PDA

View Full Version : The Nall signing

ghz in pittsburgh
03-21-2006, 12:39 PM
I view it as a subtle push for Losman. Nothing makes a young guy works harder than competition. Think of Brees in San Diego.

Realistically, you don't expect to sign a starting QB with $1 million per year. That's backup money. But I'm pretty sure they promised a competition for the starter job. That is a big departure from the previous regime.

Noone know for sure of the Levy/Jauron plan, but we can tell a bit from the little things they've done so far. They have a clear defensive and offensive plans. They cut older guys who they think are not good fit for their schemes. They are only interested in young FAs who have been exposed to their scheme. With the overall theme of youth, competition is heavily promoted. They have said on many occasions that all positions are open, including QB. Nalls fits right into that mold.

As far as Losman being shopped around? I don't believe it for a second. He's the youngest QB we have right now and he hasn't learned/played the new offensive scheme like everyone else. He has to be one allowed to compete for a job. In fact the kind of wide receivers they get so far indicates Losman is the kind of QB they'd like to see winning the job.

If nothing else, I see this regime being careful not repeating the mistakes of the previous regime, like announcing a virtual rookie being the new QB starter, irking all the veterans on the team.

That being said, I have to think that 2006 will not be a pretty year. Youth is being served, but with youth comes growing pains. This just might be such a year. A year for the kids to grow, a year for players to mesh, a year for the management to filter out unwanted parts.

Think about it, we are going to field an O-line where no one has been with this team for more than two years! I know people are pining for a Bentley or Runyn (sp?) or whoever. My opinion is that none of them can fix our problem immediately. By the time the line gets jelled and performing, those guys need to be replaced because of age. Besides, I don't know if they fit into the system McNally wants to run.

Despite the "win now" words coming out of Levy, his action clearly indicates they are taking the old traditonal approach. They want young players who can mature and still be together in 4 years down the road. The best way to find the right ones are competition.

btw, I somehow see them taking a linebacker in the draft because we don't have a lot of youth there. SS to me is the biggest hole in this defense and no cover 2 defense is successful without an outstanding safety.

Kerr
03-21-2006, 12:52 PM
A few things:

1) They definitely will take a linebacker in the draft.
2) Supposedly safeties are interchanable in the cover 2. Baker and Leonhard could surprise. They even signed Matt Bowen who'd a decent strong safety. I think the biggest hole is DT.
3) I've been reading some on that brodie coyle from alabama and like what I hear. ICE mentioned the bills were scouting him. He could end up being a better backup than Null in the long run.

patmoran2006
03-21-2006, 01:09 PM
I view it as a subtle push for Losman. Nothing makes a young guy works harder than competition. Think of Brees in San Diego.

Realistically, you don't expect to sign a starting QB with $1 million per year. That's backup money. But I'm pretty sure they promised a competition for the starter job. That is a big departure from the previous regime.

Noone know for sure of the Levy/Jauron plan, but we can tell a bit from the little things they've done so far. They have a clear defensive and offensive plans. They cut older guys who they think are not good fit for their schemes. They are only interested in young FAs who have been exposed to their scheme. With the overall theme of youth, competition is heavily promoted. They have said on many occasions that all positions are open, including QB. Nalls fits right into that mold.

As far as Losman being shopped around? I don't believe it for a second. He's the youngest QB we have right now and he hasn't learned/played the new offensive scheme like everyone else. He has to be one allowed to compete for a job. In fact the kind of wide receivers they get so far indicates Losman is the kind of QB they'd like to see winning the job.

If nothing else, I see this regime being careful not repeating the mistakes of the previous regime, like announcing a virtual rookie being the new QB starter, irking all the veterans on the team.

That being said, I have to think that 2006 will not be a pretty year. Youth is being served, but with youth comes growing pains. This just might be such a year. A year for the kids to grow, a year for players to mesh, a year for the management to filter out unwanted parts.

Think about it, we are going to field an O-line where no one has been with this team for more than two years! I know people are pining for a Bentley or Runyn (sp?) or whoever. My opinion is that none of them can fix our problem immediately. By the time the line gets jelled and performing, those guys need to be replaced because of age. Besides, I don't know if they fit into the system McNally wants to run.

