ghz in pittsburgh
03-21-2006, 11:38 AM
http://www.azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=812

Forget about Wells now.

patmoran2006
03-21-2006, 11:40 AM
another miscalculation by the Bills FO.

But hey.. "at least we tried."
10 bucks says Neal signs somewhere else sometime today or tommorow as well.

justasportsfan
03-21-2006, 11:40 AM
In coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Few seconds late :ill:

bigbub2352
03-21-2006, 11:41 AM
no crap that sucks!!!! new that was gonna happen

patmoran2006
03-21-2006, 11:44 AM
In coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Few seconds late :ill:
LOL.. NOpe.. Not incoming.. I dont expect anyone who's started more than 50% of games last year (minus someone who was an INJURY replacement starter) to be considered by the BIlls anymore.

Kerr
03-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Obviously Wells wanted to stay in Arizona too. They had a meeting with him and unless he wanted to stay with them, they wouldn't have bothered matching the offer to a player that wanted to move on.

patmoran2006
03-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Maybe we'll target Mike Pucillo next.

patmoran2006
03-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Obviously Wells wanted to stay in Arizona too. They had a meeting with him and unless he wanted to stay with them, they wouldn't have bothered matching the offer to a player that wanted to move on.

I have close to $30 million reasons why they were matching the offer to wells, regardless of whether he wanted to play for them or not.

"Edgerrin James"

RedEyE
03-21-2006, 11:48 AM
No real suprise here.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Why the negativity? Levy tried under the rule. And the cards played within the rule, too.

I've said before you have a clear direction of where you want to go and you execute the plan. For the Bills they must have Wells on the top of their list, so they give their shot. It did not work. So now they move onto plan B, being another FA or the draft.

Anyone who managed a business knows this: you have a plan and you execute it. Sometimes the environment presents conditions you have to wait then you wait. Those who follows through are the ones that survives and move onto to better and bigger things.

If Levy's plan calls for O-Linemen with certain criterions, such as for FAs below certain age, having certain ability, with certain dollar amout, then just follow through the plan. There is nothing wrong with that.

Michael82
03-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Marv better be offering the same deal or better to Stephen Neal now. :pray:

patmoran2006
03-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Why the negativity? Levy tried under the rule. And the cards played within the rule, too.

I've said before you have a clear direction of where you want to go and you execute the plan. For the Bills they must have Wells on the top of their list, so they give their shot. It did not work. So now they move onto plan B, being another FA or the draft.

Anyone who managed a business knows this: you have a plan and you execute it. Sometimes the environment presents conditions you have to wait then you wait. Those who follows through are the ones that survives and move onto to better and bigger things.

If Levy's plan calls for O-Linemen with certain criterions, such as for FAs below certain age, having certain ability, with certain dollar amout, then just follow through the plan. There is nothing wrong with that.

I applaud Marv's thinking in Wells.. cant take that away from him. I just don't think it took Peter King to figure out it wasn't going to work.

justasportsfan
03-21-2006, 12:01 PM
IF McNally doesn't think these guys are major upgrades over what we have, I'm sure Marv will offer a contract according to what they are worth to this team.

Marv's no dummy, he's had guys like Hull in his offensive line.

BigGabes23
03-21-2006, 12:02 PM
I think everyone needs to keep in mind we are trying to re-build here. We need young players who will outperform their contract, not thirty somethings that will be minor upgrades this year, and a cap burdon for the next three. While I have suffered along with you all for the past 6 years, Marv has untill May 1st 2007 (right after the draft) untill I question the moves he is not making.

patmoran2006
03-21-2006, 12:18 PM
I think everyone needs to keep in mind we are trying to re-build here. We need young players who will outperform their contract, not thirty somethings that will be minor upgrades this year, and a cap burdon for the next three. While I have suffered along with you all for the past 6 years, Marv has untill May 1st 2007 (right after the draft) untill I question the moves he is not making.

The day he cashed his first paycheck I have every right to question any move he has or hasn't made. The day I go to OBD and pay $130 from my bank account to buy game tickets I have every right to question any move. This is a FAN forum. I don't need to be impressed with a move or lack of to voice an opinion.

Not to say you claim your position is better than mine either, BTW. You make a lot of logical sense. I'm just fed up with the losing and changing our game plan every year.

I am WITH you on trying to sign WElls.. I only said that it wasn't hard to figure out it wasn't happening. Therefore, to me, Wells in this particular case appears to be a waste of time when there are other guards, ANY better than Bennie Anderson that time and potentially money could have been better spent.

acehole
03-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Well...we could wait for first cut downs.....

There are allways some:bam: bodies there...

Jeff1220
03-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Not likely, but possible, maybe...just trying to put on a positive spin. Something like this was mentioned before, but consider this....the Bills just hooked Wells up(and his agent)big time. Because Marv made an offer, Wells got a payday that might have otherwise not come (at least not this soon). Who is Wells' agent? Maybe this agent has another player he could lean toward the Bills in thanks of the favor Marv just did for him.

patmoran2006
03-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Not likely, but possible, maybe...just trying to put on a positive spin. Something like this was mentioned before, but consider this....the Bills just hooked Wells up(and his agent)big time. Because Marv made an offer, Wells got a payday that might have otherwise not come (at least not this soon). Who is Wells' agent? Maybe this agent has another player he could lean toward the Bills in thanks of the favor Marv just did for him.

Business actually does get done that way every now and then..

Devin
03-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Wells should at least send a thank you card for the payday he got.

Bmax
03-21-2006, 01:14 PM
neal is visiting....with the texans on wed...Better call his agent and fax him the deal now.......

Bmax...

SquishDaFish
03-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Pat just shut up already.

Dozerdog
03-21-2006, 01:45 PM
http://www.wgr550.com/fullstory.php?id=1460

justasportsfan
03-21-2006, 01:49 PM
You're slackin off Dozer.

Saratoga Slim
03-21-2006, 02:19 PM

Dude, I am standing on my chair clapping. If the FA cupboard is bare, which it really is this year, what do you want the Marv man to do? Who have we really missed out on?

1) Bentley? Nope. Wanted to be in Cleveland
2) Hutchinson? Good lord no. 49M for a Guard?
3) Archuletta? 36M for a pretty good SAFETY? unbelievable. the guy is not Ronnie Lott.
4) Wells? Marv tried with a storng offer, Arizona trumped it
5) Pickett? Maybe. He got a very solid contract from GB, but I'll give you this one, we could have maybe ponied a little more. But is he really a stud, and how much more would it have taken to get him outta GB? Questionable.
6) Rocky Bernard. was clearly staying in Seattle
7) Russel Davis. Questionable value. Decent player, maybe not Marv's character mold
8) Fabini? He's kinda old, coming of a major injury. you can't fault Marv for not trowing a huge contract at a short-term solution
9) Runyon? Clearly is not leaving his couch for interview, and clearly wants to stay in the NY-NJ corridor.
10) Mawae? Old. See Fabini

The list goes on. I'm disappointed we haven't retooled more heavily, but simply do not see where Marv can be faulted

BigGabes23
03-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Pat, I understand it is your right to question, but these guys are simply getting overpaid (AWESOME POST SARATOGA). I was mad, untill I saw what these guys were getting paid. None of these guys we missed out on were going to help us out long term. We need to do what the Browns did last year. Cut all of the waste and begin to get guys in who fit your system, at a good price. Then pick your spots with some big name FA's.

BillsFever21
03-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Pat, I understand it is your right to question, but these guys are simply getting overpaid (AWESOME POST SARATOGA). I was mad, untill I saw what these guys were getting paid. None of these guys we missed out on were going to help us out long term. We need to do what the Browns did last year. Cut all of the waste and begin to get guys in who fit your system, at a good price. Then pick your spots with some big name FA's.

With the new CBA every contract signed now is gonna seem like the player was overpaid. The players got raises.

If this is the case and any big contract seems like they're being overpaid we better never re-sign anybody or bring in any top FA's. That's the going price for these players now.

I'd rather overpay for a good player though then overpay for backups like Royal and slot receivers like Reed and Davis. Throw in a couple million a year for Chicago's backup DE we also signed.

We're throwing 2 million a year for other teams junk and are gonna make them starters on our team. This is the sad thing if you ask me.

Marv better ace the draft this year. Our roster has gotten worse this year then it was last year. Unless Marv can pull out at least 3 impact players out of his ass in the draft this year we will be fighting it out for the #1 pick in the draft next year. Even with them we're not gonna be any good and will have a Top 10 pick but without some impact players we're gonna have the #1 pick in the draft next season.

There were some good young FA's out there. There were also some on the OL that we could've desperately used and would've given us more flexibility in the draft. Not saying they would've came here but we never even tried. We chose not to go after any of them and instead give a bunch of other teams junk 2 million a year each. We had the money to go after these guys and could've replaced the backups we signed in the draft for more then half of the price we're paying them.

patmoran2006
03-21-2006, 03:28 PM

Ive begged for two guys and for two guys only since the day FA began: Neal and Runyan. and neither of them are signed anywhere... Anything else woulda been gravy to me.

