X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bling
    • Jul 2004

ESPN Insider--Brees failed Dolphin's physical

nough of the disingenuous rhetoric, please, about how Drew Brees signed with New Orleans because he felt at home with the Saints and was comfortable with the program that they are trying to rebuild. The fact is, Brees was left on Tuesday morning with nowhere else to go after he essentially failed the very rigorous physical examination the Miami Dolphins administered to him the previous day. Physical exams in the NFL are very subjective things, and the Miami medical staff felt that Brees' surgically repaired shoulder, although improving, wasn't quite far enough along for the financial exposure the Dolphins would have had if they had agreed to sign the former San Diego starter.

So, on Monday evening, with the medical evaluations in hand, the Dolphins, after determining that Brees and agent Tom Condon wouldn't reduce the contractual liability, turned their attentions back to acquiring quarterback Daunte Culpepper in a trade. Then, very early Tuesday morning -- reliable sources told ESPN.com -- Dolphins coach Nick Saban apprised Condon that Miami was out of the bidding for Brees. In fairness to Brees, Saban told Condon, the Dolphins would stay quiet about the results of the physical exam and the pending trade for Culpepper for a few hours. That would provide Condon and Brees, who had no negotiating leverage remaining with the Dolphins suddenly out of the picture, some time to complete the six-year, $60 million deal with Saints officials. In the end, the Dolphins simply thought Culpepper had a better chance of being on the field for training camp than Brees did.

"We're talking the quarterback position, right?" one Miami source said. "So what would you rather have, a guy coming off knee surgery or off shoulder surgery? You don't throw with your knee."
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: ESPN Insider--Brees failed Dolphin's physical

they made Brees throw for his physical and he failed.

They made Cpep throw for his physical and he passed.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

LMAO. So you want a guy to throw 10 weeks after surgery? Uh yeah he is going to fail his physical. the REALITY is so did pepper.

Comment

• Bling
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ICE74129
        LMAO. So you want a guy to throw 10 weeks after surgery? Uh yeah he is going to fail his physical. the REALITY is so did pepper.
        ICE, WTF are you talking about? Read it again.

Physical exams in the NFL are very subjective things, and the Miami medical staff felt that Brees' surgically repaired shoulder, although improving, wasn't quite far enough along for the financial exposure the Dolphins would have had if they had agreed to sign the former San Diego starter.

They examined his shoulder, and they said it's not healing well. We all know you're some expert on shoulders, but I'm pretty sure if a football medical staff member said to stay away from him, I would too. Did you even read how Brees covered up his exam? It's obvious the guy has been deceiving us all to believe that his shoulder is doing better... contrary to your expertise on labrum.

Comment

• ICE74129
          Legendary Zoner
          • Feb 2005

Here is what was printed....blah blah blah....we dont' want to get into a bidding war so we are just going to trade for a guy.....blah blah blah.

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

The story is pretty well known. Brees is not as far along in his recovery from surgery as is Culpepper, and Saban didn't want to commit as much money to signing him as he might have had doctors been able to assure him Brees would be close to fully recovered at the start of training camp. Doctors can't give that assurance. That kept the Dolphin's offer down. Brees opted for the money in NO instead. The Dolphins signed Culpepper instead. Culpepper is closer to recovery and does have a major league arm as well as mobility. I personally would have wanted Brees' consistency but whatever.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ICE74129
              Here is what was printed....blah blah blah....we dont' want to get into a bidding war so we are just going to trade for a guy.....blah blah blah.
              Huh?

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Aug 2004

Don't write off New Orleans drafting a QB just yet.

With the way Brees' contract is structured, if he isn't healthy it won't cost that much for New Orleans to drop him after this season. Also, I believe that it is only a 3 year deal. That means that they could still draft a "QB of the future" with their first pick and give him time to develop--both Young and Cutler are guys who are going to need time to develop before they are ready to step in. If Houston doesn't take Young--which they probably will not--it could be a big PR move for the Saints to take Young to develop behind Brees for a year. Even Leinart is not out of the question if Brees's shoulder is still a question-mark....
                Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• AndreReed83
                  Dink or dunk, Mularkey just plain stunk.
                  • Mar 2004

Didn't Brees suffer his injury well after Culpepper did?

"Look it up Thurman!!!" ~Marv Levy~
                  "It's like someone walking into your house and punching your mother RIGHT in the the face." ~Darryl Talley ~

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by AndreReed83
                    Didn't Brees suffer his injury well after Culpepper did?
                    Different injuries have different ways of healing.

Brees injured his shoulder and Cpep's is a hand injury.
                    sacrifice1

Comment

• Nighthawk
                      Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                      • Jul 2002

I'm sure he didn't pass his physical because of the time frame, but I'd bet money Culpepper didn't either. However, when you trade for a guy, you're not going to let him fail, especially when you knew what his injury was. No big deal, neither of them is a Bill.

Comment

• Bling
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                        Different injuries have different ways of healing.

Brees injured his shoulder and Cpep's is a hand injury.
                        It's a knee injury.

Comment

• Bling
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                          I'm sure he didn't pass his physical because of the time frame, but I'd bet money Culpepper didn't either. However, when you trade for a guy, you're not going to let him fail, especially when you knew what his injury was. No big deal, neither of them is a Bill.
                          Wrong again. Miami's deal with Minnesota was dependant on Culpepper passing a physical. He passed with flying colors.

Comment

• ICE74129
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Bling
                            Wrong again. Miami's deal with Minnesota was dependant on Culpepper passing a physical. He passed with flying colors.
                            If I wanted to say he did, he did. If I wanted to cover my ass for not getting into a bidding war I state the obvious....Brees can't pass a physical...yet. They are covering thier asses.

They didn't want to pay brees what NO did so they traded for the guy that they could get cheaper and get to restructure his contract.

It is much easier to trade for a guy than bid for him.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Bling
                              It's a knee injury.

Swoosh.

I knew that.
                              sacrifice1

Comment

Working...