Despite the "win now" words coming out of Levy, his action clearly indicates they are taking the old traditonal approach. They want young players who can mature and still be together in 4 years down the road. The best way to find the right ones are competition.

btw, I somehow see them taking a linebacker in the draft because we don't have a lot of youth there. SS to me is the biggest hole in this defense and no cover 2 defense is successful without an outstanding safety.

Outstanding post.. Real good.. and for the most part I agree with you.

But I have to respectfully disagree on one thing; the offensive line.

I dont get how you can say that Runyan and say Stephen Neal wouldn't be an immediate fix? That's a 10-year vet who NEVER misses a game and been too many Pro Bowls, and a nasty mean monster at guard who's had experience being part of football's best franchise. That's an IMMEDIATE upgrade at 40% of your O-line.. If McNally is ANY kind of Oline coach that everyone says he is, he would have NO problems making this work.

Every year and I mean EVERY year teams in the league go from 5-11, 6-10 and make the playoffs. I REFUSE to believe Buffalo couldn't be the 2006 for any other reason than Ralph Wilson will no longer spend the money to put the BEST product on the field, the product that 80,000 fans 8x per season deserve to see.

I have all the respect in the world for Marv Levy, but to this point I dont see him being anything more than a fancy hood ornament Wilson hired to sell the fans on. Since nobody will confirm this, I'll go on the assumption that he's among the ten lowest paid GMs in the NFL, and I'll bet my LIFE that Jauron is among the bottom five paid coaches.

I think marv was a very good coach on a team that arguably had the greatest collection of talent in NFL history. He's without DOUBT a chemistry man. He knows how to manage ego's better than anyone I've ever seen.

That being said, He's getting WAY too much credit for everything. It was POLIAN who built that O line and that team. NOt Levy.

I would love to see, but didn't EXPECT Buffalo to be Redskin-like players in Free Agency.. BUt I wont be sold on this character crap anymore.. I never seen character become so cheap.

Fix the damn Offensive line with MONEY so that JP Losman at least has a FAIR CHANCE to succeed.. *****.. WE all talk about feeling sorry for JP.. By the time he lines under center, he's going to WISH he had been traded.

Many bashed Donahoe, including myself. And for what reason.. The offensive line.. Levy has not signed a single linemen to this team, and the line we had last year is going to be EVEN WORSE this year.

At least Donahoe went out and paid for a defense that finished 2nd in the NFL in 2 of the past three seasons... If he'd have divided that money better on the OL as well and didnt draft Bust Williams, we'd be a playoff team right now.

If nothing else, with the exception of the '05 team that flat out QUIT in the second half of the season excluding one game; That defense donahoe BOUGHT kept us if nothing else competitive in most our games.

I dont see Marv's current path any different with the exception of Wilson being able to afford a few more days at the spa than when TD ran the team.

I refuse to believe Marv came to this team with a 3-4 year rebuilding plan in hand, ESPECIALLY hiring Jauron as coach. He said "win now" because I think thats what he thought we were getting into.

By the time this is good, marv is going to be 84-85 years old.. Most 85 year olds i know can barely wipe their own a$$ anymore, let alone competently run a football team. Look at Wilson between the ages of 80 and now 87, that guy is seriously off his rocker.

WE can't even get the Eric Moulds situation right. He's not taking a paycut and he's not restructuring either.. I dont need to be an insider at OBD to figure that out. His a$$ should have been cut before FA started and his money could have been put to use on an impact player; and I'm not talking Andre Davis.

And lastly, for anyone who just assumes because we're gonna suck this year by being cheap next year and have all this money to get a lot better in 2007, think again.

London Fletcher (far and away our best player in '05) is going to be a free agent. If he finally gets to a good level, so will Mark Kelsay... If WIllis doesn't already hold out for top -10 RB money this year, bet your azz he will next year.. And not to mention you'll be likely tagging Nate again next year (and for more money I suspect) because unless Ralph pays him franchise money now he's not signing long term. And I dont see Ralph paying ANYONE that kind of money on a team that's gonna suck this bad.

No disrespect to you personally, that was a great post with good points.

But you can call Andre DAvis, Matt Bowen, Craig Nall young and character.

I call them cheap.

PS- for the record, RUnyan is 32 and likely at least has 3-4 more solid years left in him.. About the same time it would take to draft a tackle and develop him to take over.

patmoran2006
03-21-2006, 01:29 PM
There is one scenario where I retract about rookies in regard to the offensive line; if they are good enough to START from day one.