And as far as long term.. Dude, I"m just trying to watch a home playoff game in January for once.

guy
03-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Dude, I am standing on my chair clapping. If the FA cupboard is bare, which it really is this year, what do you want the Marv man to do? Who have we really missed out on?

1) Bentley? Nope. Wanted to be in Cleveland
2) Hutchinson? Good lord no. 49M for a Guard?
3) Archuletta? 36M for a pretty good SAFETY? unbelievable. the guy is not Ronnie Lott.
4) Wells? Marv tried with a storng offer, Arizona trumped it
5) Pickett? Maybe. He got a very solid contract from GB, but I'll give you this one, we could have maybe ponied a little more. But is he really a stud, and how much more would it have taken to get him outta GB? Questionable.
6) Rocky Bernard. was clearly staying in Seattle
7) Russel Davis. Questionable value. Decent player, maybe not Marv's character mold
8) Fabini? He's kinda old, coming of a major injury. you can't fault Marv for not trowing a huge contract at a short-term solution
9) Runyon? Clearly is not leaving his couch for interview, and clearly wants to stay in the NY-NJ corridor.
10) Mawae? Old. See Fabini

The list goes on. I'm disappointed we haven't retooled more heavily, but simply do not see where Marv can be faulted

Great Post!!

Saratoga Slim
03-21-2006, 03:29 PM
With the new CBA every contract signed now is gonna seem like the player was overpaid. The players got raises.

If this is the case and any big contract seems like they're being overpaid we better never re-sign anybody or bring in any top FA's. That's the going price for these players now.

I'd rather overpay for a good player though then overpay for backups like Royal and slot receivers like Reed and Davis. Throw in a couple million a year for Chicago's backup DE we also signed.

We're throwing 2 million a year for other teams junk and are gonna make them starters on our team. This is the sad thing if you ask me.

Marv better ace the draft this year. Our roster has gotten worse this year then it was last year. Unless Marv can pull out at least 3 impact players out of his ass in the draft this year we will be fighting it out for the #1 pick in the draft next year. Even with them we're not gonna be any good and will have a Top 10 pick but without some impact players we're gonna have the #1 pick in the draft next season.

There were some good young FA's out there. There were also some on the OL that we could've desperately used and would've given us more flexibility in the draft. Not saying they would've came here but we never even tried. We chose not to go after any of them and instead give a bunch of other teams junk 2 million a year each. We had the money to go after these guys and could've replaced the backups we signed in the draft for more then half of the price we're paying them.

Who in particular do you think we dropped the ball on?

I will admit that Make Kemoatu or whatever his name was from Baltimore would have looked good as a run-stopper next to Triplett's pass rush. Other than him I can't really think of anyone that I think we ignored without reason. Like I said, Pickett would also have been nice, but Marv tried that door.

patmoran2006
03-21-2006, 03:38 PM
We dropped the ball by cutting Sam Adams without having someone to take his place.. It wasnt hard to see why our defense was so awful last year.

I would say no biggie bring on Bunkley.. The problem is since we refuse to spend any real money on the offensive line its going to be addressed all day come April 29..

I still dont think we totally dropped the ball yet because there are a small handful of good linemen out there who can make this offense respectable in 2006 still. We'll see what happens the rest of the week.

patmoran2006
03-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Who in particular do you think we dropped the ball on?

I will admit that Make Kemoatu or whatever his name was from Baltimore would have looked good as a run-stopper next to Triplett's pass rush. Other than him I can't really think of anyone that I think we ignored without reason. Like I said, Pickett would also have been nice, but Marv tried that door.

And just for the record with Kemo.. The first two years of his contract are LESS than the salary Adams would have made this year.

Saratoga Slim
03-21-2006, 03:55 PM
We dropped the ball by cutting Sam Adams without having someone to take his place.. It wasnt hard to see why our defense was so awful last year.

I would say no biggie bring on Bunkley.. The problem is since we refuse to spend any real money on the offensive line its going to be addressed all day come April 29..

I still dont think we totally dropped the ball yet because there are a small handful of good linemen out there who can make this offense respectable in 2006 still. We'll see what happens the rest of the week.

Unless Sam was a much bigger locker-room problem than I think he was, I'm inclined to agree with you there. I thought that was a little premature.

Mitchy moo
03-21-2006, 04:27 PM
http://www.azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=812

Forget about Wells now.

oops i'm a little late.

patmoran2006
03-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Unless Sam was a much bigger locker-room problem than I think he was, I'm inclined to agree with you there. I thought that was a little premature.

There was only one real problem in the locker room last year.. Unfortunately he just happen to be the head coach of the football team.