 08:50 AM
Hopefully this will spell the end of the Holcomb era but I doubt it.

Just like LOG stated, he isn't good enough to be a #1 starter on a weekly basis but he thinks he is. He isn't satisfied as a #2 and will backstab whoever he needs for that opportunity as a starter.

He's had 6 years and couldn't even do it with Cleveland and all the junk that's passed down through that team since 1997.

justasportsfan
03-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Actually Mybills, Jp could be gone.

Remember Marv said he would try to keep Moulds? Getting rid of JP would be one way of convincing Moulds to stay. Maybe they were just waiting to hire JP's replacement first. Makes you wonder why Moulds hasn't been cut or traded yet huh? I'm sure Moulds would rather have KH playing qb.

BillsFever21
03-20-2006, 08:53 AM
I'm fine with this guy coming in to compete with Losman. We need Holcomb out of the picture though. At least this guy is young and hasn't proven to be a career backup.

He's done good in him limited backup roles. For what his use will be this is a good signing and I'm curious to see how he does. Please for the love of god get rid of Holcomb though.

mybills
03-20-2006, 08:59 AM
Actually Mybills, Jp could be gone.

Remember Marv said he would try to keep Moulds? Getting rid of JP would be one way of convincing Moulds to stay. Maybe they were just waiting to hire JP's replacement first. Makes you wonder why Moulds hasn't been cut or traded yet huh? I'm sure Moulds would rather have KH playing qb.

This does make sense. hmmm, I wonder. :tap:

lordofgun
03-20-2006, 09:00 AM
Stay out of my thread, mybills. :mad:

mybills
03-20-2006, 09:01 AM
:chuckle:

TacklingDummy
03-20-2006, 09:43 AM
But they still need to address the line, and JP would make good trade bait. Don't you think?

Donahoe wasted a 1st round pick on Losman. They would be lucky get a 6th round pick for him in a trade.

LMAO@ this JP Love Fest thread.

If JP can't beat out Holcomb he deserves to be cut.

Ebenezer
03-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Keep this in mind.

Cutting KH saves the Bills $125K on the cap.
Cutting JP costs the Bills $2.2 mil against the cap.

Philagape
03-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Of course Holcomb wants to start, like all QBs should -- I wouldn't want a QB who didn't want to start -- but is there any evidence that he's a "backstabber"? (I'm seriously asking).
Any athlete should want to get in the game and achieve; that's part of what makes them good athletes. There's a difference between that and trying to undermine your competition. My guess is a vast majority of backups want to start but are good teammates who support the starter. How do we know Holcomb isn't like that?
Should the Sabres cut Biron because he wants to be No. 1?

patmoran2006
03-20-2006, 09:49 AM

AGreed my man.
Only thing.. We do need a Frank Reich-type.. Maybe Nall can be that man.

However, we also need a JIM KELLY type.. And he's coming into the draft this year.

HIs name is Jay Cutler.

HAMMER
03-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Not going to happen.

mysticsoto
03-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Holcomb.

I think it's stupid to cut anyone. Holcomb isn't making that much for a decent backup QB. Unless they think Nall is just as good as Holcomb - but considering he has very little starting experience, I can't see how they could come to that conclusion...

They shouldn't cut anyone - it just doesn't make sense. Take this year, and honestly give JP a *real* chance to develop (unlike last year). Keep Holcomb in case of injuries...and start trying to develop a 3rd QB with potential into this new system (Nall). I really don't see what the problem is and why anyone should be cut. The FO needs to think twice about this issue.

patmoran2006
03-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Not going to happen.

I agree.. I can only hope.

Michael82
03-20-2006, 09:56 AM
Keep this in mind.

good point. :clap:

TacklingDummy
03-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Of course Holcomb wants to start, like all QBs should -- I wouldn't want a QB who didn't want to start -- but is there any evidence that he's a "backstabber"? (I'm seriously asking).
Any athlete should want to get in the game and achieve; that's part of what makes them good athletes. There's a difference between that and trying to undermine your competition. My guess is a vast majority of backups want to start but are good teammates who support the starter. How do we know Holcomb isn't like that?
Should the Sabres cut Biron because he wants to be No. 1?

Excellent post.

If anyone has a problem with starting its JP. Since he himself has said before last season started the "he feels uncomfortable leading older men". Woohoo, that's someone I want leading the Bills offense.

But IMO, none of them will be cut. Holcomb, JP, and Nall are all staying. And if JP can't beat Holcomb out at starter next year then he will be cut and the Bills will draft a QB next year.

Night Train
03-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Keep this in mind.

Who's left to sign where cap savings totaling less than 2 Mil will come into play ?

Cap savings can't complete a deep post down the sidelines. A QB with an actual arm can.

Mitchy moo
03-20-2006, 10:59 AM

:bullseye: right on the money!!

djjimkelly
03-20-2006, 11:01 AM

best post ive read in a month!!!!!

:posrep: :posrep:

patmoran2006
03-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Excellent post.

If anyone has a problem with starting its JP. Since he himself has said before last season started the "he feels uncomfortable leading older men". Woohoo, that's someone I want leading the Bills offense.

But IMO, none of them will be cut. Holcomb, JP, and Nall are all staying. And if JP can't beat Holcomb out at starter next year then he will be cut and the Bills will draft a QB next year.

I agree 100% and the way this team is looking right now, It's going to be Brady Quinn.

Now if we can only get Weiss to leave Notre Dame with him.. sigh.

lordofgun
03-20-2006, 12:54 PM
best post ive read in a month!!!!!

:posrep: :posrep:
Thanks! My biggest problem with Holcomb is that he seems to fool people into believing he can be a starter. And I think it's pretty obvious that he was a dividing force in the locker room last year.

I don't want a #2 who is always pushing to start. AVP and Reich are the type I want in here. Capable, but know their limitations, and support the starting QB.

ICE74129
03-20-2006, 12:56 PM

Best post today. we were told by cleveland fans 'by the end of the year that guy will devide your locker room'. And he did.

I agree Holcomb needs to go.

Michael82
03-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks! My biggest problem with Holcomb is that he seems to fool people into believing he can be a starter. And I think it's pretty obvious that he was a dividing force in the locker room last year.

I don't want a #2 who is always pushing to start. AVP and Reich are the type I want in here. Capable, but know their limitations, and support the starting QB.
Another good post. :bf1:

:posrep: