• Show
Clear All
  • lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

It's way past time...

...for Holcomb to be released.

He is NOT a backup. He will never be happy at backup, and will always fight to be the starter. That exact thing happened last year when he had one good game and said he hoped it was good enough to convince the coaches he should start.

We need a Frank Reich-type (and we may have that in Nall), who will be content at #2, but is capable when called upon.

Holcomb is one of those QBs who is never happy at #2, but not talented enough to be #1. These types of QBs will always divide the locker room, and Marv needs to send a message that this won't be tolerated by releasing Holcomb NOW.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

• kgun12
    • Jul 2002

Re: It's way past time...

Originally posted by lordofgun
    ...for Holcomb to be released.

He is NOT a backup. He will never be happy at backup, and will always fight to be the starter. That exact thing happened last year when he had one good game and said he hoped it was good enough to convince the coaches he should start.

We need a Frank Reich-type (and we may have that in Nall), who will be content at #2, but is capable when called upon.

Holcomb is one of those QBs who is never happy at #2, but not talented enough to be #1. These types of QBs will always divide the locker room, and Marv needs to send a message that this won't be tolerated by releasing Holcomb NOW.
    Agree 100%
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

Excellent Post, LOG! I completely agree!

I hope that the Nall signing is the first step towards Holcomb being cut.

Comment

• jmb1099
        • Sep 2004

Yup

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
          The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
          • Feb 2005

As my first official act as Grand Potentate in exile of the Buffalo Bills, I hereby appoint LordofGun as new GM/Coach/Grand Pubaa of my team.

His first decision to release Holcomb is proof that my choice is correct.

:)
          In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
            Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mikey82
            Excellent Post, LOG! I completely agree!

I hope that the Nall signing is the first step towards Holcomb being cut.
            I sort of disagree.

I think the signing of Nall leads to Losman being cut. The Milwaukee newspapers have gone on record saying that Nall "will compete for the starting job".

In addition, other reports indicate that Marv and some of the coaching staff have been overheard discussing their lack of confidence in Losman and that it will be a completely open competition - winner take all sort of thing.

If Losman has a bad camp he could be on the cutting block. They already know what the have in Holcomb. Nall has nothing to lose, really. They DON'T know what they have in JP - is he improving, can he get the job done, is he a franchise QB, etc - if he doesn't show those types of things in camp I could see them demoting Losman on the bench or even possibly dumping him eventually.

I've said it a ton of times before, this season will define Losman and his role, or lack there of, with this franchise.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Kelly Holcomb or bust

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jfreeman
                I sort of disagree.

I think the signing of Nall leads to Losman being cut. The Milwaukee newspapers have gone on record saying that Nall "will compete for the starting job".

In addition, other reports indicate that Marv and some of the coaching staff have been overheard discussing their lack of confidence in Losman and that it will be a completely open competition - winner take all sort of thing.

If Losman has a bad camp he could be on the cutting block. They already know what the have in Holcomb. Nall has nothing to lose, really. They DON'T know what they have in JP - is he improving, can he get the job done, is he a franchise QB, etc - if he doesn't show those types of things in camp I could see them demoting Losman on the bench or even possibly dumping him eventually.

I've said it a ton of times before, this season will define Losman and his role, or lack there of, with this franchise.
                WTF...this kind of stuff really pisses me off. He only had 9 ****ing games experience. How the hell could that be enough to make them give up on him!??! If they cut him before the season starts, I will be PISSED.

Comment

• mybills
                  81 st zoner
                  • Jul 2002

Wouldn't JP be a better trade value than Holcomb? I think JP is gone.
                  I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mikey82
                    WTF...this kind of stuff really pisses me off. He only had 9 ****ing games experience. How the hell could that be enough to make them give up on him!??! If they cut him before the season starts, I will be PISSED.
                    I know. I really have no clue what direction this franchie is headed, and I'm pretty sure the front office is operating under the same assumptions!

Losman has sucked, but he's only had 9 games.... 8 of of which were pretty rough. The guy deserves a season as the full-time starter to show everyone what he's got, or doesn't have.

This season is already a lost cause, they're not going to the playoffs. Let Losman take the snaps and prove his case, otherwise, he's gone after the season, IMO.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                      Too sober for this...
                      • Apr 2004

Personally, I think nobody is gone. We need 3 QBs. Remember last year when Holcomb got hurt. We need to have 3 QBs on our roster. Teams frequently charge after QBs and they are in a position to get hurt. I don't know how good Nall is, but I don't think that means that anyone else should be gone. And I disagree that we should get rid of Holcomb. I don't feel he is starter material, but I feel he is alot like Alex Van Pelt. A good backup to have. He is not going to win many games on his own, but he is not going to be AJ Feely and be completely lost either.

I had thought the Bills would give Woodbury (currently in NFL Europe) a chance, but this signing likely means that he will not become a 3rd string QB. Which means he will have to try and become a bill by other means. Wasn't he a WR also? I wonder if he should start working on that skillset instead. I remember Woodbury as being tough and able to play good STs. If he can come in at a different position, maybe he could be more valuable elsewhere. But right now, the chances are looking slim...

Comment

• mybills
                        81 st zoner
                        • Jul 2002

Myst - the FO has hinted that one of them will be cut.
                        I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                          I had thought the Bills would give Woodbury (currently in NFL Europe) a chance, but this signing likely means that he will not become a 3rd string QB.
                          I know, this confuses me even more. They've got 2 guys competing for the starting job. Woodbury is there, he's emergency QB. They had 3 guys. Why waste "what little cap space we have" on another QB when it is not a need position. WTF are they thinking?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mybills
                            Myst - the FO has hinted that one of them will be cut.
                            Holcomb.

Marv would be stupid to cut JP who isn't costing us too much cap space but has a lot of potential.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                              • Jan 2004

Another thing to keep in mind. Remember when Davis signed he said a big reason why he signed with the Bills was because of Kelly Holcomb. Maybe their ideal QB is a guy who plays like Holcomb (pocket passer) oppossed to Losman who is rambunctious at times, more of a gunslinger type... and though Holcomb isn't the long-term solution, they might keep him a year or two and draft "their guy" at QB as oppossed to TD's guy? Maybe they want to start tailoring an offense around that type of QB? Who freakin knows, at this point I'm completely lost with any rationale they are displaying.

And to make it worse they're virtually setting him up to fail by not improving the line. At this point in time the line is WORSE than it was last year, if that's even possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X