For IE- I would trade our first round, both our thirds and a fourth to move up and take Brick.. and I would take Spencer in the second and I'll talk to you in about 6 years about the left side of the OL.

Those are the two guys that are better TODAY than the second level of FA's out there.. Fowler, Kenyetta Walker, etc..

This would NEVER happen as our cutting Sam ADams and failure to find a good replacement all but forces us to take Ngata or Bunkley. Plus these bums we signed have left too many holes to get that crazy with a draft trade.

justasportsfan
03-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Pat , has anyone ever told you that you are more than qualified to write for Billsreport.com?

ghz in pittsburgh
03-21-2006, 01:34 PM
I think the answer is clear, if indeed any FA has to meet Marv's criterion, then Runyan is out. You either follow your plan or you don't. Right now every indication from OBD is that they are doing the former.

Levy mentioned the Bills O-Line is inadequate. So he wants change. But change should follow your plan. Maybe, IN THEIR OPINION, none of the FAs, including Runyan, is worth pursuing. So you go to the draft. And there is nothing wrong with that. Do you know how many O-Linemen of the Steelers/Pats were FA signings?

patmoran2006
03-21-2006, 02:09 PM
I think the answer is clear, if indeed any FA has to meet Marv's criterion, then Runyan is out. You either follow your plan or you don't. Right now every indication from OBD is that they are doing the former.

Levy mentioned the Bills O-Line is inadequate. So he wants change. But change should follow your plan. Maybe, IN THEIR OPINION, none of the FAs, including Runyan, is worth pursuing. So you go to the draft. And there is nothing wrong with that. Do you know how many O-Linemen of the Steelers/Pats were FA signings?

I'm not stupid. I'm well aware of that.

But I am not convinced that Marv even has a criteria other than what's inside Ralph Wilson's pocket book.

If we were going this route it shouldn't have been with a 80-year old GM. Find the next great young mind and build a long-term plan around him.

I was sold on Marv under the impression we had the salary cap room (we did), hire a veteran coach who doesnt need to learn on the job (we did) and that this team would be COMMITTED to making a playoff push in 2006.

You had a defense ranked #2 in the NFL two of the last three years, and the likely return of TKO, it's heart and soul. Add Tripplett to play with Adams.. Replace MIlloy (since he wasnt a "fit) with a cover two guy who's started a game more recently than 2003 and I'd suspect that defense would be ranked real high again.

We have good skill players on offense with Evans and McGahee. We have potentially a good quarterback in JP Losman. THERE it is.. Spend the damn money on a real offensive line and the entire team gets better. Not five big-name new guys.. two solid veterans, a PROVEN tackle and center would have been sufficient.. Runyan and Mawae come to mind for me.

Right there alone.. Proven tackle, center, and Strong Safety (dont give me that crap Bowens was a good signing) along with Triplett (the only one they got right) and keep ADams and this was a team that could have contended or at least been competitive. That's FOUR free agents.. Not 7-8..

This team didnt even need an overhaul, they needed to upgrade four positions.

DRaft Vernon Davis in round one because A) He's sick and B) He would make Evans and JP better...Draft a guard 2nd to take Anderson's place, a tackle third to learn under the vet tackle and the line is good TODAY AND for the future.

It is SO uncomplicated. OR it should've been.

With this route I"ll start thinking playoffs in around 2009.. Last year's team sucked.. AT this rate, they'll look like the Marv-led teams of the early 90's by December in comparison.

The Natrix
03-21-2006, 02:17 PM

Nice post. This is exactly what I'm thinking. This will be the first time where the Bills will suck and I will not be dissapointed because of it, will expect it and deem it neccessary.

Billsrock4life
03-21-2006, 02:43 PM

i agree hopefully this brings the best out of JP. And i dont really think that its not that he isnt motivated i think its more gaining experience and learning how 2 b a successful QB in the NFL

realdealryan
03-21-2006, 03:29 PM
I think everyone is forgetting that Holcomb has moved on to bigger and better things....like American Idol.

http://www.idolonfox.com/contestants/i/f/taylor.jpg

Michael82
03-21-2006, 03:55 PM
I find the signing as a way to tell Kelly Holcomb to shut his mouth and quit being a pain in the ass, because he can be replaced. Actually, i think Holcomb is gone, as long as JP Losman does improve during the minicamps and training camp.